np: NU Stage 1 - Welcome to Heartbreak

Status
Not open for further replies.

shnen

שוני
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, only the bulkiest physical walls - things like Tangela and Alomomola - can really take the hits that Absol can dish out, and those are easily set up on by other things. The problem is the ease with which it gets revenge-killed by faster things with Substitute and the difficulty it has switching into anything.
Tangela is surprisngly decent, providing a stop to most physcial attackers, and has sleep powder and base 100 special attack, so is not what i would call set up fodder. This is just based on the fact thta I always find him annoying to play against, i have been meaning to trst him however

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Tangela is surprisngly decent, providing a stop to most physcial attackers, and has sleep powder and base 100 special attack, so is not what i would call set up fodder. This is just based on the fact thta I always find him annoying to play against, i have been meaning to trst him however
I may just be slightly biased because I use things that laugh at Tangela like Magmortar, SubCM Mesprit and Jynx, but I can't remember it causing me serious problems ever, really.

shnen

שוני
I may just be slightly biased because I use things that laugh at Tangela like Magmortar, SubCM Mesprit and Jynx, but I can't remember it causing me serious problems ever, really.
Of course I use things that beat him, but I also pack Linoone and carracosta, whohe can easily come in on and then sleep something on the switch. While i agree he isnt great and their are many things that beat him, but I would right it off completely as a legit defensive threat. Of course, ee both use different teams (orly) so it depends.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
also, SubNP jynx also stands out as a cut above the rest due to being extremely hard to kill with its above average speed and lovely kiss. it can set up easily once something is asleep and usually take out 2-3 pokemon per match.

jynx DOES need team support though, because it is complete and utter pursuit bait

SubNP Jynx is incredible in NU, as it outpaces virtually the entire metagame with the exception of Choice Scarf users. Lovely Kiss' 75% accuracy is incredibly annoying though... I can't count the number of times I've nearly lost or lost thanks to an untimely miss. Ice is an incredibly powerful STAB to have, but I'm thinking the Psychic typing isn't really helping it :/

Anyways, I've seen a recent spike in Absol usage, has anyone else noticed? I've been seeing mostly Choice Scarf variants, and it takes me off guard quite a bit, since I'm used to LO variants. The Choice Scarf set is surprisingly good.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
jynx DOES need team support though, because it is complete and utter pursuit bait
Not denying the viability of SubNP Jynx because I do believe it is good, but how many Pursuit users have you seen? I've seen literally no Pursuit users in the 50 or so battles I've played in new NU. Unless I'm missing something, I don't really see where this is applicable. Skuntank and Absol are the only ones I can even think of, and Absol generally runs that SD/Sucker Punch/Night Slash/Superpower set.

Trick Room teams would be great down here, probably about as anti-metagame as it gets honestly, and Duosion is definitely one of the most powerful abusers of it. He doesn't have the same staying power as his older brother, but he's one of the slowest and strongest Psychic types down here, and can at least put a hole in most of the tier.

Gig's best use is on a Trick Room team, where his virtually nonexistent speed and huge attack allow him to really shine. EdgeQuake can be dangerous behind base 135 Atk, especially if it's hitting you twice before you even have a chance to kill it. I also think Gigalith is much better than Rampardos in TR; no, he doesn't have as much Atk initially, but his great bulk and access to Curse allow him to raise all of his Atk, Def, and Spe all in one turn of TR (you'd only get three turns of attacking if you did this, but it's still something to consider).

I think if you're using him outside of TR you're better of with Regirock or Golem though; Gigalith just doesn't have anything to make him better than either of those 'mons otherwise.

I'm using a gigalith outside of TR, and I find it amazing. Even though regirock has better defense, Gigalith has better attack by a base 35 and golem has the same def and 110 attack, 25 lower than gigalith's. The only thing that they have that is better is movepool and regirock has the higher defense.

But I don't really see much benefit of TR whenever I use it, so I normally stick with it outside of TR. And even then, all it needs is SR, edgequake, and Rock blast to get the job done. Rock blast is optional, and you could always run curse there.

One idea you could use is put gigalith at the start of your team so foes think that you are setting up SR, and then trick them with killing them off. I've tricked my opponents lots of times doing this.

I'm using a gigalith outside of TR, and I find it amazing. Even though regirock has better defense, Gigalith has better attack by a base 35 and golem has the same def and 110 attack, 25 lower than gigalith's. The only thing that they have that is better is movepool and regirock has the higher defense.
Golem has STAB Earthquake, and all of the advantages... and disadvantages, of a Ground type.

Regirock also has far higher Sp.Def and only 5 less Base HP [Which is easily outdone by the far hiogher defenses], and pretty much outclasses Gigalith except in Trick Room or as a Choice Bander. Regirock's far higher bulk means it dosen't need Sturdy to get up rocks.

Trick Room + Zweillous really has some potential imo. I'm going to be testing this bad boy out

Edit: FUCK HUSTLE
*ROFL*

That's really all I can say to that haha...

I've been a bit disappointed in the kind of teams I've been facing lately, lots of bulky screeners (musharna/gardevoir) and overpowered sweepers (for the tier) like Gorebyss, Absol, Linoone and Jynx.

This new hyper-offensive style has really changed how NU is played as the tier just lacks the walls to deal with it effectively.

Regirock is way better than Gigalith, plain and simple. I don't know if there's anything in this metagame that will OHKO Regirock (besides Gorebyss probably), which means he don't need no Sturdy to get his job done.

Regirock is way better than Gigalith, plain and simple. I don't know if there's anything in this metagame that will OHKO Regirock (besides Gorebyss probably), which means he don't need no Sturdy to get his job done.
Gigalith makes a better suicide lead with normal gem explosion.

Regirock is better in most cases though. Gigalith has slightly more offensive presence in a trick room, but as Golem surpasses him at that it's fairly irrelevant.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Gorebyss doesn't. Choice Specs Exeggutor, on the other hand...

Gorebyss doesn't. Choice Specs Exeggutor, on the other hand...
*shudders* that thing reminds me a little bit of Latios in OU. Anyone ever play against it? Choice Specs Draco Meteor wrecked shit left and right, and Specseggutor maintains a similar amount of power, although it lacks the speed necessary to maintain a sweep that Latios has.

You'd figure that would be the end of it, but no, this bastard has TWO ways of fixing its low speed: Trick Room and Sunny Day. Drop Eggy's speed as low as you can and slap him on a TR team, and watch as he comes in and shreds whatever's currently in with STAB Choice Specs Leaf Storm coming off a base 125 SpAtk stat.

Sun-abusing Exeggutor is even scarier than TR-abusing ones. Not only is Sun around for a longer amount of time, it also gives Exeggutor the equivalent of STAB on Hidden Power Fire. With enough Spe investment you can also outpace some of the Choice Scarfers ever-present in the current metagame.

The only thing dragging specsegg down is mediocre speed when there are no boosting factors present, and the lack of the ability to switch moves. These can be fixed by employing Paralysis support on your team and giving him a Life Orb, respectively. Para support needs no explanation, and LO offers a similar amount of power while allowing you to switch moves on the fly (at the cost of HP of course).

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Specs is best used as a slow-but-bulky mon that can punish your opponent for daring to bring in their Regirock / Quagsire / <slower mon> by making sure that something on their team goes down.

Sunny Day Exeggutor, with Life Orb and 3 Attacks + Sleep Powder, is utterly terrifying. Sun is actually fairly good at the moment, especially with the valuable addition of Victreebel.

CB gigalith is boss though. Even rock blast tears stuff up, which means that you can break the sub, and absolutely destroy.

While regirock has better defense, gigalith has higher attack. I'm not looking at who's better defensively. I'm looking for pure offensive raw power, and gigalith has that.

CB gigalith is boss though. Even rock blast tears stuff up, which means that you can break the sub, and absolutely destroy.

While regirock has better defense, gigalith has higher attack. I'm not looking at who's better defensively. I'm looking for pure offensive raw power, and gigalith has that.
Problem is so does Golem, with a second STAB, a fighting coverage move in Hammer Arm, access to a good boosting move in Curse and Sucker Punch...

Golem > Gigalith

canno

formerly The Reptile
Guys, if we're looking at offensive Rock-type purely based on their power, Rampardos wins by a landslide.

Dat 165 Attack + EdgeQuake + DAT MOLE BREAKER + a good chunk of other coverage moves + Rock Polish outside of Trick Room.

canno

formerly The Reptile
Hey guys, who's good at setting Trick Room besides Mesprit? Right now I have Banette. Mesprit, and Keckleon as my Trick Room setters, but Banette isn't doing so well, and Keckleon is starting to lose his charm. Mesprit is still amazing though. I was thinking Musharna, but I don't want too many Psychic-types on my team.

Thing about golem though, is that it's X4 weaknesses from grass and water, and the fact that it gets outsped even with sucker punch, means that it won't get that much of a chance to hit things.

Gigalith sort of has a balance between regirock and golem IMO. The typing of regirock so that it doesn't get mauled by everything, and good attacking stat. Besides, it's 25 base attack higher than golem's base 110 attk is, which means it can hit hard and with CB...... *shudder*

It has a more offensive atmosphere around it IMO.

shnen

שוני
Hey guys, who's good at setting Trick Room besides Mesprit? Right now I have Banette. Mesprit, and Keckleon as my Trick Room setters, but Banette isn't doing so well, and Keckleon is starting to lose his charm. Mesprit is still amazing though. I was thinking Musharna, but I don't want too many Psychic-types on my team.
I have found audino and misdreavus to be fairly decent, and they both conviently share thesa e typing as those you are looking to replace :)

Honus

magna carta
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Gigalith does seem like it has the potential to be decent, though I've never been particularly fond of any of the Rock Types NU has to offer. Ground does grant Golem an immunity to electric attacks, however, which might come in handy at one point, and Sucker Punch is actually a pretty big selling point of Golem, allowing it to KO weakened sweepers.

Sabinfrost said:
I've been a bit disappointed in the kind of teams I've been facing lately, lots of bulky screeners (musharna/gardevoir) and overpowered sweepers (for the tier) like Gorebyss, Absol, Linoone and Jynx.

This new hyper-offensive style has really changed how NU is played as the tier just lacks the walls to deal with it effectively.
I honestly feel like there's a balance in NU with Stall and HO. Both are viable and it's certainly possibly to deal with many of the 'overpowered' sweepers provided you prepare for them in teambuilding. You just have to play smart enough in battle so that your team can take on one threat after another while not completely falling apart. This may be easier said that done, but it's not impossible tod o.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Besides, it's 25 base attack higher than golem's base 110 attk is, which means it can hit hard and with CB...... *shudder*

It has a more offensive atmosphere around it IMO.
I just wanted to throw something out here; CB Gigalith OHKOs 4/0 Gorebyss with Stone Edge. Also KOs 4/0 Mesprit after rocks and has a chance to do so without.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)