MLB thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Oakland signed Cuban outfielder Yoenis Cespedes to a $36MM/4yr contract today. Looks like a big risk for a guy who is pretty much an unproven Willy Mo Pena. Thoughts anyone?
Was Billy Beane kidnapped at gunpoint or did Sony want material for a sequel to Moneyball? This is so unlike the A's and it really makes me wonder what the hell they're doing... though if Cespedes is really all that the scouts say he is then this will be a massive bargain. Then again I'm sure we can all name toolsy prospects that don't pan out for whatever reason. The one thing I have to say is that Cespedes should start in the minors since he probably needs more seasoning before getting a June injury callup/September appearance (think Jamile Weeks).

Was Billy Beane kidnapped at gunpoint or did Sony want material for a sequel to Moneyball? This is so unlike the A's and it really makes me wonder what the hell they're doing... though if Cespedes is really all that the scouts say he is then this will be a massive bargain. Then again I'm sure we can all name toolsy prospects that don't pan out for whatever reason. The one thing I have to say is that Cespedes should start in the minors since he probably needs more seasoning before getting a June injury callup/September appearance (think Jamile Weeks).
I'm sure he will get MiLB time. The A's are also not going to contend this year, so why rush him up in June? I think the move is to start him at AA and work him up the ranks. Beane knows all too well the dangers of being thrust quickly through the minors.

However, I'm fairly sure that the contract time elapses in the minors anyways. That's been the bane of Cespedes. No matter how good he turns out to be, you're paying him an insane sum to be in the minors. He's going to need to hit close to his ceiling if he wants to be worth the value, and that'll be interesting for such an old import.

However, I'm fairly sure that the contract time elapses in the minors anyways. That's been the bane of Cespedes. No matter how good he turns out to be, you're paying him an insane sum to be in the minors. He's going to need to hit close to his ceiling if he wants to be worth the value, and that'll be interesting for such an old import.
It's payroll instead of using a draft pick. There is not any reason why you would rush a non-MLB ready player into a team that has no hope at all of making the playoffs. Unless Beane is trying to rush him and if he works out well trades him, I don't see the strategy. But hell, I don't get why they signed him in the firstplace...

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Nobody in this thread mentioned the '86 series, you're the first person to bring it up... Also it's really sad to hear Gary Carter died after a short public battle with cancer, my condolences to his family.

Also, goodbye Wakefield, and thanks for the 17 years you put in with the Sox. Such a classy player who always gave his all to the team.

Nobody in this thread mentioned the '86 series, you're the first person to bring it up... Also it's really sad to hear Gary Carter died after a short public battle with cancer, my condolences to his family.

Also, goodbye Wakefield, and thanks for the 17 years you put in with the Sox. Such a classy player who always gave his all to the team.

I'm not saying anyone here did, but with Gary Carter comes the '86 world series. I've been hearing about it all day, and I'm sick of it. It can't be put to bed...

I use to really love Tim Wakefield up until his comments that he made last year in which he said that Red Sox fans deserved to see him eclipse the Red Sox all time wins record. I always thought of him as a classy, hard working, often forgot about dirt dawg. Last year and that whole ego thing and his attitude with the whole "Quest For 200" thing kind of made me change my mind about him a bit.

I mean, I one year shouldn't have an impact on me for his entire 17 year career, but I always saw him as the quiet do good leader of the Sox and that kind of all changed.

aamto

on whom the three Fates smile
Will people ever shut up about the '86 world series? I wasn't alive, but I still feel the pain of it....
considering it is arguably one of the greatest WS of all time (and had one of the greatest single baseball games of the modern era), the answer is no, not until the generation that saw it and participated in it is gone. and since Gary Carter was a vital member in game 6, of course you're going to see it mentioned.

i wish i could have seen Gary Carter in person. by all accounts, he was a magnificent beast of a man.

The best World Series (Sox bias aside) I ever saw was the 2001 world series, yet I never hear anything about that ever. And that was more moving, powerful, and significant than any world series in history.

That series single handly made me a baseball fan. Yet I hear about it far far less than the '86 Series...

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I was wondering.. should we maybe split baseball into season threads like the other sports? I mean, this thing goes all the way back to 2009.

On topic, Mike Cameron has called it a career after 17 seasons. I'll always remember him as the guy who replaced my childhood favorite Ken Griffey Jr. in Seattle but he's had a fine career overall. Good luck to him in life after baseball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)