Metagame np: Stage 9 - Shake It Off

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm being deadly serious when I say this but linoone is actually disgusting to play against, it feels similar to when I played busken-pass ages ago or just bp in general.
For those that have laddered, they know it already. For those reading this who don't know what I'm talking about, it's basically memento + linoone with hazards.
Sounds simple enough right? it's just disgusting in how it works and I am actually questioning the competitiveness of this certain tactic.
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/nu-293715817
replay of it against Orphic.
Even if you kept max hp everything, it just tears apart the most common of defensive walls.
+6 252+ Atk Linoone Extreme Speed vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Vileplume: 306-360 (86.6 - 101.9%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+6 252+ Atk Linoone Shadow Claw vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Musharna: 356-420 (82.2 - 96.9%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+6 252+ Atk Linoone Seed Bomb vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Rhydon: 584-688 (141 - 166.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I'm sure this may become more popular, but I just wanna make it known that it is way too god damn easy to sweep with it, even for basic players and plays to be made. It's so easy that it's painful...
Basically end result of this post is to potentially suspect it in the coming weeks if it becomes more popular, it's way too easy and disgusting...

I'm being deadly serious when I say this but linoone is actually disgusting to play against, it feels similar to when I played busken-pass ages ago or just bp in general.
For those that have laddered, they know it already. For those reading this who don't know what I'm talking about, it's basically memento + linoone with hazards.
Sounds simple enough right? it's just disgusting in how it works and I am actually questioning the competitiveness of this certain tactic.
Even if you kept max hp everything, it just tears apart the most common of defensive walls.
+6 252+ Atk Linoone Extreme Speed vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Vileplume: 306-360 (86.6 - 101.9%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+6 252+ Atk Linoone Shadow Claw vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Musharna: 356-420 (82.2 - 96.9%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+6 252+ Atk Linoone Seed Bomb vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Rhydon: 584-688 (141 - 166.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I'm sure this may become more popular, but I just wanna make it known that it is way too god damn easy to sweep with it, even for basic players and plays to be made. It's so easy that it's painful...
Basically end result of this post is to potentially suspect it in the coming weeks if it becomes more popular, it's way too easy and disgusting...
One thing you dont note is that it is just as easy for the person facing linoone to stack hazards as it is for the linoone user to stack hazards. Linoone is a threat im not arguing that however it is managable like any other threat. It just may be difficult to play well around since most people dont have experience facing it

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Uh not to really discredit Orphic or say that Linoone is bad, but I don't think that replay really shows how Linoone is broken? Orphic had plenty of checks to it from the start of the game, but his opponent played well and whittled them throughout. Archeops takes espeed from full, Sawk's sturdy was broken, Vileplume was whittled, and potential Aftermath fodder with Skuntank was no longer an issue.

I think the tier is quite prepared for Linoone. Defensive Mawile, Garbodor, Weezing, Mismagius, Misdreavus, Gurdurr, and Klinklang are just a couple of the mons I can think of off the top of my head that can pressure a +6 Linoone and that's not counting sash mons and the mons that can still beat it after a -2 from Memento. Linoone is certainly a fine sweeper, but this isn't PU where there's a distinct lack of reliable Normal resists. It functions like any other win con: if you whittle its checks it's going to be a threat.

Uh not to really discredit Orphic or say that Linoone is bad, but I don't think that replay really shows how Linoone is broken? Orphic had plenty of checks to it from the start of the game, but his opponent played well and whittled them throughout. Archeops takes espeed from full, Sawk's sturdy was broken, Vileplume was whittled, and potential Aftermath fodder with Skuntank was no longer an issue.

I think the tier is quite prepared for Linoone. Defensive Mawile, Garbodor, Weezing, Mismagius, Misdreavus, Gurdurr, and Klinklang are just a couple of the mons I can think of off the top of my head that can pressure a +6 Linoone and that's not counting sash mons and the mons that can still beat it after a -2 from Memento. Linoone is certainly a fine sweeper, but this isn't PU where there's a distinct lack of reliable Normal resists. It functions like any other win con: if you whittle its checks it's going to be a threat.
I'm not going to discredit how his opponent played either and that replay is just a small example of how easy it is to use linoone. Simply put, it's impossible to keep all your checks to linoone at 100% throughout the game, especially when hazards are a thing.
Secondly, defensive mawile + klinklang are the only mons I can see avoiding the oh ko after hazards, but even then not every team can afford to run a steel type, since they're not exactly that splashable whilst you may also want to keep klinklang healthy for sweeping, it's forced to check linoone. Misdreavus is non existent in NU so I don't agree with that. Mismagius + rotom are an option yes, but skunk can easily be paired for trapping of ghost types, hence making easy sweeps available.
+6 252+ Atk Linoone Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Gurdurr: 291-343 (77.8 - 91.7%)
+6 252+ Atk Linoone Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Weezing: 243-286 (72.7 - 85.6%)
+6 252+ Atk Linoone Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 160+ Def Garbodor: 340-402 (93.4 - 110.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Don't take this post the wrong way, I'm sure there are many ways and stops to linoone on paper. But in a game situation, it's extremely hard to stop, especially if a team is built around it like busken-pass. And I can already sense that this idea of monitoring linoone is unpopular, but at least use it or play against it first before you comment.

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm not going to discredit how his opponent played either and that replay is just a small example of how easy it is to use linoone. Simply put, it's impossible to keep all your checks to linoone at 100% throughout the game, especially when hazards are a thing.
Secondly, defensive mawile + klinklang are the only mons I can see avoiding the oh ko after hazards, but even then not every team can afford to run a steel type, since they're not exactly that splashable whilst you may also want to keep klinklang healthy for sweeping, it's forced to check linoone. Misdreavus is non existent in NU so I don't agree with that. Mismagius + rotom are an option yes, but skunk can easily be paired for trapping of ghost types, hence making easy sweeps available.
+6 252+ Atk Linoone Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Gurdurr: 291-343 (77.8 - 91.7%)
+6 252+ Atk Linoone Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Weezing: 243-286 (72.7 - 85.6%)
+6 252+ Atk Linoone Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 160+ Def Garbodor: 340-402 (93.4 - 110.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Don't take this post the wrong way, I'm sure there are many ways and stops to linoone on paper. But in a game situation, it's extremely hard to stop, especially if a team is built around it like busken-pass. And I can already sense that this idea of monitoring linoone is unpopular, but at least use it or play against it first before you comment.
My point is that his opponent had to play well to get the sweep with Linoone. Orphic had answers to it the entire battle, but nowhere in that battle did Linoone or Jumpluff suddenly invalidate all of them by virtue of its accused "brokenness." Yeah, with well played Pursuit and Spikes support, most set up sweepers will become dangerous, but it's up to both players to play their teams to the best of their abilities so that doesn't happen.

With proper team support and the right conditions, most of our set up sweepers can just win. For example, Vivillon threatens to OHKO the majority of the tier with one turn of set up, Stealth Rocks, and a layer of spikes up and it's especially effective if it has Defog support behind it because it can run a Focus Sash. The problem is that it's HARD to get that turn of set up even with a great way of neutralizing the opponent (IE: Sleep Powder, much like Jumpluff's Memento support) and even when you are set up, your opponent either loses or has an answer that they've preserved all game for it. If I let my opponent take out my priority users and I lose the hazard game, yeah, Vivillon is going to destroy me much like how a Linoone would destroy me if I let my Gurdurr get weakened or I allow Jumpluff to Memento a mon that allows Linoone a free turn of set up.

I'd love to see more Linoone play, but I'm far from convinced it's remotely suspect worthy right now.

I think if you're able to effectively use Linoone, you'd be able to do just fine with just about any other set up sweeper. We certainly have a bunch of potent ones (Viv, SD Samu, Lilli, etc.) Linoone is definitely interesting, and I do think it's gotten better within the past month or two. Normal spam in general is great at the moment. I'd be pretty happy to see a normal spam team featuring Linoone where it breaks a few common normal type switch ins to make way for something like Zangoose/Swellow to clean up. I've been running it quite a bit and it's pretty fun, but I do feel like I'm making my job harder by using it. I rather use something else. With all the ways to generate free turns essentially, you have a ton of sweepers you can choose from. A Linoone sweeper is super all or nothing, and if you build your team around it and your plan fails then you're really left with nothing, where as stuff like I posted above you can splash them pretty easily and still have plenty of room to prepare for things going wrong.

I think if you're able to effectively use Linoone, you'd be able to do just fine with just about any other set up sweeper. We certainly have a bunch of potent ones (Viv, SD Samu, Lilli, etc.) Linoone is definitely interesting, and I do think it's gotten better within the past month or two. Normal spam in general is great at the moment. I'd be pretty happy to see a normal spam team featuring Linoone where it breaks a few common normal type switch ins to make way for something like Zangoose/Swellow to clean up. I've been running it quite a bit and it's pretty fun, but I do feel like I'm making my job harder by using it. I rather use something else. With all the ways to generate free turns essentially, you have a ton of sweepers you can choose from. A Linoone sweeper is super all or nothing, and if you build your team around it and your plan fails then you're really left with nothing, where as stuff like I posted above you can splash them pretty easily and still have plenty of room to prepare for things going wrong.
I disagree with the main sentements of this post. What makes Linoone scary to anyone who has played it isnt the fact its a "scary settup sweeper" but infact, its instawin capability. Technically, Belly Drum + Extreme Speed is the most efficient Cleaning Mechanism possible in Pokemon, since if you get a free Turn, you are gonna hit something with a +6 Extreme Speed at the very least. It also has the capability to break normal checks with Seed Bomb (for like Rhydon) and Shadow Claw (for assorted Ghost Types), but in these scenario, Linoone shouldnt be breaking for Swellow or Zangoose to "clean up". You can use this mechanic in effect as a wallbreaker, but generally, its much more efficient to keep Linoone around, and try and get it in for a free switch, and attempt to settup a +6 ESpeed after Zangoose and Swellow in the scenario you've mentioned, have broken walls for it. Linoone isnt comparable to the likes of Vivillion, SD Samurott and Lilligant since those assorted pokemon can be checked by Pokemon that dont resist their respective coverage move. For Example, Vivillion can be checked by Magmortar after an QD, Samurott can be checked by a plethora of Physical Walls such as Weezing / Garbodor / Quagsire none of which resist its stab + main coverage in Megahorn, and Lilligant by the likes of Miltank (although that can be considered a resist because of ability.) If you dont happen to carry a proper normal resist such as Klinklang, Rotom and Mismagius which can take on Linoone admirably or a one time check such as Gurdurr at no less than 100% HP, Linoone will sweep through your team, simply because +6 ESpeed is that difficult to refute. This is why i hold this sentiment to keep it towards the late game, because these one time checks like Gurdurr can have damage put on them, and "counters" like Klinklang can have similar done to them. The end result, should you find the settup oppurtuinity and have weakened these limited one time checks enough is a guranteed win, the only way you can revenge kill it is by sacking a mon, then using fake out, then sacking a mon, you get the idea.
tl;dr; dont reference Linoone as a wallbreaker for OTHER normal mons to sweep, when it has the best "cleaning" moveset you could possibly hope for. It triggered this post

After that rant, i guess i should voice my own opinions on Linoone. I was heavily involved in PU when Linoone was suspected and when i was playing PU at that moment, it really struck me how freaking deadly this mon is. It was incredible to see the same teams built by the same good players just be blown back by one pokemon and after its ban, my attention on it immediately shifted to how it could perform in an NU meta. I settup the team in the same way i did in PU, give Linoone a normal type to work with and help break down Linoones own checks, gave them screens, gave an offensive stealth rock setter as well as several other NU meta threats and mesh them together with some memento support. I didnt have very high hopes for the team itself, but results surprised me, alot. Linoone was extremely capable as a cleaner. At +6, it savaged common Balance Builds as well as the more common Offensive Builds. Part of what made Linoone so great in PU was the lack of bulky one time checks PU had to it, and the offense teams would just drop to it should you not carry an extremely niche counter. I saw some of that when i used it in NU. Common Offensive teams stood absolutely no chance (unless they carried Mismagius or Rotom and kept it healthy despite my best efforts throughout the match) and balance teams didnt often carry an offensive Normal Resist such as the afformentioned Pokemon. They instead relied on Rhydon and possibly Gurdurr to make out as their Linoone checks. Despite these overwhelming + points and advantages on paper, Linoone isnt suspect worthy for a few reasons.
  • Its so freaking hard to set it up to +6, some games its not even worth trying. My biggest gripe with the mon, by the time you've wasted two mons getting memento + screen support, and not cleaned with Linoone, your down to essentially 3 mons to win you the rest of the game. This is all fine and irrelevant if your opponent isnt running a Linoone check, however, if he is, and plays it well enough, you are boned lol. Because of all this support required, you are putting all of your eggs in one Linoone shaped basket. If it fails, most likely, so will you.
  • Deadweight without appropriate screens / memento support. This kinda ties in with the above point. If you arent running screens or memento, its almost playing with 5 mons. Its so weak before Belly Drum and so frail all the time an extremely effective tactic is to just sack whatever it can settup on, and whenever it comes in, stay in, and kill it with appropriate move. Its how i found myself beating most Linoone based teams (With no Screens) and how i was losing with a Linoone team, without screen support to back it up. It just doesnt get the oppurtuinites like other mons, and because there is no initial threat from Linoone, its extremely easy to stop in its tracks. I found myself wanting Kanga / Tauros more often than not, if i wasnt using screens
  • Final Point; its too matchup based. Yay! You've successfully belly drumed on something and are now at 50% HP with a +6 Linoone behind screens, now what? Linoone should clean at this point if you look at the effort spent to get it an oppurtuinity to settup, alas, it is to be scuppered by a plethora of One Time Checks like Kabutops, Klinklang, Gurdurr, Rotom or Mismagius, Fake Out Shenanigans by the likes of Kanga / Hariyama or just full on counters, which beat you one on one, such as Ferroseed carrying Gyro Ball. All of this makes Linoone so much less consistent than it was in PU, and as a result, a completely different animal in NU.
In conclusion, Yes, Linoone is definately not worth the bother of suspecting. Its matchup based, relatively easy to stop, has a plethora of OK checks you can run. But; and this is a huge BUT. Its still capable of cleaning teams outright should they not be carrying a way to stop it. It reminds me a lot of XY NU Slurpuff in the fact that, once its settup, you NEED a steel type to stop it. No steel type? No bueno, you get swept boy 9/10 times. The same applies to Linoone, no espeed resist? Sayonnara Sucker! In general, not enough people are bothering to run this crutch espeed resist because of how rare Linoone is.
Overall, its definately definately underappreciated. A huge sleeper mon in NU at the minute and should definately be given more credit than it currently is. Its as close to "an autowin" we are ever gonna get, sure it needs support, but that autowin bd + espeed combo is really not something to ignore.

Last edited:
I agree with what you're saying; I do think that Linoones best role is end gaming clean up I just expressed interest in a normal spam team w/ it breaking shit but yeah you pretty much disproved the things I said w/ facts and I was wrong, my bad! You've got more experience with it than me tbh.

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
hjad wrote more in 1 post than i ever did contributing to this forum

what do you guys use to deal with barrier + cm musharna in this meta? its been getting lots of hype and kids in the elite nu skype group seems to think the sleeping horse is broke

what do you guys use to deal with barrier + cm musharna in this meta? its been getting lots of hype and kids in the elite nu skype group seems to think the sleeping horse is broke
taunt, phasing and frost breath ice types

I would think that, especially if it has Stored Power as it's only offense move, any Dark type can come in for free and Toxic would be a death knell for it.

Barrier Musharna is one of the most matchup dependent sweepers in the tier. Basically if your opponent has no dark type you win, but if they do then Musharna is close to useless unless your opponent screws up badly or you outplay them super hard. Honestly I can't consider a pokemon that is dead weight in at least 50% of matchups broken at all.

Barrier Musharna is one of the most matchup dependent sweepers in the tier. Basically if your opponent has no dark type you win, but if they do then Musharna is close to useless unless your opponent screws up badly or you outplay them super hard. Honestly I can't consider a pokemon that is dead weight in at least 50% of matchups broken at all.
Well having a dark type isn't always a 100% guaranteed way to stop barrier mushy since it can easily stall out things like LO shiftry and special skunk after a barrier/2 calm minds respectively depending on its EV spread.

Ren-chon

Lifesbane, 36 layers. How does it look?
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
Shiftry only wins if he has a boosting move, and Special Skuntank just straight out loses. That leaves the list of Dark-type counters THAT ARE STILL GOOD OUTSIDE OF THIS ONE JOB to Malamar, SD/NP Shiftry, Skuntank and Liepard, while the last 3 will be getting a lot of residual damage through the match due to the lack of recovery (unless BSludge skunky and Lefties Liepard, both uncommon). Yes, he may not have a good matchup in a lot of matches (I'd hardly call it 50% though), but the problem is that YOU HAVE to keep your counter healthy, or you just lose. You most of the time can't play around it: you either counter it or you may as well forfeit, because all Mushy needs is a single turn to roll over your team. Other than the dark-types I mentioned, the only other answers are like Band Scyther, random mons with Toxic (forget about it if your opp has Heal Bell support), tricking it a choice item, taunting it before it boosts (but more often than not it grabs a CM before you can stop it) and maybe Ferroseed. That might seem a lot of checks, but when you play against one you notice they're not that reliable. Also, it's so freaking bulky that even if he's useless offensively in a match it'll still do its job tanking hits. All in all, you either counter Barrier Mushy or you lose, but this "50-50" allied with the fact that we do indeed have viable counters are what makes it really good, but broken? No way.

Don't get it as an "you are completely wrong!!!111!" post, because tbh I agree with most of it as an avid CM Barrier Mushy user. It's really matchup reliant and sometimes you feel you're playing 5v6 (my g2 and 3 vs shane in nu open shows that. He had seed and skuntank, meaning Mushy couldn't do shit the whole match), I just disagreed with your point that it's useless in 50% of the matches and decided I could as well throw some thoughts about it. I think of Mushy as an A+ rank mon with one S rank set.

Honestly it isn't even that deadweight against dark types. Even if they have a trapper, if you aren't 100% sure they are going to bring it in on Mushy first turn just barrier up to be safe and if they come in hard switch out to your dark check cause they wont be doing shit. If you follow this process it should just be an endless loop till either the dark type is worn down or mush is worn down by hazards or the opponent gets siked and makes a mispredict. I'd argue if the opponent has no dark type they outright lose, while if they do and you play well it's at worst a 50/50

the biggest problem w/ mush is that even tho its sets only usually vary a moveslot or 2, they still have completely different answers depending on the set. like you might switch in your malamar trying to check the barrier cm or cm t-wave sets only to get popped by a signal beam. you switch in something like klink expecting cm 2 attacks, it barriers up, you get boned. you switch in scyther or a fast taunt user to try and check barrier or cm 2 attacks and you get mexican'd by t-wave etc.

the best way to deal w/ mush rn is through status users, and even then teams can have heal bell support, and if toxic users become common enough we might see a return of cm heal bell mush (even tho i think its the worst set rn). there are other ways to play around it, that aren't super common to where barrier cm isnt just a complete win against teams w/o a dark type (phasing, sleep, weather hindering moonlight, haze, taunt, generally just wearing it down w/ hazards and just hitting it hard), but it still takes a p large amount of playing around and taking the time in the teambuilder to deal w/ it.

i think i'll elaborate a little more on the linoone business for real this time (free the memes from mod oppression :[ ). having played against it earlier today, its definitely a scary strat to go up against, esp when you have a whole team designed making it succeed. that being said the biggest reason why its not really a banworthy strat is just because you get 1 shot at sweeping, if you miss your chance, then you pretty much lose. for example in the game i played today, i lost cause i thought that hariyama could still do enough damage through screens and memento, when all i had to do was go into rotom on the memento and the linoone was boned. i ended up losing the game, but it put me in a very winnable situation in a game where i had no steel type. you have to get everything right just before linoone sets up, which makes it really inconsistent. even then, all the stuff that's been previously mentioned, even common stuff like garbodor (that i havent seen anyone mention which really bones linoone) handles it pretty well, it just doesnt seem like a completely dangerous and uncompetitive threat that its made out to be.

e: sg using twitch emotes in your posts is just awful, i expect better :pirate:

I'm going to post some updated thoughts on linoone just because I have a better feel for it now after using it and "testing" against many of the top players in the tier who brought competitive teams.
The first thing that went through my head when seeing an opposing team was "how do they stop linoone" and most of the time, it was through something like garb, skuntank, hariyama, rotom etc etc but there were extremely easy ways around it and it's almost cookie cutter in how it works. In many ways and examples, I can basically go through a "routine" if it were for me to use it and setup freely, which with screens + memento support, it happened in every game I played. Even if they had a rotom, it struggles hugely against a skuntank which I was using and most of the time, i managed to trap it easily. Even then, linoone does enough damage to their team to the point where if you have 1-2 free slots on your team, you can still win the game easily. And for the 60-70% of players I played against who didn't have anything for linoone at all, well it was rip from turn 1.

I don't think linoone on its own is broken, i think that linoone has its own playstyle. It's the new smashpass, baton pass, whatever you want to call it. It's basically the easiest win you're going to get ever. The similarities are still there in the fact that linoone does have answers, some of them may be good pokemon to use in this tier as well, but there are a very few amount imo. By carrying sub on linoone, i was able to set it up freely on everything I memento'd on, dodge'd status and I was able to dodge fake-outs from hariyama in this occasion. So by carrying this move alone, it limits linoone's answers to solely ghost types / sturdy sawk with sturdy still in tact or even sash'd mons. Things like garb didn't do enough damage with aftermath to stop linoone and with the team support i was using, hazards never went up on my side of the field.

All in all I can come to a few conclusions.
1, linoone is cheap af and it's basically a new form of smash-pass that's imo harder to stop.
2, people who were bashing linoone should really play with it and see how easy it is to use.
3, it's not broken, it probably shouldn't be banned, but you should really consider using it before you judge my comments.
It's honestly disgusting to play against it when you have a team that does well vs 99% of the meta but you don't have a ghost type to stop it.

Personally I think that Mr.Mime could be a good check to Sawk because of it can outspeed Sawk and KO with a Psychic. It also takes 1/4 resists Fighting and The Mime has good coverage attacks like Thunderbolt and Shadow Ball. It could also run a Nasty Plot Set or a Calm Mind Set or a Scarf/Trick Set.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Personally I think that Mr.Mime could be a good check to Sawk because of it can outspeed Sawk and KO with a Psychic. It also takes 1/4 resists Fighting and The Mime has good coverage attacks like Thunderbolt and Shadow Ball. It could also run a Nasty Plot Set or a Calm Mind Set or a Scarf/Trick Set.
252 Atk Choice Band Sawk Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mr. Mime: 101-119 (45.7 - 53.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

It can only switch in one time, but at least it outspeeds Sawk and kills it with Psychic.

252 SpA Life Orb Mr. Mime Psychic vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Sawk: 406-478 (139 - 163.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

The problem with mr mime is it finds itself out competed by jynx offensively (who has higher speed, a better stab, great coverage, and lovely kiss) and on the bulky side by mesprit(bulkier, stronger, better supportive move pool, u-turn). Dazzling gleam stab honestly isn't that impressive so it's p hard for like to catch a niche

The problem with mr mime is it finds itself out competed by jynx offensively (who has higher speed, a better stab, great coverage, and lovely kiss) and on the bulky side by mesprit(bulkier, stronger, better supportive move pool, u-turn). Dazzling gleam stab honestly isn't that impressive so it's p hard for like to catch a niche
Yeah but Jynx has lower bulk and more weaknesses and it cannot switch into a Close Combat because it is only damaged normally by it opposed to Mr.Mime's 1/4 resistance and Jynx is weak to stealth rocks.

Merspirt is a great Pokemon but Mime is a better Sawk counter becaus it's faster than Sawk unlike Merspirt as Merspirt could get KO by Sawk's Knock Off.

The Diabolic Gift

Banned deucer.
I think Sawk is pretty broken right now in Neverused.
Can you give me a legitimate scenario where a non-choiced sawk does not get a free kill as a lead?
Sawk’s Combination of Sturdy and having absolutely no counter even without running a band make it the scariest Pokemon in NU.
The problem with Vileplume is that it can’t provide the damage to actually beat sawk and even if it could then it would still not break it’s sturdy. Sleep Powder could work but if Sawk uses taunt Vileplume can’t survive 2 zen headbutts. Scyther seems like a good idea but it’s unable to break sturdy and if it were to pivot out to try and break sturdy it would risk not only coming in on rocks but it would risk the switch in fainting as well. Even if Scyther does manage to get Sawk to the point that it is able to KO sawk, sawk simply can switch out. Pyroar, Archeops, Swellow and Jynx could have OHKO’d but due to sturdy still will get defeated by sawk. Even more proving sawk has “a free kill”, poison types like Gardobor and Weezing sure can switch into a CC but in both cases cannot even OHKO the sawk at -1 and you lose a mon anyways. Rotom-S and Pelipper cannot handle stone edge and fail at beating Sawk 1v1 as long as it doesn’t run taunt. All psychic types cannot OHKO because of sturdy and either are OHKO’d or are slower than sawk and cannot take 2 hits.

I think Sawk is pretty broken right now in Neverused.
Can you give me a legitimate scenario where a non-choiced sawk does not get a free kill as a lead?
Sawk’s Combination of Sturdy and having absolutely no counter even without running a band make it the scariest Pokemon in NU.
The problem with Vileplume is that it can’t provide the damage to actually beat sawk and even if it could then it would still not break it’s sturdy. Sleep Powder could work but if Sawk uses taunt Vileplume can’t survive 2 zen headbutts. Scyther seems like a good idea but it’s unable to break sturdy and if it were to pivot out to try and break sturdy it would risk not only coming in on rocks but it would risk the switch in fainting as well. Even if Scyther does manage to get Sawk to the point that it is able to KO sawk, sawk simply can switch out. Pyroar, Archeops, Swellow and Jynx could have OHKO’d but due to sturdy still will get defeated by sawk. Even more proving sawk has “a free kill”, poison types like Gardobor and Weezing sure can switch into a CC but in both cases cannot even OHKO the sawk at -1 and you lose a mon anyways. Rotom-S and Pelipper cannot handle stone edge and fail at beating Sawk 1v1 as long as it doesn’t run taunt. All psychic types cannot OHKO because of sturdy and either are OHKO’d or are slower than sawk and cannot take 2 hits.
I think you're overestimating sawks power when not choiced. Although sawk is very good in this tier, it doesn't centralize the meta as much as you seem to think imo.

Plume will more than likely live two zen headbutt's if it's lum and not ebelt 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Sawk Zen Headbutt vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Vileplume: 150-178 (42.4 - 50.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery, and colbur gourgeist-super is also a very solid check with colbur berry too. Also, weezing will also more than likely live two zen headbutts, even when ebelt is the item 252+ Atk Expert Belt Mold Breaker Sawk Zen Headbutt vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Weezing: 144-170 (43.2 - 51%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery. Musharna is also a very big threat in the tier at the moment, and can also live two knock offs, with or without colbur berry if it is fully defensive.

Sawk is a little on the slow side (when in comparison with other common offensive mons in the tier), meaning mons you have mentioned like scyther, swellow etc. can easily play around sturdy if sawk is the chosen lead.

It has also become very common for teams to have more than one phys def wall or switch in due to the lie of the meta atm. This means non-choiced sawk struggles with the power to break this. And if it isn't lead with, most players would prioritize rocks to make sure sturdy is broken for an easy kill with faster mons previously mentioned. Also, you mention jynx as being OHKO'd, however this can also be used as a shaky check due to lovely kiss.

Overall I have to say I agree that sawk is a big threat within the NU tier but it isn't broken in my opinion due to several defensive checks which deal with the choiced or non choiced sets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)