CAP 5 CAP 5 - Part 15 (Sprite Poll 3)

Who's sprite should we use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
This is it, the final poll in CAP 5! We're finally done! WOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Overall, I'm pleased with how the project turned out, but I'll have a full write-up tomorrow.
I thought we were going to vote on whether to name the new move Ancient Beam or not.

Continuing from the other thread:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1512008&postcount=159

If I could add some more comparison sprites that would help to exemplify what I was talking about there, look at these:

The stark contrasts, the solid, saturated colors, the lack of major anti-aliasing and dithering...

It's the combination of a great many subtle elements.

Point taken.

Not only is it missing the point to try to relate realism and pokemon, but it goes against precedent:

None of these use dithering or anti-aliasing to a major degree. They achieve their rocky appearances and textures through solid shapes and colors. They are more implied than excplict. The areas of color and shade are clearly separate.

Highlights (you're referring to lighting...?) are also achieved through the effective use and contrast of solid color shapes. Darth's sprite also does this.

As for looking like a rock... not only do I find that a point not entirely relevant (Jynx looking like an Ice/Psychic?), but the spriter's job was not to make their sprite look like a rock, but to follow the concept art closely and faithfully. Darth's arguably looks extremely close to the concept art, so if you have a problem with it, take it up with the original artist. (In fact, that was already a previous concern during the concept art polls. Obviously, it wasn't that big of a deal.)
The concept art has a rock for a head. Not a dull metallic layer. The difference between CAP5 and Golem/Onix/Regirock is that the 'rock' on CAP5's head is a 'bent piramid'.

...?

I don't understand your point. Just because a painting deals with certain elements, that doesn't mean a sprite does. Is that what you're talking about? :/
Not important. This was to back something up from a previous post which has little to do with the current discussion.

That is entirely false. Pixel artists are allowed a bit of artistic license because it is concept art and though extreme differences are frowned upon most artists prefer to place their own spin on things. Also the original concept designer voted for me in the last poll so obviously he doesn't mind. (Thanks ydg!) The rocky shading on the original design was also exempt from darth's sprite.
A) An artist can follow concept art closely and faithfully without losing artistic license. I didn't say that the sprite artist must scan the concept art and convert it EXACTLY to pixels so that it is nothing but a digital bitmap of the original art. Honestly, nothing you said conflicts with what I said -- closely and faithfully means no "extreme differences" between the two designs. I don't know why you're even harping on this point, other than to be difficult. :/

B) I never said yours didn't fit the concept art; in fact, I think quite the opposite. Bird's opinion was that Darth's sprite was lacking because he felt it didn't look like a rock, and I was pointing out that, regardless of if one thinks it looks like a rock or not, Darth's sprite followed the concept art he was given.

C) I don't see any rock shading on the concept art, just regular shading based on light and dark values. There is no immediately obvious texture; rather, any "rockiness" seems to be implied through shape and design. This can be interpreted in a number of ways, as you and Darth both have. It's just that, in my opinion, Darth executed his sprite in such a way that is in-line with past D/P sprites, in that his textures are not completely explicit.

No i'm not confusing the two. It may be that I use the term dull to describe something low in both saturation and luminescence and I don't tend to mix painting terms with pixel art ;p. The saturation levels (out of 240) for the main body are as follows: highlight- 33, midtone- 19, shade- 17. The shiny satuarations are even lower. Gravelers shades have higher saturation than that.
I'm not an experienced pixel artist so I'm not familiar with the technical terms, but I am familiar with the dictionary (not "painting") definition of saturation, so that was how I was using the word. I'll be more careful in the future now that I know there are two different contextual uses of the term.

Regardless of the technical values, from a visual, observer's point-of-view, my point still stands -- Darth's color values are in-line with past D/P sprites.

The concept art has a rock for a head. Not a dull metallic layer. The difference between CAP5 and Golem/Onix/Regirock is that the 'rock' on CAP5's head is a 'bent piramid'.
To be fair, the concept art doesn't exactly have explicit detailed textures on the head. I count three diamon-esque shapes on the head that could be interpreted as "flat" areas, where it is presumed the light is reflected off of from a different angle than the rest of the head. When I first saw the art, I took the head to be made out of a smooth rock-like material similar to obsidian, which would make it a "dull metallic-like" surface, with the three diamond shapes being leveled off or flat parts of the head.

Also, I'm not exactly sure what you're saying. I'm assuming you're suggesting Darth's head looks metallic, and that Stratagem should have a rock for a head. So... how is having a rocky head different from Golem/Onix/Regirock? Your last sentence almost sounds like you're suggesting a bent pyramid would be metallic...? To contrast the difference between Stratagem and Golem/Onix/Regirock...?

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus
Congratulations to Wyverii!
And... just like Eric said, thanks to Tennis, who have done a great job as Topic Leader.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
And there is the "How many pre-evos" poll", I don't think that's done yet.

But yea tennis you have done a great job as TL, really top class.
Prevos will go in the PR thread, coming soon to a forum near you!

Also final thread coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)