Resource The ORAS NU Teambuilding Lab [rozes'd]

Status
Not open for further replies.
quoting cause got paged

I actually just saw your request and realized I had a team with SD Plume already lol. SunPlume is fucking unexpected and any mon which is threatened out by Defensive plume can and will get scared and switch out giving you a free setup. Crustle is really necessary to just throw hazards down because Plume isn't all that strong and the extra 12-25% makes a huge difference. Rotom + Kabu help to relieve pressure from Flying / Fire types and both between their power and speed/priority help clean after Plume has swept. Jynx and Custap Sawk are the "Catch Alls" which imo are super necessary in the super HO meta, and between Plume's sweeping strength and Crustle's hazards played well both of them should easily nab 1-2 kills a piece.
Vileplume @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sunny Day

Rotom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick
- Volt Switch

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Stone Edge
- Rapid Spin

Jynx @ Focus Sash
Ability: Dry Skin
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Lovely Kiss

Sawk @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Zen Headbutt
- Stone Edge

Crustle @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
Jolly Nature
- Rock Blast
- Shell Smash
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes

Exactly what I was looking for, pretty dope team thanks man. Just looking at your description+the team itself it looks like it will be pretty effective so I'll be abusing it quite a bit.

Last edited:
So this is something I've been mulling over for a little while after some past somewhat successful (memes) 'experiences'. Ice is a very threatening and effective typing in NU offensively, so how about a team built around ice spam, focusing on wearing down things like Magmortar or Hariyama so that the other teammate can attempt to sweep or tear apart the opposing team. No particular mons I have in mind, but things like Explosion Vanilluxe or Psyshock Jynx could be fairly effective. I'll leave it up to the builder to decide.

.....then again, maybe not Vanilluxe....

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
allstar124 forgot to post this before but hollywood recently made an RMT with both of these mons which can be found here, so yeah enjoy :]

electricalTempest I talked with bolts the other day and unfortunately I don't think you can't really build Hex "spam" without unnecessarily stacking weaknesses and redundant roles. That being said I've built a couple teams in the past around Pokemon sets that utilize Hex, so feel free to check out those:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/the-oras-nu-teambuilding-lab-kiyod.3531285/page-23#post-6387086
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/the-oras-nu-teambuilding-lab-kiyod.3531285/page-21#post-6374795

You're also free to leave another request, but I'm gonna have to reject the Hex spam team.

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
AzureRaptor

Here is a team I whipped up with Clefairy and Weezing about a week and a half ago. I decided to hold off on posting until drops happened, but since we didn't get a damn thing here we are. Magic Guard + Stealth Rock are two of the biggest advantages that Clefairy has over its main competition as a bulky fairy, Mega Audino, so I took those into consideration. Max sp def lets you set up with calm mind and wall most special attackers in general. Next we have AV Mag to beat the steels that threaten clef while being a hella good wallbreaker rn. Pelipper+Weezing is a pretty good core that can check a ton of mons just by themselves, it also gives us hazard control + a decently fast taunt user. Jolly RP Don is next to keep archeops and 110+ base speed mons on their toes. To wrap things up, we have a pretty underrated sweeper in Jumpluff who synergizes well with Rhydon to beat mons that that check the other, making them a fearsome combination. Hope you enjoy the team!

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Def / 248 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled

Magmortar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Vital Spirit
Mild Nature
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Earthquake

Pelipper @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 248 HP / 156 Def / 104 SpD
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Scald
- U-turn

Weezing @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 152 Def / 108 Spe
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Flamethrower
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Reckless
Jolly Nature
- Rock Polish
- Megahorn
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Jumpluff
Ability: Infiltrator
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Sleep Powder
- Swords Dance
- Seed Bomb

Thanks for the team, I'm pretty stoked to try it out immediately :) Let's hope for some new toys to grace our tier eventually..

Pachycephalosaurus (Rampardos) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake
- Zen Headbutt

I would like a team built around this monster (you can change the set up to go with the team) :D please and thank you <3

Pachycephalosaurus (Rampardos) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake
- Zen Headbutt

I would like a team built around this monster (you can change the set up to go with the team) :D please and thank you <3
i hope people dont mind a bit of help here. The op states:
Do not post asking us to make use of unviable Pokemon. This is not a competition to see how good we are at team building; this is us trying to educate people on what is good and how to build effective teams. (Think C+ or above in the viability rankings)
and rampardos is D-. And im also pretty sure brawlfest was on this build for you so there's no reason to double-post :/

i hope people dont mind a bit of help here. The op states: and rampardos is D-. And im also pretty sure brawlfest was on this build for you so there's no reason to double-post :/
If I'm not mistaken brawlfest has a good rampardos team in his home cooking thread and Kiyo posted one a few pages back.

They usr rock slide but its the better move over head smash due to no recoil, sheer force boost and higher accuracy. I think only Scarfed mold breaker or suicide lead uses head smash tbh.

If I'm not mistaken brawlfest has a good rampardos team in his home cooking thread and Kiyo posted one a few pages back.

They usr rock slide but its the better move over head smash due to no recoil, sheer force boost and higher accuracy. I think only Scarfed mold breaker or suicide lead uses head smash tbh.
I could not find a "home cooking" thread D:

Blast

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Please be patient, you only requested your team a week ago and many people have had to wait much longer than that. We have a lot of requests on our hands and we're only human so we're not going to build every team super quickly, especially with harder-to-use Pokemon like the ones you're requesting.

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead
DaRizzleTheMan sorry for the delay with getting you your team, i've been really busy the past week but here is the team n_n

Primeape @ Choice Band
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Rotom-Fan @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Trick

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Toxic Spikes

Aurorus @ Focus Sash
Ability: Snow Warning
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Blizzard
- Earth Power
- Freeze-Dry

Lilligant @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sleep Powder

Claydol @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earth Power
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic
So I started with the core of FanTom / Primeape and the first thing I wanted to add was Spikes support since that is what VoltTurn cores thrive off of, especially with Primeape to block Defogs. Garb was the natural choice, as it is one of the most reliable Spike setters and it also gets residual damage against physical attackers with Rocky Helm + Aftermath, chip damage that both Primeape and Rotom appreciate. I then needed a rock setter, and decided to go with a set that I've been having a lot of fun with recently which is Sash Lead Aurorus. This set acts as a soft check to Musharna, since it can't moonlight back to full health since it only recovers 25% in Hail, it also can get up rocks very easily due to its high HP Stat and a Sash. Lilligant was the next addition as it acts as a water check for things like SD Samurott which can run through the rest of the team at +2, and it also appreciates Poison / Steel types being weakened, which Primeape + Rotom is able to do really easily. It is also able to threaten physically bulky rock / ground types that Rotom has trouble against, and can usually get a QD for free against them. Claydol was the last addition, but it is incredibly important to how the team plays out since VoltTurn without Hazard Removal is just silly since you are focused on switching in and out through Volt Turn as often as possible during a match. Hope you like the team n_n

Last edited:
DaRizzleTheMan sorry for the delay with getting you your team, i've been really busy the past week but here is the team n_n

Primeape @ Choice Band
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Rotom-Fan @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Trick

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Toxic Spikes

Aurorus @ Focus Sash
Ability: Snow Warning
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Blizzard
- Earth Power
- Freeze-Dry

Lilligant @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sleep Powder

Claydol @ Colbur Berry
Modest Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earth Power
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic
So I started with the core of FanTom / Primeape and the first thing I wanted to add was Spikes support since that is what VoltTurn cores thrive off of, especially with Primeape to block Defogs. Garb was the natural choice, as it is one of the most reliable Spike setters and it also gets residual damage against physical attackers with Rocky Helm + Aftermath, chip damage that both Primeape and Rotom appreciate. I then needed a rock setter, and decided to go with a set that I've been having a lot of fun with recently which is Sash Lead Aurorus. This set acts as a soft check to Musharna, since it can't moonlight back to full health since it only recovers 25% in Hail, it also can get up rocks very easily due to its high HP Stat and a Sash. Lilligant was the next addition as it acts as a water check for things like SD Samurott which can run through the rest of the team at +2, and it also appreciates Poison / Steel types being weakened, which Primeape + Rotom is able to do really easily. It is also able to threaten physically bulky rock / ground types that Rotom has trouble against, and can usually get a QD for free against them. Claydol was the last addition, but it is incredibly important to how the team plays out since VoltTurn without Hazard Removal is just silly since you are focused on switching in and out through Volt Turn as often as possible during a match. Hope you like the team n_n
Ty! n_n

Blast

ChrystalFalchion thanks for being patient, here's the RP Torterra + Special Samurott team :toast:

Torterra @ Meadow Plate
Ability: Overgrow
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Wood Hammer
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Samurott @ Life Orb
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Megahorn
- Aqua Jet

Jynx @ Focus Sash
Ability: Dry Skin
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Ice Beam
- Lovely Kiss
- Psyshock

Xatu @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Bounce
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Heat Wave
- Grass Knot
- Tailwind

Liepard @ Dread Plate
Ability: Prankster
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Encore
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough

Regirock @ Custap Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Atk / 16 Def / 136 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Thunder Wave
- Explosion

I changed up your sets a bit to fit my playstyle better, firstly going with Meadow Plate > Life Orb on Torterra to avoid recoil, although feel free to go back to Life Orb if you want. I also went with Aqua Jet > Taunt on Samurott because I felt the priority was more important than slightly improved wallbreaking ability. From there, the first thing I noticed about the team was that it was really slow assuming Torterra hasn't set up a Rock Polish, as well as a bit weak to Grass-types. Sash Jynx solved both of these problems with Sash + Kiss + Nasty Plot allowing it to put massive pressure on pretty much any playstyle, and its natural Speed also helping against offense. Offensive Xatu is used as a neat way to provide a soft hazard control for Jynx and maintain offensive momentum. Tailwind is also a cool move that I decided to experiment with since it's too frail to safely click Roost most of the time, and with how powerful most of the team is, Tailwind support can make them even deadlier if you time it right. Liepard was added because it provides some more natural Speed, strong priority, and a check to CM Psychic-types. Finally, Custap Regirock was added to provide SR support and a sturdy Normal and Fire resist, which pretty much tear through me without it.

edit: forgot to mention a few things, Play Rough on Liepard is mostly just to kill Sawk after some prior damage although you could really use whatever you want in that slot. The EV spread on Regirock is also so you can live 2 HP Grasses from LO Pyroar after rocks.

Gl and hope you enjoy the team!

Last edited:
Thanks so much Blast , I thought you guys had forgotten. This is an amazing team, the only thing I changed was I made Torterra Jolly so it could outrun Scarf Rotom-A after Rock Polish. Some replays of it in action:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-290615855
Jynx and Regirock were the MVPs in this match

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-290616503
Jynx swept after my opponent mis predicted

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-290617273
Jynx once again putting in the most work

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-290617946
Torterra gets a chance to shine against a stall team. I love crushing stall teams!

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-290622189
Just when all seems lost, Torterra (with Liepard's help) pulls out a win

Last edited:
Hello guys i want to have a team around these 3 mons

I do not have any sets for them but i would like for carracosta to be SS Set.

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I already posted an SS costa team with Magmortar on the last page, not sure how adding Golurk to the mix would go since it makes for one heck of a water weakness.

Hey everyone, hope you are all well. Id like to request a Normal spam team featuring a combination of 2-3 of the following - Toxic Orb Zangoose @ Facade, Knock Off, Close Combat, Quick Attack/Protect, Guts Toxic Orb Swellow @ Brave Bird, Facade, U Turn, Protect/Tailwind, Guts/Quick Feet Ursaring Toxic Orb @ Facade, Close Combat, Crunch, Protect.
I believe these Pokemon are extremely powerful, underrated threats with very few counters in the tier, due to Zangoose and Ursarings access to Close Combat to slay Steel and Rock types like Regirock, Rhydon, Aurorus, Klinklang, Kabutops etc. which resist the normal STAB, Knock Off to destroy ghosts like Mismagius, Golurk etc. which are immune to the Normal attacks.
Zangoose is brutally powerful with its 210 BP Facade, further boosted by Toxic Boost, and a high attack stat. Knock Off and Close Combat provide insane coverage as mentioned above. Protect is for the assurance of being able to activate your Toxic Orb safely, should you choose not to run it, you will need some slow Volt Turn pivots to bring Zangoose in safely, or just bring Zangoose in, in a situation where it can get an easy KO on a low HP opponent. Quick Attack is a surprisingly powerful alternate option to outprioritise slower opponents priority such as Kecleon, or Cacturne, Shiftry, Skuntank etc. Sucker Punch. and finish off faster low HP opponents. Adamant Zangoose would also take massive advantage of Tailwind on Swellow if you chose to run it.
Swellow is incredibly fast, outspeeding the entirety of the unboosted, non scarfed tier which is fantastic. U Turn is a crucial move on it, because Swellow lures in Pokemon like Bastiodon, Regirock, Rhydon, Klinklang etc. like no other and it provides you momentum to go into a counter, as well as activating the Toxic Orb of either Zangoose or Ursaring. It also has other utility such as breaking the Sash of Archeops, Vivillon, Jynx etc. without Swellow being in danger. Facade is self explanatory, Brave Bird is excellent for ghosts and to destroy Gurdurr, a huge problem for most normal spam. Protect is for safe activation of Toxic Orb and Tailwind would be to turn Zangoose/Ursaring from a mid speed nuke into a tier outspeeding nuke, just as Swellow is about to die to either an attack or Poison damage. Protect is highly preferable though imo.

I want the team to be built with the following criteria;
I definitely do not want Swellow to be the Special set
Zangoose and Swellow to be definite inclusions, another Normal attacker such as Kecleon/Ursaring/Kangaskhan optional.
The sets I mentioned in the post please :)

Some final thoughts;
The team would need insurance against sweepers like Rock Polish Rhydon, SD Mawile, Shift Gear Klinklang etc. since 1 misprediction with Swellow, ie. not U Turning as these Pokemon come in, can lead to an easy set up opportunity
The team would need solid switchins to common Scarfers ie. Rotom Fan, Primeape, Sawk etc. since those Pokemon just body this core, as well as switchins to all Pokemon which commonly carry Priority moves since Swellow and Zangoose in particular are frail as shit.
The less Pokemon you use Protect on, the more slow VoltTurn pivots you will need to bring them in safely and activate their Toxic Orb

Thank you and Im excited to see what you guys create!
BanScald ~

Last edited:
Hey guys im new to NU and would like to request a team around Lilligant. I think lantern may make a great partner with the slow volt switch and starts a fire,water,grass core.

This is the set im running and really love it
Lil'May (Lilligant) @ Life Orb
Ability: Own Tempo
Happiness: 180
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Petal Dance

Hey guys im new to NU and would like to request a team around Lilligant. I think lantern may make a great partner with the slow volt switch and starts a fire,water,grass core.

This is the set im running and really love it
Lil'May (Lilligant) @ Life Orb
Ability: Own Tempo
Happiness: 180
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Petal Dance
Hello dognut48 welcome to NU. If you look through the NU Teambuilding Lab OP there's already several teams which include Lilligant (one of them also includes lanturn on the same team) and as for your set, I don't think it's too effective considering your only using grass stabs which is pretty poor neutral coverage on it's own and not running a timid nature leaves you being outspeed by things like Sawk, Vivillion, Mesprit, Kangkaskhan and Zangoose for example.

Instead I'd recommend using the following set which maximises Lilligant's potential.
If you have any other questions please don't be afraid to ask. :3 Hope I helped D:

Lilligant @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ice
- Sleep Powder

Hello dognut48 welcome to NU. If you look through the NU Teambuilding Lab OP there's already several teams which include Lilligant (one of them also includes lanturn on the same team) and as for your set, I don't think it's too effective considering your only using grass stabs which is pretty poor neutral coverage on it's own and not running a timid nature leaves you being outspeed by things like Sawk, Vivillion, Mesprit, Kangkaskhan and Zangoose for example.

Instead I'd recommend using the following set which maximises Lilligant's potential.
If you have any other questions please don't be afraid to ask. :3 Hope I helped D:

Lilligant @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ice
- Sleep Powder
Hmm i see your point but after a quiver dance boost, petal dance destroys even resistant Pokemon. giga drain is for sustain after all the resistant Pokemon die to petal storm. My set really struggles with sap sipper though... I was looking for a team to patch up this sets weakness and help it sweep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)