Blissey @ Assault Vest
Ability: Serene Grace / Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def
Calm Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Flamethrower / Fire Blast
- Ice Beam / Blizzard
- Thunderbolt / Thunder

It has 610 SpD thanks to the AV and this combined with its well-known HP stat should make it a gread and hard-hitting tank?

And this is another Toxapex set, can this be useful too?

Toxapex @ Black Sludge / Sitrus Berry / Wiki Berry
Ability: Regenerator / Merciless
EVs: 252 SpD / 252 Def / 4 HP (or other splits?)
Calm Nature
- Stockpile
- Recover
- Scald / Liquidation
- Poison Jab

With Stockpile, it boosts its defenses, so that it gains more and more bulk while also hitting harder and harder. A berry as item restores its HP faster if it was hit by a powerful attack while stockpiling, while Black Sludge provides permanent little recovery and punishes trick/switcheroo.
I would recommend moving Blissey's HP EVs to Defence if you want to maximise your mixed bulk, allowing you to not die instantly to decently strong physical moves. You also might want to use some recovery; Soft-Boiled gives you instant health while Wish + Protect lets you support other bulky mons on your team. And finally, Return might be worth considering to break opposing Mantine and Chansey/Blissey by hitting them physically.

Moving a bunch of Toxapex EVs from your defensive stats to your HP allows you to maximise your bulk. I love this set, and I'll probably use it later.

Fully investing in Defense literally more than doubles Blissey's Defense. Calculations go from this:
252+ Spe Choice Scarf Ninjask U-turn vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Blissey: 909-1069 (127.3 - 149.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

To this:
252+ Atk Choice Band Ninjask U-turn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 399-471 (55.8 - 65.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Blissey and Chansey CANNOT forgo Defense EVs. With stats that low, investment makes huge changes that completely overshadows the more marginal changes that results from investing in high base stats. Unfortunately, Blissey is pretty completely eclipsed by Chansey in this metagame, who normally runs SpDef investment and makes her immensely difficult to both break and wall.

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Ok been playing quite a bit more matches and I just wanted to suggest a potential ban on Eviolite. This item really does it all for certain pokemon, providing defense and attack boosts if the stats match up properly is just insane and can often lead to gruesome scenarios where the mon is dishing out so much damage while also being quite hard to take down itself. The main abusers of this are really Dusclops, Porygon 2 and Chansey mainly (although I also saw Type-Null work too). It really just offers too much and I would like to see it banned.

Replay demonstrating this:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/dragonheaven-gen7fullpotential-21056

Rain is amazing, Floatzel is super fast (115), and can run Choice Scarf for the equivalent of 1083 attack, with Rain boosting Water attacks even further and it can only be revenged killed by priority, super bulky stuff (like Slowbro-Mega, which takes less than half) or sash/sturdy.

Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/dragonheaven-gen7fullpotential-21099
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/dragonheaven-gen7fullpotential-21103 (crit on gyara did not matter)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/dragonheaven-gen7fullpotential-21096 (poor bot lol)

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
I'm surprised there hasn't been mention of Accelgor yet. Blinding fast (and thus really strong) U-Turn, Acid Spray and Knock Off mess with Assault Vest users, powerful coverage options in Focus Blast, Sludge Bomb, and Energy Ball, and if I'm not mistaken, activating Unburden will double its power.
I'm going to mention Accelgor. Here's a set that I didn't come up with but have been running against that darn bot on Dragonsheaven.

zhoom (Accelgor) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unburden
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Knock Off / Sludge Bomb
- Water Shuriken / Sludge Bomb
- Bug Buzz / Leech Life
- Agility

The idea is to set up Agility, get knocked down to sash, then sweep. At +2 and an Unburden you hit over 1700 speed (EDIT: 1708 to be precise), making killing things that don't resist your coverage pretty easy. Evs and IVs and nature maximize your speed and minimize your bulk... while not really being needed in the attack stats, which is why there's only 252 evs. I suppose it might technically be better to invest some in spa or something in case your speed gets decreased or something, but that's kind of a weird thing to plan for.

Bug Buzz is your main STAB option, Knock Off hits special defensive titans like Regice (watch out for Regice, it was briefly mentioned on the first page and I'd like to point out that it has 200 base spd and an awesome movepool, including EXPLOSION, Earthquake, Ice Beam, and Thunderbolt), Water Shuriken pushes past opposing priority not named Extremespeed, and Sludge Bomb can hit fairies and is the best option purely from a typing standpoint.

I think there are two main sets here (just of the set-up Accelgor, I'm not going into its potential for Choice Scarf sets where I think it's mainly outclassed by Ninjask):

Agility / Bug Buzz / Knock Off / Water Shuriken or Sludge Bomb
This one utilizes Bug Buzz as the main STAB and Knock Off as the main Physical move, while it is forced to choose between Sludge Bomb and Water Shuriken for the last slot.

Agility / Leech Life / Sludge Bomb / Water Shuriken or Focus Blast or Hidden Power Ground
This one utilizes Leech Life as the main STAB, mostly because its best coverage options are all special. Sludge Bomb hits Fairy types and the last move either pushes past opposing priority or provides coverage, Hidden Power Ground providing the best but being generally weak, while Focus Blast is twice as strong but leaves you walled by both Ghost types and Poison types, meaning Dusclops among others could be problematic.

Tank and Wallbreaker (Regice) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD or 4 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Calm Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake
- Explosion / Superpower
- Thunderbolt

Set Up Sweeper (Regice) @ Focus Sash
Calm Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake
- Thunderbolt / Rock Polish
- Amnesia

Also Talonflame exists

not THAT bad (Talonflame) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- U-turn
- Brave Bird
- Flame Charge

not THAT bad (Talonflame) @ Grassium Z
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Agility
- Solar Beam
- Brave Bird

Last edited:
I'm going to mention Accelgor. Here's a set that I didn't come up with but have been running against that darn bot on Dragonsheaven.

zhoom (Accelgor) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Knock Off / Sludge Bomb
- Water Shuriken / Sludge Bomb
- Bug Buzz / Leech Life
- Agility

The idea is to set up Agility, get knocked down to sash, then sweep. At +2 and an Unburden you hit over 1700 speed (EDIT: 1708 to be precise), making killing things that don't resist your coverage pretty easy. Evs and IVs and nature maximize your speed and minimize your bulk... while not really being needed in the attack stats, which is why there's only 252 evs. I suppose it might technically be better to invest some in spa or something in case your speed gets decreased or something, but that's kind of a weird thing to plan for.

Bug Buzz is your main STAB option, Knock Off hits special defensive titans like Regice (watch out for Regice, it was briefly mentioned on the first page and I'd like to point out that it has 200 base spd and an awesome movepool, including EXPLOSION, Earthquake, Ice Beam, and Thunderbolt), Water Shuriken pushes past opposing priority not named Extremespeed, and Sludge Bomb can hit fairies and is the best option purely from a typing standpoint.

I think there are two main sets here (just of the set-up Accelgor, I'm not going into its potential for Choice Scarf sets where I think it's mainly outclassed by Ninjask):

Agility / Bug Buzz / Knock Off / Water Shuriken or Sludge Bomb
This one utilizes Bug Buzz as the main STAB and Knock Off as the main Physical move, while it is forced to choose between Sludge Bomb and Water Shuriken for the last slot.

Agility / Leech Life / Sludge Bomb / Water Shuriken or Focus Blast or Hidden Power Ground
This one utilizes Leech Life as the main STAB, mostly because its best coverage options are all special. Sludge Bomb hits Fairy types and the last move either pushes past opposing priority or provides coverage, Hidden Power Ground providing the best but being generally weak, while Focus Blast is twice as strong but leaves you walled by both Ghost types and Poison types, meaning Dusclops among others could be problematic.

Tank and Wallbreaker (Regice) @ Assault Vest
Calm Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake
- Explosion / Superpower
- Thunderbolt

Set Up Sweeper (Regice) @ Focus Sash
Calm Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake
- Thunderbolt / Rock Polish
- Amnesia

Also Talonflame exists

not THAT bad (Talonflame) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- U-turn
- Brave Bird
- Flame Charge

not THAT bad (Talonflame) @ Grassium Z
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Agility
- Solar Beam
- Brave Bird
why not gale wings on talonflame tho? even if it isn't often, +1 priority on all flying moves is always nice

Playing this sooo much. Let me give some good mons:

Tyranitar:
Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Rock Slide
- Surf

Ok, this seems to be nothing... "Why is him with EVs on Sp. Def, when his ak is better..." Simply, TTar have Sand Stream buff. With 656 SpD after Assault Vest and Sand Stream, that a monster.

Nihilego
Nihilego @ Assault Vest
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Poison Jab
- Power Gem
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Now this is getting better. Nihilego's SpD is good, with EVs more, Sand Stream, Assault Vest and Beast Boost? godly.

Doublade
Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head
- Sacred Sword

Press Iron Defense. Press Shadow Sneak. Sweep.

Cloyster
Cloyster @ Leftovers
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast

A good Spinner, strong, and defensive?

Electrode
Electrode @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Electro Ball
- Volt Switch
- Explosion
- Signal Beam

Press Electro Ball.

Kyurem-Black
Kyurem-Black @ Choice Band
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt

Kyurem-White in OU tier? thats funny

Regice
Regice @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Hammer Arm
- Earthquake

Pick a Pokémon. Press Trick Room. Switch to Regice. Sweep.

Floatzel
Floatzel @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Beam
- Crunch
- Switcheroo

Pick Pelipper. Switch to Floatzel. Enjoy your 1.000+ Speed.

Last edited:

RNGIsFatal

Banned deucer.
This Electric Terrain team is broken as hell.

Tapu Fucko (Tapu Koko) @ Terrain Extender
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Grass Knot

* Lead. Sets the whole thing for Electrode and Alolaichu.

Testicle (Electrode) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Electro Ball
- Volt Switch
- Explosion
- Hidden Power Fire

* Nuke #1.

My Ass is Long (Raichu-Alola) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Surge Surfer
Timid Nature
- Electro Ball
- Volt Switch
- Psychic
- Surf

* Nuke #2. This thing OHKOs CHANSEY with Electro Ball after Stealth Rock in Electric Terrain. I think that's enough.

Erection (Golem-Alola) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake

* Copied from previous page. Also as one of the Electric Terrain Abuser, it can trap and eliminate Steel types.

Horny (Ferrothorn) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
Relaxed Nature
- Giga Drain
- Gyro Ball
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

* Alternative lead that can set hazard.

Drown in Secretion (Araquanid) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Surf
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Ice Beam

* Bye Ground types.

I played couple games and this team was very useful, at least for me.

Tapu Koko @ Terrain Extender
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Grass Knot

Electrode @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Electro Ball
- Volt Switch
- Explosion
- Signal Beam

Raichu-Alola (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Surge Surfer
Timid Nature
- Electro Ball
- Volt Switch
- Psychic
- Surf

Golem-Alola (M) @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
Relaxed Nature
- Giga Drain
- Gyro Ball
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

Araquanid (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Surf
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Ice Beam

Last edited:

E4 Flint

-inactive in BH due corrupt leader-
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
speed is the meta. It's kinda fun spamming all these fast mons like accelgor tornadus and more. Don't know if this was made, didn't see it but wanted to share this.

Zebstrika @ Focus Sash
Ability: Motor Drive
Hasty Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Overheat
- Agility
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice] (this can be anything, haven't decided on it yet)

RNGIsFatal

Banned deucer.
speed is the meta. It's kinda fun spamming all these fast mons like accelgor tornadus and more. Don't know if this was made, didn't see it but wanted to share this.

Zebstrika @ Focus Sash
Ability: Motor Drive
Hasty Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Overheat
- Agility
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice] (this can be anything, haven't decided on it yet)
This meta requires a sh*t ton of speed;

Ninjask @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Infiltrator
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- Giga Drain
- Leech Life / Shadow Ball / Filler

Noivern @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Infiltrator
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Boomburst
- Focus Blast
- Heat Wave

anaconja

long day at job
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Some sets:
Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magician
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Serious Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Shadow Ball
- Psyshock
- Drain Punch
Finally, Hoopa-U doesn't have to run a mixed set.

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Knock Off
- Sludge Wave
- Superpower
- Thunderbolt
Thundurus-T can finally use some of its physical moves.

Slowbro-Mega @ Slowbronite
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Iron Defense
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Psyshock / Amnesia
Pretty much unbreakable. Watch out for Tapu Koko and Raichu-A, though.

Darmanitan @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Serious Nature
- Fire Blast
- Psychic
- Rock Slide
- Superpower

Diancie @ Leftovers / Assault Vest
Calm Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Rock Polish / Trick Room
- Earth Power
Diancie now doesn't have to lower its Defenses anymore, and after a boost in Defense it can become very powerful. Probably needs Trick Room support though.

Sigilyph @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Cosmic Power
- Roost
- Stored Power
- Heat Wave
Sigilyph can actually use its defense and special defense boosts now and become more of a threat.

Last edited:

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
Hello. nv and I have discussed some things, and this is the conclusion to them:

Regarding Dugtrio

Dugtrio has been banned. Its already high base 120 Speed is already threatening in standard play alongside its ability to trap grounded foes with Arena Trap; however, when Dugtrio is introduced to a metagame where it hits off of its highest calculated stat, already has a trapping ability, and now has an even higher base Attack than before with the ability to further bolster it with Choice Scarf, it is a massive threat. Just using Choice Scarf is like giving Dugtrio a pseudo Quiver Dance; however, when it gets +1 Earthquakes off of a Choice-locked base 120 "Attack" stat, it is able to take out almost anything. Dugtrio also had the ability to use coverage options in Sludge Wave, Shadow Claw, Rock Slide, Stone Edge, Sucker Punch, and more to hit almost any Pokemon for neutral coverage. Dugtrio was able to switch into Tapu Koko and Electrode that were locked into Electric-type STAB moves to render them useless and KO them. On top of that, the only way to deal with Dugtrio was by using extremely physically bulky Pokemon like Ferrothorn, priority like Water Shuriken from Accelgor and Greninja and Ice Shard from Cloyster. Even then, if the priority user wasn't running a Choice Scarf or had a Choice Scarf but didn't outspeed Dugtrio, or its access to a Speed boost wasn't triggered yet (Accelgor), Dugtrio could still outprioritize them with Sucker Punch to again render them useless. Tagging The Immortal to update the ladder.

!!IMPORTANT!!

We are sorry that there was not very much community input in this decision and are willing to revisit this option later; Dugtrio was intended to be banned before the ladder was put up, but nv ended up not being able to post in time. We know that there are other threats that are ban- or suspect-worthy, potentially even more so than this, but there is only so much that we can do at one time. We will eventually get to everything that raises concerns in this metagame to make it as balanced as possible. Speaking of which...

...Onto Araquanid

We are suspect testing Araquanid. While it might not have very decent offensive stats in standard play, Araquanid is able to invest fully in bulk and not worry about its Speed, Attack, and Special Attack at all in this metagame. It can run an EV spread of 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD with a Calm nature, as well as a spread of 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD with a Calm nature, both having Assault Vest as an item, to have 170-Base Power Liquidations and an immunity to burns from Water Bubble to KO a plethora of even resistant foes. This in itself is already very threatening, but when you factor in strong Bug-type STAB moves in Leech Life and Lunge, other Water-type options in Scald, and even coverage moves like Poison Jab, Ice Beam, and Crunch, all coming off a fully invested Assault Vest-boosted base 132 Special Defense, Araquanid has nigh-unstoppable coverage in the meta. While it does lack priority, the sheer power that Araquanid has is reason enough to be heavily prepared for it on any of your teams. With the given EV spreads, even the strongest special moves like +2 (Assault Vest + one Beast Boost) Power Gem from Nihilego cannot easily deface it.

To vote for this test, you will need 1700 Glicko with 70% GXE or higher on a new alt that has "FP WB" in it to vote. The suspect will end in two weeks from today (March 15, 2017) at 11:59 PM EST. This should be a pretty easy suspect test to ladder for. There are people on the ladder that already have this, so don't worry. Types of acceptable alts:

OKAY:

"FP WB Kris"
"Kr FP WB is"
"Kris FP WB"

NOT OKAY:

"FP Kris WB"
"WB Kris FP"
"WB Kr F is P"

Happy laddering, and thank you all for voting this as the OMotM!

Last edited:
Since Choice Scarf sweepers seem to be common in this meta, I'm wondering if something like this could be effective:

Whimsicott @ Iron Ball
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Switcheroo
- Giga Drain
- Moonblast
- Filler

It can cripple Scarf sweepers and steal their Scarf for itself, then easily survive their attack (unless it's Sludge Bomb) and usually OHKO in return. This also makes it the only Pokémon I've found (other than Meowstic, who can use virtually the same strategy but barely survives Floatzel's attack and doesn't have Giga Drain to heal itself) who can revenge kill a full health Floatzel (Assault Vest Umbreon was the best alternative I could find; its Sucker Punch has a 56% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock). And, in a pinch, it can also cripple Eviolite/Assault Vest abusers.

252+ SpA Floatzel Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Whimsicott in Rain: 171-202 (52.7 - 62.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Floatzel Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Whimsicott in Rain: 113-133 (34.8 - 41%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Floatzel Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Whimsicott: 248-294 (76.5 - 90.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Scarf Whimsicott Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Floatzel: 644-758 (172.1 - 202.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

-2 252+ SpA Ninjask Air Cutter vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Whimsicott: 158-188 (48.7 - 58%) -- 97.3% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Scarf Whimsicott Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ninjask: 409-483 (125.4 - 148.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

0 SpA Accelgor Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Whimsicott: 123-145 (37.9 - 44.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Choice Scarf Whimsicott Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Accelgor: 357-421 (98 - 115.6%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

-2 252+ SpA Electrode Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Whimsicott: 102-122 (31.4 - 37.6%) -- 89.2% chance to 3HKO
252+ SpA Choice Scarf Whimsicott Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Electrode: 283-334 (87.3 - 103%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

RNGIsFatal

Banned deucer.
Hello. nv and I have discussed some things, and this is the conclusion to them:
Regarding Dugtrio

Dugtrio has been banned. Its already high base 120 Speed is already threatening in standard play alongside its ability to trap grounded foes with Arena Trap; however, when Dugtrio is introduced to a metagame where it hits off of its highest calculated stat, already has a trapping ability, and now has an even higher base Attack than before with the ability to further bolster it with Choice Scarf, it is a massive threat. Just using Choice Scarf is like giving Dugtrio a pseudo Quiver Dance; however, when it gets +1 Earthquakes off of a Choice-locked base 120 "Attack" stat, it is able to take out almost anything. Dugtrio also had the ability to use coverage options in Sludge Wave, Shadow Claw, Rock Slide, Stone Edge, Sucker Punch, and more to hit almost any Pokemon for neutral coverage. Dugtrio was able to switch into Tapu Koko and Electrode that were locked into Electric-type STAB moves to render them useless and KO them. On top of that, the only way to deal with Dugtrio was by using extremely physically bulky Pokemon like Ferrothorn, priority like Water Shuriken from Accelgor and Greninja and Ice Shard from Cloyster. Even then, if the priority user wasn't running a Choice Scarf or had a Choice Scarf but didn't outspeed Dugtrio, or its access to a Speed boost wasn't triggered yet (Accelgor), Dugtrio could still outprioritize them with Sucker Punch to again render them useless. Tagging The Immortal to update the ladder.

We are sorry that there was not very much community input in this decision and are willing to revisit this option later; Dugtrio was intended to be banned before the ladder was put up, but nv ended up not being able to post in time. We know that there are other threats that are ban- or suspect-worthy, potentially even more so than this, but there is only so much that we can do at one time. We will eventually get to everything that raises concerns in this metagame to make it as balanced as possible. Speaking of which...
...Onto Araquanid

We are suspect testing Araquanid. While it might not have very decent offensive stats in standard play, Araquanid is able to invest fully in bulk and not worry about its Speed, Attack, and Special Attack at all in this metagame. It can run an EV spread of 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD with a Calm nature, as well as a spread of 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD with a Calm nature, both having Assault Vest as an item, to have 170-Base Power Liquidations and an immunity to burns from Water Bubble to KO a plethora of even resistant foes. This in itself is already very threatening, but when you factor in strong Bug-type STAB moves in Leech Life and Lunge, other Water-type options in Scald, and even coverage moves like Poison Jab, Ice Beam, and Crunch, all coming off a fully invested Assault Vest-boosted base 132 Special Defense, Araquanid has nigh-unstoppable coverage in the meta. While it does lack priority, the sheer power that Araquanid has is reason enough to be heavily prepared for it on any of your teams. With the given EV spreads, even the strongest special moves like +2 (Assault Vest + one Beast Boost) Power Gem from Nihilego cannot easily deface it.

To vote for this test, you will need 1700 Glicko with 70% GXE or higher on a new alt that has "FP WB" in it to vote. The suspect will end in two weeks from today (March 15, 2017) at 11:59 PM EST. This should be a pretty easy suspect test to ladder for. There are people on the ladder that already have this, so don't worry. Types of acceptable alts:

OKAY:

"FP WB Kris"
"Kr FP WB is"
"Kris FP WB"

NOT OKAY:

"FP Kris WB"
"WB Kris FP"
"WB Kr F is P"

Happy laddering, and thank you all for voting this as the OMotM!
While Araquanid has absurb power and special bulk with Assault Vest and Water Bubble, there are many factors that hamper its role:

* Entry hazards, no access to recovery outsides Leech Life
* Common Electric types that can dent or KO Araquanid (ex: Electroball from Electrode is death)
* Many checks have already been developed, including Mantine.
* It cannot switch into any physical attacks due to its relatively low defense.

It is threat in the metagame but many checks are present. Therefore, I think its drawbacks leave Araquanid balanced in this metagame.

Edit:
* Araquanid's Speed tier leaves it exposed to revenge kills very easily.
AND KRIS IT IS NOT EASY
I need like 50 games to get 1700 COIL

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since Choice Scarf sweepers seem to be common in this meta, I'm wondering if something like this could be effective:

Whimsicott @ Iron Ball
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Switcheroo
- Giga Drain
- Moonblast
- Filler

It can cripple Scarf sweepers and steal their Scarf for itself, then easily survive their attack (unless it's Sludge Bomb) and usually OHKO in return. This also makes it the only Pokémon I've found (other than Meowstic, who can use virtually the same strategy but barely survives Floatzel's attack and doesn't have Giga Drain to heal itself) who can revenge kill a full health Floatzel (Assault Vest Umbreon was the best alternative I could find; its Sucker Punch has a 56% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock). And, in a pinch, it can also cripple Eviolite/Assault Vest abusers.

252+ SpA Floatzel Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Whimsicott in Rain: 171-202 (52.7 - 62.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Floatzel Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Whimsicott in Rain: 113-133 (34.8 - 41%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Floatzel Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Whimsicott: 248-294 (76.5 - 90.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Scarf Whimsicott Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Floatzel: 644-758 (172.1 - 202.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

-2 252+ SpA Ninjask Air Cutter vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Whimsicott: 158-188 (48.7 - 58%) -- 97.3% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Scarf Whimsicott Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ninjask: 409-483 (125.4 - 148.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

0 SpA Accelgor Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Whimsicott: 123-145 (37.9 - 44.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Choice Scarf Whimsicott Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Accelgor: 357-421 (98 - 115.6%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

-2 252+ SpA Electrode Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Whimsicott: 102-122 (31.4 - 37.6%) -- 89.2% chance to 3HKO
252+ SpA Choice Scarf Whimsicott Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Electrode: 283-334 (87.3 - 103%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
Please keep in mind that we are not using regular stats for calculation. We have to calculate the overall stat and insert the appropriate value for the most accurate results. Such as we might not wanna calculate Accelgor's dmg with its Sp Atk but from its Speed.

Last edited:
Please keep in mind that we are not using regular stats for calculation. We have to calculate the overall stat and insert the appropriate value for the most accurate results. Such as we might not wanna calculate Accelgor's dmg with its Sp Atk but from its Speed.
We want to calculate damage using the highest stat. In the case of Accelgor holding an Iron Ball, its highest stat is SpA.

AND KRIS IT IS NOT EASY I need like 50 games to get 1700 COIL
I dont think you actually need 50 games. I guess you just have to try not to lose, since losing decreases Glicko a lot. You just have to win in streaks, and you can even do that in less thans 20 games.
upload_2017-3-2_19-43-53.png

Anyways I guess i'll drop some sets that might do something in the meta.
Not sure if someone posted this but:

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Power Whip / Other Stuff
- Earthquake / Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave

With Rain and Electric Types coming in popularity, Goodra could be handy in checking lots of those with its stellar SpD paired with AV.
+1 252+ SpA Electrode Electro Ball (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Goodra in Electric Terrain: 122-144 (31.7 - 37.5%) -- 88.5% chance to 3HKO

+2 252+ SpA Choice Specs Floatzel Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Goodra in Rain: 147-173 (38.2 - 45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Bastiodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy / Soundproof
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Beam / Tbolt / Flamethrower
- Rock Blast
- Iron Head

You can actually run lots of stuff in this one, especially it has a very expansive movepool. It also functions as a decent Normal/Flying resist, and checks the likes of Ninjask, due to high mixed defenses. It also got better especially that Duggy was banned(?). If reliable recovery would be an issue, wish passers like Florges pairs well with Bastiodon, and can catch some special attacks to ease pressure on it.

252+ Atk Choice Band Ninjask U-turn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Bastiodon: 54-64 (16.6 - 19.7%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ SpA Ninjask Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Bastiodon: 119-141 (36.7 - 43.5%) -- 99.4% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

This metagame seems fun although just needs to be balanced more o3o.

Reactions: nv
Fun meta. Needs a good chunk of broken stuff cleaned off though. (Read: quick bans)

Here's a pretty good araquanid counter while it's still around.

Volcanion @ Assault Vest
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Overheat
- Stone Edge
- Steam Eruption
- Sludge Wave

Doesn't care about araquanids stabs. Resists common coverage that araq carries. Has a very high SPD and thus attack. Gets lots of high BP move on both sides.

RNGIsFatal

Banned deucer.
Fun meta. Needs a good chunk of broken stuff cleaned off though. (Read: quick bans)

Here's a pretty good araquanid counter while it's still around.

Volcanion @ Assault Vest
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Overheat
- Stone Edge
- Steam Eruption
- Sludge Wave

Doesn't care about araquanids stabs. Resists common coverage that araq carries. Has a very high SPD and thus attack. Gets lots of high BP move on both sides.
Probably discussion about Araquanid itself is like discussing about whether Primals are balanced in Ubers ladder.

While this might sound a little irrelevant, the appropriate comparison can made.

* Primals have insane power in Ubers due to their absurbly high base stats and their weather-related Abilities which significantly power them. Araquanid has something better, namely Water Bubble.

* What draws Primals back and have them worn down easily in Ubers tier are lack of viable recovery and below-average speed tier. Like I mentioned in previous post, Araquanid cannot recover outsides using Rest without Assault Vest, which is entirely nonviable option. Leech Life does significantly less damage than Water type moves, and every time Araquanid is low, one has to carefully decide whether to inflict a giant damage with Water Bubble for one last time or to lengthen its longevity a little by using Leech Life. Also Araquanid has underwhelming speed, and this meta is already filled with 120+ speed tier 'mons, which means it will be revenge killed or forced out very easily by physical attackers, or even if it gets to hit back, the chance it will be able to take the second is significantly low, judging from its Defense stat.

* And this applies to every ladders, everything has its checks. I understand some banworthy features of the meta requires gimmicks to counter, but countering Araquanid does not require any gimmick sets, it can be fairly easy.

When Primals were introduced last gen, checks were already there:

* Primal Groudon's Counters: Arceus Water / Ground, Mega Salamence, and Primal Kyogre (weather)
* Primal Kyogre's Counters: Ferrothorn, Palkia & Dialga (both can carry Thunder and resist Water),Thunderus-Therian (arguably?), Latios / Latias (when Soul Dew wasn't nerfed), Shedinja (?) and Primal Groudon (weather)

Araquanid already has tons of counters. Volcanion set above is an excellent example for countering Araquanid, rendering Water Bubble completely useless and takes halved damage from Leech Life.

* Araquanid's Counters: Mantine, Volcanion, Electro Ball, All physical attackers, etc.

I understand Water Bubble + Assault Vest + FP Liquidation is something that hurts a lot, but Araquanid can only fulfill its role if it has been safely switched into something it can counter. What makes it very powerful is its ability severely dent almost anything even its switch-in's, thanks to its ability Water Bubble which is basically Tinted Lens that works on non-resists.

Kris brought this topic well, it has been arguable issue. But I would not agree on banning unless some extreme augumentation of Araquanid is visible. (If, Araquanid can switch in whenever it wants and can spam attacks without consequences of misprediction or had absurdly high speed tier.)

Last edited:
Hey Guys, kinda new to this meta. My PS name is BackroundMusic and i am (currently) 19th on the FP ladder. Anyways, the set that has worked the best for me is this-

Regigigas @ Assault Vest
Ability: Slow Start
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Drain Punch
- Thunderbolt
- Knock Off /Eq
- Frustration

It's a better Regigigas. Slow start doesn't matter at ALL anymore. It one shots ttars, 2 shots, Carbinks with an Eq, and Thunderbolt is just for those pesky little Slowbro Megas. It does 98% to them and is sometimes unpredictable. Return Is for powerful STAB and mostly just for a last resort. Hope this set gets used later on!

Just a thought, but Unburden might be a bit too powerful. Hawlucha can sky attack, and suddenly have at max 656 general attacking stat with also being near impossible to outspeed. I'm not sure about other unburden users, but it might be something worth looking into.

I just want to highlight the huge potential trick room can have in this metagame. Because of the fact that you can double up your defensive EVs as offensive EVs, slow, bulky attackers are definitely the best option in this meta. Here is a quick team that I built which could outline what a trick room team would look like and also so I can claim of these sets as mine before anyone else posts them. :^)
Dusclops @ Eviolite
Ability: Pressure
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Pain Split
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Fire Blast

Regice @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Hammer Arm
- Earthquake

Steelix @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Ancient Power

Slowbro-Mega @ Slowbronite
Ability: Shell Armor
Relaxed Nature
- Slack Off
- Trick Room
- Scald
- Psychic

Cresselia @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Ice Beam

As you can tell these mons are extremely bulky and extremely powerful at the same time. Most of them such as AV tyranitar can outright OHKO most non-defense invested mons, and with the aid of trick room, speed is not a problem. Even outside of trick room these mons are very bulky and so even the most powerful of threats will struggle to even 2hko them.
i would like to thank you for this busted team. legit destroyed people with it. it struggles a bit vs tapu koko and rain+ electricity especially fairy+electric coverage, but its great

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)