Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor
Hello, would someone please give me some advice on how I could have won this? Thank you beforehand for your time.

I'm player 'sgpg-test'

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2118657133-f8qohkabpyqbc7ia8206hbb9e4y1xkvpw
Heyo, as a Dedicated Dark and Darker spammer, I can try to help.

The turn 2 Enamorus switchin was ambitious, sash Pult is likely running some kind of status. In this matchup, I would've gone Kingambit turn 2, even if Pult carried Will-o, this is a pretty weak MU for King and you would've been able to force pult out.

I'm curious as to why you sacked Darkrai on turn 6? Sludge Bomb never kills from that range and Darkrai would've been hugely valuable against Wogerpon and Landorus, as well as being an additional sack down the line. Kingambit would've been the much safer play, either going for a raw Iron Head or an SD if you felt ambitious.

The Zama switchin on turn 7 was unfortunate, Custap isn't really a tech you could've accounted for, but it is something to think about. Hatterene most commonly runs Leftovers or Eject Button, neither of these options should be ringing some alarm bells as to it's item choice. Again Kingambit would've been the cleaner choice to finish Hatt off, keeping Zama healthy was incredibly important here against Lando and Wogerpon, as well as the opposing Zama.

The rest of the game was kind of just heavily in their favor, Post Turn 12, it was probably already lost, you maaaaaaybe could've Iron Defensed on turn 11, but Encore was always an option after the Trailblaze + the Ivy Cudgel Crit Chance.

I have me a little Volt-turn team that I'm having fun with, and it's getting me into the hang of these types of teams. Could anyone here have a look for improvements? I have me a bit of a grass weakness, and I would like to utilize more sp.attackers.

https://pokepast.es/c8d476429e247971

I asked for team help on the discord and got laughed at :/

Is a passed Sticky Barb considered a Status or a Held Item for the purposes of interacting with the opponent?

EX: If BE Roaring Moon Knocks Off a Clef switch-in, is it now holding the Sticky Barb or just flagged as having a "Barbed" Status? In turn, does this Moon transfer the SB if it switches into something like a Trick user on a later turn (specifying Trick or a move interaction vs Contact since that's how the item initially works already)?

Is a passed Sticky Barb considered a Status or a Held Item for the purposes of interacting with the opponent?

EX: If BE Roaring Moon Knocks Off a Clef switch-in, is it now holding the Sticky Barb or just flagged as having a "Barbed" Status? In turn, does this Moon transfer the SB if it switches into something like a Trick user on a later turn (specifying Trick or a move interaction vs Contact since that's how the item initially works already)?
So I'm not entirely sure if I understand your question but Sticky Barb does act like a regular item and will act like normal if it is tricked to another Pokemon. If they are hit by a contact move, the Barb will transfer to that Pokemon regardless of how you received the item.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9anythinggoes-2121260107

So I'm not entirely sure if I understand your question but Sticky Barb does act like a regular item and will act like normal if it is tricked to another Pokemon. If they are hit by a contact move, the Barb will transfer to that Pokemon regardless of how you received the item.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9anythinggoes-2121260107
Primary thing was if it worked like an item on the receiver (essentially Sticky Barb becomes your held item) vs something like a status that inflicted passive damage (akin to Splinters in LA for example). That would affect things like interacting with Knock Off while the KO user is holding an item for example.

That answers my questions, thanks for testing.

Calculation Error in Game????
I was wondering if someone could review this footage for me because I am not understanding how this damage was calculated. I am wondering if it was a mistake or something. The link to the footage is here: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2123540996

If you look at how much damage Primarina was doing to this Assault-vested Slowking by Surf, in Turn 13 it was 23% and in Turn 14 it was 27%. They later get one boost to their Sp.Atk from Calm Mind (1.5x multiplier), however if you look at Turn 19 they do 60% damage (at least) to Slowking to knock it out without a critical hit. Was this an error? Perhaps this was a critical hit that wasn't registered as such in the narrative?

Anyone have thoughts on this?

I was wondering if someone could review this footage for me because I am not understanding how this damage was calculated. I am wondering if it was a mistake or something. The link to the footage is here: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2123540996

If you look at how much damage Primarina was doing to this Assault-vested Slowking by Surf, in Turn 13 it was 23% and in Turn 14 it was 27%. They later get one boost to their Sp.Atk from Calm Mind (1.5x multiplier), however if you look at Turn 19 they do 60% damage (at least) to Slowking to knock it out without a critical hit. Was this an error? Perhaps this was a critical hit that wasn't registered as such in the narrative?

They got into torrent range. The percentage range I assume was actually below the 1/3 that torrent needs to activate, but they rounded it up to 34% or something.

Not an error, just a Torrent proc:

+1 252+ SpA Torrent Primarina Surf vs. 252 HP / 96 SpD Assault Vest Slowking-Galar: 201-237 (51 - 60.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Torrent gives a 1.5x boost to water type attacks as long as you are at or below 1/3 of your health. With that, the Calm Mind, and a high roll, 60% damage in a single attack is doable. The only thing funky here is that the rounding worked out so that 34% percent health was displayed by showdown but it 33% was registered by the engine.

Are there any good weatherless Walking Wake teams? Seems like quite a cool mon with Scald/Knock/Flip/Draco/etc, but I've never really seen it used outside of Sun specifically.

Sorry for double posting, but where can I find examples.of Sample teams? I'm looking for specific team structures, even examples of matches where I can pinpoint the structure in particular.

Balance is what I'm after.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
I used the team Finchinator just shared, in this replay. I know it's winnable, but I personally don't see the strategy to win vs Moon + Gambit.
If someone would please advise, thank you.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2124505032-3od66yvuki7y1u8rg75yy9cfqm3h4vhpw

Edit: perhaps I should have sacked Glowking --> brought down Valiant with Gholdengo, mitigated Moon setting up --> utilized Whirlwind on healthy-ish Ting-Lu more
Two things there in particular:
  • Taking extra damage on Ting Lu was rough. Psyshock GKing can cover a lot of Prima and if it goes Tera Steel, you waste their Tera + can still break Sub eventually and RK with CC. This could’ve given you a chance to Ruination or Whirlwind out Roaring Moon or take out a chipped Kingambit.
  • When you’re in a position where you only have Zama + Skarmory for physical threads (I.e: No Lu and they’re both Dark types, so Gholdengo isn’t saving you), try to Roost on the first Knock Off. It is a mind game turn in a sense, but the worst thing that can happen is they Taunt and you’re in the same exact spot. Best case is they Knock Off and suddenly do under half or Tera to scout Body Press or something like that. Can skew odds in your favor and here may have done some heavy lifting for you.
Once you have to trade Skarmory AND Tera for Roaring Moon without it having to Tera, the game is p much lost, but you’re able to play proactively around that. Another big thing is Tera Fairy Wake can RK chipped Kingambit while surviving even a +4 Sucker Punch. Things like this are why committing a Pokemon and Tera to Moon usually ends in a loss as the resource management goes way in the opponent’s favor. Stuff like healthy Ting Lu do an awesome job at forcing chip or even stopping progress altogether against Roaring Moon, especially with RH in the back.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Wow thanks so much for the generous detailed reply. I'll have to mull over a few times for it to sink it, but educational for sure.
I appreciate the sheer amount of dedication you've committed Finch, that's definitely made a big impact on improving Smogon.

small edit: I'm curious what does RH stand for, when you said "RH in the back." ?
Rocky Helmet. Flying types like post-Tera Roaring Moon can never actually die to Ruination + EQ Ting Lu, but you can clinch it being put into RH (Rocky Helmet) range and if they get greedy with DDs, you can bait an Acro, rather than a resisted Knock Off, and take the resisted hit with Skarmory to potentially keep both in-tact.

I used the team Finchinator just shared, in this replay. I know it's winnable, but I personally don't see the strategy to win vs Moon + Gambit.
If someone would please advise, thank you.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2124505032-3od66yvuki7y1u8rg75yy9cfqm3h4vhpw

Edit: perhaps I should have sacked Glowking --> brought down Valiant with Gholdengo, mitigated Moon setting up --> utilized Whirlwind on healthy-ish Ting-Lu more
my fellow sg, u just said it keep the slowking 4wat it 10%hp lose to moon lose to gambit slower than dog, keep is waste

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)