Team Fortress 2 - The Official Discussion Thread

I recently got this game, but as I am not accustomed to playing FPS games, it's a little daunting. I hear Heavy is good for newbies. Anything I should know?

Meanwhile, Pyro gets pooped on once again. HEY LET'S MELEE BUILDINGS
My guess is that something in the engineer update will suddenly make this useful. Perhaps a sentry that shoots flames instead of bullets? That would make pyro the perfect counter, what with the sledgehammer and flame-retardant suit and all.

I recently got this game, but as I am not accustomed to playing FPS games, it's a little daunting. I hear Heavy is good for newbies. Anything I should know?
Medic is good for noobs too, if you don't mind healing.

The only thing you really need to know for heavies is when to attack and when to back off. And never shoot in sight of a sniper!

You should also jump before spinning down your minigun, just gives you a bit more mobility.

Yeah Medic seems cool, I'll try that out. Thanks for the tips! Although with a good sniper you never see it coming. :(

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sooooooo a recent video by a community member was released. It may be one of the single greatest community created projects I've seen. I won't give it away....

Anti-SpoilerZ

On the subject of user created content, the Interactive Heavy 2fort adventure is one of the greatest pieces of machinima TF2's gotten yet.

We also got an update today. Valve's giving out Sam & Max themed items out this weekend for those who purchased the franchises latest game. The rewards are only a hat and a re-skin of the pistol and Revolver, but they at least look decent.

I've been playing this game again and I think I have gotten better at it, but I'm still mediocre. Any tips for Scout/Medic?

I've been playing this game again and I think I have gotten better at it, but I'm still mediocre. Any tips for Scout/Medic?
Scout tips

Some of the stuff in that post not directly related to gameplay (things like adjusting your FOV and whatnot) is also applicable to medic. As for medic advice strictly relating to gameplay, try to stick with the bulk of your team. If someone that you're healing is wandering off, don't be afraid to leave him to stay with a group of teammates who can do a better job of protecting you. When prioritizing heals, look at the actual HP that people have left, not just the percentage. A scout who is at 80% needs health more urgently than a heavy who is at 50%, since a heavy at half health can still take a hit while the scout is only one shot away from death. Also, I personally prefer to use the needle gun over the blutsauger, since it gives you a better passive regen (scaling between 3-6 HP per second instead of the blutsaugers 1-4 HP per second). The blutsauger is really only useful is when you're able to use it to leech heals off dumb scouts who can't outdamage your regen. In short, the blutsauger is most effective against bad players, who shouldn't be posing a major threat to you anyway.

I created a Team Fortress 2/Pokemon hypothetical crossover on the Steam Powered User Forums a while back. Click on Team Forretress 2 in my signature if interested.

i love tf 2. i play all the classes besides spy, sniper and heavy pretty regularly.

and for tips on medic, i would say the regular syringe is better if you are not going battle medic. the minus to your health regen can really hurt you if you are on fire and the rest of the team took the med packs. also, dont just stick to a heavy, heal everyone that you can, because overhealing your team can really give you the upper hand.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
No way, man. Airblast buff is so ridiculously useful, and if you're going to cry about damage output, remember that it's still doing more damage per second in melee than any other weapon other than lolminigun even with the nerf, and Backburner still has the damage buff.

Pyro is more than anything a class that has to choose between "combat and ambush potential" (comin in through the back to do a fuckton of damage) with the Backburner, or "frontal assault and utility" (rolling straight through, deflecting rockets and grenades, and shoving enemies the hell out the way) with the flamethrower. It's nice to actually see a class where the different weapons have different roles and advantages/disadvantages, yet aren't completely outclassing one another.

except for the homewrecker i mean seriously

Also, FUCK playing Gravel Pit after the Pain Train. It was a bad enough map before, but now Pain Train soldiers/demos can just jump onto the point and cap it instantly.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Flamethrower with compression blast > Airgun with a lighter :( It doesn't matter how good the air blast is when you can't kill dick. I, for one, do not welcome out new Shotgun primary overlords.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think you're overstating the damage nerf on the flamethrower. It still does a solid 122 DPS at close range, but now it's much more profitable to airblast reflect grenades and rockets, making the Pyro more effective than ever against Soldiers and Demomen.

The Axtinguisher's usefulness is also drastically boosted with the compression blast buff. I won't feel like I'm wasting as much ammo puffing people now. Plus, for those still bitter about the damage nerf, Axtinguisher could be right up your alley, unless you opt for the Homewrecker.

Hoho, how much is this new Flamethrower going to piss off ubers?

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
The Axtinguisher's usefulness is drastically boosted because the Pyro sure doesn't kill much with the Flamethrower any more. Too bad I suck at puff-n-stick anyway, so once I get [another] Homewrecker I'll stick to being an Engineer defender when I go Pyro. :(

Getting kills isn't too much harder with the Flamethrower though; it's just focusing more on utility now. In practice, I haven't noticed a big damage difference while playing as a pyro.

The improved air blast though is ridiculously useful. You can spam blast grenades and rockets away from engineer stuff instead of blasting one and getting hit by the next because of the cooldown. Not to mention air blasting people out of the way can be way more helpful to the team than you trying to go in for the kill, like when there's too big a horde closing in on the payload.

I'm surprised you guys arent more outraged at the significant pyro nerf, but then again I don't suspect you guys really main pyro (After that nerf, I've gone to heavy!). The damage output is piddly, and anyone who says it isn't noticeable doesn't play enough pyro to recognize how lame it is now. Homewrecker is cool. Airblast is cool. Damage nerf isn't cool. He's not a Nannybot for the engineer (OR IS HE?), so I'd appreciate it if VALVe buffed the damage ramp up close.

You know what? Demo should have gotten the nerf Pyro had gotten. That way, SR is actually a good sidegrade (assuming the sticky launcher gets -20%), and one that places emphasis on his supposed defense role.

Also, waiting for the next hat pack; sitting on 4 refined metal, which sucks since I got it all before they lowered scrap metal to 2 :(

I do main pyro. Pyro has 20 more hours than my next most played class. It's just that the Flamethrower isn't all about running in and flaming as many people as you can. The flamethrower's main attraction was the air blast, and this patch made that more obvious. Maybe the damage nerf seemed negligible to me, since I mainly use the air blast for utility and kills. Even with a 20% damage nerf, Flamethrower still seems better for assaulting and close quarters because of the improved air blast.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)