MLB thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
So next year you have: Alex Avila (second best catcher in the AL), Miguel Cabrera (top 3 first baseman in the AL), Prince Fielder (top 2 first baseman in the NL, by far the best DH in the AL), and... Victor Martinez clogging up 12.5 million per year for the next two years! Coming off an ACL tear too! You can't move any of them, so uhhhh now what?

edit: digging the Cody Ross signing a hell of a lot more than signing even more past their prime SP's (John Smoltz and Brad Penny anyone?)

J-Man is probably having a orgasm. I still don't see this team making the WS because of one fat Dh, imagine inge and company trying to drive in 2 slow as fuck people in a huge ballpark.

woah woah woahhhhh Alex Avila is good but he's not the second best catcher in the AL. Let's not give him too much credit. (oh also who the hell do you rank above Cabrera as better in 1B? Outside of your boxsoxboner, I can't imagine you ranking him lower than Texeira..)

Also, let's consider simple logic. While Prince Fielder is heck of a hitter, this was not the best way for them to improve. Why? There's only so much extra value this team can get out of its DH/1B group. You aren't likely to see many, if any extra wins for the Tigers because of this move right now simply because it's so hard to improve over the great production they got last year.

If they had this much money to spend, I'm surprised they didn't address their other needs.. not the best way to spend this money.

Oh well, doesn't matter how much value is added. They play in the central!

AS THE ROUND MOUND OF REBOUND WOULD SAY

"STRAIGHT UP TURRABLE."

Oh my god what a bad move by the Tigers...

Nine years at $23.78 big ones invested in a guy that won't be able to play defense in the next few years. Holy shit what an overpay. I'd be pissed if I were you J-man. But I'm not. So it's funny.

I totally agree with TA on this one. Too many slow fat ass DH's on one team making serious bank is going to break the backs of the Tigers next year. I hope they like playing "El Budweiser" in left field...

tennisace

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
woah woah woahhhhh Alex Avila is good but he's not the second best catcher in the AL. Let's not give him too much credit. (oh also who the hell do you rank above Cabrera as better in 1B? Outside of your boxsoxboner, I can't imagine you ranking him lower than Texeira..)
Top 3 imo are Gonzalez Cabrera and Texeira in no particular order. You could make arguments for any of them really (moreso Gonzo and Miggy). Also who is a better catcher in the AL right now? Joe Mauer? That's about it really...

I agree with the rest of your post though! Texas found out the hard way you can't win a World Series without pitching...

AS THE ROUND MOUND OF REBOUND WOULD SAY

"STRAIGHT UP TURRABLE."

Oh my god what a bad move by the Tigers...

$23.78 big ones invested in a guy that won't be able to play defense in the next few years. Holy shit what an overpay. I'd be pissed if I were you J-man. But I'm not. So it's funny.

@moi: Albert comes to mind...
Exactly, what I'm really waiting to see is where prince will play once martinez is back. Maybe they will ship avila somewhere for some left handed SP's? His worth right now is one of the premier young catchers in the MLB. What is prince going to do in the biggest CF in the mlb? I would of rather seen prince go to texas where at least he can jack 40 and have speed in andrus/kingsler. For $24 Mill a year the tigers could of signed at least Mark Buehrle to add a veteran Lhp who knows the al central like the back of his hand. It seems they are trying to go for it all with prince here, but they never had a hole at 1B and could of filled their 3B gap. Horrible signing dave, but as for Prince it's amazing. 2 Fat slobs clogging up the already heavy tigers team on a doubles park is foolish.

@ tennisace: Monterro who will win ROTY, Mauer who is an average beast with the best arm in the AL. And has everyone forgot about the best hitter of our generation? Pujols also carries a 80+ glove and is by no means a bad baserunner(COUGH COUGH CABRERRA IN THE ALCS). Texeria is definitely not top 3, more like top 10 because he is SO overpayed and hits 260. Gonzo I would say is number 2, followed by Howard.

ah, see, I let Albert slip. Mmkay, missed him. That's acceptable to consider him top three with A Gonz (probably a bit lucky last year, but still very good), Albert, and Cabrera. Cabrera's been the best pure hitter out of all three recently though, so that shouldn't be forgotten.

On the other hand, Alex Avila was fairly lucky. I can't classify as top 2 just yet, sorry. He's got competition from the all around standpoint in terms of Mauer and Wieters (finally coming into his own), and Mike Napoli is the best pure hitter out of all catchers. I'd even start to throw Carlos Santana in Cleveland out there.

ps guys he said AL only.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Hah. I wanted Fielder for the Rangers a lot but at 9 years on a 23m average or whatever it was that's a fucking rip off! The Tigers just got Boras'd, they're a lot better immediately but aren't good enough right now to win a WS. And now is theoretically their best chance! Hahahaha I can't stop laughing at their stupidity, enjoy that contract when the Fat prince is 350 lb and abusing donuts moreso at the age of 36.

Hah. I wanted Fielder for the Rangers a lot but at 9 years on a 23m average or whatever it was that's a fucking rip off! The Tigers just got Boras'd, they're a lot better immediately but aren't good enough right now to win a WS. And now is theoretically their best chance! Hahahaha I can't stop laughing at their stupidity, enjoy that contract when the Fat prince is 350 lb and abusing donuts moreso at the age of 36.
Couldn't agree more, while Prince is doing his gay ass handshakes after rarely hits a homerun, your rangers will be shaking hands after they win 90-96 with the addition of Darvish. I still don't get why they decided to deal with that giant contract, during the time one of their best sluggers is down for the season. We know they wont win this year and spending that god money for a shitty season is pathetic. Will Mitch Moreland really be able to play 1B for the entire season, or will Texas possibly sign a Derek Lee?

tennisace

ah, see, I let Albert slip. Mmkay, missed him. That's acceptable to consider him top three with A Gonz (probably a bit lucky last year, but still very good), Albert, and Cabrera. Cabrera's been the best pure hitter out of all three recently though, so that shouldn't be forgotten.

On the other hand, Alex Avila was fairly lucky. I can't classify as top 2 just yet, sorry. He's got competition from the all around standpoint in terms of Mauer and Wieters (finally coming into his own), and Mike Napoli is the best pure hitter out of all catchers. I'd even start to throw Carlos Santana in Cleveland out there.

ps guys he said AL only.
Fuck I totally forgot about Weiters and Santana, though Santana is becoming even more of a 1B/DH/Catcher in the mold of V-Mart. Napoli isn't a full-time catcher either.

As for Pujols I intentionally didn't include him because I was talking about AL last year; we haven't seen how Albert will adjust to the AL. I do agree though that if you include Pujols, miggy slips to #3.

@orbpom - the Rangers have Torrealba and Napoli at catcher, so some days Napoli will shift to first.

edit: @Mr. E - Votto? fine I admit I forgot about him.

Signing Prince Fielder for 9 years is even worse than signing A-Rod for 10 back in 07. And back to the top first baseman discussion, Fielder (ironically) doesnt field his position very well. I would say that he would be high on the list of "top hitters who play first base". To call him a great first baseman is a huge stretch. Also, Prince is moving from the fairly average sized Miller Park into Comerica. His HRs are going to go way down, and all of the Tigers fans are going to be fucking pissed off. But Scott Boras is amazing, even though i hate the man with a passion.

Monterro who will win ROTY
orbpom are you talking about Jesus Montero? Theres no way he wins ROTY, he's going to go unnoticed in a stagnant Seattle offense. And he isnt even a good defensive catcher, so he wont win any points in that category either. I was so happy when the Yanks got rid of Montero, I didnt wanna watch a player who doesnt have a real position fall on his face in NY.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I hate Scott Boras, and I hate this signing with a passion.
We may have had our differences in the past, but this quote shows that you do know baseball.

Anyway orbpom, Moreland was heading for 2.5 WAR before he hurt himself with an undisclosed injury half way through the season. My dream pretty much is as follows: Aggressively pursue Cole Hamels and Joey Votto at the end of the season (both become available next season iirc). Hamilton thinks he's worth more then he is, he's an excellent player but too much of an injury risk to give him the contract he wants. If we can get him cheaper then sure, I'd love to have him around. But otherwise see what the market gives us, pursue marquee players that are less of an injury risk and give them a chance to participate as a member of one of the best young squads in the league! I was in on Fielder for the right price but didnt want the FO to deviate from our successful business model!

if you count Pujols as "from" the NL Central, then you get Pujols = Votto >>>>>> Fielder
He may have meant Cabrera?

I dunno. I really hate the contract. However, you'll be hard pressed to find many better 3-4 punches better than Cabby-Fielder powerwise. Vmart was essentially a leadoff hitter (minus the speed) batting 5th. Prince shouldn't have many problems hitting at CoPa. There's that gap in left-center that he can shoot for doubles day-in-day-out. Heck, with the terribad pitching in the Central sans the Tigers and several hitter-friendly parks that we frequent, his numbers should be fine. This offense is gonna be a sight to behold in the next couple of years when Fielder isn't sucking. One of the actual good things out of this signing is no more Inge. Cabby loves this signing and has slimmed down and said he wants to play 3rd base. We should be fine this year. I'll be dissapointed if we don't win a WS soon.

And Beckett can't pitch with his beer and chicken hangovers. OH SNAP, I CAN DO IT TOO!!!

Actually, i've seen pictures of Cabby. He's slimmed down quite a bit. He wasn't that bad when he was a 3B, we'll see. He seems quite dedicated to the task.

ALSO

It's a weird habit of mine, i'll admit. I like to write down MLB 25 man rosters in a notebook. Is BJ Upton a leadoff type hitter or a Power hitter?

Rangers are showing interest in Oswalt. They can probably have him for about 6 or 7 million, since best deal offered to him now is from the Red Sox at 5 million.

Indians also got Dan Wheeler today. They've made quite a bit of sneaky moves this offseason and are a team to look out for in the central.

And BJ does not have the OBP and has too bad of a K rate to be a good lead off. I'd think Desmond Jennings would be the more logical choice for the leadoff. BJ has usually been a 6 or 7 hitter in the past few years because of his streaky situational power, so I'd say that would continue for 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)