CAP 5 CAP 5 - Part 8 (Art Poll 4)

Who's art should we use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know, I think the origins of EasterIslandguy's speed are similar to Alakazam's. I can't picture it dancing around. It looks like... a bored guy.

To be honest, Flounder, you won't be alone there.
No offense meant to YDG, but I've loved Caladbolg's since I first laid eyes on it. It looks special-oriented, very rock-type, and has better substance than what I see as a clump of floating pebbles.

The part of shambling I was the shuffling gait portion. Picture Calad's design in a swampert style postion. Now, have it shuffle its legs to almost slide across the ground.

Do you know about different martial arts styles? The style I'm thinking about is in a lot of the movies like Bloodsport and the Quest where a lot of styles are shown. There is almost inevitably a character that moves the way I'm talking about, and they are all crazy fast.

Let me see if I can find a vid...

EDIT: Found one: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dA5BbvtmZnI (0:15-0:45)

Dude... Total respect for you man. Honestly.

I realize that you yourself had a hand in the design of Cally's poke. I understand that you invested some of your self in it. I understand that of course you have a bias toward it. I understand that, even bias aside (to be fair), you have a VISION for it!! One that totally ROCK'S might I add (pun intended, but meant what I said!) But in the end... I feel you are plugging this too hard. The pokemon that wins this poll, should be the one that deserves the Stat Spread and Purpose we are handing to it.

To justify Cally's Speed you have gone into paranormal abilities. Teleportation, matter transfiguration, other world movement, martial arts ect.. and all this with out the aid of a Psychic or Fighting Secondary typing (and yes I understand you don't necessarally have to associate with Psychic or any other type just to perform special based techniques) but the point is that is a stretch of the imagination. Not say imagination and creativity is a bad thing. QUITE the opposite. But we shouldn't have to make such sacrifices just to make it "FIT".

YDG's design how ever, just.. IS fast. Look at it. With out reason, with out explanation, with out need... it just IS base 130 speed. It doesn't have to "aspire" to become the speed it is.

I feel the choice should not be what pokemon COULD respectfully represent is Stats an given purpose, but rather what DOES respectfully represents is Stats and given purpose.

A pokemon after all (especially one we are giving life to ourselves), if it is to be seen as living, breather, fighting creater on the battle field, It can't just be it's Stats. Or it's Art work. Or Type. Or Move Pool. Or it's Ability.... It has to be ALL of them at once.

yourDeadGrandad's does this better. (so far)

No, you'll be grateful, since the sprite of yDG's has a kickass feeling to it if DJD gets involved. Go yDG! yDG! yDG!

I don't mind yDG's design, I'm just saying Caladbolg won every art poll. All three. If he loses at this point just because tennis was pressured into making a 4th poll, it's going to be seriously annoying.

In the real world you're supposed to have a majority of the votes to win though, like for example, the US elections lol

To justify Cally's Speed you have gone into paranormal abilities. Teleportation, matter transfiguration, other world movement, martial arts ect.. and all this with out the aid of a Psychic or Fighting Secondary typing (and yes I understand you don't necessarally have to associate with Psychic or any other type just to perform special based techniques) but the point is that is a stretch of the imagination. Not say imagination and creativity is a bad thing. QUITE the opposite. But we shouldn't have to make such sacrifices just to make it "FIT".

I feel the choice should not be what pokemon COULD respectfully represent is Stats an given purpose, but rather what DOES respectfully represents is Stats and given purpose.
I think this is where we fundamentally disagree. I'm of the opinion that if both pokemon could fit the specified parameters, then the better artwork should determine the winner. You seem to consider that the art that follows the parameters more closely is better. I respect that. Not that anyone's been following my votes, but I actually didn't vote for Caladbolg's design in the first two polls, and I actually voted for yDG in the first one. I didn't see how it could fit until I began to look deeper into it. I guess I'm just trying to prove that I do feel that stats are important, but ultimately art is the deciding factor for me.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Caldbolg's art is just fine with the spread we voted on. It's a bipedal organism with long legs and good body structure, as well as having some birdlike features. There's nothing to say it simply stays stationary until its prey passes by, then ambushes them with blinding speed for a meal. I'm not quite sure of the musculo-skeletal structure of Rock pokemon, but I'm fairly certain that since even Golem isn't immobile that it has some fairly powerful muscles to move all that bulk around.

Following the same logic as Skarmory having beast defense and only weighing 112 lbs, there's nothing saying this couldn't have birdlike "bones" made of aluminum or something.

Skyshroud brings up a good point in that stats are one of the main factors that will determine peoples' votes, as many of you know or don't know I've already voted for Caladbolgs~/SkyShrouds' artwork as levitating rocks for me is something that would determine a special sweeper imo, not that YDGs' artwork didn't do the same for me but I just like Caladbolgs~/SkyShrouds' artwork more.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I don't mind yDG's design, I'm just saying Caladbolg won every art poll. All three. If he loses at this point just because tennis was pressured into making a 4th poll, it's going to be seriously annoying.
Annoying for me at least, because theres going to be a bajillion Caladbolg supporters yelling at me. But hey, not my problem.

In the real world you're supposed to have a majority of the votes to win though, like for example, the US elections lol
um haha no remember the year 2000?

xP

I hope YDG's wins, but yeah, there's really nothing more I can say. I just don't really like Caladbolg's art, that's all ... And then of course, the whole speed thing, and the whole Psychic thing. But in any case, this CAP is just full of close polls! So we'll see who wins in the end. :D

The fate of EasterIslandPoke is hanging solely on 3 clicks. THREE...clicks...

EDIT: FOUR clicks...*sigh* this isn't looking hopeful...

I think this is where we fundamentally disagree. I'm of the opinion that if both pokemon could fit the specified parameters, then the better artwork should determine the winner. You seem to consider that the art that follows the parameters more closely is better. I respect that. Not that anyone's been following my votes, but I actually didn't vote for Caladbolg's design in the first two polls, and I actually voted for yDG in the first one. I didn't see how it could fit until I began to look deeper into it. I guess I'm just trying to prove that I do feel that stats are important, but ultimately art is the deciding factor for me.

Well then, I suppose we could agree to disagree... But that's no fun, hehehe.

I actually DO agree with you that is if both art works could fit he parameters of it's design then the better artwork DEFINITELY should win. And I've stated before that I actually very much like both art works, just as artworks. the problem is.... I don't believe that Cally's pogey can be 130 base speed. So in my mind it can't fit specified parameters.

Even with all the imagination and all of your very own ideas of it's movement and character (which I'll state again I LOVE, and can so totally see and agree with you on) I still can not accept it with a speed of 130. I'll happily grant base 120. But not 130. 130 is top tier OU speed man!! (And no body say Ninjask or Deoxys S... they are freaks and don't belong in an actual "speed tier". They are irrelevant.) Pushing it 130 speed to me is like "Dude you took the fantasy too far!! You ruined it!! bummer......)

That's my fundamental problem. I agree the best art should win. But the art must still adhere to specifications in order for it to truly qualify.

Put these two designs in race against one another and I struggle to see YDG's losing to Cally's. (And no body say "well then theoretically, in that case you could give YDG's a base 140 Speed!"... don't make me hurt you!)

um haha no remember the year 2000?

xP

I just don't really like Caladbolg's art, that's all. But yeah, there's really nothing more I can say. I hope YDG's wins.
Majority of electoral votes not popular votes ;). And by majority specifically over 50% of the total vote. Of course there has never been an issue of not having the majority as far as i know, since third party candidates practically never have a chance...

This is the most votes we've had in this CAP, the last poll didn't even have 200 voters =/

@Vividsketch
Don't forget there are other stats too. I simply can't see yDG's guy having base 90 HP (it looks too fragile) or only 60 Atk (with all these sharp claws).
However, I imagine Caladbolg's one to be a calm and focused guy, who knows when and how to attack. And it looks more special-orientated. It's also a bit more solid than the other option. Ok, maybe it shouldn't have that much Speed, but... it still makes more sense than yDG's submission. For me, at least.

Hmm... posting with the obvious "This is the closest CAP ever". But really, 2 incredibly close final polls so far. We could have done 4 different Rock pokemon from this (well, artwork doesn't matter too much competitive-wise, but still...)

Anyways, voted Cadablog~, but I like both artworks very much and will be happy no matter who wins.

One thing I do want to point out is that I value consistancy in CAP. If we're going to go ahead and be lenient with other parts of the process (which we've done, like movepool), then there is absolutely no reason we shouldn't be a bit lenient with the way stats match artwork. If you aren't willing to do it for artwork, then please shut up when we get to movepool.

EDIT- Also posting because a lot of people are saying on the server they think that some people are making alts to influence the vote. I'm skeptical, however the last poll only had 242 votes, and the one before that had 247. We're at 269 right now and counting... which is a bit fishy, though as I said on the server could be atributed to the fact that this is a close poll and members may be encouraging other people to vote.

On a side note, there are under 200 votes (169 to be exact) in the final stat spread poll, and 142 in the one before that. So a huge increase is possible in a close poll I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)