The Fysical Phitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
ok Lee forgive my noobishness, but what exactly is the seated tricep extension and kickback? I know the skullcrusher, but that's it.

Scimjara

Bert Stare
is a Tutor Alumnus
Yeah I figured eventually. Farrk that's after a year and a half of working out all natural? What did you eat to get those gains haha.
Yea. Will be my two year "anniversary" this February. lol. What ever as long as I hit my macros .

Try weighted dips for triceps that along with close grip bench press and some extension. basically what Lee said cause those are awesome lol.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, I struggle with dips because of my shoulder injury, so it's easier to do the skullcrushers and extensions. Thanks though!

Weighted Dips and Close Grip Bench are fantastic for triceps. Skullcrushers are the best for the long head of the triceps (the one closest to your torso), and Rope Extensions are great all around for the triceps.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Well I don't consider myself a lifting know it all, so I'll ask. I really want to develop better forearms for better gripping. It's all about strength, but building some nice forearms would be idea too. My biceps are not that big, neither are my triceps, only reason why I look somewhat bulky is because of my naturally big shoulders, though I would trade these for a nice pair of arms any day. Any of you all have any tips for bigger arms?

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
As for gripping/raw hand strength, work your way through these

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0059XGXMM?dpm=1&pi=75x75&qid=1345184043&ref_=mp_s_a_2&sr=8-2

convenient little tool...can be done just about anywhere and it goes right up to 350lbs so there's lots of room for progression. they're brutal too; I'm only on the 200lbs one and can barely close it but I'm getting more into my rock climbing so it's a little project of mine.

@waterbomb: I dunno but I quite like tricep extensions. It's easier to get up to the big hefty weights and it feels like a more functional
movement than the other exercises I mentioned (I imagine I'm taking a throw-in, football style hehe)

Well I don't consider myself a lifting know it all, so I'll ask. I really want to develop better forearms for better gripping. It's all about strength, but building some nice forearms would be idea too. My biceps are not that big, neither are my triceps, only reason why I look somewhat bulky is because of my naturally big shoulders, though I would trade these for a nice pair of arms any day. Any of you all have any tips for bigger arms?
think about trying this for arms

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_oneday_arm_cure

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
As for gripping/raw hand strength, work your way through these

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0059XGXMM?dpm=1&pi=75x75&qid=1345184043&ref_=mp_s_a_2&sr=8-2

convenient little tool...can be done just about anywhere and it goes right up to 350lbs so there's lots of room for progression. they're brutal too; I'm only on the 200lbs one and can barely close it but I'm getting more into my rock climbing so it's a little project of mine.

@waterbomb: I dunno but I quite like tricep extensions. It's easier to get up to the big hefty weights and it feels like a more functional
movement than the other exercises I mentioned (I imagine I'm taking a throw-in, football style hehe)
I've been told about this things, but I don't know, it's not that I don't want to believe in them but I just don't think these things will give me the results I want. Have you tried them, personally? I'm not questioning your answer by the way, I've just seen this things in almost everyone's house just laying there, and I don't see them with big arms and shit.

Lee

@ Thick Club
I got the 200lbs one a few weeks ago - my arms aren't any bigger but I feel as though my grip strength has improved out of all proportion to the training I've done with it. The suggestion was more aimed at the 'really want to develop better forearms for better gripping' remark rather than the 'want bigger arms' one. I see treadmills in peoples houses but they're still fat bastards; it's hardly criteria to condemn a product by. If you're looking to add size to your forearms then view my smogon profile, scroll past the birthday messages and you'll find a post by Scimjara in which he tells me his fave forearm-building exercises. Probably worth a look because the guy has sweet forearms.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
I've been told about this things, but I don't know, it's not that I don't want to believe in them but I just don't think these things will give me the results I want. Have you tried them, personally? I'm not questioning your answer by the way, I've just seen this things in almost everyone's house just laying there, and I don't see them with big arms and shit.
I forget if you have access to a gym or not, but deadlifting has been AWESOME for my forearms so far since I started working out again.

Also challenge all your friends to arm wrestling constantly. You'll get big forearms in no time!

Scimjara

Bert Stare
is a Tutor Alumnus
One thing I dont think I've mentioned about forearms is that if you use straps. You should stop and never touch them again maybe for heavy shrugs but that's about it. Once I stopped using straps my forearms and not only did my forearms grow instantly but my brachialis also got a lot bigger.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
I got this from a convention for the tournament I went to, which also happened to have bodybuilding section, and a huge one:

It doesn't look like a lot here, but I got a SHITLOAD of fat burners, creatine, and protein, BCAA samples. I think will help my body achievements, especially because it was free lol.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
Hey guys, check it out. I just finished my first workout, and I need you to judge my progress. This is how I was before I started:

And this is what I look like now:

Any comments, advice or suggestions on how I can improve on this change?

I got this from a convention for the tournament I went to, which also happened to have bodybuilding section, and a huge one:

[PICTURE HERE]

It doesn't look like a lot here, but I got a SHITLOAD of fat burners, creatine, and protein, BCAA samples. I think will help my body achievements, especially because it was free lol.
is that...

muscle milk powder? they make that? lemme know how that tastes. i like muscle milk, but shit's expensive

With my somewhat leg injury healed, I decided to join my cross country team, just to improve my endurance and speed for when lacrosse starts. I have to say, it's a lot harder than I thought!

I did my 5K yesterday, and my time was 22:37. I thought it was a pretty good time, and I was among the faster ones for girls. I was pretty exhausted afterwards, though, I'll have to work on it.

Any advice just on how to improve in general? Was my time decent-ish?

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
AK that's a respectable time for anyone, especially girls. I ran cross country for a season and my times were around 23-24 minutes, and I'm only average. Best advice I can give you is to figure out a goal time (ie 20 minutes, 18 minutes, etc), then determine what pace that is exactly and practice a bunch on the treadmill. This will allow you to get a feel for how fast you need to be moving to maintain the correct pace, so your body can do it by auto-pilot.

Thanks.

I still go to the gym everyday for weights, however I usually only do a warm up run for like 5 minutes. I'll try and start running more often, however I'm not so sure if it's the best idea to run so fast for so long right before weightlifting. And I'll be too tired to run after. I'm not sure what to do, I only have time to go to the gym once a day.

I guess I can alternate between working out and running, but then my fitness schedule will get all messed up...hmmm

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
Thanks.

I still go to the gym everyday for weights, however I usually only do a warm up run for like 5 minutes. I'll try and start running more often, however I'm not so sure if it's the best idea to run so fast for so long right before weightlifting. And I'll be too tired to run after. I'm not sure what to do, I only have time to go to the gym once a day.

I guess I can alternate between working out and running, but then my fitness schedule will get all messed up...hmmm
you should alter your schedule and add in days for straight running, if you're serious about getting your time down. You can maintain a healthy fitness schedule at 4 days of weights per week and then devote the other three days completely to running.

Lee

@ Thick Club
would personally avoid treadmills. Even if you were racing on road they're a poor substitute since they don't engage certain muscles as fully as traditional running, but for somebody looking to do XC it'll be much better for you to get out and do some multi-terrain running

oh and treadmills are boring too

your time is solid for a beginner of any gender and you honestly have one of the best attitudes in this thread so kudos. Start running more often but just don't increase your mileage per week too quickly...iirc the safe increase is +10% per week. Get some comfortable running shoes. Throw in some incline work. Listen to your coach, develop a healthy rivalry with your teammates and, honestly, just enjoy it. The true trick to getting better at running is to get to the stage where you truthfully enjoy it and can't wait till your next run. Once you get there, it's plain sailing.

you should alter your schedule and add in days for straight running, if you're serious about getting your time down. You can maintain a healthy fitness schedule at 4 days of weights per week and then devote the other three days completely to running.
I'm going to have to do that it seems. Practice right now is in the mornings at my school, and I go to the gym in the evening. You're right, 4 days of weights is plenty, and 3 weeks of running sounds very reasonable. (My couches actually tell me to run 6 days a week on my own, I doubt I can do that with weightlifting also.)

Of course, this is all for the summer, no idea what I'm going to do when school starts, where I have practice after school, then homework and stuff. Ughh...I guess free time is the price to pay for wanting good physical health and good grades, heh.

would personally avoid treadmills. Even if you were racing on road they're a poor substitute since they don't engage certain muscles as fully as traditional running, but for somebody looking to do XC it'll be much better for you to get out and do some multi-terrain running

oh and treadmills are boring too

your time is solid for a beginner of any gender and you honestly have one of the best attitudes in this thread so kudos. Start running more often but just don't increase your mileage per week too quickly...iirc the safe increase is +10% per week. Get some comfortable running shoes. Throw in some incline work. Listen to your coach, develop a healthy rivalry with your teammates and, honestly, just enjoy it. The true trick to getting better at running is to get to the stage where you truthfully enjoy it and can't wait till your next run. Once you get there, it's plain sailing.
Agreed that treadmills are boring, it's a pain for me to even run those 5 minute warm ups, I don't know how I'd do 30+ minute running sessions. Thankfully, the gym I go to is in this huge country club-like area, with lots of fields and open spaces around the area. I'll have no problem running there!

Thanks for saying my time is decent, I definitely felt like I gave it my all, of course that's not good enough is it? :) My school is extremely friendly and I have lots of good friends on the team, so I'll have no issues with enjoyment or friendly rivalries. We already race and try to see who finishes the last mile first, haha.

Just curious, what's your fastest time for a 5K? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)