Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Popular Gliscor sets? Seeing people put 4's on the tiering survey on this thing because me very interested in trying it out now. Seems like the new tools were worth the loss of roost
sd + scale shot + crabhammer + eq, tera water
on your more defensive teams you want to go with protect + spikes + knock + toxic (just use something else for rocks, there's not exactly a shortage of hazard setters around); if you've got a different spikes user, you can slot in eq instead of spikes. if you want to take a more offensive route, i'd suggest something like sd + facade + eq + knock. if you're struggling against stall, go for taunt + spikes (or eq if you have another spikes setter) + knock + toxic. you can swap out toxic for toxic spikes instead if you want to, but that depends on team comp, personal preference, and your level of paranoia about hatterene. i personally tend to eschew damage output on gliscor in favor of utility, which is why i leave eq off of it a lot of the time, but that's just me—you should probably run eq on yours

Last edited:
Popular Gliscor sets? Seeing people put 4's on the tiering survey on this thing because me very interested in trying it out now. Seems like the new tools were worth the loss of roost
Srn Spikes:
Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Protect
- Spikes

Spikes set that beats/scares out every hazard remover, piloting this correctly leads to tusk leaving the field after spinning with one spike still on the ground.

1LDK Utility (basically just different EV spread)
Gliscor (F) @ Toxic Orb
Tera Type: Water / Fairy
EVs: 236 HP / 64 Def / 16 SpD / 192 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock / Toxic / Taunt / U-Turn / Spikes / Toxic Spikes

More generic/variable offensive utility set with a focus on longevity and offensive power; spread makes it as bulky as possible while still outspeeding non-booster Tusk

1LDK Swords Dance:
Gliscor (F) @ Toxic Orb
Tera Type: Normal / Flying
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Earthquake
- Knock Off / Acrobatics / Taunt
- Swords Dance

Wincon Scor. Not as popular but I've experimented with it and it works pretty well. I like making the variable move Protect actually because the defensive stats aren't amazing and neither is the speed even max Jolly, the extra healing is pretty nice on slower teams

Last edited:

1LDK

Trial by fury
is a Top Team Rater
Srn Spikes:
Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Protect
- Spikes

Spikes set that beats/scares out every hazard remover, piloting this correctly leads to tusk leaving the field after spinning with one spike still on the ground.

1LDK Utility (basically just different EV spread)
Gliscor (F) @ Toxic Orb
Tera Type: Water / Fairy
EVs: 236 HP / 64 Def / 16 SpD / 192 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock / Toxic / Taunt / U-Turn / Spikes / Toxic Spikes

More generic/variable offensive utility set with a focus on longevity and offensive power; spread makes it as bulky as possible while still outspeeding non-booster Tusk

1LDK Swords Dance:
Gliscor (F) @ Toxic Orb
Tera Type: Normal / Flying
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Earthquake
- Knock Off / Acrobatics / Taunt
- Swords Dance

Wincon Scor. Not as popular but I've experimented with it and it works pretty well. I like making the variable move Protect actually because the defensive stats aren't amazing and neither is the speed even max Jolly, the extra healing is pretty nice on slower teams
I guess I could update a bit, I found an interesting EV treshold that im sure you people will appreciate

244 SpA Choice Specs Walking Wake Hydro Steam vs. 248 HP / 104 SpD Tera Water Gliscor in Sun: 158-186 (44.7 - 52.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Poison Heal

with that, I have a more defensive spread I have been using

Gliscor (F) @ Toxic Orb
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 104 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Spikes
- Protect
- Earthquake

16 Speed outspeeds 80 Speed Tusk
104 for the reasons explained above, and the rest in physical bulk and HP, this thing is super good flexible, its a mix wall with insane utility that can adapt to everything, real cool

Last edited:
i dont think manaphy deserves that high either necessarily but like atales is literally just going to be a cheese style of HO and literally the day after bax ban like 70% of atales disappeared over night

people will spam atales HO on the ladder bc its the first week but like atales is definitely gonna fall off

in swsh it had both actual hail mons and HO teams so it fit on two types of teams really, without Bax it's really just one type of team that is inconsistent against things like Cinderace
Aurora veil got a gigantic buff with the hail changes, not taking 1/16th chip every turn makes it so much better as an archetype over last gen even without snow abusers to run along side it. Plus Alolatails has a great support move pool and it hits decently hard for being primarily a support mon. It’s a good ass Pokémon, and will definitely remain viable in OU.

Aurora veil got a gigantic buff with the hail changes, not taking 1/16th chip every turn makes it so much better as an archetype over last gen even without snow abusers to run along side it. Plus Alolatails has a great support move pool and it hits decently hard for being primarily a support mon. It’s a good ass Pokémon, and will definitely remain viable in OU.
Yeah. 81 Special Attack is fairly average but still very usable, and A-Ninetails has the Speed, STAB, and 100% Blizzards to do some considerable damage.

first of all

it's "alolatales", "ninetails" isn't its name

secondly, being a good viable Pokemon doesn't mean it deserves the highest tier, which should be reserved for the most splashable and consistent pokemon, which veil is not

period

every other pokemon on the highest list is extremely splashable, you can throw them on any new builder with basically no consideration. atales leads an archetype and not the best archetype at that

first of all

secondly, being a good viable Pokemon doesn't mean it deserves the highest tier, which should be reserved for the most splashable and consistent pokemon, which veil is not

period
Veil is extremely splashable. The only teams it doesn't fit on are other weather teams, and you could probably tech it in if you really wanted to. If A9 hits the field without getting hit on the way in, it is **extraordinarily** likely to get a move off. And when it does, it's making your team stronger for 7 turns.

Way stronger.

It's not really an offensive threat (though STAB Blizzard is better than you'd think), but pretty much anyone who is okay with Snow being up would benefit from using A9 as a defensive mon. You may not like it, but fast Aurora Veil is worlds better than a regular screener.

first of all

period

every other pokemon on the highest list is extremely splashable, you can throw them on any new builder with basically no consideration. atales leads an archetype and not the best archetype at that
I think making an entire team archetype viable by itself warrants an A tier. It’s more than just good, it’s a meta threat that you specifically need to prepare for in the builder. Alolatails was there last gen, sitting at around an A- if I recall correctly, and that’s where I’d rank it now. It feels like a very fair place to put it

screens in general is gonna be niche

idk why this is hard to accept lol, neither screens or veil will be the meta or splashable

even in SWSH, a tier where Atales is A- on the VR, it had like 2 uses total in the entirety of last SPL

(which btw, in my opinion absolutely should get it lowered on the VR)

and it's currently sitting in the same category as ogerpon, great tusk, kingambit, gliscor, iron valiant, gholdengo, etc.

you are insane if you think atales is nearly as good as those pokemon

you say "without snow abusers", but every ice-type is a snow abuser now. if you wanna run weavile or cloyster or mamoswine, all of which i expect to have at least some small place in ou once all is said and done, then atales can be run alongside them to give their defense a shot in the arm. hell, frosmoth has been mentioned multiple times in this thread as a potential mon for veil teams, and i personally think that beartic and cetitan are very underexplored right now. even sandy shocks is a possible snow abuser because it runs tera ice fairly frequently and has decent defense. and of course there's cryogonal, a personal favorite of mine, who really likes the defense boost. snow needs a lot more exploration before people start writing off atales and veil teams

yes, because a mon that can half all damage received for around 8 turns for the entire team on 1 action sounds like such a niche that only HO would appreciate having [/sarcasm]
HO NEEDS screens, but if you think screens is only good on hyper offense, you haven't used it enough
Exactly this. Remember that one Monoclaw team, which was essentially just Trick Room but with Quick Claw instead? Quick Claw was only 1/3rd of why the team actually worked at the time, Screens were arguably the best part because at its core the team was basically a shitload of bulky nukes on a Screens team. Look at how well Kingambit does on Screens teams, look at how good things like Volcanion, Okidogi and Iron Hands can be with Screens. Imagine trying to even kill something like Ting-Lu behind screens as it sets hazards in your face, then your opponent switches in some decently bulky but fast sweeper and forces you into a corner cause you can’t revenge-kill that screens-backed sweeper.

Exactly this. Remember that one Monoclaw team, which was essentially just Trick Room but with Quick Claw instead? Quick Claw was only 1/3rd of why the team actually worked at the time, Screens were arguably the best part because at its core the team was basically a shitload of bulky nukes on a Screens team. Look at how well Kingambit does on Screens teams, look at how good things like Volcanion, Okidogi and Iron Hands can be with Screens. Imagine trying to even kill something like Ting-Lu behind screens.
yeah, ting-lu basically doesn't take damage at all behind screens. a lot of unboosted neutral hits fall into leftovers range at that point, so there are pokemon in ou that literally cannot damage ting-lu behind screens or veil

HO doesnt need screens, most HO in pretty much every OU ever including pre Home and HOME SV slowly moved away from screens and into hazard stack

as pretty much all HO does
You're right HO doesn't NEED screens/veil, but it appreciates it a lot, any team type does
Talking nearly half damage from all attacks is insanely valuable as it allows bulky mons to sponge even more hits and more fragile mons to get in more easily
And of course being able to help support sweepers getting in easier and setup more easily is potentially game ending
Heck, pre-DLC1 where the best screener was Prankster Grimmsnarl, who has to spend two turns for both screens, still got light clay on the radar due to allowing so many threats to get in and win the user the game.
Screens are not needed, but are valuable to have

why would you ever think a-ninetales would last in high tier to begin with, it will always fall off as broken things get banned and now the new HO trend is webs

mons like glowking are way better and as the game slows down more and more, veil will just be one type of HO team and wont even be a big deal

shit being on the last survey is a meme
It's got good defences this gen thanks to the changes to hail/snow, 350 279 236 isn't bad, especially when you consider that it effectively becomes 350 558 472 after a single turn as it's the best screens setter, has fast encore, ice fairy is good coverage, can cm up, has healing in the form of Dkiss, and most importantly of all it has 'One of the most broken moves in the game' in nasty plot.

It's an excellent mon.

Last edited:
it got on the radar around the same time other broken stupid fucking pokemon were on the tier, and very quickly after those were banned, people stopped spamming screens and no one cared anymore

screens is only as good as the gap of the best sweepers in the tier, ie. baxcalibur already had very little that stopped it from sweeping every team, so the nudge of AV is easy to justify

but when you ban the brokemons and suddenly you are down to good pokemon that also have way more checks, putting up screens is just not worth it on most teams, including most HO. Kingambit may be insane and I want it banned, but most of the counterplay is the same with or without screens, ie. Burn + Bulk Up Tusk (pre tera lol) + Encore. Taking more hits is cool and all, but not only does a Pokemon like Kingambit work better when most of the opposing team is already chipped, but also attacking it is not really the counterplay.

Baxcalibur only had two forms of counterplay. 1. Booster Valiant (one time check), 2. Revenge killing it. Veil removed that.

Now let's look at other Pokemon in the tier, currently. Ursaluna BloodMoon is a good candidate for screens, except the way fat deals with it anyways is to try and put it on a timer. Plus, most Ursa BM don't even run screens along with it, because it doesn't need screens. Only things like Ogrepon can revenge it, and Tera Poison (also good for Gliscor Toxic bc it doesn't really care about EQ funnily) makes those inconsistent.

Manaphy is probably the best screens abuser left, and even then, it's honestly not all that. It has strong 4MSS, and honestly it usually still loses with a lot of the same checks most setup Pokemon have right now.

Halving damage for that long for "free" would be great if it was actually free, but you're all vastly overestimating Ninetales' actual ability to be a Pokemon in of itself. It isn't one.

Proclaiming its Special Attack is real is just not statistically true, especially when almost no one is investing in it.

0 SpA Ninetales-Alola Freeze-Dry vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Dragapult: 162-192 (51.1 - 60.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Ninetales-Alola Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Dragapult: 218-258 (68.7 - 81.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Dragapult, a Dragon-Type with okay natural Special bulk, can lead against Alolan Ninetales and literally kill it.

252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ninetales-Alola: 163-193 (46.5 - 55.1%) -- 68% chance to 2HKO

This is if you don't go Modest, which I see a lot of Dragapult doing a-la endgame SWSH.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ninetales-Alola: 180-213 (51.4 - 60.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Not only does Alolan-Ninetales not kill but also even if it clicks Veil, Infilitrator will kill it.

0 SpA Ninetales-Alola Freeze-Dry vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Ogerpon-Wellspring: 268-316 (89 - 104.9%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
0 SpA Ninetales-Alola Freeze-Dry vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Ogerpon-Wellspring: 264-312 (87.7 - 103.6%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

I mean seriously it's only a very low chance to OHKO zero bulk Waterpon with a 4x STAB move. Of course you can get previous chip, but like you just are not using Alolan Ninetales as its own Pokemon.

0 SpA Ninetales-Alola Freeze-Dry vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Dragonite: 256-304 (79.2 - 94.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Ninetales-Alola Freeze-Dry vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 128-152 (39.6 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

0 SpA Ninetales-Alola Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 152-182 (37.6 - 45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Ninetales-Alola Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Dondozo: 180-212 (35.7 - 42%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Ninetales-Alola Freeze-Dry vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Enamorus: 152-182 (52.5 - 62.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Ninetales-Alola Freeze-Dry vs. +1 0 HP / 4 SpD Enamorus: 102-122 (35.2 - 42.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Ninetales-Alola Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Greninja: 228-270 (80 - 94.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Ninetales-Alola Freeze-Dry vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Manaphy: 128-152 (31.7 - 37.7%) -- 87.1% chance to 3HKO
0 SpA Ninetales-Alola Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos: 138-164 (35.9 - 42.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Ninetales-Alola Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Samurott-Hisui: 242-288 (75.3 - 89.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Ninetales-Alola Freeze-Dry vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Walking Wake: 300-352 (88.4 - 103.8%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
0 SpA Ninetales-Alola Freeze-Dry vs. 244 HP / 252+ SpD Gliscor: 220-264 (62.5 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
0 SpA Ninetales-Alola Freeze-Dry vs. 244 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 324-384 (92 - 109%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
0 SpA Ninetales-Alola Freeze-Dry vs. 244 HP / 76 SpD Gliscor: 292-348 (82.9 - 98.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal

I mean, literally quad weak Pokemon can setup on this Pokemon, or 1v1 because they just live.

In terms of bulk, if you are running Light Clay you are also not running HDB, and now it is simply not walling anything, even at +1.

252 Atk Wellspring Mask Ogerpon-Wellspring Ivy Cudgel vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Ninetales-Alola in Snow: 157-186 (44.8 - 53.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

So, let's see. Alolan-Ninetales kinda sucks at killing anything, it kinda sucks at walling things. It kinda gets owned by Court Change which everyone is using, and the best thing it does is put up Veil, which has arguably no broken abusers.

Sounds like a splashable Highest Tier Pokemon to me!

By the way, I am not talking about this anymore. I will just ignore you.

not fond of bothering giving a full response to a comment that ends with a preemptive "lalala I can't hear you!" as it's usually pointless, but will correct a few of the more obvious problems with all that.

First, complaining about Ninetales-A not having good damage at Timid 0 SpAEV and with Freeze-Dry (a move it offen doesn't even use) is like saying Gliscor is a non-mon because it doesn't hit very hard with Aerial Ace on it's defensive set. At least use Blizzard for calcs so that I can say it's a comparison with Gliscor's Earthquake: still wrong and out of place, but closer to fair.
It's just not the point. Want firepower? Invest on SpA instead of HP, maybe run Nasty Plot as third move, and now you have options. You use HP/SPD Timid because you care about Screens first and foremost, and have Blizzard for damage and can run Encore for support even.

Second, the entire point of this post doesn't really respond to anything at all. We're saying that thinking Screens, or at least Veil, is only good for hyper offense sweeper-spam is prejudice and that many other types of teams can make good use of it, and you're still stuck on talking about hyper offense and sweepers. Again, missing the point.

And third, Kingambit, Ogerpon-Water or Rock, Dragonite, offensive Tusk and many more can be run on non-hyper offense teams and greatly benefit from Veil to do their job even easier, with or without set-up. Purely bulky mons like Hatterene, Ting Lu or even Gliscor also appreciate them to be even less pressured on time to do whatever it is they want to do. But my special mention goes to Gholdengo, that stops Defog and Brick Break, can Nasty Plot behind it for offense, is already tough to kill without screens and becomes almost unsurmountable against anything other than Court Change Cinderace or Infiltrator Dragapult, and neither want to switch in.

Ninetales-A is much easier to use than all that suggests and because its role is to offer support, failing to kill things or tank things is just not the point.
Sometimes, switching in on a free switch (pivoting or after a kill), setting screens and switching out to do it again later or even letting her die is more than enough work, and sometimes she even does more than that.

So, let's see. Alolan-Ninetales kinda sucks at killing anything
you posted a bunch of solid uninvested 2hko calcs and then went around trumpeting about how they're not ohkos. that's not proof of anything. and for the record, plenty of people invest in spa
it kinda sucks at walling things.
not behind veil it doesn't. just because you conveniently didn't factor it in for your calcs doesn't mean it suddenly ceased to exist as a concept
It kinda gets owned by Court Change which everyone is using
until you click veil a second time
and the best thing it does is put up Veil
i'd argue that its ability to throw out a fast encore or hypnosis is almost as important to the veil playstyle as the actual veil is
which has arguably no broken abusers.
except for every setup sweeper
i love when someone loudly, proudly loses an argument and walks away as though they've won
18626875-30AA-4266-913B-D415B7789278.jpeg

oh? i thought you were supposed to be ignoring me. does "ignoring" now include laugh reacts?

Last edited:
it got on the radar around the same time other broken stupid fucking pokemon were on the tier, and very quickly after those were banned, people stopped spamming screens and no one cared anymore

screens is only as good as the gap of the best sweepers in the tier, ie. baxcalibur already had very little that stopped it from sweeping every team, so the nudge of AV is easy to justify

but when you ban the brokemons and suddenly you are down to good pokemon that also have way more checks, putting up screens is just not worth it on most teams, including most HO. Kingambit may be insane and I want it banned, but most of the counterplay is the same with or without screens, ie. Burn + Bulk Up Tusk (pre tera lol) + Encore. Taking more hits is cool and all, but not only does a Pokemon like Kingambit work better when most of the opposing team is already chipped, but also attacking it is not really the counterplay.

Baxcalibur only had two forms of counterplay. 1. Booster Valiant (one time check), 2. Revenge killing it. Veil removed that.

Now let's look at other Pokemon in the tier, currently. Ursaluna BloodMoon is a good candidate for screens, except the way fat deals with it anyways is to try and put it on a timer. Plus, most Ursa BM don't even run screens along with it, because it doesn't need screens. Only things like Ogrepon can revenge it, and Tera Poison (also good for Gliscor Toxic bc it doesn't really care about EQ funnily) makes those inconsistent.

Manaphy is probably the best screens abuser left, and even then, it's honestly not all that. It has strong 4MSS, and honestly it usually still loses with a lot of the same checks most setup Pokemon have right now.

Halving damage for that long for "free" would be great if it was actually free, but you're all vastly overestimating Ninetales' actual ability to be a Pokemon in of itself. It isn't one.

Proclaiming its Special Attack is real is just not statistically true, especially when almost no one is investing in it.

0 SpA Ninetales-Alola Freeze-Dry vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Dragapult: 162-192 (51.1 - 60.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Ninetales-Alola Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Dragapult: 218-258 (68.7 - 81.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Dragapult, a Dragon-Type with okay natural Special bulk, can lead against Alolan Ninetales and literally kill it.

252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ninetales-Alola: 163-193 (46.5 - 55.1%) -- 68% chance to 2HKO

This is if you don't go Modest, which I see a lot of Dragapult doing a-la endgame SWSH.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ninetales-Alola: 180-213 (51.4 - 60.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Not only does Alolan-Ninetales not kill but also even if it clicks Veil, Infilitrator will kill it.

0 SpA Ninetales-Alola Freeze-Dry vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Ogerpon-Wellspring: 268-316 (89 - 104.9%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
0 SpA Ninetales-Alola Freeze-Dry vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Ogerpon-Wellspring: 264-312 (87.7 - 103.6%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

I mean seriously it's only a very low chance to OHKO zero bulk Waterpon with a 4x STAB move. Of course you can get previous chip, but like you just are not using Alolan Ninetales as its own Pokemon.

0 SpA Ninetales-Alola Freeze-Dry vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Dragonite: 256-304 (79.2 - 94.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Ninetales-Alola Freeze-Dry vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 128-152 (39.6 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

0 SpA Ninetales-Alola Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 152-182 (37.6 - 45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Ninetales-Alola Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Dondozo: 180-212 (35.7 - 42%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Ninetales-Alola Freeze-Dry vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Enamorus: 152-182 (52.5 - 62.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Ninetales-Alola Freeze-Dry vs. +1 0 HP / 4 SpD Enamorus: 102-122 (35.2 - 42.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Ninetales-Alola Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Greninja: 228-270 (80 - 94.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Ninetales-Alola Freeze-Dry vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Manaphy: 128-152 (31.7 - 37.7%) -- 87.1% chance to 3HKO
0 SpA Ninetales-Alola Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos: 138-164 (35.9 - 42.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Ninetales-Alola Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Samurott-Hisui: 242-288 (75.3 - 89.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Ninetales-Alola Freeze-Dry vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Walking Wake: 300-352 (88.4 - 103.8%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
0 SpA Ninetales-Alola Freeze-Dry vs. 244 HP / 252+ SpD Gliscor: 220-264 (62.5 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
0 SpA Ninetales-Alola Freeze-Dry vs. 244 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 324-384 (92 - 109%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
0 SpA Ninetales-Alola Freeze-Dry vs. 244 HP / 76 SpD Gliscor: 292-348 (82.9 - 98.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal

I mean, literally quad weak Pokemon can setup on this Pokemon, or 1v1 because they just live.

In terms of bulk, if you are running Light Clay you are also not running HDB, and now it is simply not walling anything, even at +1.

252 Atk Wellspring Mask Ogerpon-Wellspring Ivy Cudgel vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Ninetales-Alola in Snow: 157-186 (44.8 - 53.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

So, let's see. Alolan-Ninetales kinda sucks at killing anything, it kinda sucks at walling things. It kinda gets owned by Court Change which everyone is using, and the best thing it does is put up Veil, which has arguably no broken abusers.

Sounds like a splashable Highest Tier Pokemon to me!

Don't care about being ignored, I'm refuting this for others reading or potentially joining the conversation.

I feel like you're ignoring a few very significant things with this wall of Calcs, first and foremost being that killing most of this stuff has literally never been A-Ninetales's job, and unlike the spinner/Spiker Dynamic, it doesn't have to bat the thing in front of it to do its job, just not get KO'd before taking its turn. I also want to know what "4x weak" Pokemon in your listing is setting up on it, because Dragonite is the only one listed that isn't a roll to kill from full with an uninvested Freeze Dry. Even if I humor you that this proves something, that's prime revenge kill territory or even potential set up fodder in turn for something like Kingambit.

Many other preceding comments discussed things like Blizzard being available if power is the concern or how many set-up sweepers capitalize on Screens, so I want to question some other nitpickier stuff.

- Your Dragapult example uses it as the use case because Infiltrator ignores the Aurora Veil that forms the crux of this argument; if Specs Dragapult locks itself into Shadow Ball (identifiable by the Damage range) on the turn Ninetales Veils, that's not a 2HKO, that's free entry for Kingambit, Ursaluna Blood Moon, Samurott-H, Ting-Lu, Garganacl, Roaring Moon, or even some stuff people might be experimenting with as new toys like Bulletproof Kommo-o. Some of these mons are free Hazards and half of them will run over 2-3 Pokemon given a free turn to set-up (Especially Blood Moon who besides its usual shenanigans, doesn't even take Chip Damage or risk a SpD drop from the entry hit). It's a very specific example but now imagine this happening to any Pokemon who has to actually deal with the screens on top of having to predict what's coming in (if it's not Choiced and exploitable anyway)

- This is assuming offense is the only way A-Ninetales can respond to an opponent beyond putting up Veil, when it has options including Encore (so no free set-up) and Hypnosis (Sleep is never fun to deal with against an opponent with set up users). And if its bulk is so pitiful as you tout, why not put some EVs in SpA as some sets mix and match for specific KOs?

96 SpA Ninetales-Alola Freeze-Dry vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Ogerpon-Wellspring: 300-352 (99.6 - 116.9%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO (higher chance since you consider a chance to OHKO from a Support mon to be insufficient)

- What are most of these Calcs even supposed to prove? Half of these Pokemon would be terrible leads as you assume Ninetales main position to be, but several of your own Calcs don't win with Ninetales coming into them either. Take your Gliscor for example
0 Atk Gliscor Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Ninetales-Alola in Snow: 87-103 (30.3 - 35.8%) -- 40.5% chance to 3HKO

Ninetales comes in, eats 2 Earthquakes (one on Switch and one next turn) while getting that 2HKO with Freeze Dry, while Gliscor can't survive even with Protect for extra Poison Heal recovery (and wouldn't try because that's a chance for Ninetales to just Veil before killing it), and now the opponent is down their defensive Spiker. Most of these Calcs don't prove anything because they assume scenarios that won't happen either by the Ninetales Player's decision or the opponent's in any practical scenario, especially because no one is going to bother with a defensive response to a Pokemon who literally screams "get ready for the Set Up Storm" by taking a single turn.
-- For another one, you post an Ogerpon-Wellspring 2HKO after Stealth Rock as a show of Ninetales's low bulk, except if Ninetales is holding Light Clay to take that SR damage, why the hell is its first action not Aurora Veil to begin with (at which point fainting it can be ideal for the free switch in by a Set-up teammate or simply an easier Revenge Killer)? Furthermore, what is the scenario that bringing in a Veil Ninetales, with enough turns having passed for Stealth Rock to be up AND a Wellspring Ogerpon to have come in after the SR setter, is the ideal play instead of pivoting into something that does respond to said Ogerpon better than this does like Kingambit or Specs Valiant? This calc is numerically true but also is a scenario that is not going to happen in a real battle played between two competent players piloting teams beyond the two mons listed.

Whether or not Alolan Ninetales is High Viability (not sure why that's even controversial considering this just means its playstyle/contribution works well as opposed to being extremely common in use), the arguments you posted in this comment fails to respond to a recurring point (that quick Screens provides massive opportunity for many Pokemon even beyond standard HO) while just kind of flooding with a bunch of calcs that don't prove anything when put into context of an actual game, while assuming said Calcs demonstrate the extent of the Mon's performance while misunderstanding its role (assuming it fails as a team slot because it doesn't 1-2HKO many things or survive many powerful hits) and excluding major aspects of how it plays (ignoring 3 extremely relevant moves in Blizzard, Hypnosis, and Encore as well as the actual Veil).

My main problem with these calcs, is that most of them are using 0 SpA investment and freeze-dry over blizzard, which more people are using on a-ninetails over freeze-dry. Also in what chance does ninetails willingly find itself in against these non-lead mons? Not at lot, Ninetails isn't putting in pressure on the opponent over damage, it has its teammates for that reason.

Honestly, as a mid-1400s player, I'm really feeling the strain on defense when I try to play balance. You need tusk not to autolose to gambit, you need Wake or Ogerpon-W not to autolose to weather, you need something that can take a hit from +1 Valiant, Specs Pult, +2 Kommo, +2 Hamurott, and a million other random-ass setup pokemon that get setup. Stopgaps to these pokemon basically don't exist. For example, I tried using Gliscor against Kingambit: even in the perfect scenario, where Gambit doesn't Tera and Gliscor is at full, Earthquake is only a 3HKO on the bulky variant, which proceeds to sweep me with its priority. Oh, and it can Tera, making the things that can semi-consistently beat it just... not. Tusk becomes fucking setup from literally any Tera and Ival has to hard switch in to hopeful catch the swords dance to encore, which loses its BE, and also restricts it from using a choice item, which I would really fucking like to run. And don't even get me started on weather. Using a bulky resist isn't fucking enough, because of calcs like these:
244 SpA Choice Specs Walking Wake Hydro Steam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Alomomola in Sun: 264-311 (49.4 - 58.2%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO
244 SpA Choice Specs Tera Water Walking Wake Hydro Steam vs. 252 HP / 64 SpD Toxapex in Sun: 135-159 (44.4 - 52.3%) -- 78.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Wellspring Mask Tera Water Ogerpon-Wellspring-Tera Ivy Cudgel vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Toxapex in Rain: 206-243 (67.7 - 79.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Tera Water Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 64 SpD Toxapex in Rain: 139-165 (45.7 - 54.2%) -- 96.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery (Battle bond variant, not even Specs)
+3 252 SpA Manaphy Surf vs. 252 HP / 64 SpD Toxapex in Rain: 162-191 (53.2 - 62.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Zapdos Weather Ball (100 BP Water) vs. 244 HP / 252+ SpD Gliscor in Rain: 276-326 (78.4 - 92.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
Yknow, funny shit like this. 16 Turns is more than enough for them to kill everything on your team twice.
And the final nail in the coffin is ursa-bm. Bro just calm minds once, clicks blood moon, and murders everything. The best i could come up with is sacking gliscor to toxic it and trying to play around its STABs with protect on a steel type and then switching to a flying type to hopefully minimize what it can do.
Lastly, I think Tera is really restricting what the tier can actually develop into. When you give ANYTHING free setup turns, most things become impossible to really deal with without using the dedicated unaware wall of their type, which obviously don't fit onto balance very well. An example is the other day when I got swept by dragon dance Crawdaunt who tera'd fairy, absorbed my draco meteor from dragapult, got up 2 dragon dances, and then won the game. The only real way to counter defensively is with Dozo, which is already being spammed everywhere. The best way to deal with such threats is to out-offense them, which is leading to the hazard stack and offense-infested meta. I really think that Tera and a meta that favors balance will never be conducive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 2)