Project The 'Lure that Threat'! Neverused Edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orphic

perhaps
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Approved by Raseri
OP adapted from unfixable's old thread.
In need of a banner!

Lures have been around in Pokemon for a long time, they act as a way for your team to beat an otherwise unbeatable wall or stop to your sweeper. Lures are Pokemon that use sets to draw in their usual counters and expose of them with surprise. This can also mean either KO'ing, weakening, or crippling them for a teammate to take them on more effectively. Lures are a tad uncommon, and some people just use flat out bad lures. A lure may be good for one thing, but sacrificing a key component is not a good lure. For example, running Magic Coat on Klinklang seems good in theory, bouncing back Taunts, Thunder Waves, and Will-O-Wisps; however, this means Klinklang can only use it once, effectively making it somewhat useless and easy to predict around. You end up being prone to being outplayed, making it more detrimental than beneficial. Lures should be able to consistently be as / more effective than their normal counterparts.So this is how the project will work:

1. Similar to other projects, each week I will nominate a common wall or threat that teams typically struggle with. Over the following week, the NU community will nominate the lures they've been using to handle said wall or threat. Please provide calcs and evidence for your lures. This is different to the 'counter that threat' thread, where checks and counters are always more obvious than lures.

2. After the week has passed, I will pick a winner for best lure for the named threat or wall, and possibly a runner up and third place depending on number of entries.

3. The winner and their lure will be saved and recorded.

Things to consider when nominating a lure:

1. Does this Pokemon have to sacrifice anything important? If you're losing a key part of a set just for an uncommon threat that isn't even lured in that well, it's not worth it and this is a bad lure.

2. Does this Pokemon consistently perform its role? If you're sacrificing too much and not benefiting on a regular basis, it's not a good lure.

3. Does this Pokemon gain anything important when using this moveset? The contrary to point number one, does this pokemon or the team benefit from the lure.

4. Could this method be better aided through teammates? Does your lure need team support to carry out it's role effectively.

Important:

Example of a bad lure:

Zangoose @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Toxic Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Facade
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Hidden Power [Grass]

This would act as a lure for Quagsire or Rhydon, but a Close Combat or Facade would actually be better. Additionally, you lose the option of Swords Dance or Quick Attack to help Zangoose do its main job on the team.

Example of a good lure:

Mesprit @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic/Psyshock
- Signal Beam
- Coverage
- Coverage/Healing Wish/U-turn

This is a very common lure in NU right now, and one everyone will know. Since Malamar is such a threat and can set up and destroy teams from early game, using psychic types as its bait to set up, this lure was developed. Malamar thinks it can come in safely on Mesprit as it usually runs max special defense and can absorb all Mesprits coverage, and so to prevent this threat from destroying your team, Signal Beam is a fantastic move to help Mesprit lure and take down Malamar.

Let's get started with week 1!
This weeks threat is:

Magneton!
This thing has plagued NU since it dropped and plenty of lures have been thrown around to take it down, show me what's been working best for you!​

The winner of week 1 is Punchshroom's Mega Audino! I loved this lure, it was unique and worked very well as a lure and did it consistently, I've even used this a few times.

Audino @ Audinite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Fire Blast
- Dazzling Gleam
-

Last edited:

A

Joker fan
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
NIGHTMARES (Miltank) (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Body Slam
- Stealth Rock/Heal Bell
- Earthquake
- Milk Drink

Hey guys, A here. I know Miltank isn't the best but Body Slam Miltank in general just lures out things like Sub Ana, SubCharge/Sub Magnet Pull Magneton easily, as Miltank can't do anything back. Sacrificing either SR (If your team already has one), or cleric support allows you to use EQ, bopping magneton switching in for decent damage, or just magneton staying in general. I mean specially defensive would handle magnet better, but they'd probably switch out knowing they aren't doing much to you anyway.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
For the record:
Pyroar is stopped by Quagsire and other bulky water types, and HP Grass provides a way for Pyroar to take it down. This can happen either on switch in, or, as Pyroar acts as a lure, Quagsire comes in to take a Fire Blast and is taken down turn two by HP Grass, lure job completed. Additionally, this lure Pyroar is equipped with Will-O-Wisp to catch Rhydon and other offensive rock types that resist Pyroar's STABs as well as pokemon like Cacturne which will attempt to revenge kill Pyroar with Sucker Punch only to be hit with a Will-O-Wisp instead
You got the targets switched up: HP Grass targets the Rock-types while Wisp softens up the bulky Waters (Quagsire being a bad example since Hyper Voice cleanly 2HKOes already). Also, Wisp's primary use was to cripple Hariyama.

Audino @ Audinite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Fire Blast
- Dazzling Gleam
-

The threat of a super fat Mega Audino setting up can be enough incentive for the opponent to send in Magneton, one of the few immediate Mega Audino responses available in the tier. However, Magneton would always lose to Mega Audino if it switches into Calm Mind, as it is unable to KO (or even 2HKO if not Specs) while getting roasted by Fire Blast in return. Heck, even unboosted Fire Blast can OHKO Magneton on the switch.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Magneton Flash Cannon vs. +1 172 HP / 0 SpD Mega Audino: 222-264 (56.9 - 67.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Magneton Flash Cannon vs. +1 172 HP / 0 SpD Mega Audino: 150-176 (38.4 - 45.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+1 252+ SpA Mega Audino Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Magneton: 256-302 (105.7 - 124.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Mega Audino Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Magneton: 256-302 (105.7 - 124.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
It can be tricky to lure Magneton without it considering simply Volt Switching away, while still being effective against Scarf Magneton sets. Calm Mind Mega Audino can pressure Magneton users to stay in and try to weaken Mega Audino. Yes, Mega Audino can end up being too crippled to do much more after taking down Magneton, but if that paves the way for something like Klinklang, Scyther, Swellow, etc. to sweep the foe, it has done its job.

Fletchinder @ no item

Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 112 SpA / 144 Spe
Lonely / Naughty Nature

- Acrobatics
- Overheat / Fire Blast
- Will-o-Wisp
- Roost / U-turn

Okay so this is becoming more common but Swords Dance and/or stallbreaker Fletchinder (the two sets on the in-progress analysis) are more usual and are both totally countered by Magneton. Overheat OHKOs Specs and 2HKOs Eviolite (unless running HP / SpD), and the speed EVs outrun Modest Specs Magneton.

The main loss is obviously Swords Dance but, to be honest, the threat of having Swords Dance is often enough for the opponent to bring in Flying-type resists like Rhydon or Lanturn anyway, so I don't feel it loses out on all that much. Plus losing Swords Dance gives you the option of running U-turn, which can be very useful if you keep Stealth Rock at bay.

Cradily @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Toxic
- Giga Drain Earth Power
- Hidden Power Rock/ Stealth Rock

It's true, that's a Cradly's set without its main STAB move. But it has Recover to restore its own HP and Toxic and Hidden Power Rock keep their features. But unusual but effective move as Earth Power is used to hit oblivious Magneton that switch in "safely" against it.

252+ SpA Magneton Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Cradily: 186-222 (49.4 - 59%) -- 68% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Magneton Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Cradily: 282-332 (75 - 88.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Cradily Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Magneton: 292-348 (121.1 - 144.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
4 SpA Cradily Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Magneton: 196-232 (81.3 - 96.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

You can replace Stealth Rock if it's used, leaving Giga Drain.

Last edited:

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Signal Beam
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Healing Wish

I've been using HP Ground Mesprit lately as a lure in Magnetons, as they like coming in on resisted psychics. Being able to out speed Magneton and ohkoing with HP ground makes for an effective lure, and Colbur also can bluff as a scarf to make them think you're locked into a resisted psychic.

Magneton @ Eviolite
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Magnet Rise
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Magnet Rise Ton is really a fun thing for lure other Magnetons. When you have an opportunity just trap the Magneton, use Magnet Rise and win using HP Ground, just make sure to be timid to attack before.

Calcs:
252 SpA Magneton Hidden Power Ground vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Magneton: 336-396 (138.8 - 163.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Magneton Hidden Power Ground vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Magneton: 224-264 (92.9 - 109.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

Last edited:

Pokedots

How should I live to be happy
is a Contributor Alumnus

Rotom-Fan @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Thunderbolt
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power Ground
- Will-O-Wisp

LO Rotom-Fan is actually really strong, and while it took a big hit with the rise of Lanturn and Stunfisk, it can still do significant damage to them between Will-O-Wisp and HP Ground (Hex Rotom is definitely a better lure for these two though, and it's really good in this meta, use it). Magneton's a very common Rotom-F switch-in, so HP Ground is a really cute lure, and fairly unexpected

Punchshroom

Edit:
I think you only post lures for Magneton here. You might wanna post it to another general lure thread.
...Did I seriously just post in the wrong thread again? Sigh, might as well come up with another lure and post my set in the Creative / Underrated Sets thread.

Jesus fuking HP Ground mons everywhere. From now on every lure I post here will not be carrying Hidden Power >.>

Leafeon @ Apicot Berry
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Natural Gift

Apicot Natural Gift provides a 100 BP Ground-type hit, cleanly OHKOing Eviolite Magneton even without a boost. It has uses outside of luring Magneton as well, due to its coverage against Fire- and Steel-types.

Last edited:
Jesus fuking HP Ground mons everywhere. From now on every lure I post here will not be carrying Hidden Power >.>

Vivillon @ Life Orb
Ability: Compoundeyes
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Quiver Dance
- Hurricane
- Giga Drain

The use of Life Orb gives Vivillon immediate power and thus more presence mid-game (where it doesn't manage to set up nearly as easily), but more importantly it gives Giga Drain enough power to OHKO Rhydon after +1 (which is why I assume people used Energy Ball Vivillon). LO Giga Drain is a nice combo regardless.

This set takes advantage of the fact that Vivillon is running HP Ground to cover both Rocks and Steels. However, various bulky Flying resists such as Rhydon, Carracosta, Lanturn, and Stunfisk can shrug off boosted HP Ground and counterattack. Giga Drain straight up OHKOes both Rock-types, and its healing effect allows Vivillon to actually make use of Quiver Dance's Special Defense boost to grant it a much better matchup against Lanturn and Stunfisk. Luring bulky Rock-types is very helpful for Normals and Fires like Tauros, Pyroar, and Zangoose, while luring bulky Electrics lifts a huge burden off Magneton. Of course, this Vivillon is vulnerable to Magneton, but your wincons shouldn't have too much trouble with it if you're resorting to this.
I think you only post lures for Magneton here. You might wanna post it to another general lure thread.

Orphic

perhaps
Well this has gotten a lot of responses in the first day of week one, thank you everybody who's contributed so far, these are some fantastic lures, and I'm glad about not getting too many HP Ground mons!

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
does hp ground zangoose count?
i'll edit in something worthwhile about 12 hours from now

edit: sigh i couldn't come up with anything except "hp ground [random mon mag beats]" or flame charge fletch so i'll just be a guest here :/

Last edited:
....hits garbo for no recoil? meh you're not real if you use cc zang >.>
Not sure if this is a joke, but isn't CC the standard option if you don't run Swords Dance? It's stupidly good against rock types. Also, HP Ground does less than 50% to an eviolite set without any SpA investment, and you're most definitely not real if you run SpA Zangoose. CC easily OHKOs.

Orphic

perhaps
Week two will start when smogon stops lagging and I can post and update the archive with my faves from last week!

Reactions: nv

Orphic

perhaps
Okay so here we go with week two!
This week we're gonna go with a wall, and it is:

Ferroseed!

Never a good sight at team match up, especially when you realise you have nothing for this pesky little guy that stops your main sweeper, what a pickle. Better come up with a good lure and quick! Go!​

Punchshroom

Samurott @ Life Orb
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Superpower
- Knock Off / Taunt

Ferroseed is one of the few mons capable of tanking Samurott's famed 3 move coverage in Water + Ice + (non Hidden Power) Grass coverage. However, Samurott always had the tools necessary to break Ferroseed, it's just that Toad's departure making Grass Knot less of a necessity allows Samurott to adjust its movesets more flexibly, but people ain't catching on to that yet heh.
4 Atk Life Orb Samurott Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 47-56 (16 - 19.1%) -- possible 6HKO
4 Atk Life Orb Samurott Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferroseed: 174-205 (59.5 - 70.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

4 Atk Life Orb Samurott Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 117-138 (40 - 47.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
The combination of Knock Off + Superpower or Superpower + Taunt, in that order, can either heavily cripple Ferroseed beyond repair or leave it a sitting duck with nearly half of its health shaved off and thrown off its game. Either scenario sets Ferroseed up for the future KO, as Ferroseed will be hard pressed to come back from either of these. Superpower isn't bad outside of Ferroseed either, as it hits Lanturn harder than Grass Knot, while Knock Off is a good softening tool (especially in the case of Lanturn) to ensure foes won't withstand Samurott's onslaughts later on. Taunt is nice for stopping shenanigans like Calm Mind, status ailments, Shell Smash, and recovery.

Mawile @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Fire Fang
- Sucker Punch

Mawile's popularity may have taken a drop with the tier shifts but it's still very dangerous. Fire Fang allows it to get past the ever so troublesome Ferroseed and also can catch magneton thinking it can switch in. Setting up a swords dance on the switch in means it will always be able to OHKO but even without boosting it still hits it for solid damage.

252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Mawile Fire Fang vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 203-244 (69.5 - 83.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Mawile Fire Fang vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 406-478 (139 - 163.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Kabutops @ Watmel Berry
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 252 Atk/ 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Natural Gift

So Ferroseed is one of the better stops to Kabutops. Resisting both STAB attacks and being able to recover off leech seed makes it a hard stop to any Kabutops trying to pull of a sweep. Until now.
The lure here is kinda simple. Watmel Berry + Natural is a base 100 fire type attack, letting it break through the bulky grass types such as Ferroseed, Tangela, and Vileplume that would normally wall it and even kill it. This set is almost never saw coming and is a very effective lure.

Kabutops @ Watmel Berry
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 252 Atk/ 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Natural Gift

So Ferroseed is one of the better stops to Kabutops. Resisting both STAB attacks and being able to recover off leech seed makes it a hard stop to any Kabutops trying to pull of a sweep. Until now.
The lure here is kinda simple. Watmel Berry + Natural is a base 100 fire type attack, letting it break through the bulky grass types such as Ferroseed, Tangela, and Vileplume that would normally wall it and even kill it. This set is almost never saw coming and is a very effective lure.
Thing is, for all Grass-types besides Ferroseed (and Torterra I guess), Life Orb Stone Edge has only 2.5% less power than Watmel Berry Natural Gift. Wouldn't it be better to run Superpower in the last moveslot, as it means you can still keep your Life Orb which gives a much-needed boost to your STABs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)