The Anime / Manga Thread (MK2) | Beware Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. I was really worried about the direction flip flappers is taking with episode 2 and 3 (I think those were the episodes), but the show went right back on track and I am really loving it. I haven't seen the most recent episode though.

Vileman

Actually a Nice Fella
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
UPL Champion
Whys there barely any mentions of JoJo? The anime is amazing, i really enjoyed the 3rd arc and the 4th is going really well (i cant rly think of how the fuck they are getting kira now wtf)

RODAN

Banned deucer.
jojo is absolutely fucking great right now, nothing really else to say about it.

the dark horse show of this season for me has been Kiss Him Not Me. It started out pretty mediocre, but its comedic timing is absolutely top notch and its characters are super endearing. Now that everyone is being fleshed out more. it is probably, bar none, the best harem show i've seen.

which leads me to this question: What is your favourite harem anime? and also thoughts on the genre at large?

JJBA pt 4 is tied with 2 for my favorite. Fights have been top notch, characters are fun, pacing is great (part 3 was stretched out way too much at times). I also like that there are a good number of episodes that are just random misadventures involving stand powers and not every single person the main characters meet is a villain like in part 3, it makes the whole thing feel a lot more down to earth. And Kira is an A+ villain, the way that it introduced him by having an episode from his point of view made him a whole lot more interesting and relatable (well, relatively speaking) which makes him all the scarier.

Harem being a common element of anime is one of those things that I've just kind of become numb to and stopped noticing, along with half of shows being set in high school. Konosuba is my favorite that is a harem but Monogatari is probably the one that's done the most interesting things with the genre.

owarimonogatari is the highest rated "harem" anime I have on MAL, but I wouldn't recommend the Monogatari series to anyone looking specifically for a harem anime. everything I liked about Owari had nothing to do with the harem elements of the show

probably have to second konosuba here, but that's also not really a harem? there's like 3, maybe 4 girls who aren't typically fighting over the MC, and the show doesn't rely on ecchi humor THAT much with the exception of episode 9

saekano and monmusu are my two highest rated "true harem" anime, they're both incredibly stupid and a lot of fun.

Wanna kill myself sorta for this but Highschool DxD. It feels the harem and highschool checkmarks down to the T, but honestly the MC power armor moments just entice me too much to bother with the other crap.

speaking of...
Is it weird I actually enjoyed the first season more than r2? The execution of the battles between real robots in which strategical planning and tactical ambushes mattered most instead of who had the most nukes and beam shooting flying superunits in r2 just felt nicer overall. That and the whole Gundam SEED-esque love triangle (sorry if the comparison's off) was cool too.

Highschool DxD is a lot of fun, it just takes the genre and runs with it. Probably the best high school magic battle harem show, s3 was a little weak but supposedly it had some filler so I blame that.

and pretty much everyone I've talked to rates the first season of Geass higher than the second. I still enjoyed it for sure but it was a mess in several areas iirc.

RODAN

Banned deucer.
im on a rollercoaster of emotions. PLZ be good it is one of my favourite shows of all time

dont disappoint me like euphonium s2 has. except the latest episode, which was really good. but still mostly mediocre leading up to that point.

one thing I like about yuri on ice is that I feel like all of the inner dialogue is actually things people would actually think. Also the fact that they don't feel the need to explain every movement is extremely nice.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Flip Flappers is AotY imo

This might change when I do my big winter season binge in the holidays (I doubt this'd make it drop tho) or if it fucks up the ending, but given how immensely strong it is atm it just completely out-does everything else that has aired so far this year imho. Almost every episode has been better than the previous from, like, episode 3 or 4 onwards (today's episode was utterly spectacular), and given just how strong it started out combined with me valuing a show improving throughout its run more than I do a consistent quality from start to finish (like is the case with 91 Days, which would be sitting in my personal AotY spot (just edging out Mob Psycho) if Flip Flappers didn't exist). I particularly liked a scene near the end of today's episode
where Yayaka and Cocona were fighting inside a giant crystal dome, with their memories from their childhood shown in all the different panels of the crystal with them smashing as they fought
which showed utterly stunning direction for a reasonably good (albeit simple/unobscure) metaphor and played really well on the narrative of the whole episode.

Last edited:
im on a rollercoaster of emotions. PLZ be good it is one of my favourite shows of all time

dont disappoint me like euphonium s2 has. except the latest episode, which was really good. but still mostly mediocre leading up to that point.
yeah the latest ep of hibike was really good, just watched it

asuka tanaka might be one of my favorite ever characters in general

Hey, do I lose anything by watching ghost in the Shell stand alone complex first? I'm thinking of watching that
in terms of understanding what's going in in SAC? not really, nah. you might be a bit iffy on some of the concepts and technologies because the show doesn't go into very much detail as to what a ghost is for example. but you'd probably miss out a bit in terms of your enjoyment of the original movie if you were to watch it afterwards. it's a bit more dialed back with regards to the cast and the size of the world, so you might end up not quite giving it a fair chance. if you feel like you might want to watch the movie at some point in time: just watch it first, it's not like it's very long. if you don't think you'd ever want to watch the movie then just dive straight into SAC and there shouldn't really be any problems.

I've been into the Anime Pripara a lot lately. Very good Anime Also with being into that my fave animes at moment are Salior Moon. Shugo Chara. Mermaid melody. Brothers conflict etc.etc...

I was freaking out in the latest episode of yuri on ice just because I recognized all the buildings while they are in Spain. That was fun and made up for the first 7 minutes which were basically a recap.
Also showing that the Sagrada Familia is still under construction is a nice touch.

Last edited:
im a little late but i binged pt 4 of jojo up to date yesterday....not too much to say that everyone else hasn't but its amazing. i still like part 3 a little more, but 4 is better in that its not just fight after fight (although part of that is why i liked 3 lol), and the characters are better developed. the big thing for me though is that the newest op is actually one of the only ops for any show ever that i actually like

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)