CAP 12 CAP 1 - Part 4 -(Stat Limits)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that Physical Tankiness and Physical Sweepiness should take priority for this pokemon's stats. It should be able to take hits and dish them out, but it shouldn't be fast enough to sweep teams. CAP 1 shouldn't be bulky enough to take STAB SE special attacks, but it should be able to survive weaker special hits.

Also, Close Combat + Guard Swap + Prankster would be awesome.

Using the BSR spreadsheet, I've placed my opinion that the momentum Pokemon should focus mostly Physical Tankiness, particularly on the defensive. As for it's offensive leaning, I think we should head for Special Sweepiness, with little emphasis on Speed to prevent sweeping. This way, it can hit many Pokemon in their weak points. The exception being Reinculus, who you won't be in against anyway.

I'm going to use both the 1-10 scale everyone else is using and the scale from the calculator.

PT: 8 (Fantastic)
ST: 7 (Excellent)
PS: 5 (Average)
SS: 6 (Above Average)

Dracolosse said:
Next is Special sweepiness, which is better than physical IMO. Aura Sphere is as reliable as it gets as a special STAB, and Air Slash is pretty awesome as wasted turns for your opponents are formidably useful to make his momentum disappear. They aren't absurdly powerful as Brave Bird / Close Combat are, which would help our CAP to avoid becoming just a generic sweeper.
I'm afraid giving CAP 1 Drain Punch, as Deck Knight mentioned, would turn it into yet another Bulk Up sweeper and that breaking screens isn't a sufficient effect to resort to such a weak STAB as Brick Break (especially is you're defensive). Plus many common pokemon have lower SpD than Def (for example, all mixed sweepers go rash/naive), and very few actually have significantly more SpD. Beating Conkeldurr, which should have been an advantage of CAp 1's typing, wouldn't be possible with Physical attacks. So Special sweepiness is definitely the way to go.
I don't mean to single this post out, but there are some points here that I want to address that seem to be shared by a number of people. First of all, there's nothing wrong with CAP 1 being powerful, so Brave Bird shouldn't be avoided entirely for that reason. Our best examples of momentumon's thus far, being Breloom and Heatran, are very powerful, however, their low speed and means that they won't be sweeping any time soon. So, there isn't really anything wrong with a powerful and slow CAP 1 (in fact, it would probably by better as it would threaten pokemon out better and threaten switch-ins as well). Also, a low speed would make Air Slash's flinch chance pretty useless, as Deck Knight pointed out.

It also seems very unlikely that CAP 1 would get any offensive boosting move. It is very important that CAP 1 does not become a sweeper, and Bulk Up would certainly help it become one. I understand that there is precedent for Fighting-types receiving Bulk Up, but CAP doesn't always have to follow in-game rules, not to mention that B/W has blown tons of old Type/Move or Move/Move requirements out of the water (Keldo not receiving Ice Beam, Reuniclus getting Thunder but not Thunderbolt, etc). You also said that we shouldn't resort to a STAB as weak as Brick Break, which has the same BP as Air Slash... I also think that Drain Punch is fantastic for helping maintain momentum through healing, and especially healing off recoil in conjunction with Brave Bird (which I personally is a great attack in the vein of Heatran's Fire Blast).

Another move that has been brought up as both a bad and a good one for CAP 1 is Close Combat. The people that have argued against it have mostly said that it is too powerful, and I agree, especially with the high number of types that Fighting hits for super effective damage. I think that Brave Bird is far more acceptable because it hits few Pokemon for super effective damage, and is much easier to wall (most importantly, two high base power moves STAB moves shouldn't be available in conjunction, as it is with powerful offensive coverage that CAP 1 moves away from Breloom and Heatran and into Sweeper territory. Something like Brave Bird / Drain Punch would be much more reasonable imo). More importantly Close Combat though is the stat decreases, which sap away momentum and make it easier for opponents to force you out, especially if CAP 1 has a low speed. Similar moves that have negative effects that can seriously harm momentum should also be avoided, such as Superpower, which practically requires you to switch after using it, or Cross Chop, due to the 20% chance of missing and accomplishing nothing.

For those proposing a Physical Tankiness of 8, I'd like to put some perspective into that number. Skarmory and Gliscor, two Pokemon that no one would question have the ability switch into physical attacks regularly, are in the lower half of rank 7. Swampert barely has rank 6. Rank 8 is stuff like Forretress, Hippowdon, and Registeel. Do we really need that much?

The way I see it, we should look for a more balanced approach to this Pokemon, along the lines of Crobat. Crobat has 6PS/5PT/5SS/5ST. Now, obviously we're going to want to improve on this, seeing as Crobat isn't exactly OU material.

If Swampert can get by with rank 6 physical tankiness, then CaP1 can too. Especially considering that Roost is likely to be in the movepool.

Crobat was a pretty good threat with a high rank 6 physical sweepiness and STAB Brave Bird. CaP1 has the option of that as well as several high power STAB fighting moves that get great coverage with flying attacks. Add to the fact that we're unlikely to run 130 base speed, and we can put even more into attack. Rank 6 physical sweepiness seems more than enough.

Due to lower power STABs, special sweepiness should have a bit more power. Special sweepiness has the nicety of targeting the lower special defense of Pokemon like Conkeldurr and Scizor. Not to mention the fact that Conkeldurr can't boost his defense. Rank 7 special sweepiness includes Pokemon like Starmie and Infernape, while Rank 6 includes Pokemon like Jirachi and Rotom-A. Rank 6-7 seems reasonable here.

Lastly, special tankiness is getting the short end of the stick. We're more focused on physical switch-ins, and a lot of special mons we just can't do a lot to. Rank 5 seems about right. Gliscor has a mid-rank 4 special tankiness, and I think we want to be a bit better than him at it.

So, in conclusion, I say

Physical Sweepiness: 6
Physical Tankiness: 6
Special Sweepiness: 6-7
Special Tankiness: 5

We don't need incredibly awesome stats here, people. There's still the ability and movepool left, and the less we give here, the more we can give then.

C'mon guys, You want Physical Tankiness and Physical Sweepiness? Physical Sweepiness means Close Combat lowering defenses, Brave Bird lowering health and some problems with Conkeldurr (meh, even with a Bulk Up Brave Bird will still make lots of damage, but recoil + taking a +1 Drain Punch from that thing probably means that you won't have health to take anything else... You can use Acrobatics, but that means no Lefties :/. The only Pokémon that CAP 1 could take out better with Physical Sweepiness is Terakion, but it also goes down with 2 Aura Spheres.

Woudn't be much better just OHKO with Air Slash? Air Slash and Aura Sphere are much more reliable than CC and BB (this is not a sweeper, we already have Staraptor to do that)... Also, the flinches from Air Slash will help A LOT if you want to regain momentum.

This is why I suggest:

PT: 6
PS: 4
ST: 5
SS: 6

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
C'mon guys, You want Physical Tankiness and Physical Sweepiness? Physical Sweepiness means Close Combat lowering defenses, Brave Bird lowering health and some problems with Conkeldurr (meh, even with a Bulk Up Brave Bird will still make lots of damage, but recoil + taking a +1 Drain Punch from that thing probably means that you won't have health to take anything else... You can use Acrobatics, but that means no Lefties :/. The only Pokémon that CAP 1 could take out better with Physical Sweepiness is Terakion, but it also goes down with 2 Aura Spheres.

Woudn't be much better just OHKO with Air Slash? Air Slash and Aura Sphere are much more reliable than CC and BB (this is not a sweeper, we already have Staraptor to do that)... Also, the flinches from Air Slash will help A LOT if you want to regain momentum.

This is why I suggest:

PS: 4
ST: 5
SS: 6
The beautiful thing about physical Fighting and Flying attacks is that there are so many of them.

Consider the following list for Competitive Special STABs if we go with Special Sweepiness:

Fighting:
Focus Blast
Aura Sphere
Vacuum Wave

A power attack, an accurate attack, and priority. Not too bad here, though 70% accuracy is suspect.

Flying:
Hurricane
Air Slash
And Aeroblast if reach lets us steal from Lugia.

Here we have a power attack that mandates Rain, a weaker attack with imperfect accuracy to boot that could flinch if CAP 1 were fast, but it may not be, and then there's Aeroblast which does have some weight to it but is still not 100% accurate.

Pretty much all of these attacks are only useful for damaging opponents, and gain momentum in no other way.

Contrast Competitive Fighting and Flying physical STABs:

Fighting:
Focus Punch
Hi Jump Kick
Close Combat
Superpower
Jump Kick
Hammer Arm
Cross Chop
Sky Uppercut
Drain Punch
Brick Break
Circle Throw
Force Palm
Mach Punch
Reversal

Plus Sacred Sword if reach lets us steal from the Gen V Beasts.

I didn't even list the multi-hit moves, but this is a smorgasboard of useful effects from HP Drain, Screen Breaking, Phazing, Paralysis, priority, and a few other attacks with varying degrees of drawback to their decent Base Power.

Flying:
Brave Bird
Bounce
Drill Peck
Pluck
Sky Drop
Acrobatics

Flying isn't quite the utility belt Fighting is, but there is Bounce for paralysis, Drill Peck to provide stable damage, and Acrobatics can be quite useful with Lum Berry or Flying Jewel.

Just looking at the STAB options available, I find it difficult to make a compelling argument that physical fighting attacks are not entirely superior to special ones for the purpose of momentum. Even if we were to completely excise any Fighting attack with 100 or more Base Power to avoid a Bulk Up sweeper, physical Fighting would still have a rewarding array of STABs to use that can gain or break momentum. Special Fighting and Flying attacks simply pale in comparison.

PS: 5
SS: 4
ST: 6

That would be my numbers for CAP 1. Given that we have a ridiculous STAB combination (resisted only by Electric/Flying types and normal Rotom), we need to avoid giving it high offensive stats. A small bias towards the physical is for the best given our STAB options, as stated by DK above.

Well if Cap 1 has a lower PS and PT wouldn't this be covered by bulk up/sword dance? I've used a gallade as a wall with Bulk Up and it can take some hits. I don't think we should give it Close COmbat it makes it "reckless" and we want something to stop the opponent, not give it free OHKO's. Brave Bird's recoil can be dealt with by roost (please dear god he should have this) or drain punch.

Flying/Fighting is an awesome type combo. If we want this thing to remain a momentum-mon, and not just degenerate into yet another sweeper, we need to make this thing defencively biased. Not Shuckle level, but something that can dish out and take hits without ever getting the opportunity to sweep. I think a spread similar to Ferrothorn's in the right idea. Something like this:

PS=4 (Below Average)
SS=4 (Below Average)
PT=7 (Excellent)
ST=7 (Excellent)

again, we don't have to limit either of it's offensive stats. just because most set's will take advantage of the wider physical options doesn't mean we should limit it's special capabilities. just because lucario only has focus blast and aura sphere as it's special fighting stabs doesn't make it any less effective as a special attacker.

PT: 7
PS: 6
ST: 7
SS: 2

This poke (considering its typing) really has no business even trying to use Special Attacks since they are all subpar as far as threatening potential, due to shaky accuracy or low base power. In order to cause momentum we need to come in on resisted attacks / immunities and immediately threaten the opponent. With solid defenses and physical attack, CAP 1 can immediately accomplish its intended task. With powerful STAB moves such as Close Combat and Brave Bird, there isn't much that really wants to get hammered by that as unless it is considerably bulky. One of the main reasons why Infernape is such a solid scouter and forcer of switches (once in safely) is because of the massive base power of its STAB moves Fire Blast and Close Combat, which combined have pretty darn good coverage and they hit some of the metagames most defensive pokes super effectively. With more physical threatening power CAP 1 can make better use of popular momentum gaining strategies such as U-Turn spamming (to dent opponents).

While granted, since it will now be incapable of successfully running specially based sets will make it more predictable, but this can be mediated simply because of its astounding bulk and physical power, since most physical walls it probably wont be able to deal with to a great extent anyway, unless for some weird reason CAP 1 was granted a mew-like movepool and got access to the elemental beams...

Don't poll jump to movepools!

I don't mean to cut the cool discussion some of you guys are having, but you're poll jumping now and this isn't the place for it. (Note that this isn't talking about most posts, but only a specific distracting few) We should absolutely not be discussing whether CAP1 should get Bulk Up, Brick Break, Drain Punch, Brave Bird, Focus Blast, Aura Sphere, or whatever other moves it may end up getting based on tons of factors. That is all against the rules. If you want to relate the possible moves that will be available with a certain stat spread, that's fine, but right now the discussion has gone too far. Let's keep it on track.
I personally think that CAP1 should be specially biased in its offenses. The reasoning for this will echo a few other posters in the thread, but is given below.

• CAP1 shouldn't be overly vulnerable to opposing Intimidate or status such as burn
CAP1 needs to be a momentum grabber, and so shouldn't be vulnerable to an unnecessarily large swath of different effects that enemies can throw its way. If the opponent brings in Gyarados on CAP1, CAP1 pretty much doesn't do much even if it managed to get its Sub up. As a matter of fact, this turns CAP1 into setup bait even if it packs status moves, since Gyarados might end up faster and may be able to setup a Substitute of its own. This is echoed in cases such as Jellicent or when switching into random Scald attacks that have 30% chances to burn. We don't want our momentum grabber to randomly be a momentum loser.

• CAP1's typing and concept means that where necessary, it can still punch through Fighting-weak special walls
Many of the special walls in the generation are weak to Fighting-type attacks. Tyranitar, Blissey, Chansey, Ferrothorn, all of them are hit for super effective damage by Fighting-type attacks. This won't necessarily make CAP1 a wallbreaker, but lends itself to the thought process that we're not gimping CAP1 by making it specially inclined.

• Special bias allows CAP1 to better capitalize on Pokemon that tend to invest heavily in their Defense stats, while those that invest in Special Defense can be taken advantage of by typing
There are lots of these defensive Pokemon, spanning Reuniclus to Gliscor to, and regardless of what we choose, their heavily invested physical defense will neuter CAP1 against them if we choose physical bias. Furthermore, almost all of the Pokemon that CAP1 may eventually be tailored to switch in against through stats, such as Conkeldurr, Bisharp, Ferrothorn, Landorus, Garchomp, Gliscor, Blaziken, Skarmory, Scizor, Zoroark, Excadrill, and more, have either the same physical and special bulk or better physical bulk. Additionally, Pokemon that will take advantage of CAP1 by typing, such as Reuniclus and Sigilyph have higher special bulk (and then boost it with CM), making them even more predictable switch-ins to CAP1.

These things, to me, indicate that a special bias is really the way to go for CAP1 even in the face of the movepool points that Deck Knight elucidated above. I feel that the following biases would be reasonable for CAP1:

• PS: Below Average
  • SS: Very Good
  • PT: Very Good
  • ST: Very Good
There's a lot of flexibility in those for people to get creative, but spreads that attempt to maximize everything possible will not go over well with reach and myself. I think as far as limits go, this is the way CAP1 should look.
Sambobz said:
gain, we don't have to limit either of it's offensive stats.
We want CAP1 to be predictable. Being either a mixed, physical, or special attacker all in one is too much versatility for the Pokemon. We shouldn't be making our opponent's guess what our plan is, we should make them play into our hands predictably.

Destiny Warrior

also known as Darkwing_Duck
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I've been looking into this, and these are the limits I feel we should have for CAP1.

PT: 7(Very Good)
ST: 7(Very Good)
PS: 6(Good)
SS: 5(Above Average)

To be momentum oriented, we want to discourage a sweeper. For this purpose, its PS and SS must not be 7-rated. We can still achieve a good attack stat with these limits, but we then sacrifice speed, which I feel is very important. These limits provide freedom, while applying some much-needed restrictions.

On the other hand, 7-rated tankiness will allow us the ability to switch into several threats and force them out, so that we can gain momentum. Without such good tankiness, we will have to resort to making a sweeper in order to fulfil the concept.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think most people already got the idea-- it needs to hit moderately, take physical hits very well, be able to take special hits moderately when need be, and doesn't really need to have special offensive prowess.

This CAP is trying to force a switch, but be able to do something productive with that switch, not just be forced out by whatever the opponent sends in.

Toughness: That being in mind, it needs to have bulk on both sides of the spectrum. What good is HUGE Physical defense if a Special sweeper will make you switch? We picked its typing because it will minimize the effectiveness of moves used by the regular Physical threats. Typing itself (and offensive threat) will goad the opponent into switching, not having ridiculous Physical defense. Specially its typing is lacking, and although it will probably be switching out of Thunduros, etc., we don't want it to pose no threat to pokes with powerful Special STABs, especially Water or Fire STABs in Rain or Sun, respectively. Because of this, its Special defense should in fact be larger.

ST: 7

Sweepiness:
The Fighting secondary typing was chosen partially because of its offensive potential coupled with Flying. A balanced offensive threat will be the most useful, as going either fully Physical or Special will allow it to be walled way too easily (and without a boosting move will force it to switch). If we made this poke Specially oriented, Blissey would be a problem for it. Being weak to Toxic and relying on special moves that are truly limited to an inaccurate Focus Blast or a relatively weak Aura Sphere to kill it could still be problematic. Blissey either walls completely or does not wall, and if it does wall, it is going to do something (wish, aromatherapy) that will lose you momentum. On the other hand, a Physical bias will get it walled by things like Gliscor and Skarmory, who threaten it out with their STABs. A balanced stat spread could allow this poke to hit with the right moves on the right pokes, and because of this, it doesn't need to have huge stats. Because its Physical movepool is better (perks and power), it would be fair to give it a slightly higher Special attack stat to compensate for this, and to prevent it from becoming a Bulk Up sweeper, as mentioned.

PS: 6
SS: 7

Feel free to deconstruct this.

I may add that for example in Ferro, most of the physical sweepers loose half their life when trying to kill him, that is due iron barbs and this kind of passive damage and passive status (like Flame Body) and slowly loosing life/turns due to toxic/burn/paralysis

We want CAP1 to be predictable. Being either a mixed, physical, or special attacker all in one is too much versatility for the Pokemon. We shouldn't be making our opponent's guess what our plan is, we should make them play into our hands predictably.
While we do want to be predictable, by going either majorly Physical or Special will force situations that, even as a momentum mon, cannot be exploited. Sure, Special walls are weak to Fighting, but Special Fighting moves aren't helping this mon "punch through them" unless it has brute force, or luck. Even if it tried, many of these walls have ways to retaliate (Blissey: Toxic, Tyranitar: STAB Stone Edge), or abuse a switch (Wish and Aromatherapy, Stealth Rock). Can't this mon be predictable in its consentual use as a mixed attacker?

Destiny Warrior

also known as Darkwing_Duck
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If it predictably can lure out the special/physical walls, you can easily switch to take advantage of it, and gain momentum.

Example: If CAP1 were a specially based Pokemon(note, this is only an example, I eprsonally do not support this), and it repeatedly lured out Blissey, you can switch out to Excadrill, and gain massive amounts of offensive momentum.

If it predictably can lure out the special/physical walls, you can easily switch to take advantage of it, and gain momentum.

Example: If CAP1 were a specially based Pokemon(note, this is only an example, I eprsonally do not support this), and it repeatedly lured out Blissey, you can switch out to Excadrill, and gain massive amounts of offensive momentum.
The fact that I must defend my idea this much should be a clue that it isn't very good, but I have one thing that bugs me about this. In your scenario the board is a 3/4 HP Blissey against out Specially oriented CAP. Due to Wifi Clause, a smart/insightful opponent may know of an upcoming Physical threat, and all they would have to do is double switch. Now they have an advantageous match-up against your frail sweeper, which must now switch. In general, whoever switches first due to a poor match-up has the higher chance of losing momentum. I thought this mon had to have staying power which is why I am pro-mixed... Sorry if I may be missing the idea.

We can solve the whole problem, so far as I can see, by giving it poor speed and average offensive stats (base 80-90 maybe), but then giving it extremely powerful STAB attacks.

What this does is completely prevent sweeping, due to poor speed and lack of powerful type coverage moves; but it prevents switchins entirely.

I'm thinking of a less offensive, less speedy version of 4th gen Zapdos, except with 100+ BP STAB's which allow it to focus more on bulk. Zapdos didn't really wall anything, and it didn't have any decent boosting moves; it was actually a really good check for a lot of things though because it could generally take a hit or two and OHKO in return.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm thinking of a less offensive, less speedy version of 4th gen Zapdos, except with 100+ BP STAB's which allow it to focus more on bulk. Zapdos didn't really wall anything, and it didn't have any decent boosting moves; it was actually a really good check for a lot of things though because it could generally take a hit or two and OHKO in return.
Only Problem with that is that the only 100+ BP attacks that are feasible have negative effects, especially for a more defensively oriented Pokemon.

What I've been wondering is how much the ST matters. Very initially, I wanted high ST because of Latios, but I think we've all abandoned that by now. But then, what DO we want to force out with CAP 1's ST? Maybe we WANT certain special attackers to switch in predictably. (I mean, if we don't even care about Latios or Reuniclus, then who the hell DO we care about?)

On the topic of Special Tankiness, I think that "Very Good", or a cap at around 175 is a good benchmark to shoot for. The two relevant Pokemon that I did calcs for were Blaziken and Virizion (I consider them relevant as they are Fighting-type Pokemon, which is what the typing was partially intended to counter). In my opinion, these two Special (or mixed) attacking Fighting-types are as good of a benchmark as any to be able to survive attacks from. In order to survive a +1 LO HP Ice from Virizion after rocks, a spread of around 100 HP/90 SpD is required, with full HP investment and no SpD investment. That is pretty specific, and still has a chance to die from SS damage after attacking, but the spread can be jacked up to 100/100 to always survive with SS and still be under 175 ST. The same spreads also survive a Blaziken 252+ SpA LO Fire Blast (though often they won't be that powerful) with Sandstorm (also note that neutral Fire Blast is more powerful that x2 effective HP Electric). I definitely think that any more Special Defence than this would be too much, as these are very powerful attacks to be able to survive, even if it is just barely (and I would also lean more towards the 100/90 than 100/100, so maybe an even lower cap of 165 or 160 could be used).

(Of course, the base stats could easily be something like 120 HP / 80 SpD, I was just giving a sample stat spread.)

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I am of the opinion that in order to be really effective as a momentum Pokemon without being a boosting sweeper or a "switch in and tear things up" Pokemon (and without becoming a liability), CAP1 needs certain qualities from its stats.

1. Building a design on pure speed will fail because it won't be able to go fast enough.

If we want to beat threats by outspeeding them, we would want to be at least faster than Landorus, which would put us at base 102. At that point, we would have to make decisions about whether to add more speed to deal with Pokemon like Infernape and Virizion, we would have to lower the defenses to keep CAP1 from being overpowered, generally it would create scores of problems. It is better to not worry so much about speed and deal with the other aspects of the stats. This would also make paralysis less of a big deal, which helps in terms of ceding momentum

2. CAP1 needs to be sufficiently offensively threatening to not be easily set up on.

No threat of statting up means the risk of being set up on. I am of the opinion that giving CAP1 very strong offense will help its case significantly. CAP1 may not always choose to invest in offense depending on its set and role, but it should have the option of not allowing lots of Pokemon to switch in safely. This would also help in terms of not making CAP1 very vulnerable to Taunt

3. CAP1 should be as resistant as possible to Pokemon attempting to wrest momentum from it.

As Rising_Dusk pointed out, Intimidate and Burn would be major issues for CAP1. While we could attempt to solve either of these with abilities, I feel that with the argument for physical and special bias so close, this is a major point in favor of special. Zarator's argument for special is also very significant; from a momentum standpoint, I would far rather be walled by Chansey than be walled by Skarmory.

4. Don't overestimate how much bulk a Pokemon needs to be bulky, especially with such good typing.

Gyarados has 135.37 PTank (Good, 6) without taking Intimidate into consideration, and that is with 95/79 HP/Defense. Excellent (8) Ptank is massively bulky on the physical side. Considering that we probably want this Pokemon to be more like Gyarados or Dragonite than Swampert or Gliscor, I doubt we need much more bulk than Gyarados or Dragonite to be effective. This already has much better (physically) defensive typing than either Gyarados or Dragonite. In fact, I feel the need for good SpD is more pressing, simply because the typing isn't as good against Special attackers and because SpD is fixed--it can't be helped by other factors such as Burn or Intimidate. For a Pokemon that is not fast, you really want good defenses on both sides, and we KNOW CAP1 won't have any help with its SpD.

I haven't made my mind up and I'm open to being convinced otherwise regarding several of these things, but I feel they are important to keep in mind.

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
First, lets look at the weaknesses and resistances provided by Flying/Fighting.
Weaknesses: Electric, Ice, Flying, and Psychic
Resistances: Grass, Fighting, Dark, Bug (1/4)
Immunities: Ground
From this spread of weaknesses and resistances it's clear that this pokemon's weaknesses are much more commonly special rather than physical. Also, Flying has few reliable uses as STAB, and Electric, Ice, and Psychic are all easily exploitable as well as predictable through resistances and immunities.
I would originally propose that Physical Tankiness be buffed, but seeing as this pokemon's typing is already great for that, I think I actually agree with having more Special Tankiness, especially to survive the Hidden Powers that will surely be run to attempt to beat this CAP.

On the Sweepiness side, I'm not so sure. There are merits for both sides, Physical and Special. On the Physical side, you get a large complement of STABs that Deck Knight has already listed. For the Special side, you get the ability to OHKO or 2HKO Conkledurr with Air Slash. (That is really what I see as the main benefit)
For these reasons, I suggest a mixed attacker that can be more unpredictable, suiting the theme of gaining momentum. It should have viable sets on both sides, but I suggest a slight bias towards Special seeing as its STABs on that side are a bit weaker.

However, we don't want to turn this pokemon into a Bulk Up sweeper. (Obviously, this could be remedied by not giving it Bulk Up.)
However, if we really wanted to run Bulk Up, then this CAP should lean towards Physical Tankiness slightly as Bulk Up is most effective to patch up a relatively inferior Defense while raising a strong Attack stat.
tl;dr Special Tankiness and Mixed Sweepiness, leaning slightly towards Special, though I have my reservations as to how compatible and dangerous this poke could be with Bulk Up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)