CAP 11 CAP 11 - Part 10 - Name Poll

What should the name be for CAP 11?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please select your favourite name. If you're going to post who you voted for, please make sure to back it up with reasoning. Good luck!

Our CAP so far:
Puppetear

Don't be surprised with my slate, please. The majority of the thread had really bad names for this Pokemon in my opinion. It seemed like people were either not trying and thinking up a random name for the sake of potentially being in the polls, or people were trying too hard and coming up with pretty ridiculous names that I could unfortunately not see happening for Doug's art concept.

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
Voodoom

It's a simple name for a simple looking CAP that was suggested early and has stuck in my mind. Nothing has come close to top it.

dolphin

In all seriousness Voodoom is the way to go. I'm sad Pincrushen didn't make it though, that was my second. Voodoom is just a great name for a voodoo doll....

Voojitsu, as it simply rolls off of your tongue and brings out both types of the pokemon
(voodoo for dark, jitsu for fighting).

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Voodoom sounds too much like Houndoom for my liking, Puppetear is the best of the slate, I think. "Voojitsu" is kindof silly and Brazilian, I would have preferred the Japanese "Voojutsu".

I voted for Voodoom because it just seems to fit CAP 11 the best out of all of the name choices. I know Voodoo + Doom doesn't incorporate so much the fighting aspect of CAP 11, but I feel like most of the submissions were trying to hard to incorporate both types into the name. I feel like Voodoom's dark feel and simplicity is perfect.
Puppetea: Makes CAP 11 sound sad and down in the dumps. When you look at DjD's illustration however, CAP 11 doesn't look sad, it looks like it wants to fuck shit up.

Voojitsu: As stated before, I feel like when people tried too hard to incorporate both Fighting and Dark into CAP 11's name it just sounds silly. Voojistu in my opinion - although not as retarded as some of the other submissions - just doesn't sound like a pokémon like Voodoom does.

Stitchet: I was tempted to vote for this one, though it sounds too "cute" for CAP 11. I feel like Stitchet would be more appropriate for DjD's prevolution drawing.

I like all four names and I don't have any preference towards any of them, nor do I have any problems with any of them.

That said, I feel that Voodoom has an irrevocable advantage: the design was referred to by that name before the art polls, so between then and the name submissions thread, it was implanted into the minds of those involved in this process. This means that, when the name submissions thread came around, the name Voodoom had support before it was even submitted. However, you can't deny that there was something about the working name that made it a good name for the design instead of something like "the voodoo doll" or "Dollmon", which is why people grew attached to the name before the name submissions thread, and possibly one of the reasons why the design won.

Voted Puppetear for the exact same reason as reachzero; "voodoom" is too similar to "houndoom". I would have preferred Voodoll, anyway.

Voojitsu is totally rad. I voted for it because Voodoom was just a working title as DJD made obvious and it doesn't incorporate the fighting flavor. Voojitsu also just sounds awesome. I like names with a lot of syllables and that end in vowels, just a personal preference I guess. Stitchet sounds like a baby Pokemon name to me and I really wanted to have some reference to the word "voodoo" in the title, so I didn't vote for Puppetear.

That said, I feel that Voodoom has an irrevocable advantage: the design was referred to by that name before the art polls, so between then and the name submissions thread, it was implanted into the minds of those involved in this process. This means that, when the name submissions thread came around, the name Voodoom had support before it was even submitted. However, you can't deny that there was something about the working name that made it a good name for the design instead of something like "the voodoo doll" or "Dollmon", which is why people grew attached to the name before the name submissions thread, and possibly one of the reasons why the design won.
This.

I voted Voojitsu because it emphasizes CAP 11's primary (Fighting) typing; something that the art design itself has seemingly failed to do that we have a chance to make-up for here.

:( I really liked mine, but oh well. Voodoom's fine, but I wish we could've gone with something without actually using the word "voodoo" in it's entirety. No offense, Doug. Love the design.

If you asked me which name was best suited to a Dark/Fighting pokemon, I would say Voojitsu. It emphasises the pokemon's origins as a voodoo doll, and also its newfound determination to fight back and share its pain.

However, the best names are woven into the story and character of their owners. Voodoom is this pokemon's name. Doug named it at birth, and it stuck immediately. Some have called this an irrevocable advantage, and that's true - I call it history.

My name is my name because I was born with it. CaP11 is the same. Voodoom has become its name, and we should stick with that.

Stichet is one of the only good names I have seen in these polls. It sounds good.

Voodoom instead is cliche as can be.

:( I really liked mine, but oh well. Voodoom's fine, but I wish we could've gone with something without actually using the word "voodoo" in it's entirety. No offense, Doug. Love the design.
Voodoom.

That being said, I like Voojitsu, because it conveys that fighting type thingy, plus Voodoom sounds a bit like (yes, I know, it's been said) Houndoom. Plus it sounds fighting-ish.

So yeah.

EDIT:
Puppetear is just brilliant, because of the puppet, teat, and musketier (wich he could be if he uses his needle as sword)
Teat...

I voted for Voojitsu. It *seamlessly* encorporates both darkness and fighting into one punny word.

Voodoom is too similar to Houndoom and Stitchet sounds too cute.

Puppetear was one of the most creative names, but CAP 11 isn't actually a puppeteer--if anything, it's the puppet.

Voodoom all the way. Who cares if it sounds like Houndoom. It doesn't stop it being a great Pokemon name.

In defense of Stitchet sounding "too cute":

That could actually work to the flavour concept's advantage. The tinge of irony attached to a cutely named doll being vicious and associated with popular-voodoo is not exactly a new phenomenon, seen perhaps most prominently in the character Chucky from the movie Child's Play. In fact, I only just realized the accidental close connection between the two, with Chucky being born from a serial killer performing a voodoo ritual to seal his soul within the doll. I would argue that making the name "cute" can serve to make the concept even more macabre than it was with just the art concept plus working name.

Good luck to all entrants, but I just wanted to do some flailing before my name submission bit the dust.

Voodoom it just makes sense this would be his name it shows how he's dark and fighting better than Voojitsu which is honestly too plain...and sounds like a computer company Fujitsu. :P I just thought i'd be a dick. And come on really...too similar to Houndoom?
Azule said:
Who cares if it sounds like Houndoom. It doesn't stop it being a great Pokemon name.
Quoted for fucking truth.

Voted Voodoom because mine didn't make it for some reason. : P

In all seriousness, I think this is the first name poll where I would have been happy with any of the choices.

Puppetear seems to work really well for me, and looking at CAP11, the name Puppetear fits it perfectly.

Stitchet was what I was originally going to choose, but after a while it started to sound a bit like "Fidgit", and another thing about Stitchet is that stitching would seem to be a healing/repairing action if anything, and would be suited to a healing/utility pokemon. ^..^

Voting Voodoom for this one. It was a tough decision between that and Stitchet. Voodoom is just so dark and revengeful, and it has the advantage of seeming natural since it was used so often earlier.

Puppetear: I personally don't see the concept as a puppet, more of just a doll.

Voojitsu: It's really catchy, but I imagine CAP11 doing bulky-ish beatdowns rather than going jujitsu on enemies. The high speed could support that, though.

Stitchet: Voodoom just grew on me more, but I agree that it would make an awesome prevo name if it gets the chance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)