ISPs to Start Policing Copyrights by July 1st...

Lol welcome to New Zealand the shit hole of the Southern Hemisphere... Already been around for 6 months. Watch the video if you wanna rage.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/d...ontroversial-internet-file-sharing-law-passed

WHAT THE NEW LAW MEANS

* Establishes a 'three strikes' regime to stamp out illegal file-sharing.

* Copyright owners notify Internet Service Providers (ISPs) that someone is downloading material, such as films or video, without paying for it, through file-sharing.

* ISPs send warning notices to those customers telling them they may have infringed copyright.

* After three warnings, if the user does not stop, the copyright owner can take a claim to the Copyright Tribunal.

* The tribunal now has the power in impose a maximum $15,000 penalty on the internet account holder.

* However, after two years, if the new regime is not working - and a large number of people are still illegally downloading, then the Commerce Minister can introduce a tougher regime which could lead to the suspension of accounts.

* This would see the tribunal refer serious cases to the district court, who would have the power to order a six month suspension.

* The regime comes into force on September 1 2011. The law does not apply to cellphone networks until 2013.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Lets stick to the topic at hand eh?

I am ok with three strikes. It means that you can get away with anything until they catch you twice, then you only need to stop torrenting, and the previous warnings only last a certain period of time. I dont think anyone has been convicted under this law yet.

Though, apparently it has significantly reduced torrenting traffic in NZ.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
To be fair, the businesses want money. When people are illegally downloading music, movies, or whatever, are the businesses getting their money? You should already know the answer to that.

Honestly, I don't see a problem. If ISPs want to adopt anti-piracy measures so the MPAA, RIAA and whoever the fuck else can get their money, fine with me. I don't really care. I'm fine with spending however much it'll cost me to buy a Metallica CD or whatever, hell, it's not much compared to the computer I'm using to type this.

Lets hope this doesnt enter Australia whatsoever. But really, is this the future of the internet?
Will in a few years all ISPs in developed countries be monitoring their users in case of piracy?

Or is it just an attempt for governments to try and control a new phenomenom, and if governments are able to get away with it, will all sorts of government policies start to be implied upon internet, such as taxing goods, such as the stuff you get from ebay.

Or will the attempt finally crumble, because for a good reason, its probably not making the voters any happier, which will make the move by NZ bad politically. And if this is the case, would it be a deterrent from other governments from doing the same thing, in fear of being voted out for such a bad policy

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Lets hope this doesnt enter Australia whatsoever. But really, is this the future of the internet?
Will in a few years all ISPs in developed countries be monitoring their users in case of piracy?

Or is it just an attempt for governments to try and control a new phenomenom, and if governments are able to get away with it, will all sorts of government policies start to be implied upon internet, such as taxing goods, such as the stuff you get from ebay.

Or will the attempt finally crumble, because for a good reason, its probably not making the voters any happier, which will make the move by NZ bad politically. And if this is the case, would it be a deterrent from other governments from doing the same thing, in fear of being voted out for such a bad policy
As a DJ, this will absolutely ruin us. As a regular internet user and music lover, this will be annoying as fuck. Please stay out of our country, crappy laws!

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
boo hoo it's going to be harder (or rather, more penalized) to break the law by pirating music.

seriously how is this a bad thing other than because you want to steal music, it has no other effect other than to punish people who are doing something illegal. All it is doing is upping the amount of enforcability that is going to happen, which is a good thing, seeing as how currently it's a law that the public by and large completely fucking ignores.

boo hoo it's going to be harder (or rather, more penalized) to break the law by pirating music.

seriously how is this a bad thing other than because you want to steal music, it has no other effect other than to punish people who are doing something illegal. All it is doing is upping the amount of enforcability that is going to happen, which is a good thing, seeing as how currently it's a law that the public by and large completely fucking ignores.
Yes I understand your point, and it technically is better for the law to be upheld. But if this passes, it gives more leeway for internet censorship to rise, because being threatening to security is also against the law.

I just dont want this bill to come, and Im sure you wouldnt like it to happen to your country either.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
But if this passes, it gives more leeway for internet censorship to rise, because being threatening to security is also against the law.
You realize this law has literally nothing to do with censorship, right? It is in no way a gateway to censoring the internet, it is simply allowing for harsher punishments and more accountability of people doing something illegal.

Are you Aemerican? Did you think the PATRIOT ACT was okay because it only punished terrorists?
The patriot act allowed you to be detained / questioned on suspicions of terrorist behavior.

This law only punishes people proven to be sharing copyrighted material illegally.

The two are no where near the same, don't try that sensationalist bullshit here.

You realize this law has literally nothing to do with censorship, right? It is in no way a gateway to censoring the internet, it is simply allowing for harsher punishments and more accountability of people doing something illegal.
Yes, but how is this being done? Its being done by having ISPs policing the networks. It definitely isnt censorship, but its definitely a step towards one. Because this is another attempt to try and control the internet, gradually enough control will be granted to the government, to the point that they are able to pass an internet censorship bill.

Also to give an example, what if this bill evolves to a point, where say Serebii uploads pages from a paid magazine, and Nintendo freaks out about it. What if someone downloads Pokemon Online, and the ISP registers this as some sort of piracy of Pokemon. There are loads of ways it can affect people who are not even pirating any files

Im not for piracy at all though, it hurts small music artists more than large ones, since the large music artists make a lot of their money of concerts and stuff.

The patriot act allowed you to be detained / questioned on suspicions of terrorist behavior.

This law only punishes people proven to be sharing copyrighted material illegally.

The two are no where near the same, don't try that sensationalist bullshit here.
This sets the precedent that it is okay for your ISP to play detective and spy on you to make sure you're not breaking the law. It's basically like having to let a police officer search your car every time you drive on the highway to get somewhere.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
It's basically like having to let a police officer search your car every time you drive on the highway to get somewhere.
But Wikey, ISPs aren't even law enforcement!

I don't know what the American ISPs are gonna do, but that New Zealand law has Copyright Owners being the ones who tell ISPs to shut people down. The problem is that Copyright Owners have lately been the worst judges of when someone was actually violating their Copyright.

i didn't even know that this sort of thing was going on in nz. i just love how politicians try to regulate something they don't even understand.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Yes, but how is this being done? Its being done by having ISPs policing the networks. It definitely isnt censorship, but its definitely a step towards one. Because this is another attempt to try and control the internet, gradually enough control will be granted to the government, to the point that they are able to pass an internet censorship bill.

Also to give an example, what if this bill evolves to a point, where say Serebii uploads pages from a paid magazine, and Nintendo freaks out about it. What if someone downloads Pokemon Online, and the ISP registers this as some sort of piracy of Pokemon. There are loads of ways it can affect people who are not even pirating any files

Im not for piracy at all though, it hurts small music artists more than large ones, since the large music artists make a lot of their money of concerts and stuff.
No. From my understanding the complaint needs to be started with the copyright holder (Nintendo) and they have been completely capable of taking action before this. The reason they haven't is relatively simple albeit two-fold, we popularize their game and we don't make any money that they could be making.

But Wikey, ISPs aren't even law enforcement!
You're right. This is way worse than I sensationalized!

As an only somewhat related aside. I would respect copyright more if it was something only owned by creative people. The fact that the copyright to songs by The Beatles will always belong to the highest bidder is dumb. As it is now copyright doesn't protect artists, it makes money for people who have never done anything of worth.

xenu

Banned deucer.
Even if this comes into effect, enforcing it is a completely different challenge. The only way ISPs can "detect" illegal downloads is to listen in to the ports that common bittorrent clients use; and even then, the only information they'll get from that is that 'a file' is being downloaded over a p2p protocol.. actually determining the legality of said file will require them to physically be at your computer and analyze the files, which is obviously extremely impractical just to confirm 'suspicions' of copyright infringements.

Seems to me this is more scare tactics than anything else.

if the government put a ban tomorrow on wearing clothes, everyone would ignore it and (with the exception of a few spineless assholes) keep wearing clothes. and that's a very good thing.

humans are, by and large, capable of living by their own morality. the fact that everyone ignores the law doesn't mean it needs to be enforced more -- it means the law needs to be completely revamped. and that's to be expected, given that copyright law was devised ages before digital technology. trying to apply 18th-century law to the 21st century without even considering the sociocultural and technological changes is just moronic.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
Umbreon that is literally one of the dumbest things I've ever heard... if people started stealing CDs from shops in masses, that wouldn't be grounds to change the law to say "stealing CDs is no longer illegal"...

The only reason that it's not "immoral" to most people is because A.) it's incredibly easy compared to the alternative of buying digital music B.) it's not punished harshly / consistently and C.) they can't see the negative effects of their actions right away.

There's no positive spin you can put on this, it's stealing no matter how you look at it, and our basic human morality says that stealing is "wrong".

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

seriously how is this a bad thing other than because you want to steal music, it has no other effect other than to punish people who are doing something illegal. All it is doing is upping the amount of enforcability that is going to happen, which is a good thing, seeing as how currently it's a law that the public by & large completely fucking ignores.
I don't know if pirating music / movies / games itself is a really bad thing to begin with. If someone has a huge collection of music at their fingertips they might discover some less-known band that they wouldn't have heard of without it. From there on they might go buy concert tickets, band apparel, or buy the music of which they downloaded in a different medium (vinyl or what have you). With movies, you may want to see what the director's style is before you go & purchase the rest of the movie. You can even buy movie posters & all the sorts. I have a hard time justifying games, but I figure most people don't have the know-how or whatever to pirate a game, burn it, & get their xbox to play it. They're probably not losing that much money in the long run.

Without music piracy I probably would've spent a lot less towards artists & bands as a whole. I wouldn't have found great websites like Strange and Famous Records & I probably wouldn't have gotten into comic books at all (my local comic shop now adores me).

EDIT:
also you could just get a seedbox and FTP stuff, pretty sure ISPs don't give a fuck about FTP.

...As for me here in the US, I really have nothing to say about the OP-hypothetically someone who hasn't been invited to the table could get at least a bit of market share in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)