Creative Sets In Doubles OU

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
your EV spread outruns jolly breloom. if you just want to outrun adamant breloom, you can run a neutral speed nature with the same investment, though 92 timid does it too but i doubt it's the most optimal spread

n10siT

Hoopa can do anything!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
your EV spread outruns jolly breloom. if you just want to outrun adamant breloom, you can run a neutral speed nature with the same investment, though 92 timid does it too but i doubt it's the most optimal spread
I'm not sure why I wrote adamant, but I did mean to EV it to outspeed jolly. Thanks for catching that

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Bisharp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Stone Edge

So, I got this terrible idea to try sets that are a thing in LC and see how well they work in doubles, and this one has actually done pretty well.

Adamant Choice Scarf Bisharp with 252 Speed EVs reaches 358 Speed, which is enough to hit the seemingly most important Speed tier. You outspeed and OHKO Mega Diancie, Latios, Mega Gardevoir, and has a chance to OHKO Terrakion. It's incredibly useful to get the drop on all the Pokemon between 350 and 240; there are quite a few of them. However, it hits like a bitch. Like, not in the good way. It misses having Life Orb. But look at all the stuff that it does hit!!!

252+ Atk Bisharp Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Diancie: 516-612 (214.1 - 253.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios: 408-482 (136.4 - 161.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Bisharp Iron Head vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Gardevoir: 398-470 (143.1 - 169%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Bisharp Iron Head vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 306-362 (94.4 - 111.7%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Bisharp Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 136+ Def Volcarona: 500-592 (134 - 158.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Bisharp Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 572-676 (192.5 - 227.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Bisharp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 24 SpD / 232 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Stone Edge

So, I got this terrible idea to try sets that are a thing in LC and see how well they work in doubles, and this one has actually done pretty well.

Adamant Choice Scarf Bisharp with 232 Speed EVs reaches 351 Speed, which is enough to hit the seemingly most important Speed tier. You outspeed and OHKO Mega Diancie, Latios, Mega Gardevoir, and has a chance to OHKO Terrakion. It's incredibly useful to get the drop on all the Pokemon between 350 and 240; there are quite a few of them. However, it hits like a bitch. Like, not in the good way. It misses having Life Orb. But look at all the stuff that it does hit!!!

252+ Atk Bisharp Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Diancie: 516-612 (214.1 - 253.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios: 408-482 (136.4 - 161.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Bisharp Iron Head vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Gardevoir: 398-470 (143.1 - 169%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Bisharp Iron Head vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 306-362 (94.4 - 111.7%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Bisharp Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 136+ Def Volcarona: 500-592 (134 - 158.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Bisharp Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 572-676 (192.5 - 227.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Just saying at this speed tier you should just go max speed (or at least a few points more than you have). 252 Adamant Talonflame hits 351, and that set with Steel Wing (to outrun and kill Mega Diancie and be able to Flare Blitz Mega Metagross) has become common enough that it makes sense to get up to 352 speed with Scarf Sharp to also outrun that Talonflame set. But even beyond that Stratos has also been trying to popularize Offensive Thundurus, rather than the old common bulkier set. Offensive Thundurus hits 353, so really you should be aiming for 354. Which means 236 Speed, or 240 EVs... and at that point you're best off just going max to creep any things that are creeping the 110s lol :)

In general I like this bluff set because Sash Bisharp is common enough that they won't see Scarf coming until you actually reveal it. Kills with Sucker Punch don't reveal anything, nor does using Knock Off on an Aegislash/Cresselia/etc. So you actually CAN get some surprise kills with this.

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Shaymin-Sky @ Focus Sash
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Seed Flare
- Healing Wish
- Protect

If your team doesn't desperately need ground coverage, Healing Wish is a great way to use your 3rd slot. For those who don't know, Healing Wish makes skymin faint in order to bring in a teammate and restore its health completely. However, not only does it restore your ally's health, but it also removes any status condition from the switched-in pokemon. However, it should be noted that Healing Wish cannot heal an ally that is already on the field. Despite that, you can still switch out an ally and use Healing Wish in the same turn, letting you bring in that same ally in the next turn. Furthermore, using Healing Wish can also keep up your momentum by letting you get rid of skymin in a situation that it may be dead weight and, in turn, giving a teammate a free switch.

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Brave Bird
- Overheat
- whatever
- Protect

I originally planned to use Overheat Talonflame for one purpose: to not be forced to sacrifice my Talonflame in matchups vs. Ferrothorn. However, after using it in some matches, I realized that it was able to do that and more. Most notably, it allows Talonflame to not be useless once being intimidated. It also doesn't wear down Talonflame as quickly as Flare Blitz does. Also, you don't have to risk the attack drop from King's Shield when facing Aegislash, either. That being said, Overheat obviously isn't meant to be used over Flare Blitz all the time, and is more of a niche option for when your team has trouble with Ferrothorn.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Talonflame @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Brave Bird
- Overheat
- whatever
- Protect

I originally planned to use Overheat Talonflame for one purpose: to not be forced to sacrifice my Talonflame in matchups vs. Ferrothorn. However, after using it in some matches, I realized that it was able to do that and more. Most notably, it allows Talonflame to not be useless once being intimidated. It also doesn't wear down Talonflame as quickly as Flare Blitz does. Also, you don't have to risk the attack drop from King's Shield when facing Aegislash, either. That being said, Overheat obviously isn't meant to be used over Flare Blitz all the time, and is more of a niche option for when your team has trouble with Ferrothorn.
I don't consider Overheat niche at all. imo it's actually better than Flare Blitz overall, at worst a rough tie. More people should use it.

Volcarona @ Life Orb
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Giga Drain
- Quiver Dance
- Protect

The general idea of this offensive set is to lure out volc's most common checks and counters and OHKO them with giga drain. Often, stuff like terrakion, keldeo, mega diancie, washtom, etc will switch into volc to try to get rid of it as it sets up. This set tries to take advantage of that, and OHKOs all of them. The speed EVs allow it to outspeed scarf lando-t after one quiver dance, while the leftover is dumped into HP. A few calc to show how hard volc hits after a boost:

+1 252+ SpA Life Orb Volcarona Giga Drain vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Terrakion: 395-465 (121.9 - 143.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ SpA Life Orb Volcarona Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Diancie: 252-299 (104.5 - 124%) -- guaranteed OHKO (before mega)
+1 252+ SpA Life Orb Volcarona Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 120+ SpD Rotom-W: 278-328 (91.4 - 107.8%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
+1 252+ SpA Life Orb Volcarona Heat Wave vs. 44 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 308-364 (93.3 - 110.3%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
+1 252+ SpA Life Orb Volcarona Heat Wave vs. 212 HP / 96 SpD Thundurus: 274-324 (77.8 - 92%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252+ SpA Life Orb Volcarona Heat Wave vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 173-204 (58 - 68.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Something this set really appreciates is stealth rocks, which breaks bisharp, shaymin-sky and terrakion's sashes, allowing volc to KO them with heat wave/giga drain. In addition to that, stealth rocks guarantees a heat wave OHKO on Talonflame, Landorus-Therian, and standard bulky Thundurus-Incarnate, and a giga drain OHKO on Rotom-Wash. Losing bug buzz coverage means this set will struggle against latios/hydreigon and won't function as well as a cress check anymore, so having something to deal with those is a great idea. As usual, volcarona really appreciates redirection support to help it set up and sweep.

Also tagging kamikaze17 and SpaceBass for listening to me drone on about this months ago without blowing their tops. u_u

Last edited:

finally

how can you swallow so much sleep?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
you can use 112 spa to ohko 4hp mega meta which is pretty cool too! its another advantage over flare blitz especially considering they can't drop overheats damage with an intimidate switchin.
most metagrossi should be running 16 hp in order to live life orb bisharp sucker punch (fun metagross spread qp)
252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 16 HP / 0 Def Mega Metagross: 257-304 (84.2 - 99.6%)
thus in order to beat 16 hp metagross with that talonflame you would run 120 spatk
120 SpA Life Orb Talonflame Overheat vs. 16 HP / 0 SpD Mega Metagross: 307-361 (100.6 - 118.3%)

you can run brave bird, flare blitz, overheat, protect talonflame which a lot of people seem to forget. it is similar to the scald, secret sword, hydro pump, protect keldeo

i love deoxys speed

finally

i love this birb. im glad it has gotten more popular.

Blaziken @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 168 Atk / 88 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Overheat
- Low Kick
- Hidden Power [Ice]/ Stone Edge
- Protect

so the evs outspeed adamant scarf landorus-t at +1. you outrun by an extra like 3 speed points, but its not worth it moving from 252 speed to 244 or whatever. fuck KyleCole for running jolly lando.
here are the calcs for damage
168 Atk Life Orb Blaziken Low Kick (100 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 377-447 (107.1 - 126.9%)
168 Atk Life Orb Blaziken Low Kick (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 377-447 (91 - 107.9%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
88 SpA Life Orb Blaziken Overheat vs. 252 HP / 72+ SpD Amoonguss: 432-510 (100 - 118%)
168 Atk Life Orb Blaziken Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 228 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-B: 452-533 (100.8 - 118.9%) this was the set in the calculator
88 SpA Life Orb Blaziken Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 322-380 (100.9 - 119.1%)
168 Atk Life Orb Blaziken Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 432-510 (111.9 - 132.1%)
168 Atk Life Orb Blaziken Low Kick (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Hydreigon: 413-486 (106.4 - 125.2%)
88 SpA Life Orb Blaziken Hidden Power Ice vs. 44 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 322-380 (97.5 - 115.1%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
88 SpA Life Orb Blaziken Overheat vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 304-359 (93.8 - 110.8%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

you mainly use it to beat kanga, kyub, amoonguss, mega metagross, charizard (if stone edge), shaymin-s (ugh sash), hydreigon, heatran, and is a soft landorus-t check.
try bringing blaziken in when you can get a free kill with it which translates into a free turn of speed boost. this way you arent forced into protecting the turn you come in for the boost. it also allows you to protect the second turn you are out in order to really gain a speed edge against tailwind or jolly landorus-t.
pairs well with dragons because dragons levitate and resist water for him and he resists ice for them. also some dragons even resist psychic for him. queue: latios, hydreigon
you dont really build a team around blaziken, you use it as an offencive way to cover weaknesses your team has.

pro-tip: don't low kick rotom-washes. just switch out
deo is still cute

Stratos

Banned deucer.
i love this birb. im glad it has gotten more popular.

Blaziken @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 168 Atk / 88 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Overheat
- Low Kick
- Hidden Power [Ice]/ Stone Edge
- Protect

so the evs outspeed adamant scarf landorus-t at +1. you outrun by an extra like 3 speed points, but its not worth it moving from 252 speed to 244 or whatever. fuck KyleCole for running jolly lando.
here are the calcs for damage
168 Atk Life Orb Blaziken Low Kick (100 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 377-447 (107.1 - 126.9%)
168 Atk Life Orb Blaziken Low Kick (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 377-447 (91 - 107.9%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
88 SpA Life Orb Blaziken Overheat vs. 252 HP / 72+ SpD Amoonguss: 432-510 (100 - 118%)
168 Atk Life Orb Blaziken Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 228 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-B: 452-533 (100.8 - 118.9%) this was the set in the calculator
88 SpA Life Orb Blaziken Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 322-380 (100.9 - 119.1%)
168 Atk Life Orb Blaziken Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 432-510 (111.9 - 132.1%)
168 Atk Life Orb Blaziken Low Kick (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Hydreigon: 413-486 (106.4 - 125.2%)
88 SpA Life Orb Blaziken Hidden Power Ice vs. 44 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 322-380 (97.5 - 115.1%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
88 SpA Life Orb Blaziken Overheat vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 304-359 (93.8 - 110.8%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

you mainly use it to beat kanga, kyub, amoonguss, mega metagross, charizard (if stone edge), shaymin-s (ugh sash), hydreigon, heatran, and is a soft landorus-t check.
try bringing blaziken in when you can get a free kill with it which translates into a free turn of speed boost. this way you arent forced into protecting the turn you come in for the boost. it also allows you to protect the second turn you are out in order to really gain a speed edge against tailwind or jolly landorus-t.
pairs well with dragons because dragons levitate and resist water for him and he resists ice for them. also some dragons even resist psychic for him. queue: latios, hydreigon
you dont really build a team around blaziken, you use it as an offencive way to cover weaknesses your team has.

pro-tip: don't low kick rotom-washes. just switch out
deo is still cute
ah thats cool

i love my blaziken but i had been using it with superpower and like min atk investment which was awkward because i was like "i use speed boost but two stat dropping moves??" so i ended up changing overheat to fire blast which while not bad made me sad about losing those OHKOes. Honestly though superpower/overheat blaziken is still really cool, but probably outclassed by infernape? it has much higher attacking power though and can outspeed lando-t after a protect so... i bet you can use any combination of superpower/low kick and fire blast/overheat effectively depending on what your team needs and whether you primarily use ken for physical or special. in general i feel like you're actually more likely to sweep with fire blast than low kick because it doesnt have the awkward BP problems but i dont rly use ken enough to make a definitive judgment :shruggerino:

one suggestion for the set though, nobody actually uses min spe cube, they all at least creep bisharp. Which means you only need enough Atk for 144 Atk Life Orb Blaziken Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-B: 445-525 (100.9 - 119%) -- guaranteed OHKO, and also u outspeed lando-t at +1 with only 244 spe, and you can dump all the extra in spa (unless u wanna beat timid max tran). the extra special attack makes lando-t a guaranteed ko with hp ice and 120 SpA Life Orb Blaziken Overheat vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 307-367 (94.7 - 113.2%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO which is more reliable.

what do you think about this? i mean u use ken a lot more than i do (ive used it on one team lol)

edit: derped, 208 spe ken only beats 212 spe lando, i knew that didnt sound like enough investment

Last edited:

finally

ah thats cool

i love my blaziken but i had been using it with superpower and like min atk investment which was awkward because i was like "i use speed boost but two stat dropping moves??" so i ended up changing overheat to fire blast which while not bad made me sad about losing those OHKOes. Honestly though superpower/overheat blaziken is still really cool, but probably outclassed by infernape? it has much higher attacking power though and can outspeed lando-t after a protect so... i bet you can use any combination of superpower/low kick and fire blast/overheat effectively depending on what your team needs and whether you primarily use ken for physical or special. in general i feel like you're actually more likely to sweep with fire blast than low kick because it doesnt have the awkward BP problems but i dont rly use ken enough to make a definitive judgment :shruggerino:

one suggestion for the set though, nobody actually uses min spe cube, they all at least creep bisharp. Which means you only need enough Atk for 144 Atk Life Orb Blaziken Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-B: 445-525 (100.9 - 119%) -- guaranteed OHKO, and also u outspeed lando-t at +1 with only 208 spe, and you can dump all the extra in spa (unless u wanna beat timid max tran). the extra special attack makes lando-t a guaranteed ko with hp ice and 156 SpA Life Orb Blaziken Overheat vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 320-377 (98.7 - 116.3%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO which is much more reliable.

what do you think about this? i mean u use ken a lot more than i do (ive used it on one team lol)
a speed list i pmed stratos
this is not accounting for blazikens speed boosts or landorus' scarf. these are just raw numbers. however, blaziken will need a boost in order to outspeed landorus-t so take that into account while you are in battle.
208+ speed blaziken (272) beats 212 speed landorus-t (271)
252+ speed blaziken (284) beats 252 speed landorus-t (281)
252+ speed landorus-t (309) beats all blazikens
this leaves it up to the player to decide if they wanna trade off speed for damage depending on what they think which landorus variant is the most popular. i would recommend 252+ speed because 252 speed adamant landorus-t is what most players run (from a census of me and bear, 100% of players run 252 speed adamant landorus-t).

i think infernape fufills more of a suicidal utility role. fake out and encore mainly. infernape does not help cover the mega metagross and shaymin-s bases that blaziken can. but like fake out. use infernape if you need to generate more free turns with your team. use blaziken if you can already generate free turns and want to abuse them.

as for the fire blast vs overheat/ low kick vs superpower: i think you wanna have the stat lowering move be what your team is already strong against.
if you are strong against fighting weak pokemon (kanga, heatran, kyurem-b) you can run a stat-lowering fighting move (superpower) because your teammates can cover you.
if you are strong against fire weak pokemon (amoongus and aegislash) you can run a stat-lowering fire move (overheat) because your teammates can cover you. your complimentary move would be non-stat lowering in order to let you keep attacking and abuse your stat boosts. you can spam your non-stat lowering against the mons your team has problems with (your team has problems with kang, heatran, kyub so you have low kick to spam). this logic may not be sound because its 1 am. ill look at the stat lowering paradox again tomorrow.

also if anyone is curious why no one mentioned flare blitz, it's because of intimidate landorus-t.

ill experiment with the 144 atk blaziken you suggested and report back here. the set ill be using is 144 atk/ 112 spatk/ 252+ speed

i love packet

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for the s/o finally :toast:

SPL 2015 generated a lot of trends, and Blaziken is one of them. I am excited to see bkc out in the limelight :P

deoxys speed should post here - he showcased some really interesting sets in the winter seasonal! I've also used SD Talonflame, and was happy to see it in action in finals. I thought QD Volcarona was dead in the water after Talonflame's presence, but Nido-Rus and deoxys speed found ways to make it work.

I've accidentally congratulated kamikaze17 on irc for winter seasonals... deoxys speed and kamikaze17 - both good users, imo xP I was tired okay ~_~

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Keldeo @ Roseli Berry
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Scald / Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Quick Guard / Taunt / Icy Wind
- Protect

48 SpA Mega Diancie Moonblast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Roseli Berry Keldeo: 174-205 (53.7 - 63.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Roseli Berry Keldeo: 187-222 (57.7 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Roseli Berry Keldeo: 229-270 (70.6 - 83.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Loses the damage output of Life Orb but serves as an effective lure to Diancie whilst also beating Gardevoir 1v1 and whittling down Sylveon.

Keldeo @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Stone Edge
- Protect

0- Atk Life Orb Keldeo Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Charizard: 317-374 (106.7 - 125.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

pair w/ beat up weavile if you're worried about bulky zard y :^)

finally

Keldeo @ Roseli Berry
Timid Nature
- Scald / Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Quick Guard / Taunt / Icy Wind
- Protect

48 SpA Mega Diancie Moonblast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Roseli Berry Keldeo: 174-205 (53.7 - 63.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Roseli Berry Keldeo: 187-222 (57.7 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Roseli Berry Keldeo: 229-270 (70.6 - 83.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Loses the damage output of Life Orb but serves as an effective lure to Diancie whilst also beating Gardevoir 1v1 and whittling down Sylveon.

Keldeo @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Stone Edge
- Protect

0- Atk Life Orb Keldeo Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Charizard: 317-374 (106.7 - 125.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

pair w/ beat up weavile if you're worried about bulky zard y :^)
For the first keldeo set, the loss of life orb means you cant kill kanga.
So that keldeo pairs with stealth rocks, sand, priorityy, and other general chip dmg

Suicune @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 28 HP / 252 SpA / 228 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Tailwind
- Protect

I've come to like this set. It hits p hard actually even with the base 90 SpA and it has access to Tailwind. Rather than using the late game Suicune this one is used early as a powerful attacker, yet it gets demolished by skymin (ban pls), however, Suicune's natural bulk actually helps it pretty well against Charizard Y
(252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 28 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 296-350 (85 - 100.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO). Ignore Shaymin-S and Charizard Y and you have a pretty threatening Tailwind setter. Speed beats Jolly Breloom (which tbh is a great partner for this).

Suicune @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 28 HP / 252 SpA / 228 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Tailwind
- Protect

I've come to like this set. It hits p hard actually even with the base 90 SpA and it has access to Tailwind. Rather than using the late game Suicune this one is used early as a powerful attacker, yet it gets demolished by skymin (ban pls), however, Suicune's natural bulk actually helps it pretty well against Charizard Y
(252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 28 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 296-350 (85 - 100.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO). Ignore Shaymin-S and Charizard Y and you have a pretty threatening Tailwind setter. Speed beats Jolly Breloom (which tbh is a great partner for this).

It looks like you could probably take a few evs out of spatk and out them into bulk to live that solarbeam, without losing too much spatj

It looks like you could probably take a few evs out of spatk and out them into bulk to live that solarbeam, without losing too much spatj
I'd do that if it weren't Life Orb. Life Orb recoil means you don't EV for like living one hit, as you'll only get off one afterward, or if you've already attacked the Solar Beam is just a straight KO.

Also I'm at a Life Orb number there and take the minimum amount of HP per activation of Life Orb.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Now that we've seen "Pokemon running Life Orb that probably shouldn't" here's "Pokemon that should run Life Orb but isn't:"

Serperior @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 136 HP / 132 SpA / 240 Spe
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Protect

I've been interested in Serperior lately, as it's a pretty cool looking Pokemon and I think it has a lot of potential. I picked this set up from Battle Spot Singles and adapted it for a more fast-paced metagame (the original has Leech Seed and Synthesis over Protect and Dragon Pulse). While weak initially, Serperior's ease of setup makes it dangerous quickly, and this set attempts to capitalize on the momentum Serperior can bring. Reflect is a great help for Serperior and for the hyper offense team that I put it on; with these EVs, Mega Kangaskhan can't OHKO with a +1 Return, and Sucker Punch without a boost stops being a threat entirely. Rocky Helmet makes Kangaskhan even more loath to try revenge killing it, as it's taking around 30% for just trying. Reflect also lets Serperior avoid a 2HKO from Landorus-T's U-turn. All in all, cool set for hyper offense that lets Serperior (and the rest of the team) stick around a bit longer while still being threatening.

Last edited:

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Kyurem-Black @ Leftovers
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Atk / 64 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Protect
- Fusion Bolt
- Stone Edge

noticeably outclassed, even though it's outclassed it has monstrous physical attack and is a very scary surprise for some opponents. also you lose out on perfect coverage but really this thing is a very very very scary threat especially considering people don't prepare for it at all

Talonflame @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Quick Guard
- Tailwind
- Protect

warning: this thing has no damage output at all, it's more utility based with some nice tailwind support also quick guard is sometimes really surprising. you can also run taunt over quick guard. note that this thing doesn't have flare blitz so you pretty much get walled by every steel but w/e it's a nice pivot sometimes anyway

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Why should I use either of those over their standard sets?
you have 5 special attackers on your team and you need a physical attacker and it seems that kyurem-black is best fit for your team

talonflame is fun if you want something to soak up spores, pivot, and have tailwind + quick guard support, especially if your team is in need for quick guard support and you cant fit it on somewhere else

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)