Catching Diamond and Pearl Legendaries : A Guide [see sd's topic]

I don't think that Spear Pillar, where Dialga and Palkia are captured, is technically considered a "cave" area, because once while resetting for a good nature, it became morning and my Dusk Balls repeatedly failed to work despite me False Swiping down to 1 HP.
That's odd, because I never got 'im down to 1 hp, just in the red as I can manage, and I average 5 dusk balls, in the morning, past 9am. Of course, I only did this about three or so times before I found a nice Palkia.

Well, as mentioned before, Dialga and Palkia have some of the highest capture rates for legendaries. However, I do not believe they are in the dark/cave area, from my experiance, which appears to agree with Great Sage's.

Well, no, not a single pokemon learns false swipe and yawn. but, one could use the move sequence i reccomended...yawn, protect, switch, then attack with false swipe. Or yawn, switch, attack. Just an idea. And Snorlax (the one I reccomend) can come in on almost anything, with the massive Special Def and HP.

Well, the original plan of mine was to only add in Pokémon that can learn both False Swipe and a sleeping move, to prevent the need of switching, so adding in Snorlax would defeat that purpose. I would then also have to include more Pokémon to be fair, and really, I don't see anything wrong with a high-level Gallade, as it has nice Special Defense, and Attack as well, but it learns both Hypnosis and False Swipe. It's convenience really, and frees up more room in your party to have one Pokémon to do more than one job, or a large job. Hell, if you have a good-natured Mew and Pokémon XD, you could teach it Hypnosis and False Swipe, then have it Synchronize as well, to do three jobs at once. Too bad that's very hard to come by though.

Well, as mentioned before, Dialga and Palkia have some of the highest capture rates for legendaries. However, I do not believe they are in the dark/cave area, from my experiance, which appears to agree with Great Sage's.
That's indeed true. Oh yeah, Empoleon is an amazing wall for Palkia. Everything it does is NVE, so you can just sit there and toss duskballs for five or so turns.

Question; after encountering Uxie/Azelf and then fainting, when I go back later with a Syncronizer, will their natures/IVs change?

Yes.

Arseus: Eh, Chimchar is overrated. xD
Correct.

I would say that Chimchar is the best of the starters, but I'm not really here to tell people what starter to use, as it's near irrelevant to the guide. Anyway, I could see Empoleon being a good Palkia wall. I found that my team was at a level where it was more an issue not OHKOing the box legend rather than surviving their hits.

Very useful article!
You might want to mention timer balls as another option, if you have the cash to buy a ton of them. I caught all my legendaries in them.

Correct.

I would say that Chimchar is the best of the starters, but I'm not really here to tell people what starter to use, as it's near irrelevant to the guide. Anyway, I could see Empoleon being a good Palkia wall. I found that my team was at a level where it was more an issue not OHKOing the box legend rather than surviving their hits.
Chill man, I was just joking. =P

Question; after encountering Uxie/Azelf and then fainting, when I go back later with a Syncronizer, will their natures/IVs change?
Yes they will.

The stars of Diamond and Pearl, Dialga and Palkia are fairly easy to capture, by legendary standards. They are located at the top of Tengan Mountain, and you must either capture or defeat them to advance in the storyline. Now, you should be able to navigate your way up Tengan, as it is in the main storyline, so please check out a FAQ in the event you get lost. After you have beaten the head honcho of Team Galactic, Cyrus, Dialga/Palkia will wait for you to battle them. Be sure to heal any of you Pokémon that have fainted or been wounded from you heroic battles against Team Galactic, and save a long way before the legendaries. Enjoy the happy tune that plays. If you are going to use Dusk Balls however, you must wait until after 20:00, as they are not encountered in a dark area, unlike the majority of legendaries.
Minor, but you used the Japanese names. You can also mention their catch rate; the same of that of Perap (30). Very nice guide, Net Ball is also viable for Palkia if you don't want to snag it ONLY at night time.

I don't know why I said Tengan Juuka, maybe I'm just used to it. I think all instances are changed to Coronet now. I can't seem to find the Perap mention anywhere though. Added in about Net Balls for Palkia, and will also put in a note on Timer Balls for Forretress. Though really, you will probably catch the legendaries before the Timer Balls are effective enough, or at least that's what I found.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Yes, Empoleon is great walling Palkia but, sooner or later, it will start using Ancientpower and, something I noticed is, Ancientpower's side effect ALWAYS work. Ok, not always, but something like 50%.

Did someone notice that too?

I have Diamond, so I can neither confirm nor deny this. Ancientpower's effect rate is supposed to be 10%. However, the AI seems to be programmed with better "luck" than normal players have, so the effect rate could be higher. That said, the highest I would assume they would make it would be 20%. I don't know mind, you could just be very unlucky.

Pidge

('◇')
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Great guide, you almost covered everything I could think of. I'm surprised you didn't mention the catch formula or ball rate, tough.

Great guide, you almost covered everything I could think of. I'm surprised you didn't mention the catch formula or ball rate, tough.
Well, I didn't include these for two main reasons. One being I was not 100% sure of the Diamond and Pearl catching formula, or Quick Ball mechanics (I still need this). The other was I thought it would drag down the guide with unneeded info (the stats are worse, but more useful in the long run). After I finish another guide I'm working on, I can maybe add catch rate stuff if people would like to see it.

Yes, Empoleon is great walling Palkia but, sooner or later, it will start using Ancientpower and, something I noticed is, Ancientpower's side effect ALWAYS work. Ok, not always, but something like 50%.

Did someone notice that too?
Not for me, and I always average 5 dusk balls anyway. >_> I catch him before the damage starts becoming anything serious, since he only does like 10% damage at most to me.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
You might want to note that a Gengar/Haunter plus any Normal type will wall Giratina infinitely. Uxie, even at level 50, is also generally useful for walling other legendaries, and can put them to sleep with Yawn.

Okay, I added in all the event Pokémon now! In case anyone's wondering how I got the information, I did not use any game-altering devices! Instead, I searched Youtube for how to do the events (you can even do it yourself, search "Arceus Event" for example), and for the movesets, I searched Serebii's Pokédex for the four level-up moves the Pokémon would know when you battle them. This update was to help the guide feel more complete, as anyone with access to a game-altering device to get the events has access to 31 IVs in every stat anyway, so I don't feel I'm helping cheaters get good Pokémon. As usual, feel free to comment/correct!

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
Quick Ball's capture rate is 4x the first 5 turns, 3x the next 5 turns, etc., until it bottoms out at 1x. Also, note that Shaymin's capture rate is a very high 45. For Arceus, I recommend using a Gengar and a couple of bait Pokemon to take Future Sight; you can Sleep it, use Spite to slash its Recover HP, and take no damage from Hyper Beam.

While I appreciate the Pokémon suggestions in your posts Great Sage, I'm not sure if it's right to tell people what Pokémon to use when fighting the legendaries. I'm already telling them they need HM Slaves, Synchronizers, and Catchers, and that's 3/6 Pokémon already, and I'm not in a hurry to take away from that.

Thanks for the Quick Ball information, it seems it isn't as great as I thought it was at first; in the first five turns it's just like Dusk Balls. I'm probably going to include the capture formula along with catch rates for all the legendaries within the next couple days, I just hope it doesn't bog down the guide.

Although, if you really want to find competitive pokemon, I say just forget the duskball game and trade for more master balls. It really pulls at your sanity when a sleeping Mesprit with 1 HP manages to dodge 50 dusk balls at 3 AM. And doing that some 20 times before you find a good one? Yeaaah. I don't even want to think about it. Even Masterballing I find myself SRing for a good couple hours at least before I find something I want.

Although, if you really want to find competitive pokemon, I say just forget the duskball game and trade for more master balls. It really pulls at your sanity when a sleeping Mesprit with 1 HP manages to dodge 50 dusk balls at 3 AM. And doing that some 20 times before you find a good one? Yeaaah. I don't even want to think about it. Even Masterballing I find myself SRing for a good couple hours at least before I find something I want.
Well yeah, but you'd be surprised; not everyone wants to, or can clone lots of Master Balls. For example, somebody might not have any previous games (namely Emerald) and waste their Master Ball on Dialga/Palkia. More often is the case they don't want to, and I'd like to cater to these people as well. Granted, Master Balls would be the most effective way to catch the legendaries, and with Wifi many people can easily obtain more items.

I personally took more than twenty hours to catch all the legendaries (except for Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, and Arceus of course) without yet using my Master Ball. Sure, I could have cloned a bunch of Master Balls, but I personally feel better catching them the normal way. I'll admit that cloning Master Balls would've cut the time, and is really the only way to get good legendaries in the Advance Generation.

You need to edit this in: The runners' IVs and nature are determined when you first encounter them. So if you want to save before engaging them, save before you even talk to them. Don't let yourself get stuck with a Docile Mesprit like I am.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)