Gen VII: Pokemon Sun and Moon Discussion MKII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like how we go crazy about HM01 being Work Up, but what I find interesting is that the article claims there are only 7 Trials. Meaning we know over half of the captains already, and at least what one of the trial challenges is all about.

I like how we go crazy about HM01 being Work Up, but what I find interesting is that the article claims there are only 7 Trials. Meaning we know over half of the captains already, and at least what one of the trial challenges is all about.
7 trials per island.

So, I just read a French preview which I think gave a little too much away. Here's what I found notable.

- At the beginning of the game, before you get a pokemon, a bridge you're on collapses, but you're saved by Tapu Koto. A character tells you at some point that this is the sign that your future is one of a great trainer.
- Lillie gives you a mysterious stone just after the incident.
- There are 7 Island Trials in total.

Speaking of, according to IGN (a site we KNOW will give Sun/Moon a 7.8/10 for too much water) some of the NPCs mention that the Island Trials "were a trial of sorts where you compete to become a champion."

I'm curious to see what you guys think of this (Sorry if it's already been posted, but I searched for any evidence of this on Smogon/ this thread for 30 mins and could not find anything). Apparently some people think that Gamefreak is removing Triple and Rotation battles: https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/187276-pokemon-sun/74373295?page=0

The only evidence I can find for this is here under the Battle Spot header: http://serebii.net/sunmoon/globallink.shtml

Notice how Triples and Rotation battles are not listed as Battle Spot options. There could be several reasons for this. 1, trips and rotation are on BS, but simply haven't been leaked yet. 2, trips and rotation are in the game but not on BS (You can do Friendly Competitions and Online Battles that feature trips or rotation, but not BS). 3, trips and rotation have been removed from the game entirely (and hopefully sky battles too). Seeing as they introduced Battle Royal, and yet it is not listed, I am inclined to believe option 1. I think it would be silly for them not to have BRoyal on BSpot. Therefore, the fact that it's not mentioned makes me think that all of the battles modes will return and will be included on BS.

It's not that difficult to understand.

TM exists no more. Now, all of them are called HM. HM 01 is Work Up as if it was Rock Slide, it doesn't matter. Of course, forgetting HMs wouldn't require a Move Deleter.
Except it never once said in the article that TMs are gone. Not saying they aren't, but nothing in the article outright said they were gone.
Speaking of, according to IGN (a site we KNOW will give Sun/Moon a 7.8/10 for too much water) some of the NPCs mention that the Island Trials "were a trial of sorts where you compete to become a champion."
I'm pretty sure that the goal to become champion was already confirmed long ago? I swear in one of the earlier videos, someone specifically said we were doing the trails to become island champion.

I'm pretty sure that the goal to become champion was already confirmed long ago? I swear in one of the earlier videos, someone specifically said we were doing the trails to become island champion.
I think back then it wasn't implied that you would be Champion in the traditional sense though. These previews make it seem more like the Island Trials are a flavorful spin on the more traditional Pokemon League Challenge.

Do we have any confirmation of TM's returning? Without the out of battle effects there's little reason to distinguish them from HM's. Could be all TM's are now HMs ?

I'm curious to see what you guys think of this (Sorry if it's already been posted, but I searched for any evidence of this on Smogon/ this thread for 30 mins and could not find anything). Apparently some people think that Gamefreak is removing Triple and Rotation battles: https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/187276-pokemon-sun/74373295?page=0

The only evidence I can find for this is here under the Battle Spot header: http://serebii.net/sunmoon/globallink.shtml

Notice how Triples and Rotation battles are not listed as Battle Spot options. There could be several reasons for this. 1, trips and rotation are on BS, but simply haven't been leaked yet. 2, trips and rotation are in the game but not on BS (You can do Friendly Competitions and Online Battles that feature trips or rotation, but not BS). 3, trips and rotation have been removed from the game entirely (and hopefully sky battles too). Seeing as they introduced Battle Royal, and yet it is not listed, I am inclined to believe option 1. I think it would be silly for them not to have BRoyal on BSpot. Therefore, the fact that it's not mentioned makes me think that all of the battles modes will return and will be included on BS.
I don't know about Rotation, but Triples has quite some fans in Battle Spot. It is actually very popular in ranked matches. I seriously doubt anything other than 1. Especially since Triples is very fun to play compared to Singles with so many possibilities and combinations.

Here's my theory on the HM kerfluffle: HMs = TMs now. It makes since given that most of the HMs you find are sprawled out over the overworld,aka Hidden. Sadly, it seems the reviewers never thought to put Work Up on a pokemon and then then try to delete it, but I think the existence of Pokeride already backs up my claim anyway.

Where does it say that?

Quote from the article:
http://i.imgur.com/LGVfgMG.png
MOD EDIT: Replaced the 4chan image link in your post to an imgur one since 4Chan links eventually expire.

Here's my theory on the HM kerfluffle: HMs = TMs now. It makes since given that most of the HMs you find are sprawled out over the overworld,aka Hidden. Sadly, it seems the reviewers never thought to put Work Up on a pokemon and then then try to delete it, but I think the existence of Pokeride already backs up my claim anyway.
Of course it's that way, it's the most obvious answer. TMs are gone, all of them are now renamed as HMs. That's why a move like Work Up is the HM 01 now, they don't need an external effect anymore to be HMs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
That'd be a pretty massive convenience, provided they prevent healing with the PC on the fly to avoid it being almost game breakingly good in game.
They could take another page out of yokai watch's book and give you read-only PC access at all times, but require you to be at a physical PC to swap pokemon around.

Okay, so remember how a leaker mentioned a cat that could change its typing once it evolved? What if Type: Null is that cat, even if it's not quite a feline creature?

Anyway, it seems that HMs could simply be the name for TMs at this point.

Okay, so remember how a leaker mentioned a cat that could change its typing once it evolved? What if Type: Null is that cat, even if it's not quite a feline creature?

Anyway, it seems that HMs could simply be the name for TMs at this point.
It is an interesting coincidence, but it said that the cat's evolution's Typing was dependent on it's Father. I.e. Breed it with an arcanine then the evolved form would be Fire-Type permanently.

Also i belive that one was discredited.

I like the idea that HM's would be removed/ toned down. With the addition of PokeRide, it seems most rides could replace HM's. Alternatively, I've always been a fan of the idea to still have the HM moves, such as cut, surf, fly, etc... but to make them TM's instead, like they did with Flash. Mostly, I just want them to remove the HM clause were you can't delete them easily to learn a new move, thus forcing you to see the Move Deleter.
And then 8 years olds lose interest when they get stuck on an island and have their Pokémon forget surf.

I saw the recent Chinese leak, and a person here questioned why Type:Null is said to have only one stage in its line, which isn't the case with the rumors surrounding its evolution. Since it lists Charjabug seperate from Grubbin even if they're part of the same line due to the fact that only two members of the Grubbin line have the Electric subtype, what if Type:Null's supposed evolution isn't Normal-type by default? Or maybe it's not included in that chart. I don't know.

Alola Grimer looks even derpier than regular Grimer with those teeth and yellow thing surrounding its mouth. Wonder what its evolution (Alola Muk) will look like. Jang-mo'o's evolution being part Fighting sounds really cool actually, as we've never seen that typing before, and Type:Null getting an evolution is peculiar. Just imagine a thing like Type:Null being Little Cup eligible. Its weird.

http://i.imgur.com/LGVfgMG.png
MOD EDIT: Replaced the 4chan image link in your post to an imgur one since 4Chan links eventually expire.

Of course it's that way, it's the most obvious answer. TMs are gone, all of them are now renamed as HMs. That's why a move like Work Up is the HM 01 now, they don't need an external effect anymore to be HMs.
Yeah, reading the Spanish part, it says you have to go through 7 trials in each one of the 4 islands, and when you beat the 7 trials you can fight the Kahuna to become Island Champion.

That means 28 trials (see, I know my math), which makes for a longer game than 8 badges and 5 Elite Battles.

Assuming the trials actually take longer than gyms or moving through routes. In terms of pace I just hated how XY basically had a pretty drawn out but enjoyable first 2-3 badges (hell the guy with the tyrunt almost killed me, first and last time the game fought back unfortunately) but then it's just a badge every 30 minutes from that point on aside from the very minor diversion team flare causes. Hopefully the trials will provide a more consistent pace.

It is an interesting coincidence, but it said that the cat's evolution's Typing was dependent on it's Father. I.e. Breed it with an arcanine then the evolved form would be Fire-Type permanently.

Also i belive that one was discredited.
But that is the leak that predicted Oricorio and Alola forms in the first place so you never know...person. I would have said dude, but I don't want to trigger you.

Assuming the trials actually take longer than gyms or moving through routes. In terms of pace I just hated how XY basically had a pretty drawn out but enjoyable first 2-3 badges (hell the guy with the tyrunt almost killed me, first and last time the game fought back unfortunately) but then it's just a badge every 30 minutes from that point on aside from the very minor diversion team flare causes. Hopefully the trials will provide a more consistent pace.
I expect a lot of diversion due to a combo of; Team Aether, Skull, and ultra beats

I expect a lot of diversion due to a combo of; Team Aether, Skull, and ultra beats
Well that, and the fact that the trials seem to have more to them than battling. Like for Mallow, you have to find ingredients for her. I imagine that each of the seven island challenges come with their own quests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)