It's Raining Outside, Man! (OU RMT)

It's Raining Outside, Man!
A First Attempt at a Rain Team

I made this team to try out a defensive rain playstyle, and it's been working out relatively well so far. Unfortunately, I'm a horrible battler, so I've only laddered this team up to 1260 or so tops on Smogon's PO server after a day of chain battling. The overall strategy I've been using with this team is to induce the appropriate statuses on/stall out any threats, all the while whittling down on their HP through the use of Stealth Rocks, and then start hitting things with Thundurus and Scizor.

The Team

A Bit More In-Depth

Politoed@Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpDef
Nature: Bold
-Scald
-Toxic
-Encore
-Protect

Politoed is one of the most important members of the team. He brings out the rain! I opted for a bulky set because my team is pretty rain-dependent, and it can be used in a stall war if it really comes down to it. Though Toxic is considered standard, for some reason most people don't seem to expect it, and it can usually cripple a wall or a booster on the switch. Really, anything else Politoed does is self-explanatory.

The original set:
Scizor@Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP/40 Atk/216 SpDef
Nature: Adamant
-Swords Dance
-Bullet Punch
-Bug Bite
-Roost

Scizor is a great Pokemon, as justified by its usage rates. The Bulky Sword-Dancing set is great for setting up on a Sleeping/Paralyzed Pokemon that can't 2HKO, and is difficult to revenge kill, as it packs a resistance to opposing Bullet Punches and Ice Shards, and a +2 Bullet Punch of its will take out basically anything weak to it or anything frail. Late in the game, two or more dances can be pulled off fairly easily, at which point it can OHKO almost everything in the metagame, 2HKOing anything else not named Heatran. I went for Bug Bite over Superpower due to the fact that Heatran gets covered by the waters on the team and gets killed by Thundurus, Skarmory doesn't really threaten anything on the team other than Scizor, Tyranitar gets OHKO'd by Bullet Punch after a SD anyways, and Bug Bite doesn't have the bad side-effects of Superpower. It can also score a 2HKO on Hippowdon (and other physically defensive neural Pokemon) after +2, cleanly after +4, and a OHKO after +6.

The new set:

Scizor@Choice Scarf
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spe/4 SpDef
Nature: Jolly
-U-turn
-Bullet Punch
-Aerial Ace
-Superpower

After switching Rachi out for Ferro and slapping a Scarf on Thundurus-T, bulky SD Scizor was out of place and often couldn't fulfill the offensive role that I needed it to. I needed something faster and more versatile, all the while still covering the same threats. By switching to a Choice Scarf set, I could do this. While it opened me up a bit more to Blissey/Chansey with Aromatherapy/Heal Bell, it allowed me to more effectively deal with faster offensive special attackers such as Latios and Alakazam, which proved more troublesome after replacing Jirachi. I was still able able to deal with Tyranitar with Superpower and Ninetails by U-turning out. Hippowdon became slightly harder to kill, but it's more uncommon and can be crippled with Toxic. I also enjoy the Volt-Turn offense due to the switches that it forces, which makes my defensive core and my hazards more effective.

:pimp::pimp:Amoonguss:pimp::pimp:@Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP/40 Def/216 SpDef
Nature: Calm
-Spore
-Clear Smog
-Giga Drain
-Hidden Power Ice

This guy is a total badass, and he looks awesome. With Regenerator, he becomes one of the most annoying sponges out there. Due to his awesome typing, most physical attacks 3HKO (at best). Due to his decent Special Defense and rain, most special attacks 3HKO (again, at best). The exception is super-effective hits, and he shares amazing defensive synergy with the rest of the team, making them very rarely seen. After he comes in to sponge an attack, he can either sleep or paralyze an opponent, crippling offensive threats and making other defensive Pokemon even better setup fodder than they were before. When he's done his job, he can switch out and regain most, if not all of the HP he lost. Hidden Power Ice can also OHKO Gliscor, Dragonite, and Salamence after rocks, which makes him great for preventing a stall war with Gliscor or a Dragon Dance sweep. He also means trouble for other rain teams. Overall, Amoongus is probably my favorite, and the best damn Pokemon on the team.

The old set:
Thundurus-T@Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpAtk/252 Spe/4 Def
Nature: Timid
-Thunder
-Focus Blast
-Hidden Power Ice
-Grass Knot

This guy hits things extremely hard. Due to the fact that my only other offensive Pokemon is Scizor, I opted to go for a versatile Life Orb set on him. His Volt Absorb comes in handy with Politoed's and Tentacruel's Electric Weaknesses. However, he does suffer quite a bit from Stealth Rock, so making sure that it's off the field before sending him out is important in most situations. He also falls into the 101 speed bracket, meaning that faster threats such as Terrakion and Latios can revenge kill him. It is crucial that these threats are paralyzed before sending him out, and it is normally easy enough to get that done with two Pokemon that can spread the status, both packing useful resistances against common sweeping attack moves. Once all is done, he does what a Life Orb attacker does best: OHKOs everything that doesn't resist him (with the exception of a few bulky, specially defensive Pokemon like Ferrothorn and Forretress) that isn't a squishy pink blob. Just hope that Focus Blast doesn't miss at a crucial time.

The new set:

Thundurus-T@Choice Scarf
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpAtk/252 Spe/4 Def
Nature: Timid
-Thunder
-Focus Blast
-Hidden Power Ice
-Volt Switch

As suggested by many people below, Thundurus needed to change in order to deal with fast boosting threats like.. other Thundurus that knew Nasty Plot and SubDD Gyarados! It helps me do this well, and with Scizor forms a nice Volt-Turn combo that I've already told you about. Because I have only two offensive Pokemon on the team, I preferred this guy's raw power and coverage as opposed to Rotom-W. He also gives me a nice Electric immunity and still has a Ground immunity. The switch was nice, and definitely patched up some weakness that I had. Volt-turn also threatens Celebi when Scizor is packing a Scarf, which helps greatly. Due to its great speed and power, Thundurus-T is also a great late-game sweeper.

Tentacruel@Black Sludge
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP/236 Def/20 Spe
Nature: Bold
-Substitute
-Toxic
-Rapid Spin
-Scald

This dude is a great wallbreaker and doubles as a rapid spinner. He can lure in stuff that will be looking to wall him and follow up with Toxic. This has caught a number of Pringles Mustache Ghosts off guard, aiding greatly to the outcome of the game. His Substitutes can prevent their attempts to status him and cost very little with Rain Dish and Black Sludge. Scald also 2HKOs Gengar in rain, and it's fairly easy to predict a switch from him. I opted out of Toxic Spikes on him because the rest of the team can spread other statuses which are more beneficial in most cases, and because Toxic Spikes are the most unreliable entry hazards.

The Old Poke:

Jirachi@Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP/224 SpDef/32 Spe
Nature: Careful
-Iron Head
-Thunder Wave
-Wish
-Stealth Rock

Last but not least, it's the little weird-looking star piñata! This thing is really bulky in rain, having only one weakness, and provides much needed support to the team. Stealth Rock makes stalling a lot easier, as both teams will be constantly switching. Rachi can survive a CB Terrakion CC and Thunder Wave it, a +1 Dragonite Outrage/Fire Punch then Thunder Wave it, etc. Iron Head is great for getting paraflinch hax, and gets a 3-4HKO on most things that don't resist it. Jirachi passes off 202 HP wishes, which have been really useful, especially late-game. Jirachi's usefulness to this team is second only to Amoonguss.

The New Poke:

Ferrothorn@Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP/88 Def/168 SpDef
Nature: Relaxed
-Leech Seed
-Power Whip
-Spikes
-Stealth Rock

Swapping Jirachi for Ferrothorn was suggested by Expert Physics. I found that while it did patch up a couple weaknesses, it left me a bit more open to faster special sweepers, though I remedied that by switching to a Choice Scarf variant of Scizor. However, Ferrothorn helped me deal with SubDD Gyarados, Mamoswine, and loads of other physical Pokemon better than before, while still being able to take special hits relatively well. Having a second form of entry hazards also proved beneficial, as it offset the loss of raw power that occurred by switching both of my offensive Pokemon to Choice Scarf variants.

I'm not going to do a really in-depth threatlist, but these are what I would say the biggest threats to my team:

Firstly, SubDD Gyarados. It's not nearly as much of a problem anymore with the changes I've made to the team, but it still poses a bit of a threat if my prediction is absolutely awful.

Celebi is another Pokemon that can set up on a good portion of my team, but isn't really as much of a threat as it was before. Again, it requires bad prediction to allow the thing to set up.

Lastly, Heal Bell Blissey/Chansey. With the changes made to the team, this is now the most annoying Pokemon for me to face. Due to the low PP of Aromatherapy and Heal Bell, it can be stalled out with good prediction and very careful playing. However, the team requires a good bit of prediction even when not facing one of these, and losing a single Pokemon when it could have been prevented will often cost the game against a team using a Chansey/Blissey that knows Heal Bell. No team can be without a single big weakness, and one variant of a Pokemon that can still be beaten with good prediction is a weakness I'm willing to deal with.

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Hi

Powerful Special sweepers that can break through Jirachi (NP Thundurus-T in particular) can really destroy your team. At +2, it OHKOes everything on your team, meaning you have to rely on a speed tie with your own Thundurus-T to not insta lose (even Amoonguss is OHKOed by +2 HP Ice after Stealth Rock!) and sincerly the only way to beat NP Thundurus-T is to hit it before it can hit you because it 2HKOes everything in OU (and OHKO a pretty huge part). I think you would greatly appreciate to put a Choice Scarf on your own Thundurus-T; it doesn't only allow you to revenge kill / get on Thundurus with prediction, but also provides you an amazing cleaner for late game against teams Scizor can't sweep. Even without item Thunder hits insanely hard and has great coverage. Scarf Thundurus-T also gives you a tool against SubDD Gyarados considering you've broken its Substitute, as long as you don't let it get more than one Dragon Dance.

I don't think this is going to be enough to stop Gyarados though, because it'll get you into a pretty long and complicated mind game, but it certainly stops you from getting swept everytime you see one. While you have Scizor which is a great Mamoswine check and all, you still claim to have problems with it, so I guess that Slowbro could really be a great pokémon in the place of Tentacruel. If you give it HP Electric (which is weird, but still), you have a great Gyarados switch which can hit it hard, while also gaining a Mamoswine check. Since you don't use Toxic Spikes, Tentacruel's role will be very often only to use Rapid Spin, which is cool, but it will be a dead weight in the rest of the match, especially against an opponent who doesn't rely on Entry Hazards. You say Scald 2HKOes Gengar, but SubDisable Gengar completely shuts down your Tentacruel so there's nothing really great in that.

Here are the sets you should use:
Thundurus-T @ Choice Scarf
Volt Absorb
Timid
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Thunder
-Volt Switch
-Hidden Power Ice
-Focus Blast

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Regenerator
Bold
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
-Scald
-Hidden Power Electric
-Ice Beam
-Slack Off

Good luck!

Sayonara

don't forget
Hi, Deuce, solid team! As you mentioned in your RMT, SubDD Gyarados is a pain for your team. To help patch this weakness, I would recommend Ferrothorn over Jirachi. Ferrothorn helps counter Gyarados, as well as Mamoswine, another threat you pointed out earlier.

Thanks to its fantastic bulk and typing, it resists Waterfall and can utilize Leech Seed to gain back health and easily stall out Gyarados. Ferrothorn also brings Stealth Rock to the table, like Jirachi, and it also provides Spikes coverage - a useful way to continue dishing out damage to opposing switch-ins. Finally, Power Whip hits pretty hard off a 180 base power (thanks to STAB), and can OHKO Mamoswine. Unlike Jirachi, Ferrothorn isn't weak to Ground-type moves, aiding you to deal with Mamoswine. It also does well in Rain, as Fire-type moves are weakened. Leftovers grants recovery.Cool team, and good luck!

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers | Iron Barbs
Careful Nature | 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
~ Stealth Rock
~ Spikes
~ Leech Seed
~ Power Whip

AB2

is an absolute ape
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Hi, nice team. At a first glance, it does seem that sub + dragon dance gyarados is by far the most threatening 'mon for this team to face. There aren't really that many changes that I can make that won't replace the focal point of this team. Instead, you are better off giving gyarados almost zero chances to set up so that you can play around it more easily. Running something like perish song on politoed is probably one of your best options here. With perish song over something like encore, you can have a safety net check against stuff like sub dd gyarados and sub calm mind jirachi. Although it is rather unreliable and should probably used as a last ditch effort, it is a very good safety net in last pkmn situations. I suppose you could try a set with hydro pump / ice beam / hp elec / perish song on it with a bit less bulk, but it is probably better for you in the long run just to use perish song over encore. At the moment, gyarados also sets up easily on jirachi. A quick fix to this would be to simply drop thunder wave for thunder. Although twave is guaranteed para, thunder will allow you to at least do damage so that set up 'mons are weary of coming in on jirachi.

It may be worth your while to test a choice scarf thundurus-t over your current version. Since most sub dd gyara only run 204 speed, timid choice scarf thundurus-t can outrun gyara with +2. I guess you could run a set with volt switch / thunder / focus blast / hidden power ice, timid, choice scarf, max spa and max spe. The constant volt switching will not be much of a problem as you pack a rapid spinner on this team as well. If you want to take a more offensive approach to this team, I suppose you could simply run lo starmie over tentacruel (which checks mamoswine and gives gyara almost no places to set up) as well as test agility lo tornadus over your current version. Although that part is up to you! gl.

Nice team but am worried about you thunderus. If politoed is taken out an rain is replaced with a sand storm or something else your thunderus is in trouble. He's powerful moves have low accuracy and thunder depends on the rain meanwhile grass knot and HP ice are accurate but not very strong. So I think you should either give it an accurate and strong move for either grass knot or focus blast OR teach it nasty plot so grass knot and HP ice have a more reliable power. Hope I helped!

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I've been testing them out quite a bit and I've updated the team to reflect the changes.

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I would add a little more speed to politoed so that it doesnt get taunted by opposing jellicent and to outspeed opposing skarmory, scizor with minimum speed investment, and other pokemon so that you can utilize encore better. Being faster than Jellicent allows you to toxic it before it can taunt you.

Additionally a choice scarf scizor does not pack the same punch as choice banded. if you are truly worried about Tyranitar, ninetales and other special attackers you can run a few speed EVs to outspeed Tyranitars with minimum investment, and quick attack. Being faster allows you to get off your u-turns and switch out to an appropriate pokemon to take the hit. Sometimes you want scizor taking the hit before you u-turn out but with such a defensive team, that is not necessary. Quick attack works against fast Water/Elec/Fire pokemon that think they can come in and take a bullet punch.

I also dislike Stun Spore on amoongus. It will definitely conflict with the toxic on Tentacruel and Politoed. Clear Smog or Rain Dance can be used in this moveslot if it does happen to clog your toxic strat.

Lastly I would test out your Jirachi again with this EV spread EVs: 252 HP / 160 SDef / 96 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
It outspeeds Mamo, reahes 276 spdef, and helps deal with Sub DD gyara.

Your team still struggles with Magnezone, so you have to play carefully around that.

Hey, thanks for the suggestions, Chimpakt! I tested out the Rachi spread that you suggested and still liked the Ferro better. I had already tested out banded and scarfed Scizor before making the decision, but thank you for your suggestion on that anyways. While band was still good, scarf fit my playstyle a bit more. Swapping Stun Spore for Clear Smog, however, did prove beneficial. By switching to faster offensive Pokemon, I no longer needed the paralysis slow. Clear Smog gave me an answer to things that may want to try come and set up on Amoonguss.

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
If you're adamant about keeping ferrothorn then I would definitely add shed shell over leftovers. you have two pokemon vulnerable to magnezone and by setting up spikes first (on the first magnezone switch in), and then leech seed, you can essentially always make it lose hp every time it comes in. Magnezone is becoming a very common pokemon due to the jirachis that are being used to combat tornadus-T.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)