The Dark Knight Rises (spoilers itt)

Going off topic but the first Spider-Man film in 2002 was fucking awful as was the rest of the trilogy. Why do you think they rebooted it? The Amazing Spider-Man was great and its more true to the comics and how Spider-Man should be portrayed.
I personally thought the first Spider-man had a kind of poignancy and comic-inspired heart to it that the reboot didn't have -- it felt like it glided clunkily over the main story, I was unimpressed with the plot and dramatic technique, and I didn't think Andrew Garfield's performance made Peter Parker into an interesting or relatable character. And yeah, they rebooted it to make money. We can obviously agree to disagree though, I enjoyed the campiness of the first Spidey but many appreciated the reboot for whatever reason, and I do agree that Spider messrs 2 & 3 weren't so great.

On topic, I also felt it was a bit of a cop-out to see Selina and Bruce Wayne in Italy at the end, although I may have felt dissappointed if he had really died. It might have been more interesting to just see Alfred look up and smile -- and that's it (or even do a kind of half-smile that leaves us wondering if he's alive or not, Inception-style).

It might have been more interesting to just see Alfred look up and smile -- and that's it (or even do a kind of half-smile that leaves us wondering if he's alive or not, Inception-style).
boom, that would've been perfect and it's exactly what I thought was going to happen as it was happening.

As someone who has no idea what happens in any of the batman comics I thoroughly enjoyed the ending to the movie. I actually went to the trilogy showing yesterday so I got to see the start of the series all the way to the end, so I really liked the closure from the final scene. I can imagine why a lot of people would prefer a bit of ambiguity, but that almost seems too expected for a Christopher Nolan film.

Very pleasantly surprised by Anne Hathaway's performance.

When the bomb went off in the bay was I the only person thinking "holy shit tsunami"? No idea whether a 5 Mt bomb would actually cause a significant wave but pretty funny thought to have as the movie ends >_>

satisfying end to the trilogy. execution was good but nolan wasn't given too much wriggle room with the film which is why i felt the pacing was a bit off

anne hathaway's ass for mvp

Carl

or Varl
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
that Tate was Talia Al Ghul all along really shocked me -- my friend and I both had physical "mindfucked" moments of shock and kind of flailed around in our seats -- and I absolutely did not see it coming, and I summarily got pissed at guys coming out of the theater, casually confiding to their friends that "I didn't KNOW she was the villain, but I, like, knew something was up with her."
Not sure why you'd be pissed by someone saying that. It was hinted at earlier in the movie that she might not be good news. The conversation between Bane and the rich dude (the name escapes me ATM) where he's like flipping out and Bane goes "What do you mean? Everything is going according to plan" which was a scene right after Wayne Enterprises switches to her ownership. It was right at that point where I was like, "oh, hm, well that's not good." Obviously, I had no idea who her true identity was and her relation but I think the movie pretty much tells you that she's not who she seems.

No, it wasn't his back getting broken as I've known about that for years. And no it wasn't about Gotham going to shit either and no it isn't even about there being an heir either.

Batman would (and should) never willingly give up being Batman.

The only reason you had Dick and Damian and Azrael stepping up is because Batman was either paralyzed or kinda traveling through time at the moment. Terry only became Batman when Bruce Wayne became too old and even then, Bruce Wayne still played a large part acting as a leader for Terry, living vicariously through him to be Batman.

Batman faking his own fucking death to go live in Italy with Catwoman? Totally fucking stupid as Batman would never give up the mantle willingly. The movie was ruined the exact moment that Alfred saw Bruce and Selina in Italy.
Lol. So you didn't read arguably the most famous Batbook of all-time, The Dark Knight Returns. Bruce willingly gave up being Batman for years. Or a dozen other comics where Bruce has given up being Batman. Btw dude, this is NOLAN's interpretation of Batman. There is no "true" version of Batman, that stupid shit is only thought by people who don't know anything about the character's history.

Lol. So you didn't read arguably the most famous Batbook of all-time, The Dark Knight Returns. Bruce willingly gave up being Batman for years. Or a dozen other comics where Bruce has given up being Batman. Btw dude, this is NOLAN's interpretation of Batman. There is no "true" version of Batman, that stupid shit is only thought by people who don't know anything about the character's history.
He gave up because Jason Todd was killed. And then, he came back to being Batman at the end. At the core of Batman and Bruce Wayne's identity is the fact, the truth, that no matter what he does he can't escape being Batman until he is dead. Which, if he had died at the end of the film, would've been a-ok, but nope, they broke that rule.

He gave up because Jason Todd was killed. And then, he came back to being Batman at the end. At the core of Batman and Bruce Wayne's identity is the fact, the truth, that no matter what he does he can't escape being Batman until he is dead. Which, if he had died at the end of the film, would've been a-ok, but nope, they broke that rule.
So basically,

Bruce Wayne lives at the end...

So you hate the entire movie and the trilogy.

So basically,

Bruce Wayne lives at the end...

So you hate the entire movie and the trilogy.
If he had lived and still acted as Batman, I would have liked it. If he died and Robin took over, I would have liked it.

He doesn't die and he doesn't act as Batman, therefore, I do not like it, no.

Doesn't mean I don't like Begins or Dark Knight. Fucking love those two. But this one? Fuck it. It sucks. I hate it. I feel the same way about Spiderman 1 and 2 compared to 3 and a few more trilogies.

Carl

or Varl
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Well, that's pretty hyperbolic of you. It wasn't my ideal ending either but that doesn't suddenly make the whole film terrible.

It's pretty much just horrible endings and when my favorite characters in movies die that tend to ruin them for me. Those 2 incidents can boil my blood faster than any number of plot holes.

Like, say, the ending happened one of the two ways that I would've liked, and Alfred died. I'd still hate it, maybe even more.

Bruce Wayne is actually alive, because in that scene after his 'death' where Fox asked the engineers about the autopilot and they said it was fixed 6 months ago by Bruce Wayne. That means that the autopilot was working and Batman wasn't onboard when the nuke went off.

Sorry if this theory has already been mentioned, but by skimming the thread I didn't so.

Also, I wasn't really shocked when Tate was Talia Al Ghul. She as too innocent and everyone seemed to trust her too much. Generally in action movies that person ends up bad.

Also, when Bane was stealing the reactor core and he needed a handprint, even though there was a gun pointing at someones head Tate was far too willing to give the core to Bane

Bruce Wayne is actually alive, because in that scene after his 'death' where Fox asked the engineers about the autopilot and they said it was fixed 6 months ago by Bruce Wayne. That means that the autopilot was working and Batman wasn't onboard when the nuke went off.

Sorry if this theory has already been mentioned, but by skimming the thread I didn't so.

Also, I wasn't really shocked when Tate was Talia Al Ghul. She as too innocent and everyone seemed to trust her too much. Generally in action movies that person ends up bad.

Also, when Bane was stealing the reactor core and he needed a handprint, even though there was a gun pointing at someones head Tate was far too willing to give the core to Bane
Your theory is definitely correct. There are various other factors that contribute to the fact that Bruce is alive, including the fact that Blake (Robin) got a package giving him directions to the Batcave, the fact that the pearls were missing and Anne Hathaway was wearing them in that final shot at the table with Bruce, etc.

If he had lived and still acted as Batman, I would have liked it. If he died and Robin took over, I would have liked it.

He doesn't die and he doesn't act as Batman, therefore, I do not like it, no.

Doesn't mean I don't like Begins or Dark Knight. Fucking love those two. But this one? Fuck it. It sucks. I hate it. I feel the same way about Spiderman 1 and 2 compared to 3 and a few more trilogies.
It's pretty much just horrible endings and when my favorite characters in movies die that tend to ruin them for me. Those 2 incidents can boil my blood faster than any number of plot holes.

Like, say, the ending happened one of the two ways that I would've liked, and Alfred died. I'd still hate it, maybe even more.
I'm not sure you even know what you want. If the morals they had been selling for, I don't know, 3 whole movies didn't hint him leaving as the Batman to you, nothing could have. After they had finished everything he had no reason to be Batman anymore. That concept had been referred to countless times by multiple characters. And, as valiant as he was to just keep going, it was a huge sigh of relief for him to finally understand that there is no reason for him to be stubborn any longer when things were left in good hands.

Come on man, that the quintessential lesson of a superhero.

I'm not sure you even know what you want.
I'm pretty sure I know what I want. I wanted Alfred to not see Bruce and Selina in Italy. If that scene was not in the movie, I would've been fine with the movie.

Apparently, it's just not what you want me to want.

Earth-two Batman ring any bells? Or Flashpoint Batman? I mean, dude you can't debate with me. It's obvious you don't know what you're talking about. Reading a wikipedia entry isn't the same as reading a book. There are no rules to Batman. Start reading the books and then you'll understand the inconsistencies of a character in serialized fiction. Denny O'Neil, Bob Kane, Chuck Dixon, Greg Rucka, Grant Morrison, Alan Grant, Paul Dini, Matt Wagner, Neil Gaiman, Geoff Johns, Ed Brubaker, Peter Tomasi, Tony Daniel, Bruce Timm, Jim Aparo, Todd McFarlane, Mike Mignola, Neal Adams, Frank Miller, Paul Pope, Jeph Loeb, Tim Sale, Kelly Jones, on and on. There are so many different versions of Batman and who he is. The basic traits of the character is that he fights crime dressed as a Bat and his parents were killed, and guess what? Even that's not always true!
Thanks for playing.

Earth-two Batman ring any bells? Or Flashpoint Batman? I mean, dude you can't debate with me.
I can't debate with you because you're so full of yourself and your magical knowledge of everything Batman?

It's obvious you don't know what you're talking about. Reading a wikipedia entry isn't the same as reading a book. There are no rules to Batman. There are so many different versions of Batman and who he is. The basic traits of the character is that he fights crime dressed as a Bat and his parents were killed, and guess what? Even that's not always true!
Thanks for playing.
I don't think you're understanding me here, when I say Batman, I mean Bruce Wayne as Batman, the one everyone knows. Not his more punisher-esque dad as Batman. But I guess you can count Owlman as technically being a counter argument to what I think of Batman as well as any weird multi-universe variation.

But the standard is, you got a boy with dead parents who dons a mask and becomes a vigilante, who has such a deep conviction and drive that anything short of death will not stop him from eventually wearing the cape.

I'll admit that I don't know a lot about Earth-2, but still. In Just about every incarnation of Batman in every different media that I've read and watched, Batman and by proxy Bruce Wayne have always been the type of hero that will not surrender, nor give up until the end no matter how much he hates being Batman. It's who he is. Bruce Wayne is the mask and Batman is the person.

I can't debate with you because you're so full of yourself and your magical knowledge of everything Batman?
You can't debate with me because you're ignorant about something, and there's no way you have a chance at winning a debate when you're ignorant. Knowledge is what wins arguments.

I don't think you're understanding me here, when I say Batman, I mean Bruce Wayne as Batman, the one everyone knows. Not his more punisher-esque dad as Batman. But I guess you can count Owlman as technically being a counter argument to what I think of Batman as well as any weird multi-universe variation.

But the standard is, you got a boy with dead parents who dons a mask and becomes a vigilante, who has such a deep conviction and drive that anything short of death will not stop him from eventually wearing the cape.

I'll admit that I don't know a lot about Earth-2, but still. In Just about every incarnation of Batman in every different media that I've read and watched, Batman and by proxy Bruce Wayne have always been the type of hero that will not surrender, nor give up until the end no matter how much he hates being Batman. It's who he is. Bruce Wayne is the mask and Batman is the person.
But that's what I'm trying to tell you. Even with Bruce, his characterization is really different. This is Nolan's view of Batman and it's just one of many. You have an idea of Batman from another media form, and that's just the view of whoever created that media form.

In Batman, there is a recurring debate that Bruce's war on crime is less a noble act and more of a self-pacification due to his childhood trauma. Bruce dresses up like a Bat to scare people because he's fucked in the head and not at peace. And Nolan touches on that through Alfred.

What I actually loved in this film was that Bruce finally was at peace and lived a happy life. On the Batman forum I frequent, many fans said it was the best ending in all comic films. Seeing a happy Bruce was great for once, because most of the time he's in constant psychological pain.

Not sure why you'd be pissed by someone saying that. It was hinted at earlier in the movie that she might not be good news. The conversation between Bane and the rich dude (the name escapes me ATM) where he's like flipping out and Bane goes "What do you mean? Everything is going according to plan" which was a scene right after Wayne Enterprises switches to her ownership. It was right at that point where I was like, "oh, hm, well that's not good." Obviously, I had no idea who her true identity was and her relation but I think the movie pretty much tells you that she's not who she seems.
Fair enough I guess, I just didn't figure it out. I guess I shouldn't trust Marion Cotillard anymore, esp. considering Nolan's used her in the same way twice now. (and basically used all the same actors from inception in the batman series besides leo, come to think of it).

And yeah, maybe it's a cop out that he leaves, but I think it has to do not with his personality but with what Bruce Wayne feels Gotham needs ... he gave up the mantle for 7years because Gotham needed him to be Dent's murderer. I think it made sense that he had gotten to the point where he felt his crime-fighting presence wasn't necessary as he had John Blake, and besides, it's a slightly different version of the mythos anyway. Definitely didn't ruin the entire movie for me.

I was getting pumped mid movie that the little boy Batman saved in Batman Begins would've been the polic officer who would therefore end up being Robin.

However the movie was definitely awesome but it still didn't top TDK and I knew it wouldn't.

it was pretty good but im surprised people are thinking that alfred hallucinated and that wayne actually died. how dumb and depressing would that be lol...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)