CAP 12 CAP1 - Part 8 - (Name Submissions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Griffgraff - A play on words with riff-raff, the name suggests a toughness inherent in fighting type pokemon while also helping to drive the "hey guys, this is a gryphon" aspect home to people who don't quite get it from the art. If hyphens are okay in names "Griff-Graff" may work better. Also thinking of "Gryphgraff." Not a final submission, but I'll submit one of these names as a final after some feedback.

Techumera - The Pokemon gives off something of a native-american vibe, so Tecumseh + Chimera.
Machimera - Combo of Makiwara, the padded posts used in karate, and Chimera.
Falkuando - Falcon + Taekwondo
Capoephyn - Capoeira + Griffin
Graphyn - Grapple + Griffin
Iroquimera - Iroquois + Chimera

Comedy option:
Kickaponch - Kickapoo + Punch

lets see, few things can match this as well as the name voodoom did to it's CAP...
Hmm......

Etymology materials:
Courage
Indian tribe: Shoshone, Cherokee, Apache, Sioux just some that come to mind
Shine (the colors may just be reminiscent of how ho-oh was shiny, idk, vibrant colors always just give off "SHINE")
Indian (the word itself)
Protector
Lone
Griffin
Phoenix (different representations of a phoenix, they often paint it in vibrant firey colors of red yellow or orange.)
Brave
Solitary/Solitude
Sky/Wind/Gust/Storm/Tornado/Breeze, etc.
Talon

hm...

ideas:
-Skry (sky+skratch) (S-cry)
-Skree (Sky+SKREEEE!) (infamous giant bird call) (S-kree)
-Skilian/Skiliard/Skilyan/Skilyard (Sky+Skill (...or kill...)+something to make it a name) (Skill-yin/Skill-yerd/Skill-ian/Skill-E.-erd)
-???

The word sky just seems to fit it so well, not really a reason for it, I see SK/KR-something in it, the hard part is finding something after it that slides through the word, (smooth and rolls of the tounge) like skarffin/Skriffin (skar/sky+griffin) just doesn't SOUND right.

Hmm....

-oh god nvm, i just though of what SKY+TOTEM was
-Skeir... (sky+scare+Skar+hair+air+whatever else you can think of)

hm... how 'bout Skarvin? Skarvin is very oddly alot smoother than skarffin yet sounds almost the same, it also adds raven into the mix, like how it mimics a bird

okay, list of possible names I got:Skarvin

Ok, that's pretty much how I thought of it, (I sat here thinking of it and typed what I thought) SO THATS THE NAME. Not gonna be my final submission yet... I think I can come up with something better...

I hope I'm not typing too much, but some of this may inspire you guys.

oops, I typed every other sentence beginning with hm... weird.

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Cherokeet

Name is based off of the native american tribe Cherokee and a parakeet :)

I like Random's Griffaux

Korski

Distilled, 80 proof
is a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
These threads tend to lose their luster pretty quickly, so I hope people don't just start throwing out anything that hasn't been portmanteaued yet. Of the names suggested so far I like Tomohawk the best. It's clean and neat, clever, and incorporates both the CAP's typing and some of the flavor from Cartoons!'s design. I also liked Griffgraff for being cute, alluding to CAP's Prankster ability, and not being too convoluted despite its length.

And as a personal sidenote, i don't think CAP1 is a "fake," "phony," or "faux" anything. It's a griffon'mon that other Pokemon/people apparently mistake to be a bird of prey sometimes and from certain angles, so I guess names that incorporate those words don't really appeal to me.

Alright, I think I should start analyzing names.

I really like both Griffaux and Gryphaux equally, simply because I don't care much about spelling (hence my problem with Krilowatt vs. Krillowatt a few CAPs ago). I feel the name should easy to say.

With that, I am truly a fan of Griffaux/Gryphaux (easy pronunciation and simple roots) and Griffgraff (playful name suited for a playful-looking Pokemon, and shows it as a Fighting-type).

I think I might stick with Gryphony, pronounced how I stated earlier. If anyone else would like this name spelled differently, I'll see how it looks and adjust accordingly. I'd also like to hear a few others comments on already-mentioned names.

Warleon

Peltiary (mixture of aviary and "pelt" which can refer to the bird pelt on his back and the act of pelting)

Hellion (origins are ambiguous; can be seen as being a combination of "hell" and "lion", but it can also be seen as a combination of "helios" and "lion" {can also be spelled Helleon, Helion, or Heleon})

Peleon (Spanish origin: roots=Pelear (to fight) and leon)

Peleondo (slight variation; uses present progressive form of "pelear", "peleando", and mixes it with "leon" once again)

Griffindor

Aerofin (Aero and Griffin; sounds a bit familiar though)

If I ever think of more I will get back to you

EDIT: Griffinniffirg obligatory anagram

Furrocious lol

kingofmars

Its 2015 somewhere
won the 2nd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
VGCPL Champion
Final Submission

HopiGroffi
Hopi+tweak of word griffin, plays off the word hippogriff, which is a baby of a griffin and a horse. This not only plays off the obvious (tribal and griffin) routes, but also is about the young apperance of Cap1

Edit: Yay 100th post

Final Submission

Velocikee

Velocity (relating to momentum, plus the whole "fast bird of prey" deal) + Cherokee (tribal design), with added velocity rhyming attempts for maximum "5th Gen Pokemon Name" feel.

Though, to be honest, DJD nailed it with Tomohawk, for being a portmanteau, a respelling of a word, fitting the typing and art, and being easy to pronounce, so in addition to submitting my name I'll go ahead express my liking of that submission, too.

Griffix or Heralfin.

Griffix is simply griffin + ix. Heralfin on the other hand, comes from herald/heraldic and griffin. The griffin itself is a heraldic creature, frequently used on coat of arms.

Totephyn (said: Toe - te - fin)

Derived from the words Totem and a misspelling of griffin - griphyn. idk I reckon it sounds cool as well as not being hard to say.

EDIT: SO pissed off at my internet. I had about ten awesome names edited in.

Anyway the best imo was Tomafaux. A perversion of Tomahawk by using Faux meaning fake or false. I really like this one. Feedback so I can pick which one to make final submission?

EDIT 2:

Gaffon or Gaphon Perversion of griffin to make it sound more like gaffe meaning false or error.

Facanix union of the words Facade (In the sense of masks) and Phoenix.

Furfin Cute non serious name. Fusion of Fur and Griffin.

Belleophon - (Be-lay-oh-fon) Sounds a lot like kalamadude's idea, but changes the etymology to Bellerophon - Leo (Lion) - Gryphon

Grath - (Grath) Gryphon and Wrath, Flying Fighting, you know the drill on this one. Plus he looks a little pissed off.

Gryblitz -(Grih-Blits) Gryphon and Blitz in a name, but when said aloud it sounds vaguely like a breakfast cereal... ._.

Mystihawk
- (Miss-ti-hawk) Mystic and Hawk, referring to his bird and shaman like appearance, but also to the fact that his special attack is much higher than his physical attack.

Airazor - (Ayr-ayzor) Air and Razor, but only if this guy is allowed to share a name with a Transformer. O_o

Well, stuck on what my final should be. Any input? Any redeeming qualities?

Gryphahawk:
First: These pokémon are said to have been worshiped long ago.
Second: Extremely rare, catching a Gryphohawk is an achievement.
Third: Most Gryphahawk live alone in either mountains or forests, if a Gryphahawk finds a partner they stay faithful until far after death.

Destiny Warrior

also known as Darkwing_Duck
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Azteffin

Aztec + Griffin

One of the traditional soldiers of the Aztecs was the eagle warrior. If you look at the design closely, you'll find that the actual face has an eagle-like "face" on top of it, which is very similar to the eagle warrior. Griffin is kind of obvious, because the design itself is based on a griffin.

I think I like Foolynx as well. Simple and effective. For some reason I also slipped by DJD's Tomohawk. Very creative, except for some odd reason, the name looking and sounding like "tomahawk" is not what I think of this CAP as. I dunno, but it's a very good name nonetheless.

I'll come in tomorrow afternoon to look at more names I like and input my Final Submission.

Final Submission

Griffeign

Combination of "griffon" and "feign" that not only represents the concept, but rolls of the tongue as a pun.

skyric: a typo probably, but I like that name.... maybe a few alterations

skywire comes to mind
what about Skyrize? It sounds too on the nose, its smooth and all but it sounds too much like a regular word (sky-rise are 2 words and then theres a high-rise (tall building) so...)... plz give feedback

skyren? Sirens are weird creatures in mythology that TRICK sailors into jumping into the water with their song and swimming toward them, they all drown.

current list:
Skarvin
Skyrize*
Skyren

Final Submission

Kwosiforp

Quarter circle forward + P is the most common way to throw a fireball in fighting games, and since this guy is most likely going to fire quite a few Aura Spheres around, I thought this name would fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)