CAP 28 - Name Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Now that we have decided on one pre-evolution for CAP 28, it's time to brainstorm names for CAP 28! Keep in mind that we're on a tight schedule here! We are looking to close this thread by October 15th. Also remember that final submissions are not allowed at the beginning of Name Submissions!

-----

CAP 28 So Far

-----

If you are inspired by the winning art design and have come up with a good and unique name you'd like the CAP to be known by, please submit your idea here and we will put it up for a vote against all other users' ideas. Final submissions must conform to the submission rules, so please read them carefully. Breaking the posting rules can also result in disqualification.

RULES:

Legal name submissions must meet the following standards
  • Names must start with a capital letter.
  • Names cannot be longer than 12 letters.
  • Names can only contain the following characters:
    • Letters A-Z
    • Numbers 1-9
    • Dash (-)
    • Apostrophe (')
    • Period (.)
    • Colon (:)
    • Space
  • No more than two capital letters can be included in the name, and capital letters cannot be consecutive.
  • A maximum of two non-letters can be included in the name, and a maximum of one non-letter of each type can be included (ie. You can't have two numbers, or two apostrophes, but you could have one number and one apostrophe)

Names will not be slated if they are:
  • completely unrelated to the design
  • the name of an existing Pokemon
  • silly (puns are fine)
  • based primarily on memes
  • meant to inflame, intimidate, or cause controversy

WIPs
Work In Progress (WIP) Names can be posted at any time for comments from the community.

No more than three WIP Names can be posted by any individual person through the entire course of the submission thread. This limit applies to ALL posts made by a single person, even if previous posts are edited or deleted. This limit is intended to curb the tendency for some submitters to spam the thread repeatedly with lists of Names. This detracts from other submissions and makes it difficult for commenters to survey the submission thread.

Do not bump your WIP names by posting them repeatedly, or making minor spelling changes of a letter or two. Bumping will result in the disqualification of all names by the offender. Editing or deleting bump posts will not prevent disqualification.

Final Submissions
Only ONE Final Submission can be made per person. Any Final Submission that does not follow the proper format will be disqualified.

Name Final Submissions can only be posted after a CAP Moderator posts in the thread announcing that final submissions are open. Any Final Submission posted prior to the Moderator announcement post will disqualify the submitter from the poll entirely. Even if the offending post is edited later or deleted, the submitter will still be disqualified for the remainder of the thread. This ensures that there is some time for discussion and that all submitters have equal opportunity to post Final Submissions without anyone unfairly "jumping the gun".

Please make a new post after the CAP moderator announcement for Final Submissions. Do not edit a previous post prior to the announcement to make it a Final Submission. All posts prior to the announcement post will be ignored for purposes of making the Name Poll.

Final submissions must provide one sentence (25 words maximum) explaining the etymology of the name.

Final submissions must provide a common English pronunciation. The common pronunciation can be made in whatever format you feel best conveys the pronunciation to most English speakers. (You may optionally also provide an IPA pronunciation. For information about IPA and processing words into IPA read this guide: IPA For English. There are also numerous phonetic translation tools online that can help.)

Format
Name Final Submissions must be posted exactly in the following format and in the following exact order:
  • The first line of the post must have the words "Final Submission" in bold on its own line. No other text may be included before the bold heading.
  • A blank line
  • The Name submission in bold.
  • A blank line
  • A one line description of the etymology of the name or why it is appropriate for our Pokemon. (25 words maximum)
  • A blank line
  • "Pronounced: <common English pronunciation>"
  • "IPA: <IPA pronunciation>" (optional)
Below the Final Submission you can post other comments, explanations, etc.

Example final submission:
Final Submission

Syclant

A combination of "Icicle" + "Ant".

Pronounced: "SICKLE-ant"
IPA: sɪkəlænt

This name was originally submitted by Lawman on the very first CAP project. It is simple, elegant, and easy to pronounce (even if you are pronouncing it wrong), which is why it was chosen as the official name for CAP1!

WIP

Miasmaw

Miasma + Maw

Pronounced: "MAI-az-mah"

When I look at this design, the first things to jump out at me are the mouth and the gas. This name tries to realize that identity.

Bombardra
Combination of bombard/bombardier and dra meaning dragon.

Pronounced: bom-bar-dra. Quite straightforward.

WIP

Mockjaw

A combination of "Mock" + "Lockjaw".

Pronounced: "MOCK-jaw"

I wanted a punchy name that isnt so complicated to understand. it has a big jaw that is spewing chemical gas, and lockjaw is a toxin-related infection that is mouth-related (causes jaw contraction). Lockjaw can be given by insect bites. And the "mock jaw" aspect refers to it being a fake mouth.

Last edited:

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
WIP

Fanguish

A combination of "Fang" + either/both "Anguish" or "Vanquish".

Pronounced: "FANG-wish"
IPA: / ˈfæŋ gwɪʃ /

Dragon pokemon nearly always directly reference being a dragon. I don't want to add another pokemon with either "Dra" or "gon" so instead I looked to the defining draconic feature here, which is the mouth. Anguish ties back into the noxious gases emitted by a bombardier beetle.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
WIP

Jawsome

Pronounced: Jaw-sum (like Awesome)
The jaw is a focal point of the design, and it looks awesome; both in the sense of being large and imposing, and being really cool.

WIP

Mightbite

Pronounced: Might + Bite
Double meaning name referring to both the perceived strength of the jaws, as well as serving a warning.

Last edited:
WIP

Insilisk

Insect + Basilisk

Pronounced: Iss-ul-isk
I just remembred the types, found synonyms, and mashed them together

wip

Metamawrtar

Pronounciation: mé-ta-móur-tar

a mix of metamorphosis (both from the word and from the book by franz kafka), maw (self explanatory) and mortar (since i see the tail working similar to those weapons)

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
WIP

Bombadon

Combination of Bombardier and Iguanodon

WIP

Bombardon

Would like feedback on whether or not people like the 'r' in there.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
WIP (1/3)

Ballistik

ballistic(s) + tick

Pronounced: "ba-LIS-tic"
IPA: bəlɪstɪk

There are a lot of words that end in -tic, and naturally, ticks are a great bug to pair with that suffix. :) "Ballistics" is the best one I've found so far. I corrupted the ending from "tick" to "tik", since otherwise the name reminded me of "ball-and-stick" instead.

Sputnik

Bono My Tires are Deceased
is a Contributor Alumnus
WIP

Dermadomen

Dermaptera (order that Earwigs are a part of) +abdomen

Pronounced :"der-MA-do-men"

This mon reminded me of an Earwig with the whole pincirs on the rear end thing, so I went with that relationship. Plus this thing is mostly abdomen if we're going with standard insect etymology, so that's where that came from.

WIP

Pherazooka

Pheropsophus/Pheromone + Bazooka

Pronounced: Fe-rah-zoo-kah

This name is a combination of Pheropsophus (a genus of bombardier beetles), Pheromone (It's kind of a stretch since pheromones are associated with communication and are not used as a defense mechanism, but, like the bombardier beetles' spray, they are a chemical secretion) and Bazooka

Zetalz

Expect nothing, deliver less
is a Pre-Contributor
WIP (1/3)

Drakannon

Combination of Drake + Cannon

Pronounced: dra-CAN-non

A simple combination of Drake (a type of dragon, and one that isn't too dissimilar to our body shape) and Cannon due to it being based on a Bombardier beetle. Still debating on whether to use a K or C but I like K more so far.

WIP (2/3)

Arsinect

Combination of Arsine + Insect

Pronunced: AR-sin-ect

Wanted to make one that more reflected the bug in cap 28 and something that also references it's gaseous nature, I toyed with a few other gas types like Sarin (which gotta pretty big yikes from people, including myself lol) After looking around for notable gas types that could flow well I settled on arsine, a simple form of arsenic.

Last edited:
WIP

Mawnolith

Maw+Monolith

Pronounced: MAh-no-LIF

Figured it looked like a big tall bug with a big gaping mouth. Monolith, meaning a "a large single upright block of stone, especially one shaped into or serving as a pillar or monument". 28 is certainly large, upright, and monolithic if i don't say so myself.

WIP

Mortillar

Mort (french for dead/death) / Mortar + Pillar / Caterpillar

Pronounced : More-TILL-er

This name speaks to 28's weapon-like design. This name is reminiscent to the idea of a mortar cannon, while still calling back to its bug typing. While 28 isn't a caterpillar, it's still a bug right? The name also speaks to its upright size, pillar-like and all.

WIP

Smawgon/Smawgun

pronounced: SMAW-gun

combination of Smog Maw and Dragon or gun
still not sure which i like more so I’ll have them slashed for now, to wait on feedback

WIP

Gnawhoggr

Combination of Gnaw + "Nidhogg"

Pronounced Gnaw-hogg-er

Nidhogg is a Dragon that eats the roots of the tree Yggdrasil in Norse Mythology. Given it's a 4* Grass Resist, and SE STAB vs Grass, this seems fitting.

WIP

Scarablitz

Pronounced Skeh-ruh-blitz.

Combination of scarab, another word for beetle which is what this is, and blitz. More to come

Last edited:

Reiga

im dying squirtle
is a Top Artist
WIP

Mawxius

A combination of "Maw" + "Mock" + "Moxie" + "Noxious".

Pronounced: "MOK-shuhs"

Originally came up by mixing just "maw" and "noxious" (which both reflects the toxic gas and the gruff nature), but there's also mock in the middle (like this guy's big fake dragon head) and moxie (also pertaining to gruff nature) which is fun.

Last edited:
WIP

Predatail

From “predator” and “tail”.

Pronounced: “PREH-dah-tail”

WIP

Grandible

From “grand” and “mandible”.

Pronounced: GRAN-dib-bul” (?)

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
WIP

Drakamikaze

Drake (A term used to describe a type of Dragon not to dissimilar to our own in terms of body type) + Kamikaze (Suicide Plane Bombers used by the Japanese in WWII)

I liked Kamikaze, as because while this CAP doesn't blow itself up, its based on Bombardier Beetles, who blow up the chemicals in their ass to scare away enemies.

WIP

Carabillery

Carabidae (the family all bombardier beetles fall into) + Artillery (the military branch where bombardier is a rank)

Pronounced: kə-RAB-ill-ə-ree

Seems simple, the broadest category that holds our inspiration plus where its common name comes from. Artillery also works because of the abdomen being essentially a cannon, which would be handled by artillery regiments. Speaking of abdomen.

WIP

Carabdomen

Carabidae (the family all bombardier beetles fall into) + Abdomen (Where both real bombardier beetles and this mon shoot their gas from)

Pronounced: kə-RAB-də-min

With the abdomen being such a prominent feature of this CAP i figured a name including it would make sense, and it fits together pretty smoothly with its real life family's name.

I think both of these names are pretty alright, but I do feel like it might be a good idea to come up with one with something relating to dragons because the design itself does show off the bug typing a bit better. Also, using Carabidae as a part of the name might be a little too obscure, but i'm not sure on that. I'd definitely love some feedback though, and I'm gonna give some to the names that have already been submitted before I started working on this.

WIP

Miasmaw

Miasma + Maw

Pronounced: "MAI-az-mah"

When I look at this design, the first things to jump out at me are the mouth and the gas. This name tries to realize that identity.
Honestly a really good, simple name. Even though it was the first submitted it's an early favorite. In general I like the names that incorporate maw, and miasma is a great word to combine with it, and helps to drive the NGas ability home

WIP

Mockjaw

A combination of lockjaw + mock

I wanted a punchy name that isnt so complicated to understand. it has a big jaw that is spewing chemicals, and lockjaw is a toxin-related infection that is mouth-related (causes jaw contraction). And the "mock jaw" aspect refers to it being a fake mouth. yup
I really like the wordplay here, and you're definitely right about it being punchy and uncomplicated. The lockjaw connection is nice, the only thing I might worry about with it is the draw towards poison type, which the CAP doesn't have, but even leaving you with Mock Jaw is a nice name since that's exactly what it has on its abdomen, and it's hard to deny the toxin connections with the design and inspiration anyway.

WIP

Mawmardier

Maw + Bombardier

Pronounced: MAH-mar-deer

Simple combination of its species and its strongest trait.
As I've said before, I'm a fan of the maw names and it's overall a solid name because of it. I worry a little about it being a bit clunky to pronounce aloud but I don't think that's too much of a concern

WIP

Fanguish

A combination of "Fang" + either/both "Anguish" or "Vanquish".

Pronounced: "FANG-wish"
IPA: / ˈfæŋ gwɪʃ /

Dragon pokemon nearly always directly reference being a dragon. I don't want to add another pokemon with either "Dra" or "gon" so instead I looked to the defining draconic feature here, which is the mouth. Anguish ties back into the noxious gases emitted by a bombardier beetle.
I definitely appreciate the nod to dragons without using any part or derivative of the word "dragon", and the name also stands out as pretty unique compared to the others. However, I'm not sure how well anguish really fits as it's a bit abstract. Totally willing to be convinced on that though.

WIP

Jawsome

Pronounced: Jaw-sum (like Awesome)
The jaw is a focal point of the design, and it looks awesome; both in the sense of being large and imposing, and being really cool.
Another simple punchy name which I appreciate. I personally am more of a fan of names with more inspirations, but this clearly wasn't going for that, and as simple ones go, it works super well.

WIP

Insilisk

Insect + Basilisk

Pronounced: Iss-ul-isk
I just remembred the types, found synonyms, and mashed them together
First I'm gonna assume the pronunciation I have in this quote is a typo and the n isn't silent. Second, I feel it is a bit generic, like it was picked before the designs started, as insect is of course about as generic as bug itself, and basilisks are more serpentine than this CAP. I think with a different design, such as quanyails', this would've worked well, but as is, it just doesn't feel inspired. Sorry if I'm being harsh

wip

Metamawrtar

Pronounciation: mé-ta-móur-tar

a mix of metamorphosis (both from the word and from the book by franz kafka), maw (self explanatory) and mortar (since i see the tail working similar to those weapons)
The kafka reference is definitely cool, as I've said I like maw names, and fitting 3 separate inspirations is also something I appreciate, especially such fitting ones. My only concern is with pronunciation, as I think the maw in the middle makes things a bit weird and clunky to say aloud but other than that I love the name and if others don't share that pronunciation concern, it's one of my absolute favorites for sure.

WIP

Elydron

Elytron (beetle forewings) + Dr[ag]on

Pronounced: EH-li-drawn

IPA: ˈɛlɪdɹɒn
Using Elytron as a part of it is unique and definitely good, I'm a fan, and I like that you incorporated dragon in a way that just avoided dra and gon. Also, you can maybe even stretch it to include drawn, as in guns drawn, as part of the name based on how it's pronounced, which is a cool touch even if it's just me adding on. A very solid name without much to criticize

WIP

Bombadon

WIP

Bombardon

Would like feedback on whether or not people like the 'r' in there.
The use of Iguanadon as a way to reference dragons is a good one for sure, and imo fits the design a bit better than most of the other attempts to reference its secondary typing. As for the slight variation, I personally prefer the r version, I feel it makes the bombardier part a bit more clear and makes where the stressed syllable is clearer as well.

WIP (1/3)

Ballistik

ballistic(s) + tick

Pronounced: "ba-LIS-tic"
IPA: bəlɪstɪk

There are a lot of words that end in -tic, and naturally, ticks are a great bug to pair with that suffix. :) "Ballistics" is the best one I've found so far. I corrupted the ending from "tick" to "tik", since otherwise the name reminded me of "ball-and-stick" instead.
I think the choice to go with tick rather than the more common beetle or bombardier references helps to make your name stick out while not being so far from the design that it's a negative. My only criticism is that I feel it's too close to just being ballistic, but we have seel, dewgong, muk, and krabby in real pokemon so it's not unprecedented.

WIP

Dermadomen

Dermaptera (order that Earwigs are a part of) +abdomen

Pronounced :"der-MA-do-men"

This mon reminded me of an Earwig with the whole pincirs on the rear end thing, so I went with that relationship. Plus this thing is mostly abdomen if we're going with standard insect etymology, so that's where that came from.
The earwig inspiration, like I said with quanyails, is different enough to stand out while being close enough to the design to still be good, and adding abdomen makes sense with it being the most prominent feature. My only real criticism is that I'd prefer if the b in abdomen were preserved but that's personal preference and I can be swayed either way.

WIP

Pherazooka

Pheropsophus/Pheromone + Bazooka

Pronounced: Fe-rah-zoo-kah

This name is a combination of Pheropsophus (a genus of bombardier beetles), Pheromone (It's kind of a stretch since pheromones are associated with communication and are not used as a defense mechanism, but, like the bombardier beetles' spray, they are a chemical secretion) and Bazooka
I'm a big fan of the bazooka nod, it's a silly sounding name that references the abdomen super well in my opinion, and adding a genus of bombardier beetle is a good idea and works well. No real issues with this name other than the possibility that genus is too specific but I don't think it's much of a problem.

WIP

Drakannon

Combination of Drake + Cannon

Pronounced: dra-CAN-non

A simple combination of Drake (a type of dragon, and one that isn't too dissimilar to our body shape) and Cannon due to it being based on a Bombardier beetle. Still debating on whether to use a K or C but I like K more so far.
I appreciate a name that clearly references dragons due to the very buggy design, and the addition of cannon works well with the design as well. As for the bit you added at the end, I personally prefer the k to a c instead. It's a simple, good name

Overall, I feel that pretty much every name so far is good and I wouldn't really be disappointed with any of them being chosen. Sorry if the critiques aren't great, I'm not very good at articulating why I feel one way or the other about subjective things, but I wanted to offer my thoughts since I'm asking for everyone else's on my ideas. Good luck everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)