The Anime / Manga Thread (MK2) | Beware Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I have watched the 1995 Ghost in the Shell movie, though I'm not sure if you're referring to that one or the TV series that were aired some years later. I liked the movie a lot so in case you have watched both, is the plot on the TV series the same as in the movie? I was considering watching the TV series (and also the film that was the sequel to the first movie) but I wasn't really sure
I don't think the movie plot and the series (I'm referring to Stand Alone Complex and SAC 2 Solid State Society) are the same, but I haven't seen the movie so I wouldn't know. That said, I still recommend watching the series 100%, the content is balanced really well between action and non-action and it has a lot of depth. This is also one series where the dub is actually on par with the original; idk what preferences you have though.

The second movie (Innocence I think?) is alright, I didn't like it as much as the series.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
The entire point is that the tits shouldn't matter. Can people really not see this? It isn't even deep or symbolic or hidden at all, it was literally said in the episode.
Ex-Gainax employees saying that tits don't matter? That's like when the head of Crytek said that video game graphics don't matter. Wait...

Yeah they don't get to make that statement while routinely using fanservice to prop up their ratings, and making only the second cheesecakiest show after Panty and Stocking. Just because they soapboxed in episode 3 doesn't mean they get a pass, nobody has to agree with them.

Last edited:
Ex-Gainax employees saying that tits don't matter? That's like when the head of Crytek said that video game graphics don't matter. Wait...

Yeah they don't to make that statement while routinely using fanservice to prop up their ratings, and making only the second cheesecakiest show after Panty and Stocking. Just because they soapboxed in episode 3 doesn't mean they get a pass, nobody has to agree with them.
Shit man. I never thought about it that way. I think I hate tits now. In fact, I'm pretty sure I hate Kill La Kill now. Fuck you, Trigger, you pigs. Get a real job.

First off, Trigger is not Gainax. It was two guys from Gainax who split off and formed their own company, what they do now and what Gainax did then are two different things. Second, they do get to say that, because of people like you who immediately hate things just because they're lewd, even if it has no impact on the actual quality of the show.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
You don't know what lewd stuff I do and don't like, so don't strawman me. It totally gets in the way here, when it rears it ugly face at the height of every badass action climax, and when for all that it even fails to be sexy. When your outfit is so implausible it requires suspenders, you have failed.

Not Gainax? Don't be naive. Kill la Kill screams of trying to appeal to too many different Gainax fans. If you don't see shades of Gurren Lagann's posturing and drawing, FLCL's hectic humor and animation, and Panty and Stocking's aimed at 12 year old's sexuality in this (which your two guys had big hands in), then you just aren't paying attention. Now I couldn't stomach half an episode of Panty and Stocking, but I still figured everyone is 12 at least once in their life so maybe it just didn't appeal to me. But by trying to appeal to everyone with Kill la Kill, they are only appealing to the same fanboys who have eaten all their shit and overhyped it for almost two decades. Why improve and make something really good when people will like your shit anyway? Just take your biggest hack practice and turn it into a soapbox, cause that's not egotistical at all. Yep, I'm done with Kill la Kill.

You guys aren't even getting the fucking message right. Satsuki says "I will show no shame or hesitation in the pursuit of my ambitions". In other words, they will show no shame if it gets them ratings. That's what their fanservice has always been about, that's what it will always be about.

Last edited:
You don't know what lewd stuff I do and don't like, so don't strawman me. It totally gets in the way here, when it rears it ugly face at the height of every badass action climax, and when for all that it even fails to be sexy. When your outfit is so implausible it requires suspenders, you have failed.

Not Gainax? Don't be naive. Kill la Kill screams of trying to appeal to too many different Gainax fans. If you don't see shades of Gurren Lagann's posturing and drawing, FLCL's hectic humor and animation, and Panty and Stocking's aimed at 12 year old's sexuality in this (which your two guys had big hands in), then you just aren't paying attention. Now I couldn't stomach half an episode of Panty and Stocking, but I still figured everyone is 12 at least once in their life so maybe it just didn't appeal to me. But by trying to appeal to everyone with Kill la Kill, they are only appealing to the same fanboys who have eaten all their shit and overhyped it for almost two decades. Why improve and make something really good when people will like your shit anyway? Just take your biggest hack practice and turn it into a soapbox, cause that's not egotistical at all. Yep, I'm done with Kill la Kill.

You guys aren't even getting the fucking message right. Satsuki says "I will show no shame or hesitation in the pursuit of my ambitions". In other words, they will show no shame if it gets them ratings. That's what their fanservice has always been about, that's what it will always be about.
Oh yeah? Well at least I'm not a (BAN ME PLEASE).

Edit: Also, you are a nerd.

Last edited:
I'm just gonna ignore most of what you said because, frankly, I don't want to talk to you. You present yourself in a very arrogant manner and you take things way too seriously, not to mention you have a rage face for an avatar.

You're taking it way too literally and cutting out a lot. She pretty much explicitly states "I don't care about those idiots oggling me. This suit gives me immense power, how much skin it shows doesn't have any bearing on that." The message is very clearly that fanservice and people who just watch for it don't have anything to do with the quality of the show.

edit: I think I should at least address this; you seem to have me pegged as some Gainax fanboy, which couldn't be farther from the truth. I actually hate Gainax, probably more than you do. The only thing I enjoyed from them was PSG, and even that got on my nerves at times.

Last edited:

RODAN

Banned deucer.

winter chart out, maybe its possible to just rename this to general anime discussion thread or something

meh, Chuu2 2 and Sailor moon are the only real notable ones with not a whole lot else. Noragami sounds like an ok premise, and Bones is a pretty reliable studio. At least the Steins gate movie will finally be subbed.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Fine I'll rename it such. Focus of this thread will be primarily new releases and up and coming Anime. We already have a General Anime/Manga Discussion Thread so I'd rather we use that for general talk.

Also Winter Season anime looks shit.

Only good ones are Inari Kon Kon, Chuu 2, and maybe one or two others that look slightly promising (Bushi Road anyone?). If Valvrave S2 is 24 episodes, I'll at least have something to watch for that portion of the season...

Last edited:

Magistrum

DOITSU NO KAGAKU WA SEKAI ICHI
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Hmm still no Assassination Classroom huh

Nobunagun looks quirky judging from the art style; maybe I'll try it, but overall the season's quite underwhelming.

Holy shit you guys. Get your shit together. Space Dandy is being directed by Shinichiro Watanabe, the guy that directed Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo. It is literally GUARANTEED to be a classic under his supervision.

Edit: Also Chuunibyou is cancer you scrubs. Get some taste.
Edit Again: Also Tonari no Seki-kun is going to be great. Go read the mangas you scrubs.

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
well staff for space dandy definitely makes it more encouraging, it did look from the summary like it had some bebop like potential. maybe it will end up on my list of shit to watch

seriously though sailor moon
SAILOR MOON
been delayed multiple times iirc (it was due for fall release originally) but sooner or later we shall have a new sailor moon and that is the only thing 100% worth watching

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm probably going to check out SAO (lel), Hunter x Hunter movie which I really hope they do well, because when the author was writing that arc he went on hiatus like 5 times, and LUPIN III VS DETECTIVE CONAN I AM SO EXCITED FOR THIS.
There was already a crossover movie which was pretty awesome but I could not find a good sub at all :(
SNEUHSNTAHUSR<HUROHCUSROHUSNTEU

I have watched the 1995 Ghost in the Shell movie, though I'm not sure if you're referring to that one or the TV series that were aired some years later. I liked the movie a lot so in case you have watched both, is the plot on the TV series the same as in the movie? I was considering watching the TV series (and also the film that was the sequel to the first movie) but I wasn't really sure
Same general setting and characters, but each series (and both later films -- Innocence and Solid State Society) have their own plots -- the first Stand Alone Complex series had one of the best plots I've seen, and the second one was good too.

I haven't seen any of Ghost in the Shell: Arise yet, hopefully it's actually good.

The thing with Space Dandy though is that we'll have to wait a bit to get a dub with Steve Blum.
THINK AGAIN SCRUB.
Flower Mound, TX – (October 25, 2013) It was announced today that Adult Swim will broadcast the English dub version of “Space Dandy” on television in North America beginning January 2014. This is the first time an anime series on Adult Swim will have a simultaneous TV broadcast with Japan. In addition to Japan and North America, the show will have a simulcast broadcast in numerous countries in Asia.
http://www.funimation.com/blog/?p=2464

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)