CAP 28 - Name Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
WIP

Chemaclamp

(Chemical + Clamp + part of Maw to make it roll off the tongue better)

Pronounced: KEM-uh-klamp

Slapperfish

Banned deucer.
WIP

Abdomaw

Abdomen + Maw

Pronounciation + AB-doh-mah

WIP

Abaddomen

Abaddon + Abdomen + "a bad omen"

Pronounciation: AB-uh-doh-min

dex

Give my perception as a handle of weapon
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
WIP

Nitrodier

A combination of "Nitrogen" and "Bombardier"

Pronounced: NI-truhdeer
IPA: naitrədir

Combining Nitrogen, which is considered to be a very dangerous and noxious gas in a vacuum, and Bombardier from the bombardier beetle used as the basis for CAP28's design. Additionally, the term Nitro seems fitting given CAP28's awesome offenses.

Last edited:
WIP

Xenoza

Xenon (an inert gas) + xeno- (prefix meaning alien or foreign) + ozaenini (one of the taxonomic tribes of bombardier beetles)

Pronounced: zee-NO-zah
  • This one has a couple layers to it
    • Xenon is an inert noble gas, alluding to Neutralizing Gas.
    • “Xeno” is also a prefix for foreign or alien, alluding to the more otherworldly elements of the design, like the dragon-tail and gas spilling from the tail-jaw.
    • “Oza” is short for ozaenini, one of the taxonomic tribes to which bombardier beetles belong.

Last edited:
WIP
Benzogon

Combination of benzoquinone (the main chemical component of the bombardier beetle's spray) and dragon.
Pronounciation: ben-ZOH-gon

WIP
Fumidier

Combination of fumigate (to fill an area with gas, mainly to kill pests) and bombadier.
Pronounciation: FYOO-meh-deer

WIP
Fumigon

Combination of fumigate and dragon.
Pronounciation: FYOO-meh-gon

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
WIP

Bomblebeet

Corruption of "beetle" + "bomb"

Pronounced: "BAAM-bl-beet"
IPA: bämbəlbēt

When "Beetlebomb" is just too in-your-face.

WIP

Bomblebeet

Corruption of "beetle" + "bomb"

Pronounced: "BAAM-bl-beet"
IPA: bämbəlbēt

When "Beetlebomb" is just too in-your-face.
I mean given that Talonflame exists, I wouldn't count "Beetlebomb" out just yet. I actually think the hokiness of it is kind of charming!

WIP

Smawg

Pronounced: smorg

Smaug + maw + smog.

Smaug is a famous dragon in literature (covering our Dragon typing), maw is for the tail and it sounds similar to smog (covering the NGas)

WIP

Bombaustic

Bombadier/Bombastic + Caustic

Pronounced: bom-boss-tik

Caustic burns are chemical burns. The bomb in the name is mostly affiliated with Bombadier, and its more of a fun nod to the word Bombastic, rather than that being an adjective to describe the design. However, a bombastic person is one who is considered to be “big-headed” or “gaseous,” so there’s a stretched connection

MrPanda

not a bear
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
WIP

Maustard

Maul (because it's gonna maul those pivoting bastards) + Corruption of maw + Mustard gas (a chemical weapon that causes serious damages to health and environment)

Pronounced: MAW.stard

WIP

Mawtar

Maw + Mortar

Pronounced: MAW.tar

Last edited:

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
WIP

Jurassect

A combination of “Jurassic” (the period of fearsome dinosaurs) + “Insect”

Pronounced: ju-RASS-ehkt

Last edited:
WIP

Bumbadrei

Yet another reference to bombardier, with a shared dragon reference like hydreigon. Middle r was dropped to ease pronunciation.

It's bum is one of it's signature features, while combining with the word bad in the middle implies badass.

Final Submission

Nitropod

From "nitroglycerin," a bomb component, and arthropod, the beetle's phylum

Pronounced: NAY-tro-pod

Last edited:

DC

Kpop Main, No Brain
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
WIP

Virudra

"Virulent" + "Dragon"

Pronounced: Vee-ru-dra

The greenish, toxic looking aspect of the design made me think of a name that focused on the Pokemon's virulent nature while incorporating a certain dragon theme to it.

WIP

Pestilmaw

"Pest/Pestilence" + "Maw"

Pronounced: Pes-til-maw

The name accentuates the greenish, bug elements of the design and combines it with its most notable feature: the huge maw-like tail.

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
WIP

Dracolob

Dragon + Coleoptera (scientific name for Beetles) + Lob (throw)

Pronounced: drah-koh-lob

I think this name has a good rhythm to it and fits a few different words and sounds together to get across its character.

naturalstupidity

formerly The Imposter
WIP

Bombadrake

Bombardier + drake

Pronounced: BOM-buh-drake

Gen 8 Pokemon oftentimes have simple portmanteau names (Centiskorch, Corviknight, Sinistea, etc). As such, I think a simple name is best.

WIP
Brachinox

pronounced brack-i-nox or brack-ee-nox (still deciding on that)

Brachinus + noxious
Brachinus is the scientific name for the bombardier beetle. I chose noxious because the bombardier sprays noxious chemicals.

WIP
Caranox

pronounced care-uh-nox

Carabidae + noxious
Carabidae is the family the bombardier beetle belongs to.

WIP
Draconox

Pronounced drake-oh-nox or drack-oh-nox (still deciding)

Draco + noxious
Draco is the latin word for dragon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)