MLB thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bard is "locked" in the rotation for Spring Training. If we get the Cubs to sign-n-trade Oswalt for our compensation, then Aceves will go to the 'pen. Bard has been wanting to try and start for some time and it seems they are willing to let him. Unless he completely explodes in ST, he will start the year as a starter.

And HAHAHAHAHA, fuck you Jman. XP

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah I'm pretty nervous about Bard too. He's always had "the stuff" but it's never really translated into on field success.

Last year he was 2-9 as a reliever. I know record isn't always the most telling stat for pitchers...but that means he came into the game with the lead or in a tie game, and lost it for them. Nine times. In a season where they were one game from making the playoffs. I guess it's always possible that he might turn it around but it doesn't look good.

Also, the Yankees got Pineda and Kuroda...any thoughts?

Don't make me bring up Buckner, 2003, 2009, and last year.
Whatever. 04 07. History doesn't sting as much anymore :P

@J-Man: '09 was a low blow... I kinda forgot about that until you said that...

@jrrrrrrr: Bard has had a crap load of success, it just comes in inconsistent periods. Part of that last year was the fact that he was completely overused and screwed over by our starting pitching and our weak bullpen. When you use a guy every 4 out of 5 days, chances are he is going to burn out, which he did. I agree that 9 losses is pretty bad, but that won't hurt his starting potential. What you should be concerned with is his ability to pitch into the 7th inning without burning out and being able to take a starters inning workload after not being able to handle last years innings. As you said before, he no doubt has the stuff to succeed. It's the innings that are the problem.

If you ask me, I'd expect to see Silva, Cook,Padilla(sp?), or my guy Andrew Miller up to replace him before early May. We just need to piece together guys to make starts like last year until we get to the trade deadline. If we can do that and the Big 3 can pitch to close to their potential, we will be more than good in the East.

For the record, the last time Dan Bard started a game was in the 2007 season in A+. He had a 7.08 ERA in 22 games with a WHIP of over 2 and only 5.6 SO/9. Not really much to go on because it's such a small sample size when he was only a fastball pitcher. With the circle change, slider, and cutter he has now, it's kind of a different story. Way too long ago and way to small of a sample to make any comparisons on.

I agree he may be a Joba, but he always could be a John Smoltz or a CJ Wilson. Plus, Joba never threw 100 MPH...
Right, no I completely agree. And after what Ian Kennedy did this year, I feel the need to stop trying to predict pitchers and how they will turn out.

I think in terms of comparable pitchers, Alexi Ogando is the most recent and more similar I think than any we've mention (RHP, was the setup man, throws hard, three to four offerings). Bard could be sucessful, I'm just sayin' that the AL East is very unkind to all starters, especially those young-uns.

Victor Martinez tore his ACL during winter conditioning. Uh ohhhhh. Miguel Cabrera may break the record for most IBB's ever this year.
He is the only bat they have that can legitimately protection Cabrera (Unless you think Delmon Young can, I don't) . That's a huge blow. That starting staff better be ready to step up now that the offense is pretty much a one man gig now (I mean not really, but who else in that lineup can even equal V-Mart's production?)

Also, the Yankees got Pineda and Kuroda...any thoughts?
I had like half a page on this on the page before this one, but I'll summarize:
- Pineda has a high ceiling and great potential, and that contract is really awesome. And compared to the other 4 trades made for top-of-the rotation youngsters this year (Jimenez, Cahill, Gio, Latos), it's a steal
- Kuroda will be a fine middle-back end starter, the only comfort I take in him is that he can't be worse than the two years of AJ Burnout I've had to endure

basically sums it up.

I'd expect the Tigers to sign Vlad in the next couple of days. No way they won't make a move to replace V-Mart at DH. Who knows, maybe they will go after Carlos Pena?

Fuck Karma...

So, TR texted me saying Carl Crawford is going to miss opening day. Please refrain from making fun of me J-man, I think this is lesson enough...

I'd expect the Tigers to sign Vlad in the next couple of days. No way they won't make a move to replace V-Mart at DH. Who knows, maybe they will go after Carlos Pena?
It seems like Vlad would be a definite fit. But judging by what Dombroski said (on a sound bite on Hot Stove), it seems like he'd rather take his chances with the linup he has. I think that they need to get someone like a Pena, but he probably will want more than one year.

Victor Martinez tore his ACL during winter conditioning. Uh ohhhhh. Miguel Cabrera may break the record for most IBB's ever this year.
Lol that sucks for the tigers, al central title in jepordy so i hear? He is the only person who can protect cabrera other then unreliability in bosch(sp?), inge and delmon. And your saying cabrera will have 100+ IBB?

Lol that sucks for the tigers, al central title in jepordy so i hear? He is the only person who can protect cabrera other then unreliability in bosch(sp?), inge and delmon. And your saying cabrera will have 100+ IBB?
Take how many Plate Appearances he has this year, subtract 35 for strikeouts when he just gets pissed off about getting walked and takes his chances, and that will be his walk numbers.

So I just heard on Sportscenter that Craig Counsel is planning to retire. Thoughts?
It's about time... They guy was shit last year. Good player, just doesn't have the talent to Ricky Henderson his way out of the Bigs.

I wouldn't be supprised if I saw him coaching. The guy, like Varitek and Cora, could be a reall good skipper.

At this point, I'm praying (not actually), that Mr. Illitch wakes up from a good night sleep and says "What is this I don't even... The other teams are loaded, Vmart is out, and I want to win a World Series before I kick the bucket. Screw this, Dave here's a couple extra million dollars. Go sign Vlad and Oswalt!"

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Yu Darvish came a lot cheaper then expected, I was worried he'd want a CJesque contract! Now to go sign Prince Fielder and win us that WS ^_^.

In Blue Jay land, AA has done absolutely nothing to enthuse fans of the team.
Suffering from fair weather syndrome? AA has run one of the smartest ships over the past two years. He's done a great job building a young core without overspending, and has got the farm system stacked. If everything goes right, the Jays can even make the playoffs THIS YEAR, but don't expect it. Either way, complaining about AA is pretty ignorant.

Yu Darvish came a lot cheaper then expected, I was worried he'd want a CJesque contract! Now to go sign Prince Fielder and win us that WS ^_^.
Wouldn't say Yu was cheap... With the posting and the contract, total AAV is about 18 million a year for a guy who never pitched in the bigs.

Don't think the Rangers have the funds to go and sign Prince for another 20 million...

But congratulations on the signing though. Love to see how deep Ells can launch one of Yu's "gyroballs". :]

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yes and no. Yes I'm suffering from fair weather in terms of this off season where no major moves have been made to upgrade the system (newspaper propaganda doesnt help). No because I enjoy the system he's put in place and I like the direction we're headed.

My comment was referring specifically to the current offseason.

The Star is full of shit, it's kinda frustrating. I get where you're coming from in that point. It's up to you as the reader to understand what's being taken too far.

AA got the great Santos contract for an overly hyped prospect, and got Darren Oliver fairly cheaply to sure up a bullpen that looked bad. He didn't overspend on any signings to fill lineup gaps (sosososo happy he brought back Johnson) and while it seems like he isn't spending much, I would rather not seem him overpay to get some of the other alternatives.

On the flipside, I'm all for him signing Oswalt or Jackson. The market for pitching has REALLY died down due to a lot of other teams fixing their issues with trades for young pitchers. Oswalt especially is look for 1-2 years, for 8 million a year. That's insane return on his end. Oswalt could really bounce back and bring back a good prospect in return if they aren't in the run for a playoff spot come the trade deadline, so iono, he seems like a great value at his price.

With V-Mart out, what about the Tigers possibly going after someone like the returning Manny Ramirez? He probably would be cheaper than Vlad the Impaler and could save them some money for Oswalt. Just the name Manny Ramirez could give Cabrera the little bit of protection he needs.

With V-Mart out, what about the Tigers possibly going after someone like the returning Manny Ramirez? He probably would be cheaper than Vlad the Impaler and could save them some money for Oswalt. Just the name Manny Ramirez could give Cabrera the little bit of protection he needs.
Manny is gone for 50 games you know...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)