MLB thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

little gk

competitive oosos player
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well opening day was yesterday!
I really hope this can just be a huge discusion on events that go on everyday in the MLB.
Thanks and happy posting!

little gk

competitive oosos player
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well, espn has their first power rankings. They have the AL East ruling and the Red Sox in first. The NL West does not look too good according to them though.

Yanks lost to the B-Orioles. Sucks ass. I agree with Tri-DarkSouls. CC Sabathia did terrible. But, we were close to winning when we gave up those 4 runs in the 8th. Which made the final score 5-10. Pretty gay that we lost. But stuff happens. Not a good day for CC I gotta say.

little gk

competitive oosos player
CC did do pretty bad yesterday, but its all about the second half, I mean he basically carried the Brewers to the post season last year!

I don't like how the Tigers were messing with my boy Halladay's ERA.

It's all good though, Halladay just doesn't want his cover to be blown; good one Halladay, pretending to be human.

Diana

This isn't even my final form
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The Mets' relievers actually came through yesterday. I know it's only game 1 of 162 but that's a good sign if they want to not screw up again.

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
our the travis snider will save the blue jays

also there is a real MLB thread buried somewhere in the abyss of congregation but i guess a new one is ok

No one should forget the Marlins this year. They have real potential in the pitching staff with Nolasco, Johnson, Sanchez, and Volstad. If the bullpen is less shaky this year, I like them to make a run.

The AL East reluctantly has Boston in first this year, but any of the Yankees, Jays or Rays can take 2/3/4 with Baltimore in the cellar once again.
The AL Central is completely up for grabs this year, any of the teams, maybe even the Royals, can take it.
The West goes to LA again, without much competition. Oakland can do SOME damage, but not enough to call them a major competitor.

NL East goes to Mets or Phils, but the Braves may be a surprise.
NL Central belongs to the Cubs with Cards in second. Reds or Houston may be surprise teams.
NL West belongs to Dodgers, but only because they have no competition. At all. Like, none.

and yes Jackal, our Travis Snider shall save the Blue Jays.

I'm a Blue Jays fan in the AL, and Mets in the NL. Not because of bandwagoning, but because I lived in NY all my life except for three years in Toronto. Which makes both of those teams win. But not the Bankees. They suck

Diana

This isn't even my final form
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I don't see the Jays better than fourth, the Rays and Yankees are that good. I'm giving it to the Red Sox too but not reluctantly, I like them. Cubs, Red Sox, Mets. In that order for my favorites, Reds a lesser amount because they're local and might not suck this year.

I'm really hoping this is the year for the Cubs, it does look good for them.

I really want the Cubs to pull through because even though I'm not a hardcore fan of theirs, I like them. Realistically, the Jays don't look any better than fourth, but the Yankees aren't material for second, and neither are the Rays. Yanks DEPEND on Sabathia (who we saw yesterday), Burnett (who will be injured and become the next Carl Pavano), and Tex (0-4, nice!). Unless EVERYTHING is working for them, they won't get 2nd. That's why I think that any one of the three teams can take any of those three spots.

San Francisco with some really impressive offense today. Maybe we can actually expect something interesting from them this year!

My Angels are startin off good :). Just as last year showed Joe Saunders is just as much of a beast as usual. 3-0 shutout =D.

I'm really excited for us this year. Sports Illustrated has us only winning 86 games but I don't really get that especially considering all of our Inter-League games are against the NL West and we can rip them all to shreds. Plus we are in arguably the crappiest division in Baseball.

Our pitching looks just as godly as ever. Saunders was 17-6 last year. Santana went 16-6. Lackey 12-5. I'm slightly worried about Jared Weaver but if he can pitch like he did his first year for the Angels(went 13-9 or so) then that'll be great. Plus Kelvim Escobar is set to comeback and pitch again this season. Plus with the addition as Fuentes for new closer I think is good. He had 30 saves last year behind a mediocre Rockies team and with the Angels I think he'll do well. Plus we got Bobby Abreu from the Yankees and Vlad is lookin healthier than ever.

I really can't wait for more of this season. I'm so excited.

Mmmm K Rod and JJ Putz say no choking this year
How many times last year did delgado hit a homer and get the mets within one in a game last year and still lose?

K-Rod is overrated. I'm an Angels fan and although for awhile I thought he was godly because he got 62 saves he really isnt that great. Brad Lidge of the Phillies is a much much better closer.

See problematically with K-Rod last year with the Angels he would often times walk a guy or two or give up a run or a hit before he even got everyone out for the save. He makes things scary which is not a good thing.

Basically what I mean to say is that he is not lights out enough. If you watched the World Series last year and saw Brad Lidge you'd understand what I mean. It was just 1,2,3 game.

little gk

competitive oosos player
My hope is that while the dodgers coast to their NL West penant, they don't fall asleep before the playoffs. We might actually have a chance for once if we get pitching!

Well my Jays are tied for the best record in the MLB, second in runs scored, as well as first in the AL East. How long can this last? I don't know, but it better last a damn long time.

The one thing that kills me about the Jays' season is the fact that McGowan and Marcum are seriously injured. Otherwise, we've got a group of players with high ceilings: people forget that any combination of Lind, Rios, Wells, and Snider can have breakout or great years. Also, Rolen, and Hill are solid additions, and Overbay, Scutaro and Barajas aren't bad either, Scutaro especially considering he plays decent SS. We even have a great defensive infield and outfield. And lest we forget, we had dudes like... Brad Wilkerson and Stewart out in left. We will have a better offense AND if our Pythagorean record from last season is any indication, we should have had a better record considering our runs allowed and runs scored distribution. We likely won't have the same terrible luck with RISP, too.

The only problem is pitching... and beyond Halladay, the pitchers are a toss-up (even Litsch). We might get lucky though, David Purcey had a good game. We'll see how the young ones behind Halladay respond.

Okay, there's my quickly summarized Jays season preview.

Litsch was always a favorite of mine, especially after he started last season 6-0 and how he came back with an even better arsenal. I think that he'll be as automatic as Burnett, and if we can get any run support at all, the wins will be coming.

The Mets are in a very similar situation, as they also have a superb bullpen and shaky rotation at the moment, but they have more offensive potential by far.

askaninjask

[FLAIL ARMS]
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Any bets on how the mets will choke this year??
They'll probably lose their last 10 or so games.

Anyway, the Metropolitans' bullpen looks outstanding, and maybe this year the Mets will create a large enough lead that they can still choke at the end of the season AND make the postseason.

However I'm worried by the lack of scoring by the Mets. They cannot rely on home-runs to win them games.

Litsch was always a favorite of mine, especially after he started last season 6-0 and how he came back with an even better arsenal. I think that he'll be as automatic as Burnett, and if we can get any run support at all, the wins will be coming.
As automatic as Burnett? I mean, Burnett himself was never really automatic (decent when healthy though, no doubt), but I just don't see Litsch matching even that sort of performance, considering his considerably weaker pitching arsenal and his weak peripherals (i.e. he got lucky, with his relatively high WHIP, poor K/BB ratio, high BBIP, disproportionate flyout to groundout ratio, and unsustainable low HR rates considering his flyball tendencies). I predict a Litsch season meltdown; then again, he's certainly surprised thus far, but I can't help but call fluke, a la Chacin or Josh Towers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)