Monotype Viability Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Conkeldurr In Fighting For A Rank (Previously Unranked/E)

SanicSpeed! (Conkeldurr) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 36 HP / 104 Atk / 136 Def / 176 SpD / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch/Stone Edge
- Knock Off/Poison Jab

Explanation

So this conk is basically gonna fill the spot that hawlucha takes up on many fighting monos. Conkeldurr leans towards a more bulky offensive approach which is supported well by some natural bulk from Keldeo and Terrakion, along with the bulk and good typing from Cobalion and Mega Gallade. Conkeldurr is my main Thundurus check as he takes a Twave nicely and hits back with a guts boosted ice punch. Another thing this conk is gonna do is it really is a great Pokemon to support Keldeo with. Psychic and Ghost are much easier to deal with if you play your cards right. Conk can eat up willo's and other status hazards heading towards the team and hit back with an insane knock off (Its notable that if they don't lead with Mega Sableye against fighting you should instantly switch to conk to basically guarantee a kill). Another thing I've found is unless they run full attack invests on like everything Conkeldurr is a great asset against dragon which can give fighting some problems. From experience I've found this to be the best conk set as I've tried some others which just failed to provide the same coverage and utility as this one.

Move 3: The option for stone edge is more there to check Charizard Y which is actually a threat to fighting along with the rest of the flying core but I personally use Ice Punch
Move 4: Knock off and poison jab are both basically coverage moves to help with weaknesses (another space where I feel conkeldurr is more useful than hawlucha) but I prefer Knock off because I feel Cobalion/Keldeo/Terrakion deal with fairy pretty well while without Knock off Fighting can't handle ghost or psychic very well.

Defensive Calcs

252+ SpA Gardevoir Moonblast vs. 36 HP / 176 SpD Assault Vest Conkeldurr: 252-296 (70 - 82.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 36 HP / 136 Def Conkeldurr: 176-210 (48.8 - 58.3%) -- 97.3% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Psychic vs. 36 HP / 176 SpD Assault Vest Conkeldurr: 229-270 (63.6 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Air Slash vs. 36 HP / 176 SpD Assault Vest Conkeldurr: 216-254 (60 - 70.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 36 HP / 176 SpD Assault Vest Conkeldurr: 342-404 (95 - 112.2%) -- 75% chance to OHKO You will most likely die but I thought this calc was relevant due to just how big of a threat gardevoir is :P
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Psychic vs. 36 HP / 176 SpD Assault Vest Conkeldurr: 289-343 (80.2 - 95.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 36 HP / 150 Def Conkeldurr: 320-380 (88.8 - 105.5%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO It's notable that conk has a chance to live and knock that sitrus berry off which is very nice.
252 SpA Togekiss Air Slash vs. 36 HP / 176 SpD Assault Vest Conkeldurr: 174-206 (48.3 - 57.2%) -- 93.8% chance to 2HKO Can hit back with a nice ice punch (Especially when guts boosted!)
252 Atk Hawlucha Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 36 HP / 150 Def Conkeldurr: 254-302 (70.5 - 83.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO Conks gonna easily live if he's the substitute set and just kill back with Ice Punch.
252 Atk Hawlucha Sky Attack vs. 36 HP / 150 Def Conkeldurr: 324-384 (90 - 106.6%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO I felt like this calc was also important as some people do run the Sky Attack set so in this case honestly you just have to hope for a roll and thats the most you can do without sacrificing another stat.
Offensive Calcs

104+ Atk Conkeldurr Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Landorus: 376-444 (117.8 - 139.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 104+ Atk Conkeldurr Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: 342-404 (114.3 - 135.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO The +1 is after guts boost.
104+ Atk Conkeldurr Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios: 268-316 (89.6 - 105.6%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO Factoring in Life Orb and rocks he's dead.
104+ Atk Conkeldurr Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Pinsir: 146-174 (53.8 - 64.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO After Rocks which we're assuming are in regular form (25%) This will put him into shadow sneak range especially if u can force out using Cobalion when he first comes in.
+1 104+ Atk Conkeldurr Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Togekiss: 268-316 (86.1 - 101.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock The plus 1 is guts assuming he Twaves on someone else and if not Mach Punch can clean up
104+ Atk Conkeldurr Ice Punch vs. 12 HP / 0 Def Hawlucha: 218-258 (72.6 - 86%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock Mach punch will get you clean up.

Major Threats

Pinsir-Mega is a major threat for obvious reasons if it uses frustration which is a guaranteed kill unless you run an insane amount of defensive investment so if he gets Pinsir in on a safe switch you basically have to switch.

Gardevoir-Mega is basically gonna kill you and force you to go into Cobalion but its noteworthy that cobalion can stay in against a regular Gardevoir (scarf) and knock its scarf off.

Slowbro should be an obvious threat. Conkeldurr is only here to knock this off and then just tank the hits until he dies so Breloom gets a safe switch.

Azumarill is a threat but not so much if you play it right. You're gonna find out pretty quick whether he's Sap Sipper or Huge Power and just play that to your advantage. In the case that he's huge power get Breloom out once conk dies and conks off and just spore. In the case that he's Sap Sipper just go into Cobalion and wall him.

Skarmory is a threat but again like Azumarill if you play your cards right there shouldn't be a major problem. Most Skarmory's will either set up Rocks or Roost depending on their health when they come in on a Conkeldurr. If Conkeldurr is below 40% however a lot of flying users will simply go for a brave bird and in this case just switch into Cobalion and Taunt him. If you're above 60 or 70% you may want to switch to Keldeo especially if his sturdy has been removed.

Extreme Physical Walls I really don't have time to go over every physical wall with an insane amount of defence but a lot of them set things up (Rocks, Curse, etc.) so you may want to switch into Keldeo because otherwise you're gonna get yourself in a very dangerous situation.

Heracross-Mega is actually a huge threat to this pokemon/team (Will be explained at bottom of post) specifically the bulky variant. Not an extremely common pokemon but if you suspect you see one you should move fast because otherwise it will just start causing all sorts of problems.

Reasoning For EV Spread

Nothing to special going on here just a decent amount of HP,SpD and Attack to take and deal some hits. The Def and Spe EVS are more specially made however. The Def is made so you have a decent chance of living Azumarills play rough as I've found that if Azu can keep that sitrus berry intact it can get problematic. The good thing here is that in the case that he's Sap Sipper you'll actually be able to live two hits and if he's Huge Power there's a decent chance you should live one and knock that sitrus berry off anyways. The speed is the final touch as you will actually out speed an uninvested Azu with that set (Azu has a base 136 with no invests and this conk has 140 this is to help still beat an Azu that might have an extra 2 or 3 for speed ties.

Reasoning For A Rank

S Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that can easily play a role against a majority of type match ups with ease, meaning it will never be useless in any matchup. These Pokemon need little to no support (which can be easily given) for them to do their job (Both Defensive and Offensive). They are easy to bring in and out, and often with little to no risk (Mostly Defensive). They can fulfill a ton of roles depending on what you need, and they surpass other Pokemon who have the same role. These Pokemon define the metagame.

A Rank:
Reserved for Pokemon that have S rank qualities, but need support (which can be easily given) in order for them to be successful. These Pokemon can play a role against most type match ups, but they may be hard walled by 1-2 types. However, these Pokemon are mostly used for one or two of their sets meaning that they can be predictable. These Pokemon influence the Metagame.

By these definitions Conkeldurr is definitely an A rank Pokemon. He is hard walled by fairy and is somewhat predictable due to a more common set being run. Despite this he plays a major role in some key match ups for fighting and gives both offensive power and defensive support for the rest of the team. He may not define the metagame but he can certainly influence it.

Final Words

Im hoping to have an RMT accompanying this post within a couple days hopefully before school starts and that will explain this post a bit more but for now i'm out. Update: So folks I just spent about an hour making this so you better enjoy.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/stop-hawlucha-rushs-fighting-monotype.3548718/

Last edited:
Ok here we go again lol.

Mega Charizard Y from A Rank -> S Rank (Flying)

With Char X now banned, Char Y gains a lot of viability since the usage cost is now lower compared to when Char X was around. It's an astounding wallbreaker, and gives weather teams a run for their money.
Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature / Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast / Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Air Slash / Focus Blast / Earthquake
- Roost / Overheat

This is a really nice special wallbreaker set that can obliterate anything in sight. With the addition of Zapdos back on flying, they now have a beastly defensive core to cover for its bad SR weakness and paper thin defense.

Mega Gallade for S Rank (Psychic)

Great addition back to Psychic teams as a potent physical boosting sweeper. Though Psychic is now probably gonna broken as hell, you really can't go wrong with the new stuff you can toy around with.
Gallade (M) @ Galladite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat / Drain Punch
- Knock Off / Psycho Cut / Zen Headbutt
- Shadow Sneak

Pretty basic set, since I am on a bit of a time constraint I won't go full depth on these sets rn. But, if you want a nice physical boosting sweeper on your team, Gallade is your guy. Coupled with great bulk, a great speed tier, on top of an amazing balanced core in Slowbro, Mew, Meloetta and/or Hoopa U, you can't go wrong with what you can accomplish.

Zapdos for S Rank (Flying)

Yay, Zapdos is back! :D Anyways, this is argubly 1 of the best defogers flying has, and it forms an amazing defensive core with the likes of Skarmory. I'm so glad this was added back to the meta. It also makes quite a great special defensive wrong, why would you not include this thing on your team?
Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Discharge
- Heat Wave / Toxic
- Defog
- Roost

Man, those were the days. This is the OG Zapdos set, and it's still highly viable. I won't explain this too much since it's fairly straight forward as a defensive wall and bulky special attacker.

Oh yea, I got 1 last proposal.

Stunfisk for God Rank (Errything)

Feast your eyes, on its amazing looks, its fat, and it's in style. Great on OG ground teams, heck it annoyed the living hell out of everyone when I was the idiot who used, it, what makes you think you can't? :D
Pancake (Stunfisk) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
Impish Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Attract
- Swagger
- Foul Play

Presenting the princess of monotype. Anttya back me up on this 1 lol. Anyways, the purpose is to annoy the living hell out of everything, and you got an 80% chance of the hax being in your favor once set up. Fuck Togekiss, bc this is the new hax god. GG WP mofos. (yes, that is the exact set I ran back in my noob days)
Tbh I want people to discuss Zard-Y and Gyarados. They're both debatable stuff, and obviously not as good / easy to use as Zard-Y but at the same time they're above average. I think Sae Sae is right, if one moves up, so should the other. So what do you guys think of Mega Gyara?

Acast

Ghost of a Forum Mod & PS Room Owner
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Tbh I want people to discuss Zard-Y and Gyarados. They're both debatable stuff, and obviously not as good / easy to use as Zard-Y but at the same time they're above average. I think Sae Sae is right, if one moves up, so should the other. So what do you guys think of Mega Gyara?
I mentioned it before, but I honestly think Mega Gyarados is the only Flying mega that should move up. It has an amazing Ice resistance and good bulk to go along with the Skarmdos core, not to mention it can sweep Psychic (a very popular type lately) with little difficulty. Mega Charizard Y is an amazing wallbreaker, but I personally think it can't do much else besides that. It also doesn't have as much synergy with the rest of its team as Mega Gyarados. As long as Gyarados is an option, I just can't see Zard Y being S rank on Flying teams.

Physical Tyranitar

formerly Marquis of Blaze
Idk about Mega Gyarados. I've seen it used a lot in Monotype Flying, but I'm not familiar with that type so I can't be sure. Mega Gyarados should stay A Rank because of this:

"A Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that have S rank qualities, but need support (which can be easily given) in order for them to be successful. These Pokemon can play a role against most type match ups, but they may be hard walled by 1-2 types. However, these Pokemon are mostly used for one or two of their sets meaning that they can be predictable. These Pokemon influence the Metagame."

Mega Gyarados fits this description. Mega Gyarados is predictable, running a Dragon Dance Set, which is the only set it usually runs. It is commonly hard-walled by Defensive Dark Teams, which sport Mandibuzz, who can taunt it from setting up, Tyranitar, who can set up hazards, meaning it will lose a chunk of its health before mega evolving, and Mega Sableye, who cripples it. The main thing holding it back from S Rank is the fact that it rarely runs any set other than DD.

Idk about Mega Gyarados. I've seen it used a lot in Monotype Flying, but I'm not familiar with that type so I can't be sure. Mega Gyarados should stay A Rank because of this:

"A Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that have S rank qualities, but need support (which can be easily given) in order for them to be successful. These Pokemon can play a role against most type match ups, but they may be hard walled by 1-2 types. However, these Pokemon are mostly used for one or two of their sets meaning that they can be predictable. These Pokemon influence the Metagame."

Mega Gyarados fits this description. Mega Gyarados is predictable, running a Dragon Dance Set, which is the only set it usually runs. It is commonly hard-walled by Defensive Dark Teams, which sport Mandibuzz, who can taunt it from setting up, Tyranitar, who can set up hazards, meaning it will lose a chunk of its health before mega evolving, and Mega Sableye, who cripples it. The main thing holding it back from S Rank is the fact that it rarely runs any set other than DD.
Gyarados can also run a Rest Talk set which kinda bops Ground and Psychic as Cast said. It also has access to Taunt so it prevents stuff like Mew from burning it and stuff. I'll let some more people say what they have to say

Vid

Our life is what our thoughts make it
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'd like to point something out Mega Lopunny is S While Mega Pidgeot is A
Either Mega Lopunny S-->A
OR
Mega Pidgeot (Normal) A--->S this option I think is most logical
Quick explanation
Overall i feel Mega Mega Pidgeot is on same level in terms of viability as Mega Lopunny because of its ability to spam stab hurricanes while out speeding all of most common fighting types that don't carry scarf. Overall this Pokemon spams hurricane and relieves staraptor of its role by killing majority of fighting types. This pokemon iIwould say is useful in almost any match i see it doing something killing at least one Poke besdies electric ofc. But overall i feel like this most logically option because Mega Lopunny is a big thereat to almost any monotype team is played right.

Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Big Pecks
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- U-turn /Defog
- Roost/Defog/Work-Up

Overview
Hurricane is main stab move to spam with ease. Heat wave is coverage move to hit Pokemon such as bisharp hard. U-Turn is a way to gain momentum. Defog is a way to get rid of hazards if Raptor does not have it. Roost is an option to gain HP . Work is an option to boost your special attack making you a very threatening force. Another option I did not put on there is hyper beam for zapdos/ other electric types.
Mega Pidgeot (Normal) A--->S

Vid

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Gyarados can also run a Rest Talk set which kinda bops Ground and Psychic as Cast said. It also has access to Taunt so it prevents stuff like Mew from burning it and stuff. I'll let some more people say what they have to say
Also Taunt Bops CM Mega Sab after it has Mega Evolved

Physical Tyranitar

Also Taunt Bops CM Mega Sab after it has Mega Evolved
These are all true, but it doesn't run a plethora of sets, as things like Landorus-Therian, Mega Charizard Y, and Rotom-Wash all tend to do.

Physical Tyranitar

Gorebyss from C Rank to D Rank
Let's be honest here, the only reason we all use Gorebyss in the first place is Shell Smash Baton Passing, which Cloyster does better, as Cloyster possesses a better offensive presence, and the newly-phased Baton Pass Clause really nerfs the poor mermaid even more. It's niche is basically destroyed, as the only reason Gorebyss was even used was to pass stats. With low speed, Special Defense, and bulk, even at +2, it can be outsped by faster Choice Scarfers. Overall, Gorebyss was a decent passer that has recently been unfortunately nerfed.

Gorebyss from C Rank to D Rank
Let's be honest here, the only reason we all use Gorebyss in the first place is Shell Smash Baton Passing, which Cloyster does better, as Cloyster possesses a better offensive presence, and the newly-phased Baton Pass Clause really nerfs the poor mermaid even more. It's niche is basically destroyed, as the only reason Gorebyss was even used was to pass stats. With low speed, Special Defense, and bulk, even at +2, it can be outsped by faster Choice Scarfers. Overall, Gorebyss was a decent passer that has recently been unfortunately nerfed.
Honestly seems fair to me just a good overall post as Gorebyss really as no place in the meta any more.

Acast

Ghost of a Forum Mod & PS Room Owner
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
These are all true, but it doesn't run a plethora of sets, as things like Landorus-Therian, Mega Charizard Y, and Rotom-Wash all tend to do.
I don't know where you got the idea that Charizard Y runs a "plethora" of sets. Almost all good Charizard Y sets are Fire Blast/Flamethrower, Solarbeam, Focus Blast/Earthquake, filller. If it doesn't run that set, it's either a new meta thing that I haven't heard of, or it's just a bad way of using Mega Charizard Y.

I don't want to be too blunt, but you seem like you haven't seriously looked at Mega Gyarados and Mega Charizard Y and compared what each of them can do for their team. Charizard Y is incredibly predictable, will always run the same stat spread, has a 4x weakness to Stealth Rock, and its ability (Drought) does absolutely nothing for the rest of its team unless you have a strange weakness to Water or you're running a lot of Fire coverage. Mega Gyarados is neutral to Stealth Rock (a godsend for a type like Flying), resists Ice (even more of a godsend for Flying), has outstanding bulk for an offensive pokemon, has a combination of abilities (Intimidate+Mold Breaker) that can facilitate sweeping quite easily or check very serious threats, and can actually run a plethora of sets, to borrow your phrase. Resttalk, DDance+3 attacks, Sub DDance, bulky support, Toxic stall. All of those sets are perfectly viable and reasonably common on Mega Gyarados. You will not find that kind of variety in Mega Charizard Y.

Last edited:

Physical Tyranitar

I don't know where you got the idea that Charizard Y runs a "plethora" of sets. Almost all good Charizard Y sets are Fire Blast/Flamethrower, Solarbeam, Focus Blast/Earthquake, filller. If it doesn't run that set, it's either a new meta thing that I haven't heard of, or it's just a bad way of using Mega Charizard Y.
You have a lot of points. You're right, the only point I was trying to make was that Mega Gyarados has a predictable Dragon Dance set.

Relaxed Dedenne

I COULD BE BANNED!
I'd like to point something out Mega Lopunny is S While Mega Pidgeot is A
Either Mega Lopunny S-->A
OR
Mega Pidgeot (Normal) A--->S this option I think is most logical
Quick explanation
Overall i feel Mega Mega Pidgeot is on same level in terms of viability as Mega Lopunny because of its ability to spam stab hurricanes while out speeding all of most common fighting types that don't carry scarf. Overall this Pokemon spams hurricane and relieves staraptor of its role by killing majority of fighting types. This pokemon iIwould say is useful in almost any match i see it doing something killing at least one Poke besdies electric ofc. But overall i feel like this most logically option because Mega Lopunny is a big thereat to almost any monotype team is played right.

Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Big Pecks
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- U-turn /Defog
- Roost/Defog/Work-Up

Overview
Hurricane is main stab move to spam with ease. Heat wave is coverage move to hit Pokemon such as bisharp hard. U-Turn is a way to gain momentum. Defog is a way to get rid of hazards if Raptor does not have it. Roost is an option to gain HP . Work is an option to boost your special attack making you a very threatening force. Another option I did not put on there is hyper beam for zapdos/ other electric types.
Mega Pidgeot (Normal) A--->S
Your set is so Original

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
You have a lot of points. You're right, the only point I was trying to make was that Mega Gyarados has a predictable Dragon Dance set.
Uhhh, not really. Even if it reveals Dragon Dance, it can still run a variety of combinations (one STAB+RestTalk, 3 attacks [STABs+EQ mostly], Sub+2 attacks, Taunt+2 attacks, etc.). Mega Gyarados is not predictable at all--and if it hasn't revealed DD, that leaves open the possibility for even more sets (such as 2 attacks+RestTalk, bulky RestTalk parashuffler with TWave/DTail, etc.). And all of these sets have the possibility of being either fully offensive with the standard 252/4/252 set, OR they can be fully bulky, OR a combination of the two, giving it good bulk and offensive pressure simultaneously. And THEN some of them run mixed, such as Fire Blast to hit Ferrothorn/Skarmory. Mega Gyarados is, in fact, one of the LEAST predictable Pokemon in the entire meta imo. You never know what set it's running, sometimes until it's too late.

On the point of Zard Y, yes it is very predictable. The physical set is more of a gimmick imo--105 Atk + Sun seems alright, but it's nothing compared to 159 SpAtk + Sun. Flare Blitz or EQ can be used as nice lures for walls such as Chansey and Heatran respectively, but a full physical set seems just subpar imo. I'd rather use better physical attackers, such as Lando-T/Mega Gyarados or Darmanitan/Victini for its two types.

Your set is so Original
If you're serious, it's really not very original, that's the standard set (although HP Ground should be slashed imo). If you're being sarcastic, this isn't the place for that, it's the standard set for a reason.

Uhhh, not really. Even if it reveals Dragon Dance, it can still run a variety of combinations (one STAB+RestTalk, 3 attacks [STABs+EQ mostly], Sub+2 attacks, Taunt+2 attacks, etc.). Mega Gyarados is not predictable at all--and if it hasn't revealed DD, that leaves open the possibility for even more sets (such as 2 attacks+RestTalk, bulky RestTalk parashuffler with TWave/DTail, etc.). And all of these sets have the possibility of being either fully offensive with the standard 252/4/252 set, OR they can be fully bulky, OR a combination of the two, giving it good bulk and offensive pressure simultaneously. And THEN some of them run mixed, such as Fire Blast to hit Ferrothorn/Skarmory. Mega Gyarados is, in fact, one of the LEAST predictable Pokemon in the entire meta imo. You never know what set it's running, sometimes until it's too late.

On the point of Zard Y, yes it is very predictable. The physical set is more of a gimmick imo--105 Atk + Sun seems alright, but it's nothing compared to 159 SpAtk + Sun. Flare Blitz or EQ can be used as nice lures for walls such as Chansey and Heatran respectively, but a full physical set seems just subpar imo. I'd rather use better physical attackers, such as Lando-T/Mega Gyarados or Darmanitan/Victini for its two types.

If you're serious, it's really not very original, that's the standard set (although HP Ground should be slashed imo). If you're being sarcastic, this isn't the place for that, it's the standard set for a reason.
I would just like to clear up the misconception that Mega Charizard Y has 105 base attack since it's real base attack stat is 104.
I have still yet to find a calc that proves that Charizard having 1 less base attack stat makes it 10x less viable since it misses out on an important ko.
obligatory /sarcasm command to show sarcasm over the internet.

Also on the note of Charizard Y running multiple sets, do you guys think a mixed set can be used?
Or will the forcing one of the stats to be a little less power to spare evs for the other attack stat make Charizard not as good?
And by mixed I mean like fully mixed, not throwing on EQ to 2hko Heatran, something with Flare Blitz as it's main STAB.

I don't really think that a mixed set with Flare Blitz would be very viable. As far as I know, you won't be hitting much harder than you would with a nice Fire Blast, and you also pay for the recoil. You do hit the occasional Assault Vest Meloetta or Conkeldurr, but Fire Blast really is just the all-around better option. As for other physical options, it has Aerial Ace, Rock Slide, Brick Break, Crunch, Outrage, and Thunder Punch. Just glancing at them, none of these really seem appealing. At the most, Charizard-Y should really only use Earthquake out of all of its physical movepool options for Heatran IMO, but even then, you still could just use Focus Blast.
Really, just the standard Fire Blast + Solar Beam + Focus Blast / Earthquake + Roost / Filler gets the job done just fine.

Also, uh, anyone try out SpD Charizard-Y? I saw it on a Flying mono awhile back, it worked nicely with Gliscor. It has WoW and enough raw Special Attack to do nice damage without much investment.

Physical Tyranitar

I don't really think that a mixed set with Flare Blitz would be very viable. As far as I know, you won't be hitting much harder than you would with a nice Fire Blast, and you also pay for the recoil. You do hit the occasional Assault Vest Meloetta or Conkeldurr, but Fire Blast really is just the all-around better option. As for other physical options, it has Aerial Ace, Rock Slide, Brick Break, Crunch, Outrage, and Thunder Punch. Just glancing at them, none of these really seem appealing. At the most, Charizard-Y should really only use Earthquake out of all of its physical movepool options for Heatran IMO, but even then, you still could just use Focus Blast.
Really, just the standard Fire Blast + Solar Beam + Focus Blast / Earthquake + Roost / Filler gets the job done just fine.

Also, uh, anyone try out SpD Charizard-Y? I saw it on a Flying mono awhile back, it worked nicely with Gliscor. It has WoW and enough raw Special Attack to do nice damage without much investment.
Mega Charizard Y Specially Defensive set is decent as long as you keep it away from hazards, but there are many bulky Flying types that can replicate the same job.

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
Machamp from C to A/B "The Underrated Threat"

Machamp @ Assault Vest
EVs: 72 HP / 216 Atk / 84 Def / 136 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch/Stone Edge
- Knock Off/Poison Jab
- Bullet Punch
REASONS/EXPLANATION:
So looking at Machamp hes basically going to a substitute for Conk but basically a more bulky one on the special defense side. Machamp is Highly offensive but he also has a decent spdef stat. Hes supported well by S-Ranked Keldeo Terrakion and Mega-Gallade all somewhat bulky pokemon whose typing duos may work well for them. Not forgetting Coballion who is usually ran on the bulky side which helps support Machamp a good amount. Hes a check to thundurus who can take his special attacks as well as his thunder wave which will just give him a boost by his Guts ability. This will allow him to just kill with a Ice Punch or Stone Edge. Not to mention he can eat up Toxic and Will-o-Wisp as well as moves like Tspikes will help.
MOVES:
Close Combat is basically there to hit hard. Since sadly Machamp doesnt get drain punch the set would be more of a take a hit and get a kill or do major damage.
Ice Punch is there to hit all kinds of pokemon mainly Flying of course. It OHKO's Lando and Thundrus pokemon you may see alot. it also can OHKO Togekiss. Also helps with Dragons.
Stone edge is mainly just a substitute to hit pokemon like Charizard Y who have been a bit of a problem for fighting teams.
Bullet Punch is there for some nice priority not to mention the nice help it has against Fairy types who can be a headache against Fighting
Knock Off/Poison Jab is more of just type coverage. all though knock off can be pretty helpful due to the items they might take away from there a opponent for instance a sitrius berry from Azu.
Defensive Calcs
252 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 76 HP / 136 SpD Assault Vest Machamp: 302-356 (88.8 - 104.7%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Mega Gardevoir Psyshock vs. 76 HP / 84 Def Machamp: 338-402 (99.4 - 118.2%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO -you might die but its nice to know
252 SpA Life Orb Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 76 HP / 136 SpD Assault Vest Machamp: 273-322 (80.2 - 94.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Gardevoir Moonblast vs. 76 HP / 136 SpD Assault Vest Machamp: 200-236 (58.8 - 69.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 76 HP / 84 Def Machamp: 212-252 (62.3 - 74.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Psychic vs. 76 HP / 136 SpD Assault Vest Machamp: 200-237 (58.8 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Latios Psyshock vs. 76 HP / 84 Def Machamp: 288-338 (84.7 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
212+ Atk Machamp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios: 272-322 (90.9 - 107.6%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO - hazard/life =dead
252 SpA Togekiss Air Slash vs. 76 HP / 136 SpD Assault Vest Machamp: 152-182 (44.7 - 53.5%) -- 34.8% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Clefable Moonblast vs. 76 HP / 136 SpD Assault Vest Machamp: 237-281 (69.7 - 82.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
212+ Atk Machamp Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Diancie: 147-174 (60.9 - 72.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 76 HP / 136 SpD Assault Vest Machamp: 320-377 (94.1 - 110.8%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Psychic vs. 76 HP / 136 SpD Assault Vest Machamp: 260-307 (76.4 - 90.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO -not even sashed
252 SpA Hoopa Psychic vs. 76 HP / 136 SpD Assault Vest Machamp: 236-282 (69.4 - 82.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Hoopa-U Psychic vs. 76 HP / 136 SpD Assault Vest Machamp: 307-367 (90.2 - 107.9%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Hoopa-U Zen Headbutt vs. 76 HP / 84 Def Machamp: 332-392 (97.6 - 115.2%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
152+ Atk Jirachi Zen Headbutt vs. 76 HP / 84 Def Machamp: 240-284 (70.5 - 83.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Meloetta Psychic vs. 76 HP / 136 SpD Assault Vest Machamp: 250-296 (73.5 - 87%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Victini V-create vs. 76 HP / 84 Def Machamp: 292-345 (85.8 - 101.4%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Victini Zen Headbutt vs. 76 HP / 84 Def Machamp: 260-308 (76.4 - 90.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Deoxys-S Psycho Boost vs. 76 HP / 136 SpD Assault Vest Machamp: 242-288 (71.1 - 84.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Mega Gallade Psycho Cut vs. 76 HP / 84 Def Machamp: 300-354 (88.2 - 104.1%) -- 25% chance to OHKO - zenheadbutt isnt 100%ohko but close

Offensive Calcs
212+ Atk Machamp Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Landorus: 384-452 (120.3 - 141.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
212+ Atk Guts Machamp Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: 350-412 (117 - 137.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
212+ Atk Guts Machamp Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Togekiss: 274-324 (88.1 - 104.1%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
212+ Atk Machamp Poison Jab vs. 12 HP / 0 Def Gardevoir: 266-314 (95 - 112.1%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
212+ Atk Machamp Ice Punch vs. 12 HP / 0 Def Hawlucha: 222-262 (74 - 87.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
212+ Atk Machamp Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Hoopa-U: 352-415 (116.9 - 137.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
212+ Atk Machamp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Meloetta: 282-332 (82.4 - 97%) -- guaranteed 2HKO-dead after rocks/priorty
216+ Atk Guts Machamp Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 274-324 (84.8 - 100.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO -if rocks break multiscale it OHKO if not chance to kill

Ev Spread
No speed Evs really needed i can already out speed Azu if not speed invested. Slowbro is slow enough to take a nice knock off to get rid of those leftovers. I put enough Attack where Machamp can do serious damage or rack up some kills. Enough Special Defense so machamp can take some hits from the threats. As well as Defense to tank some more physical hits. Unless Gard/Mega Gard runs max SpAtk then Machamp has a high chance of living a hit. So really its nothing really special its just bulk with enough attack to still make it good.

Reasoning for Rank Up
S Rank:
Reserved for Pokemon that can easily play a role against a majority of type matchups with ease, meaning it will never be useless in any matchup. These Pokemon need little to no support (which can be easily given) for them to do their job (Both Defensive and Offensive). They are easy to bring in and out, and often with little to no risk (Mostly Defensive). They can fulfill a ton of roles depending on what you need, and they surpass other Pokemon who have the same role. These Pokemon define the metagame.
A Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that have S rank qualities, but need support (which can be easily given) in order for them to be successful. These Pokemon can play a role against most type match ups, but they may be hard walled by 1-2 types. However, these Pokemon are mostly used for one or two of their sets meaning that they can be predictable. These Pokemon influence the Metagame.
B Rank:
Reserved for Pokemon that are good but they need support (which may be hard to give) for them to function. These Pokemon are used to check your counters once or twice, meaning that it cannot switch in and out repeatedly. Pokemon in this rank can have a positive type match up sometimes, but they may be useless in others. These Pokemon are adaptable to the metagame.
C Ran
k:
Reserved for Pokemon that are only used to check a threat once or twice. These Pokemon often run unorthodox sets since their primary niches are outclassed by other Pokemon. Since they run unorthodox sets some Pokemon can set up on them without fear. These Pokemon need a lot of support (which may be hard to give) for them to function.These Pokemon have a hard time adapting to the metagame.

By all the ranks shown above Machamp is currently sitting in C. Machamps aren't really running unorthodox sets and they can really pack a punch leaving it hard for pokemon to set up on them. C isnt the right Rank for Machamp. Machamp may be useless in some situations and does need some support that is easily given. Machamp can't be a S rank but that doesn't mean he can't rank up. Machamp gets necessary support from most of the standards of fighting teams. Breloom can do damage or clean up for Machamp as well as Terrakion. If he needs some extra bulk Coballion is always there. Keldeo also provides good coverage. Most of these Pokemon don't want to be statused but Machamp will take it with Joy :p. Machamp may only have 1-3 sets or so making him a bit predictable. Machamp easily falls between A or B. The only real problem is hes not used much so hes underrated. Problem? This just makes him less predictable. This is the reason Machamp should be Ranked Up

Major Threats:
Azumarill
(Huge Power) Machamp cant really take a play rough from Huge power Azumarill but its nice to note that if its sap sipper you might get a knock off or poison jab off(Breloom support needed)
Slowbro- Machamp cant really do a whole lot to him a nice knock off for the leftys but that's pretty much it(Breloom support needed)
Mega-Pinsir Machamp cant really take a hit or outspeed. Fighting teams in general have a big problem for this pokemon.
Skarmory Machamp can get walled a bit by roost Skarmory not to mention a brave bird does hurt.
Gard/Mega-Gard can do serious damage to fighting teams but Machamp can live one and deal serious damage back or even get the kill although he still will take major damage.
Ok so first of all I can't really take this post seriously, nor be bothered to read most of it, as you are completely ignoring the one and ONLY reason to use Machamp which is No Guard Dynamic Punch. As an AV Guts user it is outclassed by Conkeldurr (others in the mono room agreed with me when I asked them). It does have more SpD than Conk, but it has less HP, less Defense, and less Attack. Then, your calcs are weird. You continuously show how often it dies..? How does that support your nomination to move it higher? Also, Mega Pinsir outspeed Machamp, it will Return for the OHKO. THEN, your offensive calcs show you KOing Landorus with a 4x SE Ice Punch (woah not much can do that amirite), having Guts randomly activated against a variety of mons (in particular, if it is statused against Togekiss it will be paralyzed, you will likely get ParaFlinched, AND it will be a bulky Togekiss). Same with Meloetta, you have a SE attack against a non-physically defensive Pokemon. And if it isn't bulky, it is likely to be Specs Psyshock (in fact most of those Psychic types run Psyshock>Psychic because Chansey exists and hitting special walls is great). I simply don't think getting KOed or almost KOed by every attacker you put forward, and then showing how it OHKOs phsyically frail uninvested mons with SE attacks shows how the AV set has a niche. The only Machamp set worth using is No Guard Dynamic Punch, usually with Scarf so you can actually get a hit. The 1760 weighted stats back me up on this, with overwhelming numbers supporting the usage of Dynamic Punch/No Guard:
InfernapeTropius11: .usage1760 machamp abilities monotype
+TIBot: No Guard 98.567% | Guts 1.082% | Steadfast 0.350%
InfernapeTropius11: .usage1760 machamp moves monotype
+TIBot: Dynamic Punch 97.673% | Stone Edge 76.503% | Bullet Punch 62.758% | Knock Off 62.120% | Ice Punch 57.802% | Earthquake 18.456% | Payback 12.204% | Other 12.483%
I could maybe get behind a move to B (A is too high), but that post/set just isn't convincing at all :/ Sorry that I'm being really harsh, I just wanted to say that the set is never used, and for a good reason.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vid

Machamp @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch/Stone Edge
- Knock Off/Poison Jab
- Bullet Punch
REASONS/EXPLANATION:
So looking at Machamp hes basically going to a substitute for Conk but basically a more bulky one on the special defense side. Machamp is Highly offensive but he also has a decent spdef stat. Hes supported well by S-Ranked Keldeo Terrakion and Mega-Gallade all somewhat bulky pokemon whose typing duos may work well for them. Not forgetting Coballion who is usually ran on the bulky side which helps support Machamp a good amount. Hes a check to thundurus who can take his special attacks as well as his thunder wave which will just give him a boost by his Guts ability. This will allow him to just kill with a Ice Punch or Stone Edge. Not to mention he can eat up Toxic and Will-o-Wisp as well as moves like Tspikes will help.
MOVES:
Close Combat is basically there to hit hard. Since sadly Machamp doesnt get drain punch the set would be more of a take a hit and get a kill or do major damage.
Ice Punch is there to hit all kinds of pokemon mainly Flying of course. It OHKO's Lando and Thundrus pokemon you may see alot. it also can OHKO Togekiss. Also helps with Dragons.
Stone edge is mainly just a substitute to hit pokemon like Charizard Y who have been a bit of a problem for fighting teams.
Bullet Punch is there for some nice priority not to mention the nice help it has against Fairy types who can be a headache against Fighting
Knock Off/Poison Jab is more of just type coverage. all though knock off can be pretty helpful due to the items they might take away from there a opponent for instance a sitrius berry from Azu.
Defensive Calcs
252 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 76 HP / 136 SpD Assault Vest Machamp: 302-356 (88.8 - 104.7%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Mega Gardevoir Psyshock vs. 76 HP / 84 Def Machamp: 338-402 (99.4 - 118.2%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO -you might die but its nice to know
252 SpA Life Orb Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 76 HP / 136 SpD Assault Vest Machamp: 273-322 (80.2 - 94.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Gardevoir Moonblast vs. 76 HP / 136 SpD Assault Vest Machamp: 200-236 (58.8 - 69.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 76 HP / 84 Def Machamp: 212-252 (62.3 - 74.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Psychic vs. 76 HP / 136 SpD Assault Vest Machamp: 200-237 (58.8 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Latios Psyshock vs. 76 HP / 84 Def Machamp: 288-338 (84.7 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
212+ Atk Machamp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios: 272-322 (90.9 - 107.6%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO - hazard/life =dead
252 SpA Togekiss Air Slash vs. 76 HP / 136 SpD Assault Vest Machamp: 152-182 (44.7 - 53.5%) -- 34.8% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Clefable Moonblast vs. 76 HP / 136 SpD Assault Vest Machamp: 237-281 (69.7 - 82.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
212+ Atk Machamp Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Diancie: 147-174 (60.9 - 72.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 76 HP / 136 SpD Assault Vest Machamp: 320-377 (94.1 - 110.8%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Psychic vs. 76 HP / 136 SpD Assault Vest Machamp: 260-307 (76.4 - 90.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO -not even sashed
252 SpA Hoopa Psychic vs. 76 HP / 136 SpD Assault Vest Machamp: 236-282 (69.4 - 82.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Hoopa-U Psychic vs. 76 HP / 136 SpD Assault Vest Machamp: 307-367 (90.2 - 107.9%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Hoopa-U Zen Headbutt vs. 76 HP / 84 Def Machamp: 332-392 (97.6 - 115.2%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
152+ Atk Jirachi Zen Headbutt vs. 76 HP / 84 Def Machamp: 240-284 (70.5 - 83.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Meloetta Psychic vs. 76 HP / 136 SpD Assault Vest Machamp: 250-296 (73.5 - 87%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Victini V-create vs. 76 HP / 84 Def Machamp: 292-345 (85.8 - 101.4%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Victini Zen Headbutt vs. 76 HP / 84 Def Machamp: 260-308 (76.4 - 90.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Deoxys-S Psycho Boost vs. 76 HP / 136 SpD Assault Vest Machamp: 242-288 (71.1 - 84.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Mega Gallade Psycho Cut vs. 76 HP / 84 Def Machamp: 300-354 (88.2 - 104.1%) -- 25% chance to OHKO - zenheadbutt isnt 100%ohko but close

Offensive Calcs
212+ Atk Machamp Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Landorus: 384-452 (120.3 - 141.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
212+ Atk Guts Machamp Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: 350-412 (117 - 137.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
212+ Atk Guts Machamp Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Togekiss: 274-324 (88.1 - 104.1%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
212+ Atk Machamp Poison Jab vs. 12 HP / 0 Def Gardevoir: 266-314 (95 - 112.1%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
212+ Atk Machamp Ice Punch vs. 12 HP / 0 Def Hawlucha: 222-262 (74 - 87.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
212+ Atk Machamp Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Hoopa-U: 352-415 (116.9 - 137.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
212+ Atk Machamp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Meloetta: 282-332 (82.4 - 97%) -- guaranteed 2HKO-dead after rocks/priorty
216+ Atk Guts Machamp Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 274-324 (84.8 - 100.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO -if rocks break multiscale it OHKO if not chance to kill

Ev Spread
No speed Evs really needed i can already out speed Azu if not speed invested. Slowbro is slow enough to take a nice knock off to get rid of those leftovers. I put enough Attack where Machamp can do serious damage or rack up some kills. Enough Special Defense so machamp can take some hits from the threats. As well as Defense to tank some more physical hits. Unless Gard/Mega Gard runs max SpAtk then Machamp has a high chance of living a hit. So really its nothing really special its just bulk with enough attack to still make it good.

Reasoning for Rank Up
S Rank:
Reserved for Pokemon that can easily play a role against a majority of type matchups with ease, meaning it will never be useless in any matchup. These Pokemon need little to no support (which can be easily given) for them to do their job (Both Defensive and Offensive). They are easy to bring in and out, and often with little to no risk (Mostly Defensive). They can fulfill a ton of roles depending on what you need, and they surpass other Pokemon who have the same role. These Pokemon define the metagame.
A Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that have S rank qualities, but need support (which can be easily given) in order for them to be successful. These Pokemon can play a role against most type match ups, but they may be hard walled by 1-2 types. However, these Pokemon are mostly used for one or two of their sets meaning that they can be predictable. These Pokemon influence the Metagame.
B Rank:
Reserved for Pokemon that are good but they need support (which may be hard to give) for them to function. These Pokemon are used to check your counters once or twice, meaning that it cannot switch in and out repeatedly. Pokemon in this rank can have a positive type match up sometimes, but they may be useless in others. These Pokemon are adaptable to the metagame.
C Ran
k:
Reserved for Pokemon that are only used to check a threat once or twice. These Pokemon often run unorthodox sets since their primary niches are outclassed by other Pokemon. Since they run unorthodox sets some Pokemon can set up on them without fear. These Pokemon need a lot of support (which may be hard to give) for them to function.These Pokemon have a hard time adapting to the metagame.

By all the ranks shown above Machamp is currently sitting in C. Machamps aren't really running unorthodox sets and they can really pack a punch leaving it hard for pokemon to set up on them. C isnt the right Rank for Machamp. Machamp may be useless in some situations and does need some support that is easily given. Machamp can't be a S rank but that doesn't mean he can't rank up. Machamp gets necessary support from most of the standards of fighting teams. Breloom can do damage or clean up for Machamp as well as Terrakion. If he needs some extra bulk Coballion is always there. Keldeo also provides good coverage. Most of these Pokemon don't want to be statused but Machamp will take it with Joy :p. Machamp may only have 1-3 sets or so making him a bit predictable. Machamp easily falls between A or B. The only real problem is hes not used much so hes underrated. Problem? This just makes him less predictable. This is the reason Machamp should be Ranked Up

Major Threats:
Azumarill
(Huge Power) Machamp cant really take a play rough from Huge power Azumarill but its nice to note that if its sap sipper you might get a knock off or poison jab off(Breloom support needed)
Slowbro- Machamp cant really do a whole lot to him a nice knock off for the leftys but that's pretty much it(Breloom support needed)
Mega-Pinsir Machamp cant really take a hit or outspeed. Fighting teams in general have a big problem for this pokemon.
Skarmory Machamp can get walled a bit by roost Skarmory not to mention a brave bird does hurt.
Gard/Mega-Gard can do serious damage to fighting teams but Machamp can live one and deal serious damage back or even get the kill although he still will take major damage.
I would say B Rank for machamp at max. Also i would say that this Pokemon faces competition form conk. Tbh on my fighting team i would rather have a conk than machamp 99% of the time unless i want to play with confusion or a fun squad. Overall its niche but it is also done better by an A rank pokemon doing its job better and more effectively. I Find B or C Rank suits it best maybe B because of fighting's limited options

thesecondbest

Just Kidding I'm First
160+ Atk Abomasnow Wood Hammer vs. 72 HP / 84 Def Machamp: 169-201 (49.8 - 59.2%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Abomasnow Blizzard vs. 72 HP / 136 SpD Assault Vest Machamp: 93-111 (27.4 - 32.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
vs
160+ Atk Abomasnow Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 84 Def Machamp: 169-201 (44 - 52.3%) -- 16% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Abomasnow Blizzard vs. 252 HP / 40 SpD Assault Vest Machamp: 103-123 (26.8 - 32%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
So your EV spread sucks and misses out on some bulk. That being said Machamp is good if and only if you use no guard dynamic punch with knock off ice punch/heavy slam and bullet punch. Guts is outclassed by Conk, but No Guard dynamic punch is a broken combo which you should be abusing if at all possible. So I think since Conk is in A Machamp deserves B probably. Basically what the people above me said.
EDIT: I meant stone edge not heavy slam the only reason to use it is to abuse inaccurate moves

Machamp @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch/Stone Edge
- Knock Off/Poison Jab
- Bullet Punch
REASONS/EXPLANATION:
MOVES:
Defensive Calcs

Offensive Calcs

Ev Spread

Reasoning for Rank Up
S Rank:
B Rank:
C Ran
k:

Major Threats:
Azumarill
That was a big right up lol. Unfortunately, I think I'm gonna have to disagree. First off, dynamic punch > close combat. Second of all, you made way more calcs then you rly needed to. Next time, try show hide out. Thirdly, Conkeldurr outclasses it bae no guard, as overall it has a slight more usable movepull and better attack. C rank is fine, otherwise, welcome to smogon :)

Avalugg for B-rank.
The fact that this Pokemon is in S-rank is actually preposterous. Literally the only niche it has is that it has Rapid Spin...and it can't even spin on special attackers without basically sacrificing itself, assuming it can even survive the attack in the first place. Sure, it can survive boosted attacks from physical attackers, and this may seem impressive and all...until you consider that it can barely do enough damage to half of these Pokemon to warrant it being S-rank. Scizor sets up for days on it, as do a plethora of other Pokemon such as Mega Gyarados. Sure, you can forgo a coverage move to run Toxic, but that just makes Avalugg a sitting duck for even more threats in the metagame. Not to mention if the opposing Pokemon runs Substitute or is immune to Toxic, Avalugg is just set-up fodder.

When playing an Ice-monotype team, one of the first things the opposition will try to do is use Stealth Rock. Since Avalugg is the spinner on Ice-monotype, it will usually always be at 75% when it comes in. Because of this, it is actually a lot less impressive than it is made out to be. For example,
+2 252 Atk Mega Pinsir Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 274-324 (69.7 - 82.4%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Even if Avalugg survives this attack and manages to KO Pinsir with Avalanche, it is unable to spin, leaving the Ice-monotype team to struggle with Rocks on their side of the field for the remainder of the game. Another calc that may seem impressive at first is the following:
252 Atk Life Orb Excadrill Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 164-195 (41.6 - 49.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
This seems amazing...until you realize Avalugg will be at 75% from Stealth Rock and cannot actually switch in to Iron Head. Even if the Ice-monotype user sacrifices a Pokemon and brings in Avalugg, it will be forced to Recover. One problem with this is that Iron Head has a 30% flinch chance, and the other problem is that Avalugg is so weak to Special attacks that if the Excadrill-user switches to a Special attacker, the Avalugg-user will be forced to either switch out or sacrifice Avalugg in order to Rapid Spin. Because of its weakness to Stealth Rock and the fact that Avalugg is the Rapid Spin-user on Ice-monotype teams, it cannot switch in to many physical attackers, meaning that it cannot truly 'counter' anything.

I personally cannot comprehend how this Pokemon is not in B-rank, let alone in S-rank. It is an option for Ice-monotype teams to use, but there is no way that it should be considered a staple of the playstyle. Not to mention....you're telling me Avalugg is a Pokemon that defines the metagame? Really? Avalugg? Really?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)