CAP 11 CAP 11 - Sprite Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've hit sprite land.

Our CAP so far:
Name: Perfect Mate

General Description: Pick a good-but-not-great OU pokemon, and design the perfect teammate for it, similar to the way Celebi & Heatran, or Blissey & Skarmory complement each other so well on competitive teams.

Justification:
This would allow us to explore in detail how synergy between two pokemon can be achieved, because currently there are only a few perfect teammates in OU. And depending on the base pokemon we choose to give a "perfect mate", we can open a new niche in the metagame based around the efficient pairing.
The niche we create will be inherently tied to an existing pokemon in the metagame, which should provide a natural limitation to prevent this concept from being broken or "too different" from standard OU.

Questions To Be Answered:
  • Is the base pokemon's usefulness (and usage) in the metagame increased as a result of having a "perfect mate"?
  • What strategies are more effective for the base pokemon, as a result of having a perfect teammate?
  • What are the most effective aspects of the new pokemon, for purposes of making a great teammate with the base pokemon?
  • Is the new pokemon viable in the metagame without the base pokemon as a teammate
Typing: Fighting/Dark
Stat Spread: 90 HP / 85 Atk / 80 Def / 105 SpA / 80 SpD / 110 Spe
Abilities: Volt Absorb / Lightningrod

Rules

1. Sprites should be inspired by the winning design from the Art Poll. It does not need to be an exact rendition of every detail of the design; "artistic license" is granted to all spriters. However, drastic deviation from the selected art design is discouraged.
  2. All sprites (front and back) can have a maximum size of 80x80.
  3. All sprites (front and back) must have a complete, unbroken, distinguishable outline. It does not need to be a black outline, but it must be clearly distinguishable from the adjacent interior colors of the sprite.
  4. No action effects, move effects, environment effects or additional objects can be rendered on or around the pokemon.
  5. Sprites must be in PNG format.
  6. Use 8-bit truecolor (aka 8-bit RGB) or less. This does NOT mean 256 color mode.
  7. Use transparent backgrounds.
  8. Fusions of other sprites are not allowed. All sprites must be scratch sprites.
  9. Do not alter, fuse, recolor or otherwise modify another spriter's submission – unless the original artist explicitly gives permission.

Failure to follow these guidelines will result in the submission being disqualified and the post will be deleted.

Sprite submissions for the sprite poll will be selected by the Topic Leader, based on preference and feedback in this thread. There is no process for overturning the Topic Leader's decision. If you are not comfortable with this stipulation, then do not make a sprite submission. Do not post any complaints here or in later threads.

Additional Information

There are 8 possible sprites:

• Front Normal Male
  • Front Normal Female
  • Front Shiny Male
  • Front Shiny Female
  • Back Normal Male
  • Back Normal Female
  • Back Shiny Male
  • Back Shiny Female
In most cases, spriters submit a Front Normal sprite first. Once feedback comes in and the poll nears, they make the other sprites.

Animations are not required and will not be used as part of the final product; however, it does add to the "appeal" aspect of your submission.

You do not have to make different Male and Female sprites, but it helps. Since there are only minute differences between most in-game male and female sprites, it’s not very hard to tweak the sprite for a different gender. Some spriters have made noticeable changes between genders, and that’s fine too.

Shinies are just recolors, so that’s not too tough. There’s lots of people that can’t scratch, that are willing to recolor your shiny, if you really don’t want to do it yourself. Just ask in the submission thread and you’ll get plenty of offers to help.

Please look at your transparent sprites against different colored backgrounds, not just white. In Shoddy, the sprite will be displayed on multiple background colors in the Team Builder and in battle.

A few notes to spriters on the design...

Since I sprite myself, there are a couple of aspects to the design that I made with the game sprite in mind:

• The red pins are moveable on the design. I specifically mentioned in my backstory that the pins might be able to work like Spinda's spots or perhaps Unown's shape, and their positions be determined by the pokemon's IVs. In reality, that line was included to allow the spriters artistic freedom to put pins where they fit best in the sprite. You may notice in the two support art pics, that you cannot see a pin in the doll's right shoulder. Because it would have interfered and cluttered the pose. So, feel free to put pins where you want. The number of pins is variable, since there may be unseen pins stuck in the pokemon's back, etc. Creative license granted.

• The voodoo doll was explicitly designed to look like a patchwork combination of multiple colors of material. In that same vein, I think this pokemon could possibly have different colors for male and female, just like Hippopotas and Hippowdon. For any individual color scheme -- I tried to create the illusion of multiple colors, while still keeping a small core of base colors. But in order to create a full "patchwork quilt" of colors, perhaps gender specific colors make sense for this pokemon. Not a requirement by any means, but I had it in mind when I came up with the base colors.

• If you find yourself struggling with the number of laces or big stitches on the pokemon's chest and abdomen -- feel free to omit one or two on the sprite. I honestly wanted to put less of them on there, because I knew spriting that many would be a chore. But, it was harder to understand what they were on the full-design, so I added a couple more than I really wanted. Obviously, you can do whatever you want with the front stitching, but I'm here to say you have the original artist's full permission to simplify it to make the sprite more manageable.

• "Ambiguous shaped hands" was something I really didn't intend when making the design. I intended the hands to look pretty much like mittens. But, I've done a lot of cartoons in the past where mitten-handed cartoon characters can "spread their fingers" for effect. So, I usually just stretch a pinky finger or index finger from the main "mitten", to create the illusion of spread fingers. That's what I was doing in this design on the pokemon's left hand, and I didn't really intend for it to be a big deal. But several voters pointed out specifically that they liked or disliked that the design appears to have "amorphous hands". If that's the way you want to interpret it, go ahead. I obviously drew an extra finger-like appendage there on the left hand, so I can't take that back. But, all my concept drawings and support art have the pokemon with mitten-like hands, not some amoeba-like blob.

Good luck with the sprites!
-Doug

Most important: do not quote sprites.

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Made this over the weekend when I predicted Doug's win. Obviously not finished since it doesn't have any shading or outline colors, but I'm just trying to get a pose down. I might make a couple more poses just to see which is best.

Well, first is aragorn of course!

I'd love to see what else you have, but I think that pose is actually great.

Also, I like how you used the smaller needles for visual pleasure, and the larger needle as a weapon, similar to FarFetch'd

Oh darn, this thread must have started while I was away.

Normal (M + F)..............Shiny (M + F)

Though, I'm debating if I should have that as the female form or...

Any opinions? Criticism?

Gun6, the hair on the female form really doesn't do it for me. For one thing it just looks awfully strange to me and the hair forces the pins to be positioned like antennae, reminiscent of an insect or alien. That might be an effect for people to avoid, if they so choose. Otherwise it looks quite good.

Um, this is what I've come up with so far...

Male -> Female (difference should be pretty obvious, reversed patches)
Shiny Male -> Shiny Female

I'm not sure if I like it or not, so I guess I'll leave it here for some feedback

EDIT: Having seen Gun6's shiny male forms ... I might have to test some other colours..

Gun6, the hair on the female form really doesn't do it for me. For one thing it just looks awfully strange to me and the hair forces the pins to be positioned like antennae, reminiscent of an insect or alien. That might be an effect for people to avoid, if they so choose. Otherwise it looks quite good.
So, I should just stick with the pink and purple females? Thank you. :)

A quick sprite to work out colours and a general pose. It will probably be redone but I now have a basic palette to use in future. Current palette count is 12 including black and white.

I like it - the male form is obviously a very straight interpretation of Doug's main art, but that's no bad thing. My favourite female form is the middle one, with the original colours but a wig. Two reasons:

(i) the wig gives it a distinct personality (and also fits quite well with the ramshackle nature of the art)

(ii) the colours you chose for the first and third ideas just don't appeal to me that much.

Here's my first sprite, just a normal front and a shiny front

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c158/xeveryonesgrudge/voodoomsprites1.png

Any suggestions?
First, you're off to a great start when most spriters haven't posted a thing yet.

My main problem with this is that it looks a little 'floppy' to me. It's a doll, but it's meant to be alive as well. I'm not a good enough artist to know how you could change that. Perhaps it's about the shading?

Sleet, now you've got your first designs up - which are excellent - I'd love to see a greater distinction between the male and female forms. They could use different kinds of needles, or eyes, or one could have a scarf... there are lots of possibilities beyond just using different colours.

peng

policy goblin
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Got around to making a start. Decided to go for a less dynamic pose, so it'd be cool to see what people think of it. In my opinion, a more laid back, 'floppy' pose more fits the Pokemon style, as opposed to a monster running towards you wanting to chop you up with a sewing needle.

Looks good, but I just want to give a general criticism.

Remember to keep the sprite bright! Pokemon sprites use bright color pallets!

Cricketpar, your sprite looks good, but you need to change the pallet if you want to win. It just doesn't look like Pokemon enough, and looks more like a Final Fantasy game. Just look at all previous winners, they all use bright pallets.

aragonbird: hard to comment it right now, since it isn't finished, but the pose looks quit good. The only thing that bothers me is the needles on the head, the one the is almost vertical just doesn't seem right to me

gun6: I have to say it's nicely done, but I don't really agree with the shiny forms and the female form.. The hearts really look best, it creative and it doens't look that bad either, but at the start it just looked like light spots and I didn't notice it where hearts.

cricketpar: I hope that it isn't your first sprite ever, because other whise you really a natural. The pose looks ok, even though some proportion look a little bit off. You olsa use to much dithering, I rather prefer straight lines, because it is more like the official sprites.

sleeth: I love the shiny forms, but I owuld use totaly diffrent colors for the normal sprite. The lighter and darker colors look a little bit too much like each other, wich gives a effect that it isn't shaded at all...

wyveri: I like the pose, it gives a zombie-like look.. I think there are still some misproportions of the feet, but I think you'll be able to make the look better.

penuinX: I love the pose but I think the line art isn't that great. Especially the arms and the legs don't look right to me. I personlly also would give it a more vicious facial expression since it is a dar/fighting pokemon.

I also have a question: can I also make the same pose as Gun6, since it is the pose of the winning image. I just want that pose because I think it is an excellent pose for the theme of that pokémon.

He probably only used it to base his pose off of, but it's allowed either way.

I've done up a draft of a sprite, but I have a huge feeling I'm going to hate really shading and making the stitches correct on this guy...

Congrats to DougJustDoug, I think the whole concept for this design is just amazing!

I've never sprited before in my life but thought I'd give it ago and this is what I have come up with so far...

Honestly is this half decent or should I not bother?
Had trouble with the hands, wanted to have more of a direct point as if pointing out of the screen and couldnt get the fist of the raised arm quite right.
Anyway any help or sugestions are greatly appreciated and feel free to be mean :)

Thanks

What I have so far. C+c would be mucho appreciated. Also try and ignore the first two big stiches, they are def. gonna be reworked.

-sprites-
Any opinions? Criticism?
Looks awesome, not surprise if these win. But I dont really like the shiny colors, they dont really go well. Maybe just make the shiny lighter then teh normal. Also I like the wig idea but again the color on shiny.

-sprites-

Any opinions? Criticism?
I am loving this, but like Objection said, Voodoom's right arm seems to be a bit overstuffed and stiff. Might wanna fix that.

For the female sprites, I like the wig, but like Quilph said, the needles look like antennae. Maybe you should move them around, or just remove the wig for the doll's sake. I really like the heart patchwork on the original female.

Now for the shiny sprites, you might wanna change to a lighter/brighter shade of purple. That hue just isn't doing it for me.

Wyverii. I like your sprite best so far, but some of the proportions seem a little off to me.

If you can clean those up, I don't think it'll be much of a contest.

Since many people criticize Doug's art for not looking like a Fighting-type, I really like Aragornbird's sword-like posing with the needle. Since, on the other hand, people have criticized that pose for having the needle out of the heart in the basic sprite, perhaps a "hand on the hilt" pose that looks like it's ready to pull it out would be a nice compromise between the two? Such a pose would be very hard to pull off, but I know the spriters could handle it.

Gun6: I think the wig on the female version is a great touch. A female voodoo doll might have a wig or eyelashes or something to distinguish it. I have to agree about the pin placement, though. As was stated before, they really do look like antennae. To change it up, maybe move both pins to the opposite side of the head than the male's. As for the Shiny colouring, I have no idea what would look right.

Wyverii: I like your sprite. The colour is spot on. The pose is good, but doesn't seem dynamic enough. A bit more of an action pose in the arms may push it to be more exciting than it is.

aragornbird: A great pose with lots of energy. I love the menacing look to him. I'm not sure about having the Needle out like a weapon though, as it just doesn't seem to work. If you could find a way to make the drawn needle work, this pose embodies the CAP11 action, at least in my opinion.

Gun6's is definitely my favorite, Wyverii's is my second favorite. Gun6, you might want to change the shiny colors around a bit. Something seems off; the cyan is really a bit too radical of a change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)