CAP 12 CAP1 - Part 8 - (Name Submissions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final Submission

Shamavian

...Yeah, "Haidagriff" sounded too awkward for me and I highly doubt that anyone would vote that name over such gems as "Tomohawk"... so I'm going to submit a simpler name. Basically, a flying shaman. Additionally, I think that this is a good-sounding name for a final evolution if the pre-evo goes through. For a while, I wanted to incorporate "chief" into my submission, but I just couldn't do it. All of the names I came up with sounded terrible.

I suppose there are also a few accidental "easter egg" style references here as well, such as "sham"/"shame" (there are some totem poles called "shame poles").

To the "lolShaymin" folk: I doubt that the first "a" will be pronounced long like in "Shaymin", simply because the second "a" will be pronounced long. I think. Whatever... This was the best I could come up with. Take it or leave it.

I'm having a lot of fun looking at these suggestions, because I've been called a lot of them before. I personally love Grifgraff, but I think just aesthetically it looks better with two "f"s. Griffgraff may not sound any different, but just looks better.
On the same train of thought, Gryphgraff is also a possibility.
All sound the same, and are the same type of concept, it just boils down to personal opinion.

Lol I like this one, Not only cuz it was a name I had posted and inquired on, but because next to Squallble, it was the next best name I could come up with that sounded nice and natural.

I won't care if you submit it as a final sub, I went with A different name anyway and tbh I would be happy with it either way lol
Dude, I seriously must have missed that, I thought I took a good look at everyone's...

I'll gladly cede this back to you, if you want.

Final Submission

I'll final sub this because it got some recognition xD Thanks, Chieliee

Momenthu
(pronounced Mo-men-too)

Its a combination of momentum, and Menthu, the hawk-headed Egyptian god of war, who was also worshiped as the lord of the sky. Menthu also means nomad, which could represent Momenthu's likely use of switching in and out of battle often. It doesn't really fit in with it being a totem pole icon, but it could fit in with being a sphinx icon.
I think both Grifgraff and Gryphaux are pretty punny and don't require an extensive knowledge to understand them (which is really Momenthu's downfall), so kudos to DarkSlay and Kennisiou =D

I'm having a lot of fun looking at these suggestions, because I've been called a lot of them before. I personally love Grifgraff, but I think just aesthetically it looks better with two "f"s. Griffgraff may not sound any different, but just looks better.
On the same train of thought, Gryphgraff is also a possibility.
All sound the same, and are the same type of concept, it just boils down to personal opinion.
Definitely not Gryphgraff. What makes Griffgraff so good is that you can see immediately that it's based on riff-raff.

Which brings me onto another point about portmanteaus and people using corrupted versions of words: please make it blatantly obvious what your name is based on. Tomohawk works because it looks so similar to the word tomahawk. I think I saw two people suggesting Griffist and Gryphist - the first one is obviously incorporating the word fist whereas the second one loses the obviousness of the connection. In my opinion, the only time you should use gryph at the start of a portmanteau is if the other word also starts with a ph. Gryphony = yes. Gryphaux = no.

If it hasn't been suggested already, how about Tigahawk or Tygahawk (I never saw much of a griffin in this thing, it always looked like a feathered tiger to me)? It combines "Tiger" and "hawk" with "Tomahawk" because that Native American feel to the design just makes the whole thing work.

Also a tiger-hawk is not something I'd want to piss off.

I liked the Idea of a Shaman for the name concept, so I'm using that

Shawk

lol, Sawk

or Shahawk, Shamyn, Gryman Hawsh (ooh)

any ideas? last post before final submission

Final Submission

Swiftaka

Combination of "swift" and "taka", which i think means honorable in Japanese. Whatever the meaning, it sounds really cool.

FINAL SUBMISSION
Pugtrifig

First thing- the FIRST g is silent. So, the name phonetically sounds like Pew-tri-fig. Putrifig is a name thrown together from three latin words that mean Tribal, Fake, and Fighter. Pugtrifig is a tribal-style fighter and not a real bird, but a fake one.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Dude, I seriously must have missed that, I thought I took a good look at everyone's...

I'll gladly cede this back to you, if you want.
Lol naah don't sweat it, I'd hate a good name to go to waste and tbh, you should go for it. :3

Final Submission

Gritten

Basically a combination of griffin and kitten. Kitten doesn't seem like the most ferocious word, but Gritten also sounds the word "grit" followed by a grunt, which is enough ferocity to sastify me.

Pronunciation-wise I'd say it's supposed to be GRIT-en. The pronunciation is supposed to be griffin with "t"s where the "f"s are. The "e" is just for the kitten connection.

I was inspired by the similarities in the pronunciations of griffin and kitten; they basically rhyme. If it doesn't work for this one's name, it might be nice for a prevo because it's related to the word kitten. I also had some other ideas, but I think that this one fits the best.

I'm just gonna go for it, and make this my Final Submission:

Straffinix

Backstory:I'm sure there are better names out there...This one I made by combining Strafe, which is a kind of air maneuver where a aircraft attacks a ground target, Which is kind of what this CAP does. Also combined with the Sphynx sound (because it looks fairly lionish to me). Pronounced like Stray-finx. Also maybe considering Straffinix, pronounced Stray-fin-icks, although that may be a little to Phoenix sounding to me.

Cephootem (pronounced sEfuwtEm)

Cephalo + totem (odoodem)

Cartoons! mentioned how this CAP is "a popular subject for totem polls in tribal societies", and after searching in the web, it does resemble some figureheads of popular totem poles. The word is basically a portmanteau of the Greek cephalo which means "head", and totem (derived from odoodem). For flavor, visualize CAP1 on top of a pole. Cephootem basically means "head of totem".

Hope the etymology is not that obscure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)