CAP 12 CAP1 - Part 8 - (Name Submissions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This CAP will not be remembered forevermore as CAP1. It will be remembered by its name. This thread will be the beginning of determining what that name shall be.

This is not a total free-for-all, there are some rules that govern the name submission process.

• Names must be marked as final submissions to get into the polls. Be sure to make it clear to me in your post that the name you want to submit is your final submission.

• Only one final submission per person. This is for cutting down on the inevitably large number of names that will be proposed in this thread. You're allowed to post multiple names and get feedback, but you may only consider one of these names your final submission.

• The length limit for Pokemon names is 10 characters. This is the limit that exists in-game, and it's the limit that we will be using for submissions here.

• Do NOT post just to say that you like another name, without some additional reasoning. Your post will be moderated. The system here is that names that get a lot of support will grab my attention more than ones that don't, but it's not that hard to back up your post with reasoning. For example, "I like the name Cutelionz because in addition to being catchy, it's also fitting because it paints an accurate picture of the cuteness level of this Pokemon" is going to be allowed because it's descriptive, whereas "I like the name Cutelionz a lot" is spam and will be moderated.

While not official rules, here are some good guidelines as to avoid having me ignore your submission:

• Don't submit a name that contains profanity or suggests profanity. This should go without saying.

• Don't submit a name that is very similar to that of another Pokemon. Names ending in -raptor are too similar to Staraptor for me to take them seriously, for instance. I know this is somewhat picky, but that's the way it is.

Here is our Pokemon so far:

Concept: Momentum
General Description: This will be a Pokemon that can be utilized to gain or regain momentum for a player's team at any point in the match as its primary function.
Justification: Gen. 5 is a very powerful metagame. As such, most battles are won by the smarter strategist who can best maneuver around his/her opponent's onslaught to gain even a single turn's advantage, potentially clinching them the match. This process of gaining and regaining momentum is most often the defining element that makes a winner and a loser out of a single Pokemon battle. Any top player in this metagame should agree that momentum is the most crucial element in any given match; however, "momentum" itself is a rather vaguely defined term that is never really explored in concrete terms. Is it keeping opposing teams on the defensive? Forcing switches? Good prediction? Spamming U-turn? These have all been approaches to achieving momentum, but they are also player-side and largely synonymous with "strategy," as opposed to Pokemon-side and regarding a Pokemon's role on the team. Certainly there are threats like Ferrothorn/Gliscor (defensive) and Scizor/Latios/Voltlos, etc., etc. (offensive) that can achieve momentum as we know it, but there is no current niche for a "momentum Pokemon" because the concept has been purely delegated to players and not to Pokemon.
Questions to be Answered:
-How do we define momentum in terms of competitive Pokemon? What factors make current Pokemon able to achieve momentum and how can we incorporate that information into a successful CAP?
-How do different styles of play (Weather-based offense, stall, bulky offense, etc.) use momentum to achieve their goals and how can our CAP play to those strategies in an effort to take their momentum away?
-What type of traditional role (sweeper, tank, wall, support) would a Pokemon like this most resemble? Would it have to be able to fit more than one of these roles to fit in a variety of teams?
-How will the different playstyles be affected by the addition of a Pokemon that can regain offensive/defensive momentum at any given point? Will offensive teams play more conservatively? Will defensive teams play more recklessly? Will everything simply adapt to a new threat and move on normally?
Typing: Flying/Fighting

Base Stats: 105 HP/60 Atk/90 Def/115 SpA/80 SpD/85 Spe

Abilities: Intimidate/Prankster

This thread will close in exactly 24 hours. Be creative, and let's come up with the perfect name!

Griffleon

Etymology: Griffin + Leon
Griffleon is a portmanteau of Griffin, the mythological creature the art is based upon, and leon, the ancient Greek word for lion which is a part of a griffin and visibly present in the art's design. I chose this because I felt that the design looks fierce and that should be reflected in the name, while at the same time I think focusing on the idea of a griffin is important given the art design.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission...

Griffaux

Etymology: Griffin + Faux

Just a simple name, because I'm uninspired. Griffin refers to its Griffin like appearance, & Faux makes reference to the fact that it isn't really a Griffin. That's about it for me.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Lessee, my initial guesses consisted of:

-Gruffian (Gruff ruffian, also plays off of the seemingly griffin look to it)
-Bluffian (Bluff+ruffian, almost like above, except it indicates that it's appearance is a bluff)
-Squallble (a squall is a sudden burst of wind, and given this guy's cute but meschievious appearance, I can see him raising all sorts of "Squallbles"!

Yeah, I personally like Bluffian and Squallble right now. Thoughts?

Final Submission: Griffion

Inspired by Dusk's really, this is just a simpler form: Griffin + Lion.

I think the 'l' is a little unwieldy and the shared 'i' makes for a smooth combination. It's intended to be simple, with "lion" hiding within "griffin".

And for other names along the same lines: Griffeon, Gryphion, and Grypheon. Let me know if you prefer any of these to Griffion.

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Final Submission

Gryphster

Etymology: Gryphon + Grifter + Prankster

Gryphon is an alternative spelling of griffin, the inspiration for this design
Grifter means someone who plays confidence tricks on others, since this mon can pretend to be a bird and thus hoodwink people.
The -ster suffix is cool mang, and also suggests Prankster, one of its abilities.

Woo, I've been excited for this! Ok, I have a few ideas that I'll eventually narrow down as we go along.

Anyway, looking at this Mon, I get a couple of vibes. First of all is a distinct Greek vibe coming from the sphinx inspiration. I'm also getting an American Indian feel from the coloration and tribal inspiration (fitting since he's coming from an American themed region).

Anyway, the ideas I came up with were:

Bellophon - a shortening of Bellerophon, the hero who killed the chimera. Plus the suffix -phon like gryphon.

Herapache/Herapachi - combines Herakles (a Greek hero, the Greek version of Hercules) and Apache, an American Indian tribe.

Cherakles - Combining Herakles (the hero again), Cherokee (an Indian tribe), and also giving little hints of Cherubim, a little baby-angel figure that fits the guy as well.

Cherakles is my favorite.

Wanblits or Wanblion, wanbli is the suoix name for eagle, I thought it would fit since the art has a Native American feel. what do you guy's think?

Final Submission

Mimikido

A combination of mimicry and Hapkido, a martial arts style that revolves around throwing - i.e., sending your opponent "Flying" through the air. This shows that CAP1 is a cat/lion "mimicking" a much more dangerous creature as a defensive measure - in this case, a rather nasty looking eagle - that can send opponents "Flying", if sufficiently provoked.

Feleon
We get the "lion" bit in there, and it also sounds like felon, thus making Prankster sound a little more accurate. It also has "fel", as in a fell swoop, a reference to a bird hunting its prey, like the way a falcon would nosedive to get a rat or something. I mostly just wanted to break from all these Griffon related names.

EDIT: Final Submission

Engineer Pikachu

Good morning, you bastards!
is a Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission:

Grifter

Griffin + Prankster or Griffin + Grifter; there is more than one way to interpret this.

I originally had it as "Grifster", but that just doesn't roll off the tongue as nicely.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
- Gustigrave: a very deadly Pokemon who inhabits the skies
- Gustigar: courage of the skies
- Glarigold: in reference to his lethal gaze and golden fur coat
- Griffender: Griffin defender
- Ulgahawk: does Volcarona's Japanese name count...?
- Vulterra: earth and sky

That's all I have for now. Thoughts?

- Gustigrave: a very deadly Pokemon who inhabits the skies
- Gustigar: courage of the skies
- Glarigold: in reference to his lethal gaze and golden fur coat
- Griffender: Griffin defender
- Ulgahawk: does Volcarona's Japanese name count...?
- Vulterra: earth and sky

That's all I have for now. Thoughts?
Gustigar is my favorite of the lot. Glarigold is meh, Griffender is okay but I'd like it if we could have a slightly less obvious name than something with "griffin" in it. Ulgahawk and Vulterra just sound awkward to me.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Ah actually, I'm gonna wrap up my submission real quicklike as I'm rather pleased with one of my submissions, and I kinda wanna beat the influx of names honestly... :x

Final Submission

Squallble

Meant to incorporate "Squall" (a sudden burst of wind) into "Squabble" (a petty fight, and I can pretty much imagine a squabble breaking out if a group of these mischievous-natured beasts got together.

Plus it kinda sounds "cutesy", so yeah.

Final Submission

Mimickoo (Mim-ik-oo)

Etymology: Mimic + Cuckoo
Mimic is what this bird does: pretending to be another species for any number of reasons. The Cuckoo part comes from a real life bird, the Common Hawk-Cuckoo. This bird mimics the body color and mannerisms of a hawk found in the same areas. It is also a brooding parasite, so it is a prankster (of extreme sorts)

Keenine (combination of keen as in keen eyesight "eagle-eyed" and feline.)
Panthaptor (combination of panther and raptor.)
Tigron (combination of tiger and gryphon)
Accipthera (combination of Accipitridae and Panthera.)

Just some ideas I wanted to get out.

E: Just wanted to mention that I think Panthraptor sounds better but it is too long.

Final Submission

Zephyrath

From 'Zephyrus', the Greek God of West Wind, and 'Wrath' which deliberately connects to its being Fighting-type. I would have named it Zephyroth, but that sounds very un-original *coughfinalfantasycough*

DarkSlay

Guess who's back? Na na na! *breakdances*
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

FINAL SUBMISSION

Gryphaux

Etymology:
Gryphon (Multiple meanings. See below.) + Faux (to be false, or appearing to be something that it is not.)

A Gryphon is an alternate spelling of the mythological creature "Griffin". It also means a "mud hill" geographically, representing this Pokemon's tribal roots. Gyrphaux could possibly live in tribes, making nests in the sides of mountains consisting of mud hills and huts. Much like past and current Native tribes. The term Faux fits the design perfectly, as Gryphaux is trying to have the appearance of a bird for both flight and intimidation.

Gryphaux is a unique spelling, and really stands out from other Pokemon names while also keeping the tradition of name combination. I feel that it's also somewhat intimidating, and at least to me, the syllable of "phaux" somewhat sounds like a bird-like sound as well as a representation of the bird-like costume on its back (a large, hawk-like predator).

---

As a side note to not be included in the submission, I also think that "Gryphake" would be a pretty cool and cute name for a pre-evolution. :)

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Tomohawk

"Tomahawk" is a fighting weapon, "Mohawk" is a tribe, and just having "Hawk" in there brings in the whole flying concept. The design has a very tribal feel, and this name has a tribal feel too.

A couple preliminaries, feedback appreciated!

Gryfist
Etymology: Gryphon + Fist

Silhawk
Etymology: pencak silat+hawk

Thaiphoon
Etymology: Muay Thai+Typhoon

Falkhan
Etymology: Falcon+Khan (like the Mongol leader)

Whirlwing
Etymology: Whirlwind+wing

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Gustigar is my favorite of the lot. Glarigold is meh, Griffender is okay but I'd like it if we could have a slightly less obvious name than something with "griffin" in it. Ulgahawk and Vulterra just sound awkward to me.
I don't support cheesy puns either, but Griffender was one of those things off the top of my head. My personal favorite is Gustigrave, with Gustigar as a close second. I think Gustigar has the best public appeal, though. Both sound pretty badass to me.

Gryphony - It is meant to be a mixture of Griffin and Phony, yet it might be better pronounced GRIFF-en-ee. That's all I got so far. Will think of some better concepts.

And yes, doominic77, it looks like yours, but your name didn't inspire this one. Not a final submission, but I'll still work on it.

EDIT: since no one else posted yet, I also have a simple Pheline for a phony cat, or something that sounds cool to me, Falcelot (not only related to "ocelot" and "false", it would sound like "False-a-lot"). Still, more ideas coming. This is the only thing I can actually do here, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)