Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

Why would I be getting notifications on Cancel cult’s profile posts for his latest “conversation” there? I mean, I do follow Just A Shroom God, but the last one I got he didn’t reply to it. I also don’t follow Cancel cult nor have even met him. Why am I getting these notifications?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ check the conversation again, i didnt post anything on my profile today, maybe you misread the notification and it was actually my post on Just A Shroom Gods profile.

I'm planning to host a tour but last time the tagging was inconsistent last time so I want to know:
Is there a limit on how many people you can tag(and if so, how to bypass it)
I've heard that having badges has something to do with being able to tag more people, but I don't know exactly how it works.

Greetings. First time posting here, I am an older player that used to play competitively back in gen 4-6 and I haven't played since. I was familiar with smogon back then but only in name really. Would someone like to introduce me briefly to Smogon?
To help you out a bit,I know that pokemon showdown exists but not really how it functions and I also know about tiers. Some questions that you could answer could be:
1) Where do players usually hang out and communicate in order to battle using smogon rules? (e.g. discord)
2) Do people only use showdown or do they also play the original videogames? (what is the most popular)
3) Is there some sort of ladder on smogon , is it tied to showdow?
4) Does one have a profile here where he can tie either showdown account or video game accout?
5) what are the primary formats?
Or any information you deem usefull
Thank you very much!
:woop:

I have got a suggestion for a future survey:

you should ask the users if they are actually trying to improve on the game or not.
the question could have answers like "I used to try but I gave up" or "not now, but I will in the future" etc.

Greetings. First time posting here, I am an older player that used to play competitively back in gen 4-6 and I haven't played since. I was familiar with smogon back then but only in name really. Would someone like to introduce me briefly to Smogon?
Let's see what I can do here. I'll answer your Qs to the best of my ability and then add any info I think might be helpful. Before I answer this though I will quickly touch over "Pokemon Showdown (PS! for short.)" - it is a battling simulator that most smogon players use in order to battle each other (in which this will answer most of your questions as well as other additional info.) Because it's a fair bit of text I am going to spoiler these, just click on the respective button per question to find the answer.

Smogon does indeed have a discord (found here) - there are a few channels here which may interest you, such as competitive channels & resources. Pokemon Showdown also has their own chatrooms you can use to communicate with other players in order to battle using smogon rules (Overused, OU for short is probably the format you'd be looking for here). Of course, you may also wish to browse through the forums to find respective threads for this? I highly recommend PS! personally.
2) Not fully sure what you mean here but, almost everyone will use PS! itself for battling - generally the only exceptions to this are if people specifically request this (which requesting ingame battles should be kept to the Wi-Fi room). So in this environment, PS! would be more popular.
I believe the only ladder that exists is on Pokemon Showdown, found here. If I'm wrong, someone feel free to add to this. But that ladder is essentially a public rating system that includes ratings from public battles. Note, battles where you directly challenge someone will NOT count towards ladder progression. Only public, randomly queued battles initiated by clicking the "Battle!" button will count.
If you go to your Account Details (you can do this by clicking your name in the top right corner and then clicking "Account Details"), you should be able to find a plethora of options, but most relevant here is Discord, Pokemon Showdown! username, Steam, and some other social media accounts that you can link.
These tiers can generally be considered the the primary formats, I would also include "Monotype", "Random Battles" and "LC (Little Cup)". Generally the most popular format IS random battles, as it doesn't require teambuilding, otherwise of these main teambuilding formats, OU would be your go-to.

It depends what your intentions/goals for competitive battling / smogon are. But I would say if you wanted to become more integrated with the community and/or become more acquainted with modern competitive battling, your best resources are Smogon Forums, Smogon Discord (Smogon Discord Server Directory may also give some helpful discord servers for this) and Pokemon Showdown. Hope this helped!

Last edited:

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
Is this old Smog article an up to date way to apply to host a tournament? If not, how can one apply nowadays?
This article is very much not up to date (I'm so sorry you had to read my old writing).

If you would like to host an unofficial tournament, you can try to post a thread here: https://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/tournament-applications.214/

But generally speaking, hosts are members of a tier's community and follow how an individual tier determines its circuit tournament hosts.

Going off lemonademaker's post. I've recently found a couple of outdated threads. So far I've just been sending them to authed users on PS who have more of a knowledge of smogon. As far as I've been told though, only badged users have an effective way to send in bugs/errors on smog articles.

So I guess the question is: What is the process I should go through when I find an error in a smogon article (be it incorrect HTML, spelling, etc)

...and where would I go to query about outdated threads/articles? E.G one of the links in the intro on Pokemon Showdown links to https://www.smogon.com/sm/articles/sm_tiers > when you click the root for this (articles) it says not found. It also does not include SS or SV.

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
Going off lemonademaker's post. I've recently found a couple of outdated threads. So far I've just been sending them to authed users on PS who have more of a knowledge of smogon. As far as I've been told though, only badged users have an effective way to send in bugs/errors on smog articles.

So I guess the question is: What is the process I should go through when I find an error in a smogon article (be it incorrect HTML, spelling, etc)

...and where would I go to query about outdated threads/articles? E.G one of the links in the intro on Pokemon Showdown links to https://www.smogon.com/sm/articles/sm_tiers > when you click the root for this (articles) it says not found. It also does not include SS or SV.
Question 1: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...-typos-poor-wording-inaccuracies-etc.3618600/

Question 2: Depends on the context/place, different folks take care of different places. If it's a Showdown link, then the room staff for the room it is, or global staff (by opening a ticket) to pass on a website dead link are probably your best bet. For other issues (like yours), the above probably works.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 12)