CAP 11 CAP 11 - Sprite Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here we go again...

DougJustDoug:

Well, I had to look at the animation that toggled between the male sprites and the female sprites before I could figure out what the differences were. Congratulations on being as discrete as you intended with those gender differences there: you pulled it off. The female differences themselves are quite nice. I personally think that the adjustment in the shading of the hips to make the female sprites look more, well, feminine is a nice touch (along with the shortening of the head pins, of course).

I just have one question for you: did you shorten the female's head pins on the back sprites? The reason I ask is because if you didn't, I would recomend doing so just so that the front and back female sprites are more consistent.

EDIT:

I figured as much, I was just not completely certian. Obviously, I couldn't tell before, but I'm glad that the difference is there on the female back sprites (and I can see it now that you mention it: again, it's very subtle, which achieves the not-so-easily-noticeable gender differences that you were going for).

Yukiharu:

Well, hello there. This party might be winding down right now, but it's only too late if the thread is closed. You'll have to work fast because you came in late, but at least those who are commenting can focus more on you.

Anyways, let's talk about your sprites. They look pretty good so far: it's a great start. The colors on the doll itself look good (the sewing needle in the heart should be silver, but the rest of the pins also have nice colors on them). Also, I like the concept behind the pose.

There are several nit-picky suggestions I'd like to go over with you, however. First of all, that heart needs some stitching around it so that it looks more like the heart is attached (as can be seen in the actual design) as opposed to simply being a part of the fabric (as it appears here). Second of all, the heads on the pins need to be moved: they just don't look right on the pins as they are now.

On a more important note, though, I think that the sprite's head needs to be repositioned. Right now, it looks like it is looking up and there isn't a sprite out there that I can think of that does that. What I would suggest is tilting the head up a fair bit and going for a "looking down upon the opponent" type of head positioning.

---

Anyways, as always, I enjoy seeing these sprites come out and progress that people make on them. I can't wait to see what everybody's hard work will bring next.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The Movepool Submissions thread will be closed tomorrow, followed by the Movepool Polls. There is a chance (however slight) that the Movepool Polls will be over quickly, so consider this your 48 hour warning to finish up, just in case. There's a lot of movepools to choose from so you probably do have longer, but this is the minimum theoretical amount of time before the Sprite Poll goes up.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
DJD,

I appreciate the subtlety of your sprites' gender differences. However, I think they should be ever so slightly less subtle. A few more pixels here or there. I don't know. I don't get the point of a subtle difference so subtle you have to zoom in to notice. I think it should be just noticeable if some one cares to pay attention.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
DJD,

I appreciate the subtlety of your sprites' gender differences. However, I think they should be ever so slightly less subtle. A few more pixels here or there. I don't know. I don't get the point of a subtle difference so subtle you have to zoom in to notice. I think it should be just noticeable if some one cares to pay attention.
You have a good point. I agree that ingame sprites usually have small non-obvious differences, but they are all discernible if you know where they are. For example, I looked at the ingame Golbat sprites. The fangs are slightly different sizes between genders, and only represent a few pixels difference. But, if you know to look for it, you can see the difference. On my sprites, the gender differences are almost too tiny to see, even when you know where to look.

So, I changed up the front sprites and made the head of the sewing needle bigger on the male.

This is still a very small difference, but I think it is distinguishable for those that know to look for it.

BTW, I kept the other gender differences, which overall make a few features "bigger" on the male than the female . And, "Yes" to Sezja's question if the back sprites head pins are different lengths between genders to be consistent with the fronts.

hi,
here are all the sprites finished,

I'm still not shure wich pose I should use,
but I think it owuld be easier to decide if I saw the shiny form and the gender diffrence of the standing pose too.

Comments about wich pose is best,are always welcome :p​

Personally, I'm not much of a fan of the crawling pose. It really does look like it's doing push-ups or something. Maybe put one arm more forward to simulate movement?

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
DJD,

I don't know how many pixels you changed or where they were changed, but this slight edit made the differences more noticeable. I was able to look at the two sprites and say that, yes, the female one appears slimmer from the shading and the height difference from the pin length is noticeable now if you care to pay attention. I loved your concept for the art, and you have my vote again.

hi,
here are all the sprites finished,

-pics-

I'm still not shure wich pose I should use,
but I think it owuld be easier to decide if I saw the shiny form and the gender diffrence of the standing pose too.

Comments about wich pose is best,are always welcome :p​
You know what would enhance the crawling pose (what I think, anyway)? If you straighten the right arm out. I think that would give it the "you're mine, mortal!" feel.

I choose the crawling pose then:​

female/male/shiny female/shiny male

kingdra22,do you mean the right arm from our point of view or voodoom's right arm?
I already made the example for the right arm from our point of view

going to finish this thing soon...
So quick comment is still welcome

edit:
here is an animation of the 2 poses together

I still like the standing one so much better...but if you insist on the crawling pose, extend Voodoom's right arm (from the doll's perspective) like the above poster suggested toward the viewer.

final submission

Final submission
Better do this before it's too late​

I did some minor adjustments, like stretching the arm,​

And here is the animation

There stands you can add it but it doesn't count,
But still I like to do this because then my other sprite isn't a complete wast of time
(I don't know how to make this in png-format so you can just count this out if it isn't legal)​

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Final Submission

Final Submission

And, for kicks, I made a sprite of the unofficial pre-evolution of Voodoom, which I call "Voodoll". Here's both evolutions in regular and shiny form, labeled with the traditional typing icons:

Overall, I'm fairly happy with how my sprites turned out. Particularly considering that I didn't originally intend to make a sprite entry this time around! I really like a couple other artists' sprites in this thread, and I would not mind seeing them selected over my own. But, I think the sprites I made are nice, and may appeal to some. I love seeing the variety of interpretations that each spriter brought to the art design, and it has been a joy to see all the sprites take shape in this thread. Thanks to all the spriters that have contributed to making Voodoom look fantastic!

I choose the crawling pose then:​

-pics-

kingdra22,do you mean the right arm from our point of view or voodoom's right arm?
I already made the example for the right arm from our point of view

-pic-​

going to finish this thing soon...
So quick comment is still welcome

edit:
here is an animation of the 2 poses together

-pic-
Well, I meant his right arm. Stretching the right arm in our point of view will look silly, IMO.

EDIT: Scrolled down farther and saw that you already made you final submission. Well, at least he looks less push up-ing and more "creepy crawling" now. Good luck :)

EDIT: Removed the animated pic. Forgot to remove that :/

The only reason I prefer aragornbird's is because the stitching on Doug's mouth looks strange on his sprites. It almost looks like the mouth was erased at certain parts instead. If that was fixed it would be perfect vs. perfection for those two.

My favorites are aragornbird and DJD. ab has the more action-oriented poses and Deadpool shiny form going for it but I think DJD just edges them out because of the richness of his color work.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Sprite Poll is about to go up, but I can't close Fuzznip threads.

Consider this thread ended for all intents and purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)