Project OU Theorymon [Voting: Check Post #3272]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will say that if we hadn't changed Avalugg's initial type change in the other thread, it wouldn't even be one the slate because it would have beat out Poison/Steel Weezing. Mono-Steel Avalugg is just so damn good; it just has no flavor :(

While YES, Avalugg has two very real weaknesses, it's not like it's useless. It can still switch in on resisted hits and reliably spin hazards away. It also has recovery to stay healthy and keep spinning--something that Mega Blastoise would absolutely KILL for (probably the main thing holding it back). The rise in Magnezone does really hurt Avalugg though. For that reason, I won't be voting for it.

I think we might be overstating how good CM Jirachi will be. Yes, it has fantastic typing to switch in and set up with; however, it has a very middling Base 100 SpA and Speed. On top of that, the prominence of ExcaTar hurts its ability to sweep, and the recent surge in Magnezone will mandate the use of HP Ground (or else you are hopelessly trapped and killed).

I'm currently on the fence as to whether my vote is going to Abomasnow or Jirachi/Dusknoir (I slash it because I'm flip flopping which one I need to weed out before I make my final decision). I really, REALLY like the idea of us buffing Trick Room as a play style by giving it a powerful Wallbreaker/Sweeper in Abomasnow. On the other hand, Jirachi and Dusknoir are both excellent submissions. Dusknoir has a very specific niche in OU, but it's very effective; Jirachi gets a more general buff that allows it to do its current jobs much more effectively (I'd say the scarf and defensive sets will be the most viable).

I just don't see much point buffing a mon that is already currently viable in the meta atm than ones that aren't so (well, one making it even more viable) but that's just me. Still happy with the slate overall but Abomasnow :D

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ice / Steel Avalugg: Remember when this Theorymon was supposed to be a pure Steel-type? Yeah, good times. But as Salemance said, people thought it would be over-centralizing as a Steel-type, so we dumbed it down to just Steel / Ice. While this leaves him with gaping 4x Fire and Fighting weaknesses, he still has massive defenses to take hits, and the new Steel typing gives him STAB on Gyro Ball, meaning he can hit super hard if need be. The Steel typing removes both his Stealth Rock weakness and his Toxic vulnerability, giving his defensive presence and rapid Spinning potential an underrated buff. The competition this slate is tough, but I think this one has a chance.

Technician Mega Abomasnow: This one's pretty solid, since Technician is a seldom seen ability in OU, making it fun to theorize about. Technician Ice Shard, Bullet Seed, Hidden Power, Rock Tomb, Bulldoze, and Frost Breath (that's a big one!) are all pretty nasty attacks to be hit with, and having 132 / 132 offenses is pretty sweet. Plus, you can run Soundproof on regular Abomasnow to avoid summoning hail, so now you can use Synthesis for much more reliable recovery, and not wearing your own teammates down is a nice bonus. Definitely my favorite Pokemon here.

Steel / Fairy Jirachi: Yeah, this one is pretty great as well. Gaining a Fairy typing removes those annoying Dark and Ghost weaknesses, so Bisharp, Tyranitar, and Gengar have a much harder time dealing with it (Tyranitar can just use Earthquake I guess, but then he has to give up a coverage move). Losing the Psychic typing has literally no drawbacks, since Jirachi still resists Psychic and is still neutral to Fighting, so this is two steps forward, no steps back. A nice buff, and I can see this potentially winning.

Shadow Tag Dusknoir: As if stall teams didn't have it hard enough as it is, Shadow Tag Dusknoir would single-handedly annihilate any stall team after Doublade and Mega Charizard X get taken out of the picture. Literally, he can trap a key threat, such as Chansey, Skarmory, Heatran, etc..., Trick a Choice Scarf onto them, and use Disable to cripple their only move and put them in a Struggle situation; eat your heart out, Gothitelle. This is the ultimate teammate for offensive teams, since he can potentially remove any wall at the drop of a hat. This might be unhealthy for the metagame if it wins, but I still like it.

Ight yall, since what we expected to happen with this being second place slate with discussion slowing we are gonna start voting now, but a bit of a change. A few of the guys want to do voting in the thread this time to see how the participation goes so we will be doing that as a trial run for this slate.

Voting will be over these four mons:

Dusknoir + Shadow Tag

Avalugg + Steel Typing

Jirachi as a Steel/Fairy

Mega Abomasnow + Technician

If you would like your vote to count, please bold it here in the vote. An example of an acceptal vote is here in the Hide Tag

Mega Abomasnow + Technician

Happy Voting yall!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)