CAP 5 CAP 5 - Part 15 (Sprite Poll 3)

Who's sprite should we use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Stratagem

Break the Mold-
Click here to see the full post.
latinoheat said:
Name: Break the Mold

Description:
An OU viable pokemon that goes completely against the stereotypes of its typing.
Type: Rock

Offensive/Defensive Bias: Offensive 20-40
Physical/Special Bias: Special -20 and lower
Base Stat Rating: Very Good
Base Stats:90/60/65/120/70/130 Speed Last
Primary Ability: Levitate
Secondary Ability: Technician

Art By yourDeadGrandad

Pokedex Entries:

Kamen Rider said:
STRATAGEM'S peculiar shape is a result of the wind erosion it constantly experiences moving at high speeds. The older a STRATAGEM gets, the smaller and more streamlined its body will be.
Mr_Goodbar said:
STRATAGEM roam in volcanic regions, thriving on the intense heat. Their spontaneous and destructive nature has prevented much exploration in these areas.
Leman said:
The claws on STRATAGEM'S limbs are actually rather brittle. Instead of using those for stabbing, STRATAGEM'S uses them as a launching-pad for its various energy attacks.
Wyverii

DarthVader317

This is it, the final poll in CAP 5! We're finally done! WOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Overall, I'm pleased with how the project turned out, but I'll have a full write-up tomorrow.

I'm relatively happy how this came out as well, and I'm glad I got to leave a couple marks on it :P. Can't wait to try it out

I think really it comes down to shape vs texture, since Darth Vader's sprites have a more streamlined shape but Wyverii's have a more rock-like texture. So hard to decide ...
Objection flips a coin.
Wyverii's it is then.

I think really it comes down to shape vs texture, since Darth Vader's sprites have a more streamlined shape but Wyverii's have a more rock-like texture.
Shape vs texture, indeed. However, in my case, the choice is clear: Shape.

Go Darthvader!

Originally Posted by Fat Leman
The claws on STRATAGEM'S limbs are actually rather brittle. Instead of using those for stabbing, STRATAGEM'S uses them as a launching-pad for its various energy attacks.

By the way, I think that the second STRATAGEM doesn't have the apostropghe.

Continuing from the other thread:

Bird said:
I'm puzzled on your 'more pokémon-style-sprite' argument. Enlighten me, why would it fit in better? Any comparisations at hand to back your argument up?
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1512008&postcount=159

If I could add some more comparison sprites that would help to exemplify what I was talking about there, look at these:

The stark contrasts, the solid, saturated colors, the lack of major anti-aliasing and dithering...

It's the combination of a great many subtle elements.

My point was; it's the only sprite that actually resembles a rock.

Why? As mentioned, the dithering and the highlights. You could argue DarthVader's sprite has a 'smooth' stone for a head, but smooth stones are not pointy. Go and ask wikipedia about the process.

Not only is it missing the point to try to relate realism and pokemon, but it goes against precedent:

None of these use dithering or anti-aliasing to a major degree. They achieve their rocky appearances and textures through solid shapes and colors. They are more implied than excplict. The areas of color and shade are clearly separate.

Highlights (you're referring to lighting...?) are also achieved through the effective use and contrast of solid color shapes. Darth's sprite also does this.

As for looking like a rock... not only do I find that a point not entirely relevant (Jynx looking like an Ice/Psychic?), but the spriter's job was not to make their sprite look like a rock, but to follow the concept art closely and faithfully. Darth's arguably looks extremely close to the concept art, so if you have a problem with it, take it up with the original artist. (In fact, that was already a previous concern during the concept art polls. Obviously, it wasn't that big of a deal.)

The highlights speak for theirselves, as paintings deal with similar elements and you claim to know your shit on those. Although that was moreso directed at Atryoki's sprite than Darthvader's.
...?

I don't understand your point. Just because a painting deals with certain elements, that doesn't mean a sprite does. Is that what you're talking about? :/

Actually I could say that the saturation of the colours in darthvader's sprite is lower than normally used within the official sprites (or duller if you prefer).
Really? I don't see that... I'm looking through various sprites (Rampardos, Dusknoir, etc.) and I can't see it.

Of course, it's not like I've opened them in a graphics editor, so I don't know any of their actual values or anything.

(BTW, when I say saturated, I don't mean duller. Are you confusing the two...? I mean like "rich" or "thick", or "undiluted".)

And yes, I know that neither sprite is a perfect Nintendo sprite, but that doesn't mean that we can't make an attempt to discern how closely each sprite relates to official sprites based on the numerous examples and precedents already set by the games.

Of course, we can never be completely objective, but that's why we can discuss the elements of the sprites and artworks.

As for looking like a rock... not only do I find that a point not entirely relevant (Jynx looking like an Ice/Psychic?), but the spriter's job was not to make their sprite look like a rock, but to follow the concept art closely and faithfully. Darth's arguably looks extremely close to the concept art, so if you have a problem with it, take it up with the original artist. (In fact, that was already a previous concern during the concept art polls. Obviously, it wasn't that big of a deal.)
That is entirely false. Pixel artists are allowed a bit of artistic license because it is concept art and though extreme differences are frowned upon most artists prefer to place their own spin on things. Also the original concept designer voted for me in the last poll so obviously he doesn't mind. (Thanks ydg!) The rocky shading on the original design was also exempt from darth's sprite.

(BTW, when I say saturated, I don't mean duller. Are you confusing the two...? I mean like "rich" or "thick", or "undiluted".)
No i'm not confusing the two. It may be that I use the term dull to describe something low in both saturation and luminescence and I don't tend to mix painting terms with pixel art ;p. The saturation levels (out of 240) for the main body are as follows: highlight- 33, midtone- 19, shade- 17. The shiny satuarations are even lower. Gravelers shades have higher saturation than that.

That's not to say it's a bad sprite. Nintendo have done a few strange things with their sprites in their time. Actually the sat levels for my sprite are bloody weird.

And yes, I know that neither sprite is a perfect Nintendo sprite, but that doesn't mean that we can't make an attempt to discern how closely each sprite relates to official sprites based on the numerous examples and precedents already set by the games.

Of course, we can never be completely objective, but that's why we can discuss the elements of the sprites and artworks.
I'd honestly prefer an out and out personal preference by design rather then trying to figure out a very subjective difference in style. As I said it up to you how you decide though. It's not up to me to tell you how to vote but I thought I might as well strike up a discussion as long as you're talking about pixel art style.

Personally, I prefer Wyverii's backsprite, as it looks much more realistic to me...but Vader's sprite seems to be exactly what my mind pictured when I saw and read about it, ever since the beginning. Both did wonderful jobs and deserve to be commended, I just preferred Vader's sprite a little more.

My favorite two made to the final poll :toast:.

I voted for Wyverii. The texture on his sprites is just amazing. Also, DarthVader317's has more of a metallic look to it than a rocky look.

Awww, I didn't make it to final 2......

Anyways, cheering on for Wyverii 'cause of cool shiny colours and amazing back sprite!

Wyverii FOR THE WIN!

My only beef with Wyveri's sprite is that the front sprite almost seems humanoid. The arms are placed as if they were attached to invisible shoulders, and the neck is a little too apparent for my liking.
It's a nice sprite, but I voted for Vader's.

Atyroki, I mourn the loss of your sprites - they were stunning.

For me, both the finalists are excellent but I prefer the pose of vader so shall go for DarthVader317

Voted for Vader's as i dislike thge angle of Wyverri's sprite but it's cool. At this stage it's all good!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)