Project The Next Best Thing (Uxie Voting)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virizion @ Light Clay
Ability: Justified
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Taunt
- Giga Drain

Anti-lead Virizion is different and pretty cool. Great match-up against Seismitoad leads, and Virizion's offensive presence is enough to force in walls where you can setup screens against it. Taunt is cool for preventing rocks, or stopping annoying walls in general. Virizion takes about 50% from 252+ Mega Steelix Heavy Slam, so it can taunt the first turn ensuring they don't get up rocks and you will be able to get both screens up (assuming you go for Reflect right after taunt)

upload_2015-3-1_9-4-24.png

Virizion @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade / Stone Edge
- Close Combat

With heliolisk probably leaving, Sub SD Virizion is really cool because it no longer fears being bopped behind a sub by Hyper Voice. With a Sub up, Virizion can use it's great natural bulk and good typing to take scalds or earthquakes from even the strongest of Defensive mons. Substitute also prevents Viriz from being revenge killed by archeops, which is one of the most common checks for Viriz on offensive teams.

Oh and also i'm pushing this back one day so that we get more noms because 2 isnt enough ;_;

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Oh and also i'm pushing this back one day so that we get more noms because 2 isnt enough ;_;
There really isn't to much you can do to customize Virizion that isn't already standard or just bad. Aside from running a random coverage move to hit something the two best ideas have already been done.
The other stuff that looked kind of interesting:
  • Sacred Sword (the problem with this is that there really isn't to much that uses a Defensive boosting move aside from Gurdurr which will just recover all of its health back with Drain Punch)
  • Nature Power (its a random neutral coverage move which defeats the purpose of this thread)
  • Quick Attack (bad priority that is unstabbed and pretty useless considering Virizion's speed tier)
  • Roar (not really the best phaser and doesn't fit on a more offensively based set)
  • Sleep Talk / Rest / Calm Mind (this seems really outdone by other Cro users and gets beat by anything setting up Calm Minds with Psyshock)
  • Toxic (everything that resists your STAB moves is a Poison-type or has Magic Bounce so this is useless)
  • Work Up (going mixed seemed like the most interesting way to do it but it really just seems inferior and not worth it compared to other sets)
  • X-Scissor and Aerial Ace (inferior coverage)
  • Retaliate for revenge killing (really meh considering you have more powerful moves with Close Combat)
Pretty much the above were things that Virizion could do other than its main sets, and all of them are pretty ass. Sub and Dual Screens were the only ones that I would even consider using (screens probably not so much).

Just open this up for voting and choose a more customizable mon for next week.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Virizion @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Calm Nature
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Close Combat
- Roar / Taunt

This is a bulky Virizion set I've been running. It's main niche is to beat special waters reliably Nature and 88 SpD EVs make sure I don't get 2HKOed by neither Ludicolo nor Seismitoad, and the rest goes into physical defense to make sure that I get good all-around bulk. More bulk can be put so I take Life Orb Ice Beams better from Gatr / Samurott, but that's customizable, and Giga Drain and faster speed makes sure that their 2HKO never actually materializes.

I've seen other players run Taunt over Close Combat, which is also a very good move, but I decided to use Close Combat given that it's a strong damaging move even with - Atk nature. All else equal against opponents with equal physical and special bulk, Close Combat does significantly more damage. And seeing Giga Drain and the bulk, players might be tempted to switch into likes of their special walls like Hariyama, or their Fire-type directly, and Close Combat does a number even with - Atk nature. I put - Atk nature because Giga Drain damage is compulsory in order to finish off Water-types that I really want to beat, and Close Combat is a luxury move I get to use against counters on the switch-in, and that damage output being slightly less is still very acceptable. Also Close Combat also makes sure that Ludicolo gets beat 1v1 while doing signficantly less damage. Roar is roar, stacks hazards damage while denying setup sweepers. As I said I've also seen Taunt, also probably better now Steelix is gone and there will be more SR users that Virizion can taunt safely. Roar is cool too, though. Nearly a foolproof counter to special waters, and I think this type of set may be seeing more use without Feraligatr being such a dominating presence in the meta!

Oh and sorry mont my set must be bad ;_;

There really isn't to much you can do to customize Virizion that isn't already standard or just bad. Aside from running a random coverage move to hit something the two best ideas have already been done.
The other stuff that looked kind of interesting:
  • Sacred Sword (the problem with this is that there really isn't to much that uses a Defensive boosting move aside from Gurdurr which will just recover all of its health back with Drain Punch)
  • Nature Power (its a random neutral coverage move which defeats the purpose of this thread)
  • Quick Attack (bad priority that is unstabbed and pretty useless considering Virizion's speed tier)
  • Roar (not really the best phaser and doesn't fit on a more offensively based set)
  • Sleep Talk / Rest / Calm Mind (this seems really outdone by other Cro users and gets beat by anything setting up Calm Minds with Psyshock)
  • Toxic (everything that resists your STAB moves is a Poison-type or has Magic Bounce so this is useless)
  • Work Up (going mixed seemed like the most interesting way to do it but it really just seems inferior and not worth it compared to other sets)
  • X-Scissor and Aerial Ace (inferior coverage)
  • Retaliate for revenge killing (really meh considering you have more powerful moves with Close Combat)
Pretty much the above were things that Virizion could do other than its main sets, and all of them are pretty ass. Sub and Dual Screens were the only ones that I would even consider using (screens probably not so much).

Just open this up for voting and choose a more customizable mon for next week.
Just a couple more things I was hoping to see:
  • Defensive Set (Raseri and iplaytennislol im looking at you)
  • Work Up Mixed (which actually seems really cool)
  • Mono-Attacking Stallbreaker (sub cm synth, taunt cm synth)
  • Type Resist Berrys to help deal with specific threats (yache for gatr)
marilli's set above is really cool as well. none of these sets are going to be as effective as the standard sets, but if we can discover something else that gives Virizion a cool niche in the metagame it doesnt hurt to give 1 more day for nominations

Virizion @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Focus Blast
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Flying]

This is a "standard" CM Life Orb Virizon. But instead of HP Fire/HP Rock/Substitute/Synthesis, it carries HP Flying for counterpart Virizon but also where is possible to hit weak Fighting- without Focus Blast accuracy unforseens.

252 SpA Life Orb Virizion Hidden Power Flying vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Virizion: 213-255 (65.7 - 78.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Virizion Hidden Power Flying vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Sawk: 169-200 (57.8 - 68.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Virizion Hidden Power Flying vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Gurdurr: 153-182 (40.9 - 48.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Virizion Hidden Power Flying vs. 0 HP / 140 SpD Hariyama: 164-195 (38.2 - 45.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Virizion Hidden Power Flying vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Hariyama: 146-172 (34 - 40%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Last edited:

Virizion @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Substitute

This is the set I've been using during the NU suspect, and it's my MVP 99% of the time. Virizion's typing + speed forces out a lot of threats, so it's extremely easy to get a sub up. After that, just spam CC or start to set up. It also seconds as a Xatu lure since people generally don't expect Stone Edge. Leftovers are chosen instead of berries / Lo is because this is also a decent Helio check.

If you don't have trouble with Vivilion, Xatu, Scyther, Rotom-F(an),Togetic or Mantine, feel free to swap it out for Leaf Blade or with Zen Headbutt. They all have their uses, but I find Stone Edge to be the most useful.

Finally, Virizion's special defense stat lets it survive lots moves such as Helio's Hyper Voice, and it lets it sub vs passive things such as Lanturn, Rhyhorn, etc.

Replays:

https://www.replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nususpecttest-210668717 - Virizion sweep near the end, sets up on Helio's Volt Switch.
https://www.replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nususpecttest-210850673 - Mostly showing Virizion's bulk, but a good battle either way.
https://www.replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nususpecttest-211261325 - Near the end, it could've gone either way, but once I got the sub, Xatu was forced to U-turn into Mawile who couldn't Intimidate me.
https://www.replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nususpecttest-210865471 - Virizion setting up on Lanturn, and forcing him to sack Taurous to break the sub. (He misplayed here, and he could've used Steelix to break it, but w/e)
sorry but this is literally the exact same set i posted @_@. Feel free to edit your post to make it different but as of now this submission doesn't count.

Virizion @ Leftovers
EVs: 228 HP / 252 SpD / 28 Spe
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Roar
- Synthesis
- Taunt

252 SpA Life Orb Pyroar Fire Blast vs. 228 HP / 252+ SpD Virizion: 250-296 (65.7 - 77.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
BROKEN

Raseri and I were talking one day about a bulky Viriz set. He immediately noticed that Virizion had a great support movepool so we figured a sp. def set could work the best as it just chews hits. Another example of this mons bulk is that a modest Samurott's ice beam fails to 2 hit ko. This set pairs very well with hazard stack as it can shuffle your opponents team around with roar. The speed is there to outpace lead barbaracle by one point and prevent it from getting up rocks. Lastly giga drain is there simply for reliable STAB and synthesis is there to obviously heal yourself reliably.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Virizion @ Leftovers
EVs: 228 HP / 252 SpD / 28 Spe
Careful Nature
- Giga Drain
- Roar
- Synthesis
- Taunt

252 SpA Life Orb Pyroar Fire Blast vs. 228 HP / 252+ SpD Virizion: 250-296 (65.7 - 77.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
BROKEN

Raseri and I were talking one day about a bulky Viriz set. He immediately noticed that Virizion had a great support movepool so we figured a sp. def set could work the best as it just chews hits. Another example of this mons bulk is that a modest Samurott's ice beam fails to 2 hit ko. This set pairs very well with hazard stack as it can shuffle your opponents team around with roar. The speed is there to outpace lead barbaracle by one point and prevent it from getting up rocks. Lastly giga drain is there simply for reliable STAB and synthesis is there to obviously heal yourself reliably.
Really cool set, one thing - I assume you meant a calm nature, and not careful, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)