SPOILERS! General Pokémon Anime Discussion

KaenSoul

Shared:Power Little Knight
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
Lance spamming Hyper Beam like a real gen 1 player, too bad Dragonite had Body Press instead of Body Slam.
I wonder if we will finally see a Dyna/Gigantamax mon beating a mega next round, or Charizard will return to normal first, as the anime writers just don't want big mons to look cool.

With that, Diantha emerged victorious, as I predicted a while back, which means Diantha advances to the semifinals and is Leon's opponent, officially deeming the first match of the semifinals as Leon vs. Diantha. A battle between two strategical battlers, this will be an interesting match to see, especially since both evidently prepare for their opponents beforehand. Diantha is also an actress and sees her battles as performances, so Leon looks forward to performing alongside her.
After Alain, I will believe this only when I see it.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
After Alain, I will believe this only when I see it.
Putting aside my usual "Talk about today's episode like a narrator" talk aside, I totally understand feeling this way, especially after how easily Alain was put down. I do feel like Diantha will put up a better fight against him than Alain considering the former has more strategical thinking going for her (whereas Alain just tries to use brute force and bulldoze his opponents with sheer power), even though there's no doubt that Diantha will lose to Leon in my eyes. Plus I also imagine Leon vs. Diantha will have an entire episode dedicated to it while Leon vs. Alain had like 10 minutes at most: the Alain match really suffered from being only half an episode long so they evidently rushed the battle. So if nothing else I really do hope we get a better match with these two this time around than the total annihilation Leon brought to Alain.

Putting my personal wishes into the picture, I really do want Diantha to put up a decent fight against Leon, even if she'll obviously lose to him. Not just because she deserves to do so, but it'll rub even more salt in the wound for the overzealous Alain fans. Many Alain fans right now are extremely upset about him getting totally annihilated by Leon, if Diantha puts up a better fight against Leon than him, then that'll rub even more salt in the wound for them which would be amusing to see. Especially after many Alain fans have been insinuating for years that Diantha isn't a strong Champion and that Alain is stronger than her...well they certainly won't have a right to say that anymore if Diantha puts up a better fight against the unbeatable Champion than Alain did :psysly:

Granted I do 100% expect Leon to win against Diantha, since his whole schtick is that he's undefeatable and as such the stakes will be pretty high when Ash makes it to the finals and battles him as his final opponent for the match. I don't imagine the Leon vs. Diantha match will be as high-stakes as say, Ash vs. Cynthia as the other semifinals match since Leon is the unbeatable Champion and the opponent that Ash is aiming to surpass while Ash is the rising star and underdog of the Masters 8 who is aiming to prove his worth to become the best battler in the world, so Ash's matches will undoubtedly be more high-stakes than Leon's in my eyes. But I do hope it'll be a fun battle to watch, and I am rooting for Diantha to do a better job against him than Alain personally.

The eye-rolling part to me is how poorly thought through Leon's win was. Imagine if he beat Alain without even using his Charizard, both to avoid the memetic "Normal Zard > Mega Zard" issue, and because it would highlight "he won that well and didn't even use his ace". I also don't think Diantha faring better against Leon strictly proves anything because a character just having more brute force is a much shakier ground for comparison since that's easily modulated for what the writers want at the moment (see how Pikachu's performance fluctuated every new region and even compared to Ash's other teammates within some regions). I would have to actually watch Diantha vs Alain for me to put down a "who would win" debate rather than extrapolating there.

The thing that's irritating me so far as of late is that the anime is essentially validating a lot of the accusations of blatant and unwarranted character-shilling that Leon gets, which I actually did find untrue or at least very exaggerated in how he was handled in SwSh, for all my other contentions with the game story. From a writing standpoint Leon feels like the most sloppily handled Champion character who was Champion during the majority of their tenure (Iris has been generally received alright since her Champion time despite rocky time in BW)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
With that, Diantha emerged victorious, as I predicted a while back, which means Diantha advances to the semifinals and is Leon's opponent, officially deeming the first match of the semifinals as Leon vs. Diantha. A battle between two strategical battlers, this will be an interesting match to see, especially since both evidently prepare for their opponents beforehand.
... Wait, Leon is considered a strategic battler? More strategic compared to Alain? Leon felt like a "might makes right" battler with his Charizard being his irresistible force (serving as both a spear/unstoppable force and sword/immovable object). Heck, in the Alain battle he didn't even bother sending out his third Pokemon, as soon as he saw Alain send out his Charizard he went right for his and swept through the rest of Alain's team through sheer force.

Many Alain fans right now are extremely upset about him getting totally annihilated by Leon, if Diantha puts up a better fight against Leon than him, then that'll rub even more salt in the wound for them which would be amusing to see. Especially after many Alain fans have been insinuating for years that Diantha isn't a strong Champion and that Alain is stronger than her...well they certainly won't have a right to say that anymore if Diantha puts up a better fight against the unbeatable Champion than Alain did :psysly:
Two things:
  1. Alain had fans? I thought he was almost as hated as Tobias.

2. We never really saw Diantha battle... we never saw Diantha do ANYTHING. For anyone to say how strong Diantha is up till this episode would have no leg to stand on and just be assuming since Diantha does nothing that means she's somehow not a good battler? It's also forgetting she's CHAMPION, and we've seen from other time Champions have battled like Cynthia and Alder that their Pokemon are super hard to faze even when it looks like their opponent caught them in a trap.
I don't know how Diantha's battle with Leon is going to go aside Leon is going to win. I think Diantha beating Lance has already shown she is a strong Champion (then again Lance is beginning to feel like Champion fodder at this point... BTW Lance why did you bring a Pokemon that was DOUBLE weak against Dinatha's ace? Would have made more sense if he sent out like a Dragalge or Salazzle (which is in the Dragon Egg Group)). Being the reason Leon sent out his Charizard early is because he wanted to mirror match against Alain's Charizard, since Diantha doesn't have one we may see Leon send out his other two Pokemon first which should give Diantha a better chance on lasting longer than Alain.

Anyway, if I were to add in something else, I'm enjoying the cameo of other characters they're giving us! With Leon vs Alain they had Sycamore and Mairin watching the match from Sycamore's Lab.

With Lance vs. Diantha they showed Ritchie, Jimmy, Marina, Jackson/Vincent, Shauna, Trevor, Tierno, & Sawyer.

Makes me curious who'll cameo for the other Champions:

• Cynthia: Dawn would be an obvious choice, as well as grandmother. Though if they're focusing on notable trainers guess they could also show Paul, Barry, Conway, Nando, and Tobias.

• Iris: Drayden of course, and would also be a good opportunity to also show Cilan. Could also show Alder, Bianca, and maybe even Georgia. Not sure about anyone else (does the Village of Dragons even get TV transmission, if so the Elder and Shannon. Not sure if they would show Burgundy, Trip, or any of the notable Unova League trainers (Virgil & Cameron) as they're not really that connected with Iris.

• Steven: They never really told us much about Steven in the anime so anyone they show would probably be more for the game player. Like, they could show his father Mr. Stone and Wallace. Then there's the notable Hoenn League trainers Morrison & Tyson (and if they show them also show Harrison as they didn't with the Johto trainers).

• Ash: After a shot Delia and Professor Oak (along with Tracey) we'll obviously go through his travelling companions (even if they showed up for a previous Champion): Misty, Brock, May, Max, Dawn, Iris (either from the TV downstairs or decides to watch along with Goh and Hop), Cilan, Serena, Clemont, Bonnie, Kiawe, Lana, Mallow, Sophocles, Kukui (with Burnet, Lei, and Rotom Dex), Lillie, and Gladion. Not sure if they'll show some of Ash rivals (Gary, Paul, Trip, and maybe have the notable League trainers here), maybe save them for Ash's preliminary match.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
Today in Journeys, the third match of the first round of the Masters Tournament! Today's match is none other than Iris vs. Cynthia!

It's Iris's Excadrill, Dragonite, and Haxorus up against Cynthia's Gastrodon, Milotic, and (Mega) Garchomp! Iris takes the offense, and with Excadrill vs. Gastrodon we see Cynthia pulling strategy with Rain Dance to boost the power of its Muddy Water, and Acid Armor to sponge blows against Excadrill's physical attacks. It comes to a point where Iris pulls an OHKO move, Horn Drill, to secure a clean KO on Gastrodon. Unfortunately, Cynthia's Milotic steps in and makes quick work of Excadrill, and then manages to defeat Dragonite despite taking a Thunder Punch, using Disarming Voice for a super effective hit and then binding it and going for the KO with Iron Head up close. Iris pulls her ace, Haxorus, and manages to defeat Milotic with Breaking Swipe, which then leaves Cynthia with her Garchomp. The two exchange blows with Haxorus and Garchomp engaging in a close brawl, and then Cynthia unleashes Mega Evolution and uses Mega Garchomp. Despite them continuing an exchange of blows with Psycho Cut and Dragon Claw, Mega Garchomp goes for the finish with Draco Meteor, which Haxorus retaliates with a Dragon Pulse, with maximum power from Iris's connection of hearts to it. Unfortunately, Haxorus goes down...while Mega Garchomp manages to stay standing.

With that, the victor of today's match is Cynthia, who will be advancing to the semifinals as one of the players of the second match, with the next match, Ash vs. Steven, deciding her next opponent (it's obviously gonna be Ash, of course). The matches are frankly going exactly as I had expected them to, with Leon, Diantha, and Cynthia being the victors of their matches as I had predicted earlier. Up next, after Ash managed to talk to Iris for a bit, he heads onto the battlefield for his battle, with his opponent being Steven. In other words...the final match of Round 1 for the Masters Tournament, Ash vs. Steven, will be starting next week!

Also worth noting is that Lance seems to have left the stadium entirely. Alain meanwhile seems to be hanging around to continue watching the matches. Iris will also seemingly be watching in the stands from here on with Goh and Hop, so we're in for Goh+Iris+Hop interactions for the foreseeable future of this tournament. I do hope Alain and Iris hang around for the remainder of the tournament, even if the other folks like Lance and presumably Steven won't.

KaenSoul

Shared:Power Little Knight
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
This was the best battle so far, good fighting choreography and good animation (for this show's standards at least), except for Dragonite vs Milotic, those two were wasted go give the others more screentime, not like this tour lacks Dragonite anyway.

It occurs to me, Iris is the only trainer besides Leon who hasn't used one of the "Super" mechanics (because Steven's definitely going to use Mega Metagross for his only battle, and Ash has 3 so he can hit each of his matches with one, probably Gigantamax Pikachu for Leon because of course), which does make her performance vs Cynthia more impressive to me after the fact.

4 battles left in the tournament, and we're getting into the ones where they actually have to care as opposed to choosing if they do or don't, so interested to see how it ramps up for the remainder

Great episode overall, although I do think a few moments fell flat.

Gastrodon having the clear upper hand I felt was appropriate. And unlike others who feel Horn Drill was a bit of a cop out, I think Iris made the right call. She recognized as champion that the situation was fairly hopeless and such an attack was her only out.

Milotic was a force - I don’t think we’ve seen any other similar performance from the species since the days of Juan back in AG. Personally, I would have liked to see Excadrill maybe deflect an attack with Focus Blast and then land a solid hit before going down, giving Cynthia the opportunity to showcase Recover and cement Milotic as defensive stalwart. With both her and Dragonite being fresh, we could have had a proper battle where Dragonite launched more than one attack. Moreover, Disarming voice was an interesting choice. The anime is pushing the Fairy > Dragon matchup hard, but let’s not forget Ice Beam would have been a stronger, more devastating choice and thus would have made a closeup knockout with Iron Head more believable. Had Dragonite landed another attack or two, Milotic would have been perfectly set up to fall to Haxorus early on.

Which brings me to the main event - Haxorus v Chomp. Overall I think the battle was well done, showing a fairly even matchup with the close range combat. Garchomp’s entrance and Cynthia’s mega lip gloss reveals were fantastic, as were the final trade of Dragon Pulse and Meteor. Ironically, Haxorus never took a named attack straight on prior to the finishing blow from Draco Meteor, showcasing Garchomp’s pure strength.

All in all, a brilliant conclusion to Iris’ arc that solidifies both her growth and Axew’s, as well as the challenge that Cynthia will present once Ash faces her.

For the upcoming episodes, I’m predicting Ash will use ZCrystal Pikachu to cinch the match against Steven (an attack which has never failed to win him the match), Mega Lucariovs Cynthia for some tribute to Sinnoh and Mega on Mega action, and then GMax Pikachu vs Charizard as the final showdown.

I am enjoying the tournament so far. Ash better not lose to Steven and at least fights Leon even if he won't win.

Wondering how they will transition to the next region. Will Ash dumb Goh who the anime just puts in every freaking scene that should be just between Ash and Iris for example. It feels like they put too much importance to him than he should get.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
Today in Journeys, the fourth and final match of Round 1 of the Masters Tournament, Ash vs. Steven!

It's Ash's Dracovish, Gengar, and Pikachu up against Steven's Aggron, Cradily, and (Mega) Metagross! They lead off the match with Metagross and Dracovish, respectively, and Dracovish briefly manages to use Fishious Rend to defend itself against Metagross's Psychic, and holds its ground, prompting Steven to switch out to Aggron, and they collide in a Dragon Rush+Heavy Slam clash, which Aggron wins. Gengar comes in, and it unleashes Will-O-Wisp which burns Aggron. Because of the burn, Aggron's attacks do less damage while Gengar withstands them and the burn slowly takes it toll on Aggron, until Gengar unleases a Dazzling Gleam to break free of Aggron's Rock Tomb and do damage to it before Aggron succumbs to the burn and falls. Steven sends out Cradily next, and despite Gengar's efforts, Cradily holds on by binding Gengar with Power Whip and using Ingrain to heal itself, while they clash in a Dazzling Gleam and Meteor Beam clash. Cradily beata Gengar by shrugging off Gengar's Shadow Ball and then using repeated Power Whips. Pikachu comes in and in a unique strategy, Ash uses Electroweb to restrain Cradily's barnacles and then goes for the KO with Iron Tail, which then leads to the final showdown: Pikachu vs. Mega Metagross! Mega Metagross manages to dodge many of Pikachu's attacks and hits it hard with Meteor Mash and Psychic...but then Ash pulls his Z-Move and unleashes 10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt and both deflects Metagross's Flash Cannon and does serious damage to it, and then Pikachu goes for the KO with Iron Tail, winning Ash the match.

As such, Ash wins the final match of Round 1, making him advance to the semifinals, with his next opponent being Cynthia, thus making Ash vs. Cynthia the second match of the semifinals! Ash vs. one of the most popular Champions of all time will be a match many will want to see, so the semifinals will be something to look forward to, as the two matches of the semifinals are Leon vs. Diantha and Ash vs. Cynthia.

With that said, the tournament does not go straight for every round in one day, and with Round 1 over, the tournament disbands and the semifinals will be held some days after Round 1. Ash parts ways with Iris, Alain, and Steven as they wish him luck in his semifinals match.

As far as episodes, the fact that the tournament is taking a break for a few days in universe until semifinals means we will also have an interim in terms of episodes. Next week's episode, as well as the episode after that, will be about Chloe and Eevee, meaning the Masters Tournament is off session for the next two weeks, and it will be Chloe and Eevee's time to be in the spotlight.

Ash vs. Steven delivered, although it felt less impactful than Iris v Cynthia. And for good reason - Iris and Cynthia have a mentor/mentee relationship that spans several episodes and was played up in this arc, while I don't think Steven even remembers Ash from those 3 little episodes in Hoenn where he wasn't even acknowledged as champion.

That said, Ash's choices here seemed a bit...off. Using Dracovish against a renowned user of Steel-types was an odd choice, although he did present it as a nod to the training with Paul. And of course as I mentioned in my previous post, I'm sure they want to preserve Mega Lucario as his trump tactic vs Cynthia. Dracovish's performance was underwhelming, honestly, but I didn't expect much from it. Gengar had quite the showing, putting in work against Aggron and buying himself time with the burn. Unfortunately, Cradily came out as much more agile than I had anticipated and its use of Power Whip as both an offensive and defensive tool was not something I expected. Ingrain would have been an excellent counter to Will-o-Wisp even if Gengar had used it, and Cradily's use of immobilizing Gengar for point-blank Meteor Beam was I think truly becoming of its status as a pokemon in a champion's roster.

Pikachu vs Mega Metagross was interesting to say the least. Diantha commented on Metagross' superior computational skills as allowing it to read Pikachu's every move, but the rarity/exclusivity of PikashniumZ likely presented a novel situation against which it had no experience to pull from. Thus the surprise for both Metagross and Steven. Unfortunately, Metagross was felled by what seemed to be a less-than-stellar use of 10,000 Volt Thunderbolt (considering it had already expended some energy to deflect Flash Cannon), and then an Iron Tail which is not an attack that a Steel type of Metagross' stature should have taken a lot of damage from. It's a similar complaint I have to Iris' Haxorus being felled by essentially a single direct attack, especially after Pikachu took hit after hit including close-range Meteor Mash and Psychic. But like I said earlier, the plot is set up for Ash defeating both of the anime's (and probably game's) two strongest champions to get to Leon. Cynthia has been showcased and hyped up through several different iterations of the anime (DP, BW, and most recently Journeys), while Steven showcased his talents through the Mega Evolution arcs and late Kalos. I would and will still rank them more highly than Ash despite the inevitable plot-based losses, while I wouldn't do the same for Iris (who started her journey after Ash and even learned from him) or Diantha (who was admittedly caught by surprise by Ash Greninja's strength to be fair but was still pushed to her limit in a situation that I think other champions would have more readily adapted to).

As a side note, what a slap in the face to the Hoenn games / series / characters that of all characters to choose from, they included May's rivals without showcasing May and Max themselves. Quite the snub - it would have been nice to have seen her and Blaziken or Beautifly cheering Ash on.

I don't care for the coming bullshit with Eevee, but am quite looking forward to Ash v Cynthia. It has been hinted at and anticipated for years and so to finally see it on screen will be a treat so long as they don't muck it up. I anticipate Dragonite / Mega-Lucario / Pikachu against her team, with relatively quick knockouts against her first two pokemon so that it essentially becomes a 3-on-1 effort to take down Garchomp. Otherwise, we end up as the only logical conclusions being Mega Lucario vs. Mega Garchomp as the final battle (which means Ash would be facing her ace without his own) OR Garchomp vs Pikachu as the final match (a situation where we would then have to believe that Pikachu is capable of defeating one of the anime's strongest pokemon in history using just Quick Attack and Iron Tail).

Hopefully it only gets better from here.

That said, Ash's choices here seemed a bit...off. Using Dracovish against a renowned user of Steel-types was an odd choice, although he did present it as a nod to the training with Paul. And of course as I mentioned in my previous post, I'm sure they want to preserve Mega Lucario as his trump tactic vs Cynthia. Dracovish's performance was underwhelming, honestly, but I didn't expect much from it.

Unfortunately, Metagross was felled by what seemed to be a less-than-stellar use of 10,000 Volt Thunderbolt (considering it had already expended some energy to deflect Flash Cannon), and then an Iron Tail which is not an attack that a Steel type of Metagross' stature should have taken a lot of damage from. It's a similar complaint I have to Iris' Haxorus being felled by essentially a single direct attack, especially after Pikachu took hit after hit including close-range Meteor Mash and Psychic.
In defense of Dracovish, it's more famous among the fandom for Fisheous Rend, and as far as Ash's team is presented as both one of his more durable and harder hitting Pokemon in things like his battle with Drasna, so against a Steel specialist like Steven, it's not an illogical choice for trying to push him early and size him up. What would help on that front is Dracovish's Water typing making it more resilient vs their moves in turn. I've learned over time not to take the more abstract Game type-match-ups at face value for the anime though, if not mechanics in general, moreso should just judge how a Pokemon performs relative to what its stated role is in show.

I'd actually say Ash had a reasonable approach up until Pikachu shilling kicks in: Scout with his most durable Pokemon first, then poke holes with trickier moves via Gengar when Steven has his team outmatched in brute strength, and then pick up the remaining pieces with his most experienced/in-sync Team Member.

In regards to the finisher, I think it is fair to acknowledge that Metagross wasn't coming fresh into the battle like Iris vs Cynthia and their respective aces, compared to my issue with Leon's Charizard sweep in Match 1, and Lance choosing Dynamax for his strategy specifically to circumvent the fatigue and type disadvantage against Diantha's relatively fresh Gardevoir. Being recalled did leave time to catch its proverbial breath but Metagross did still take a blow early from what is probably Ash's hardest hitting Pokemon unassisted

The battle was OK, but I wish they stopped with this OHKO / 2HKO BS. The main segment of the match that I liked was the one with Cradily since there was a lot of back-and-forth between it and Gengar / Pikachu + it used the same strategy that Ash struggled with when fighting against Bea. Unlike w/ Bea though, Ash did pretty well here, counteracting with Dazzling Gleam w/ Gengar and not even letting Cradily use its tentacles by entrapping them with Pikachu's Electroweb. Pikachu vs Metagross was OK, but I was hoping that Ash would have tried slowing down Metagross with Electroweb, taking advantage of the fact that its ability is Tough Claws, not Clear Body, or Pikachu's Static kicking in, slowing down Metagross. What we got was fine though and seeing Pikachu get a thrashing was suspenseful. It genuinely seemed like Ash was gonna lose.

Not a fan of the ending tbh. I don't see why Alain, Steven and Iris had to leave, especially since Ash has a pretty close connection with Alain and Iris. Iris had a pretty solid showing in the past few episodes but Alain didn't really do much. Would have been nice to see them stick around like Ash's other rivals did during the tournaments. I might be misinterpreting the ending though, since I watched the Japanese episode unsubbed on youtube, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: I rewatched the episode w/ subs and the Metagross segment made more sense. I didn't realize that Dracovish dealt a critcal blow to it early on and thought they had just neutralized each other's attacks. I still don't like Dracovish getting knocked out in one hit, but it contributed a lot more than I initially thought. Also, I like how even Leon was impressed by Ash's bait lol.

Last edited:
... Wait, Leon is considered a strategic battler? More strategic compared to Alain? Leon felt like a "might makes right" battler with his Charizard being his irresistible force (serving as both a spear/unstoppable force and sword/immovable object). Heck, in the Alain battle he didn't even bother sending out his third Pokémon, as soon as he saw Alain send out his Charizard he went right for his and swept through the rest of Alain's team through sheer force.

Two things:
  1. Alain had fans? I thought he was almost as hated as Tobias.

2. We never really saw Diantha battle... we never saw Diantha do ANYTHING. For anyone to say how strong Diantha is up till this episode would have no leg to stand on and just be assuming since Diantha does nothing that means she's somehow not a good battler? It's also forgetting she's CHAMPION, and we've seen from other time Champions have battled like Cynthia and Alder that their Pokemon are super hard to faze even when it looks like their opponent caught them in a trap.
I don't know how Diantha's battle with Leon is going to go aside Leon is going to win. I think Diantha beating Lance has already shown she is a strong Champion (then again Lance is beginning to feel like Champion fodder at this point... BTW Lance why did you bring a Pokemon that was DOUBLE weak against Dinatha's ace? Would have made more sense if he sent out like a Dragalge or Salazzle (which is in the Dragon Egg Group)). Being the reason Leon sent out his Charizard early is because he wanted to mirror match against Alain's Charizard, since Diantha doesn't have one we may see Leon send out his other two Pokemon first which should give Diantha a better chance on lasting longer than Alain.
1. Alain has a fan base. He has the whole tortured, edgy, powerful trainer but without the issue of Pokémon abuse that dinged Paul.

2. We saw her battle a random trainer in XY, annihilate Wilkstrom during a movie opening, and duel Ash-Greninja. When most fans say she isn't a good battler, they are basing it off her game counterpart (who is considered weaker than most champions) and the fact that she didn't blow Ash-Greninja away. Which is rather silly since Ash-Greninja was a new twist and it is implied that she was trying to test its limits rather than go all out.

Really before Journeys, we have seen very little of the Champions battling for any fan to draw a conclusion regarding power levels. Heck most champions barely showcased more than one Mon! Lance battled grunts at the Lake of Rage. Steven blew away TR during a filler episode and assisted in the Team Flare incident. Cynthia wrecked Paul, beat down some Galactic grunts, had snippets of beating Aaron, Lucian, and Flint (losing two Pokemon to the flame haired trainer) on TV, battled Palmer during a movie opening, toyed with Iris' Awew, and finally drew with Caitlin. Her entire reputation grew from destroying Paul. Alder eliminated Trip without a sweat. As for Iris, well, we had a whole region to watch her non-champion performance.

Diantha's struggles with Ash-Greninja (like anything in fiction) were driven by plot not power levels. Having Gardevior struggle with Ash-Greninja raised the stakes. If Cynthia was the Kalos Champion, Garchomp would have been knocked down. That battle was to symbolize Ash's growth as a trainer. Like how Pikachu somehow taking hits from Flint's Infernape (while Buizel and Ash's own Infernape were quickly knocked out) was to demonstrate Ash's fighting spirit to Volkner to reenergize the depressed trainer.

TLDR: Before Journeys, most anime fans based the various power levels of champions off their game counterparts due to the lack of evidence provided by the anime.

Today in Journeys, the fourth and final match of Round 1 of the Masters Tournament, Ash vs. Steven!

It's Ash's Dracovish, Gengar, and Pikachu up against Steven's Aggron, Cradily, and (Mega) Metagross! They lead off the match with Metagross and Dracovish, respectively, and Dracovish briefly manages to use Fishious Rend to defend itself against Metagross's Psychic, and holds its ground, prompting Steven to switch out to Aggron, and they collide in a Dragon Rush+Heavy Slam clash, which Aggron wins. Gengar comes in, and it unleashes Will-O-Wisp which burns Aggron. Because of the burn, Aggron's attacks do less damage while Gengar withstands them and the burn slowly takes it toll on Aggron, until Gengar unleases a Dazzling Gleam to break free of Aggron's Rock Tomb and do damage to it before Aggron succumbs to the burn and falls. Steven sends out Cradily next, and despite Gengar's efforts, Cradily holds on by binding Gengar with Power Whip and using Ingrain to heal itself, while they clash in a Dazzling Gleam and Meteor Beam clash. Cradily beata Gengar by shrugging off Gengar's Shadow Ball and then using repeated Power Whips. Pikachu comes in and in a unique strategy, Ash uses Electroweb to restrain Cradily's barnacles and then goes for the KO with Iron Tail, which then leads to the final showdown: Pikachu vs. Mega Metagross! Mega Metagross manages to dodge many of Pikachu's attacks and hits it hard with Meteor Mash and Psychic...but then Ash pulls his Z-Move and unleashes 10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt and both deflects Metagross's Flash Cannon and does serious damage to it, and then Pikachu goes for the KO with Iron Tail, winning Ash the match.

As such, Ash wins the final match of Round 1, making him advance to the semifinals, with his next opponent being Cynthia, thus making Ash vs. Cynthia the second match of the semifinals! Ash vs. one of the most popular Champions of all time will be a match many will want to see, so the semifinals will be something to look forward to, as the two matches of the semifinals are Leon vs. Diantha and Ash vs. Cynthia.

With that said, the tournament does not go straight for every round in one day, and with Round 1 over, the tournament disbands and the semifinals will be held some days after Round 1. Ash parts ways with Iris, Alain, and Steven as they wish him luck in his semifinals match.

As far as episodes, the fact that the tournament is taking a break for a few days in universe until semifinals means we will also have an interim in terms of episodes. Next week's episode, as well as the episode after that, will be about Chloe and Eevee, meaning the Masters Tournament is off session for the next two weeks, and it will be Chloe and Eevee's time to be in the spotlight.
My man Pikachu, the Metagross Mauler!

Pseudo legendries don't stand a chance!

When I see Master 8 battles, I'm so disappointed by the lack of strategy of some competitors ... And why is it not 6v6 ?

And there, when you analyse the past series, there are very few 6v6

Ash Drake

Ash Gary
Ash Harrison

Ash Katie
Ash Morrisson
Ash Tyson

Ash Paul Lake Battle
Ash Paul League Battle
Ash Tobias (kind of)

Ash Cameron (kind of)

Ash Sawyer
Ash Alain

and Ash Kukui ...

That's all I could remember ? Themost surprising one is probably Katie (and it's one of my favourite), but just ... why ? Of course B&W saga is the worst with Cameron (and Roxie too I guess) and I hope Masters will have several 6v6 in semi and finals ....

When I see Master 8 battles, I'm so disappointed by the lack of strategy of some competitors ... And why is it not 6v6 ?

And there, when you analyse the past series, there are very few 6v6

Ash Drake

Ash Gary
Ash Harrison

Ash Katie
Ash Morrisson
Ash Tyson

Ash Paul Lake Battle
Ash Paul League Battle
Ash Tobias (kind of)

Ash Cameron (kind of)

Ash Sawyer
Ash Alain

and Ash Kukui ...

That's all I could remember ? Themost surprising one is probably Katie (and it's one of my favourite), but just ... why ? Of course B&W saga is the worst with Cameron (and Roxie too I guess) and I hope Masters will have several 6v6 in semi and finals ....
Animation costs, rarity, and the difficulty in making a 6 v 6 worthy.

Fans generally hate OHKO and 2HKOs. So that shortcut is removed.

In real life, a Master's tournament would be 6 v 6. I imagine the anime didn't want to spend all that money, episode count, and effort on making every matchup 6 on 6. That is a lot of strategies to conjure up for Champion level trainers. I also think Iris' team played a role in it. Her seen in the anime team is basically three studs and a bunch of dreck. They could have revealed more Mons like they did for the other champions and Alain but since Iris was a travel companion, I believe they are treating her team differently.

Hopefully, we receive 6 on 6 for the semifinals and championship match.

I am loving this tournament. We are receiving tons of cameos (see, it wasn't that hard, anime writers), they actually had Paul smile (wish I liked. Yes, the #1 Paul hater enjoyed that. Nice to see him enjoy a match. Humanized the character), the interactions have been good, the different tactics, see the Champions reveal other Pokemon than their aces, and finally getting to witness Ash fulfill his potential.

I only wish they let him use more reserves. His current team is great but I want to see this Ash make use of his previous stars. It kind of makes the argument that it is more the trainer than the Pokemon itself. Which counters the traditional champion portrayal of an unstoppable Pokemon that can't be harmed.

Funny how perspectives change everything in fiction, isn't?

#BringBackHawlucha

I only wish they let him use more reserves. His current team is great but I want to see this Ash make use of his previous stars. It kind of makes the argument that it is more the trainer than the Pokemon itself. Which counters the traditional champion portrayal of an unstoppable Pokemon that can't be harmed.
I think there's just sort of a tricky balance to hit with regards to something like Ash bringing back his old Team Members for a league. The only seasons I can immediately think of where he brought out team members for the League that he wasn't already using throughout the Region might be Gen 1 (granted first series means them seeing screentime was a tricky ask in some cases already), 2, and 4. On one hand, there is the argument noted of making the imposing presence the trainer themselves and the sum of their abilities; on the other hand, in the case of Ash, there's the question of how much they can show him bringing in old battlers before it infringes on the screentime of his new captures (granted this season he's mixing in old as well as new Mons), something the series has arguably had trouble with even back in seasons like Gen 2.

Additionally, in the case of the Champions who primarily show up for their boss battles or other scattered appearances, that can probably manage fine since their introduction is via those battles (or in Iris/Lance's case in particular, already informed by past appearances). With Ash, there's a questionable disconnect between having him win his way here thanks to a new 5 members, only to begin juggling them out when he gets the shot that they earned him with what we'd be seeing (this if they took the "League swap-in" approach rather than trying to juggle Ash's dozens of Battlers for the fights to reach the Masters' Eight). It's almost expected/taken for granted as storytelling that Ash will compete heavily using the team that got him there, whether from a tradition they've slipped into or a focus on Ash's Pokemon as characters rather than part of a unit (such as his Fire Starters tend to be).

The closest I can come up with to a season and story where this structure was tried is probably the Battle Frontier, since Ash's Gen 3 team had already had a long run and thus were spotlighted as much as his veterans, while the Frontier's nature meant Ash didn't strictly have as much riding on one particular match (vs going up/down in the Series rank or full-on elimination from a tournament). It brought some less expected match-ups like Ash's Tauros returning for Anabel, or his 4v4 with Brandon subverting the usual Charizard Ace performance.

As weird of a tangent as this may sound, I think the quick turn-around for Pokemon games and the breakneck pace each gen feels like it moves (whether or not it is the case in length of time) is a major reason Ash's team stays anchored to current Gen nowadays. The Battle Frontier was basically an entire season of its own out of Hoenn's timeframe (192 episodes for Advance, 58 from when Ash starts the Frontier to when he defeats Brandon) during which Ash I believe only caught Aipom (an old Mon anyway), it was specifically dedicated to showing off the Battles and no other content took precedent. The current iterations of the anime feel hard pressed to manage that while also doing what the brand probably demands of them in showing off the majority of the new Pokemon and covering the beats of the game as a marketing tie-in, or at the very least that doesn't feel like where the priorities lie or have lain since Gen 5. This isn't a strict positive or negative but I do think it factors into what the focus of Ash's teams have been and will be for battling in this and likely future Endgames.

I've decided to catch up and man was that worth it. (Even though I skipped pretty much all episodes without good battles or Ash catching a new mon.) I like this arc's premise. Go can go somewhere else tho.

With that said, now that Ash already broke the biggest meme by becoming Champion in Alola, they really could let him, y'know, get a year or two on his ID. Professor Burnet already had a whole baby and this dude is still 10 years old, come on! :facepalm:

Regarding the Masters 8 so far... Alain getting rolled over was funny, Lance moving in like a Galarian Darmanitan and getting straight up washed was even funnier, Steven vs. Ash was fairly nice, but it was too hard to follow an act like Iris vs. Cynthia.

Not only the battle was excellent, but did y'all notice the music when she sent her Garchomp out?

They broke out the ominous Latin chant with the organ in the background like she was prime Ganondorf! :totodiLUL:
It's fitting tho. Especially after BDSP. :trode:

Last edited:
I just started watching the second Pokemon Journeys series. Journeys is one of my favourite Pokemon series. I disn't realise quite how different this series would be cpmpared to different ones until I saw it. Of course there are a few boring filler episodes, (Like the Pokemon Centre one, Ho-Oh episode, and the Pipluo race one) but there are some great battle episodes.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!

For those who don't know, the four special Legends: Arceus episodes that aired earlier this year will air together in a special airing called "Pokémon: The Arceus Chronicles" in its big world premiere, English dubbed, at World Championships later this month.

This will be the first worldwide showing of the four episodes outside of Eastern Asia.

I like Eevee and I like its evolutions. Heck, I went to five or six different Wal-Marts so I could collect the full plush set. Sylveon is a top five Pokemon in my estimation.

But the last episode was awful. We get it, Pokemon. You want to maximize Eevee profits but do something meaningful with the species. Pikachu carries its weight in battle. It is a useful mascot.

Stop giving out Eevees to Poke-Girls if they are not going to do anything. You can advertise and still have the Pokemon do something. It is not one or the other.

And this episode said RIP to the new Eevee Evolution dreams.

What an arc. Multiple episodes wasted just to say that the Eevee and her trainer have future possibilities. Riveting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)