Gen VII: Pokemon Sun and Moon Discussion MKII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Megastores are available for purchase for 64 bp. This isn't commentary on Megas being in the game, but rather that they're effectively locked out to the casual masses unless BP can be gained outside of the battle facility. 64 ain't cheap and we can't assume every kid whose favourite Pokemon is Gengar or Alakazam has access to Bank for easy points. Thought it was interesting how they're handling those. (Not that all of them will be gained the same way, of course.)
Well some Mega Stones are going to be given to you so you can use those Mega Pokemon. Also Z-Moves are shown over and over again to be powerful enough to knock out an opponent in one hit so there's that (and you can have a Mega Pokemon and a Pokemon with Z-Move ready). Even if you can't go through an entire streak you'll win enough to get a handful of points each attempt.

I'm genuinely curious as to how they'll handle Parental Bond. It definitely caught some attention from the Pokemon Company after its run in VGC '14 and '15. (And even '16 as a semi-supporter.)
The only way I can see them nerfing Parental Bond is having the second attack not having the secondary effect, it only does half damage.

Am I the only one that is struggling to see a linear progression from the starters middle stages, which I fucking adore, to the leaked final stages? Adding new elements is always apart of such evolutions, but removing elements / replacing them / drastically moving them doesn't seem to quite fit. E.g. it doesn't really make sense for Litten's sack to move to its stomach, also, Datrix --> leaked rowlet final evo does not seem like a clear progression.

I really hope to God that either 1) the final starter evo leaks are not true or have been modified [seems unlikely since the riddler appeared to confirm they were true in his pokedex, although he could perhaps be leading us on, albeit unlikely] or 2) that the starters really do have split forms, because I need torrocat to stay Bidepal, need.

Edit: And I actually really like Brionne, just because its femine doesn't mean its inherently bad, infact its cute as fuck yall

2nd Edit: Im not denying the leaks, they are real, just doesn't seem like a clear progression in the starters evolutions [to me]
Yeah, concept wise it works, but design is a bit of a jump.

Am I the only one that is struggling to see a linear progression from the starters middle stages, which I fucking adore, to the leaked final stages? Adding new elements is always apart of such evolutions, but removing elements / replacing them / drastically moving them doesn't seem to quite fit. E.g. it doesn't really make sense for Litten's sack to move to its stomach, also, Datrix --> leaked rowlet final evo does not seem like a clear progression.

I really hope to God that either 1) the final starter evo leaks are not true or have been modified [seems unlikely since the riddler appeared to confirm they were true in his pokedex, although he could perhaps be leading us on, albeit unlikely] or 2) that the starters really do have split forms, because I need torrocat to stay Bidepal, need.

Edit: And I actually really like Brionne, just because its femine doesn't mean its inherently bad, infact its cute as fuck yall

2nd Edit: Im not denying the leaks, they are real, just doesn't seem like a clear progression in the starters evolutions [to me]
Does this help?

The new starter evolutions seem to strongly suggest that the final starter leaks will be true - if anything I think Brionne confirms it alone by showing a clear direction where that evolutionary line is headed. I also feel like Brionne would strongly suggest that there won't be any split evolutionary lines for the starters like Rockruff just based on how distinctly feminine it is like the evolution - I guess I'd figure if there were going to be split evolutions then Popplio would have had one less feminine.

Brionne thus makes me a little sad because even though it and the final evolution are good designs, I really loved Popplio and they're so "not Popplio". Torracat is great and while the final evolution is an acceptable design, it makes me sad that they could have done something so much better with it and finally given us our first quadruped fire starter! I'm certainly not dissatisfied with any of these reveals but I think they had the potential to do better with the final designs. That said, nothing bad to say about any of Rowlett's line! Yay emo hair owl!

The new features they've shown and stuff in the past really has me excited about how much content they're shoving into this game. QR code teams for the lazy? Alright! Lots of wacky side missions and extras, including ones that utilize box Pokemon? Alright! Missions with friends? Time to find some friends!

Mega evolutions confirmed late in the game - I have mixed feelings about their existence to begin with but with everything they've introduced so far in regards to new abilities and forms and this and that, I'll be excited for a generation that might revolve a bit less around them (including VGC, in which they are prohibited from. Sorry Mega Audino, maybe 2018 will be your time to shine). Ash Greninja only has me excited for the possibility of extending that mechanic to other Pokemon, but if it's not hopefully they have some good explanation for its existence in the games besides fan service.

Most importantly, ice stone. Is it truly a naturally occurring aggregate of one or more minerals or just a hunk of magic ice? Asking the hard questions here.

Starter evos: Sincerely, I don't like Dartrix. His design says "Look at me! I'm so pretty" and I generally don't like characters like that. Torracat was, well, meh. Brionne is making me regret wanting the Water starter. It doesn't look good in my opinion.

Festival Plaza: Well, I guess this is where I'll be spending my time. Hopefully the minigames will be fun/worth it.

Poké Pelago: I don't know how well it will work for me, since I organize my boxes by type. Maybe I'll have rotate my boxes a lot to get everything. The mining island sounds like something I would like to exploit since I always hated how rare the evolution stones are.

Ash-Greninja: Just, why??? At least it's only Greninja. Just try to imagine Ash-*insert starter you hate*. The other thing thing I hate about it is that there's a good chance this will be Greninja's Final Smash in the next SSB.

About anime things appearing in the games: Remember, this is not the first time this has happened. The first time they did was with a version mascot. So I expect this kind of things to keep happening in the future.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
corocoro leaks in like a week

wonder what we'll get
Really! It's been less that 10 hours and you're already wanting the next spoilers? These were some amazing spoilers too!

Edit: Can we have new spoilers so that people stop talking about Brionne? Between my constant misreading it as Bronie and my hatred of a certain franchise...

Last edited:
man everybody is comparing dartrix to some pompous boy or arin from gamegrumps but I see Dimentio from Super Paper Mario.

I think my Paper Mario theme team is complete.

So they said there's gonna be a demo, but all I'm hearing is datamining. Would be cool if we could get all the stats early and play the game on showdown like with ORAS.

Out of all the starter evolutions I think I like Torracat the best. The others are okay, although Brionne's kinda weird looking. I don't hate it but think it's the ears that get me. Still leaning team Popplio, but I'm also still waiting for the possible version exclusive final evolutions.

Ash-Greninja is bleh. Never really liked its design much, but I didn't really mind it before cause it was an anime exclusive thing and I don't watch the anime much anyway. Seems to have a new ability that allows it to transform so I'm guess it's gonna get some stat boosts. Will be funny if Protean still ends up being the better ability.

The new VGC stuff is really cool. I was already more interested in VGC when they revealed the bottle caps, cause obtaining pokemon has always been the main reason I never bothered with VGC. Now apparently you can rent pokemon to use too? That's sick it'll be great to practice and get familiar with the format without having to think about whether or not my losses come from my team being trash, or me being trash. Now I'll know it's me 100%. I like the new ruleset too, the chess timer is interesting. I guess they recognized that timeouts were happening a bit too much and that they're kinda lame. Not knocking people who go for the time out, (a win is a win) but they're really unsatisfying from a spectator perspective. At first glance though I feel like 10 mins total might not be enough time, but what do I know? I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out.

Hm, my thoughts

Dartrix: Ok, I can't help but laugh when I see this thing. I'm not sure if it's Matt Smith or Virion.
Torracat: I like this thing. Now I just hope the 3rd evo thing is fake.
Brionne: 'Tis adorable. I'm getting either this one or the grass one
Festival Plaza: JOIN AVENUE RETURNS!!! YEEEEEEESSS!!!
Poke Pelago: Hey, my pokemon in my PC actually get to do stuff now. That's pretty good.
Mega Evolution: Say goodbye, game balance, provided the mega the game hands us is a broken one.
Perfect Synchro er Hub Style er Ash-Greninja: I'm sorry, but it better be one hell of a power boost if you expect people to use this over Protean Greninja. Like, it better actually be comparable to Hub Style/HubBatch in terms of boosts.

I kind of like Brionne; i just can't shake the thought that if I hadn't seen Popplio first, I'd be convinced Brionne was the Basic stage for the water starter.

Reactions: Mq
I kind of like Brionne; i just can't shake the thought that if I hadn't seen Popplio first, I'd be convinced Brionne was the Basic stage for the water starter.
Well technically they still hold a theme.

They are wind instruments, horn is a theme that Popplio and Brione seem to have if you look at the nose first.

Sadly the Poketubers went full retard and augmented the idea of a clown theme/circus based starters on the early stages of SM announcement.

Popplio, Brione and Popplio3 share a musical performer theme with a Horn, a frill horn and an hydrokynetic mermaid Idol, I'm trying to see if there is a wind instrument that fits Popplio3 body though.

Well technically they still hold a theme.

They are wind instruments, horn is a theme that Popplio and Brione seem to have if you look at the nose first.

Sadly the Poketubers went full retard and augmented the idea of a clown theme/circus based starters on the early stages of SM announcement.

Popplio, Brione and Popplio3 share a musical performer theme with a Horn, a frill horn and an hydrokynetic mermaid Idol, I'm trying to see if there is a wind instrument that fits Popplio3 body though.
What is a frill horn?
They're certainly all performers, though not all of them are directly musical. Popplio is a circus seal that balances balls on its nose (which is where the circus theme came from - and then people decided that Litten could evolve into the topcat that jumps through hoops, and Rowlet could be some kind of ringmaster/MC), Brionne is a loli pop idol(/dancer?), and Popplio_3 is a mermaid/diva.
But what I meant was if Game Freak had removed Popplio and added a new middle stage, I am certain that Brionne could have taken its place as the basic starter stage, and no one would think that it looks out of place with the other basic starters (I wouldn't have), whereas you take any other middle stage starter form, and it looks like a middle stage and totally out of place with the basic forms of its counterparts.

What is a frill horn?
They're certainly all performers, though not all of them are directly musical. Popplio is a circus seal that balances balls on its nose (which is where the circus theme came from - and then people decided that Litten could evolve into the topcat that jumps through hoops, and Rowlet could be some kind of ringmaster/MC), Brionne is a loli pop idol(/dancer?), and Popplio_3 is a mermaid/diva.
But what I meant was if Game Freak had removed Popplio and added a new middle stage, I am certain that Brionne could have taken its place as the basic starter stage, and no one would think that it looks out of place with the other basic starters (I wouldn't have), whereas you take any other middle stage starter form, and it looks like a middle stage and totally out of place with the basic forms of its counterparts.
Frill horn as a horn with a frill dress.

This is a pump horn, Popplio face and frills seem to be heavily inspired by this.

Brione is an Idol using one of those popular frill dresses, it still retains some of the traits of the pump horn as the nose and face decend on the frills.

Popplio3 is an Idol with a hairstyle that appears to be made of water instead of fur, I wouldn't call it a diva at all since that would be pushing context into a primary Japanese game, an Idol fits this theme harder than a Diva especially with Brione perpetual smile face hinting the social pressures that come with being a female Idol on Japan.

However Popplio3 loses the big nose and cone like structure of Popplio and Brione making him rather hard to associate with a pump horn, this is why I'm trying to find a musical instrument that fits Popplio3, so far only the bagpipes seem to fit the body type.

I saw the Horn immediately on Popplio reveal, but within few hours the Poketubers made everyone believe in the circus theme and Kefka Popplio.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
So since you can transfer Ash Greninja to your full game, could you actually be able to start the game with a Level 36 or some shit Ash-Greninja? Or would they just make it like a Froakie that evolves into Battle Bond Grenny later on?

So since you can transfer Ash Greninja to your full game, could you actually be able to start the game with a Level 36 or some shit Ash-Greninja? Or would they just make it like a Froakie that evolves into Battle Bond Grenny later on?
I guess it would be an Ash-Greninja from the start.

And it wouldn't be the first time you get a Pokemon that drastically overpowers the early parts of the game. Right, Speed Boost Torchic? Right, Liberty Island Victini? Right, Pokewalker Pokemon? Right, Goldenrod Game Corner Dratini?

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I guess it would be an Ash-Greninja from the start.

And it wouldn't be the first time you get a Pokemon that drastically overpowers the early parts of the game. Right, Speed Boost Torchic? Right, Liberty Island Victini? Right, Pokewalker Pokemon? Right, Goldenrod Game Corner Dratini?
Dratini comes late enough that I don't think Dragon Rage murders anything more effectively than the starter, plus you still need to work for it.

Frill horn as a horn with a frill dress.
This is a pump horn, Popplio face and frills seem to be heavily inspired by this.

Brione is an Idol using one of those popular frill dresses, it still retains some of the traits of the pump horn as the nose and face decend on the frills.

Popplio3 is an Idol with a hairstyle that appears to be made of water instead of fur, I wouldn't call it a diva at all since that would be pushing context into a primary Japanese game, an Idol fits this theme harder than a Diva especially with Brione perpetual smile face hinting the social pressures that come with being a female Idol on Japan.

However Popplio3 loses the big nose and cone like structure of Popplio and Brione making him rather hard to associate with a pump horn, this is why I'm trying to find a musical instrument that fits Popplio3, so far only the bagpipes seem to fit the body type.

I saw the Horn immediately on Popplio reveal, but within few hours the Poketubers made everyone believe in the circus theme and Kefka Popplio.
I could see its nose as a pump horn, but listing frill horn made me think you meant as its own concept - not as, you know a horn with frilly bits on it. But the circus seal isn't just because Poketubers made everyone think it. Official artwork has it balancing on balls of water, and balancing balls of water on its nose - like a seal would do performing in a circus.

A diva is defined as a female singer of popular music or as an opera singer. Some idols are divas. And there's no pushing context as far as it being a Japanese game. Not only are divas currently ubiquitous, Pokemon is a worldly game, drawing inspiration from all cultures.

What is a kefka popplio?

I presume it would be similar to the Steelix/Glailie situation in ORAS. And as others have mentioned, it's not the first time gamefreak has done this.

I could see its nose as a pump horn, but listing frill horn made me think you meant as its own concept - not as, you know a horn with frilly bits on it. But the circus seal isn't just because Poketubers made everyone think it. Official artwork has it balancing on balls of water, and balancing balls of water on its nose - like a seal would do performing in a circus.

A diva is defined as a female singer of popular music or as an opera singer. Some idols are divas. And there's no pushing context as far as it being a Japanese game. Not only are divas currently ubiquitous, Pokemon is a worldly game, drawing inspiration from all cultures.

What is a kefka popplio?
Kefka Popplio is what it references, a Popplio photoshoped on top of an image if ff6 Kefka. People went really crazy with the circus theme on this guy and ring master Rowlett m

I'm still liking all the Pokémon. And I love Torracat a lot. The final leaked evo being a fire/dark wrestler will be so awesome.

I'm in love also with the emo Robin Hood.

And the Mako Mermaid is kinda cute as well.

Nice to see a VGC meta without Kanga and Smeargle. Z Moves will abound, obviously, but things will be nicer, I think. I'm so hyped for this game that I'll probably spend the night awaken playing the demo when it comes around.

About the overpowered Ash-Greninja, I doubt a level 36 Pokémon will obey a puny trainer at the beginning of their journey. That said, I'm kinda interested to know how they'll do for Pokémon to obey you, since we won't have the badges anymore. They give us the power to control higher leveled Pokémon, but without them, how will the Pokémon know we are worthy of their respect. I can't see them removing it completely, since it would break the spirit of the game completely if you could just transfer (when Bank is up again) a level 100 Mewtwo and solo the game with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)