VGC 15 - Good Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jio

God is Good
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just a slight little nitpick on the Landorus-T spread. It wants at least 12 hp / 92 Def to ensure that it can take a +1 (Defiant) Life Orb boosted Sucker punch from Bisharp 100% of the time and would also need a Jolly nature with 172 Speed EVs to outpace +speed Blaziken after a speed boost. If neither of these are a concern then the original spread is fine

Just a slight little nitpick on the Landorus-T spread. It wants at least 12 hp / 92 Def to ensure that it can take a +1 (Defiant) Life Orb boosted Sucker punch from Bisharp 100% of the time and would also need a Jolly nature with 172 Speed EVs to outpace +speed Blaziken after a speed boost. If neither of these are a concern then the original spread is fine
I don't like anything that isn't 252/252 Adamant on my Scarf Landorus-T personally, but you definitely can mention those spreads in the op if you guys want to. That being said, I'd rather add something else to the team that can deal with Bisharp and Blaziken reliably when using this core, than to compromise my ScarfLando's damage output or Speed. 252/252 Adamant ScarfLando is very common on Battle Spot and being outsped and Rock Slide flinched by all of those every time is a big no in my book.

Neither Bisharp, nor Blaziken are nearly as common as other 252/252 Adamant Landorus-T. Also... LO +1 Bisharp obviously threatens OHKOs on both, Zard and Lando, with Sucker Punch, but it has to predict right and is OHKOd by literally half of the attacks that this core runs.

Last edited:
Rain offense core

I'm surprised this core hasn't been posted yet. Politoed sets up rain while Ludicolo sweeps with excellent coverage and swift swim. By using assault vest modest Ludicolo, you get special bulk as well as power boosted by rain. Choice scarf is chosen for politoed because of the offensive pressure it creates. 252 speed and choice scarf also out speeds mega Salamence and kos with ice beam.

Ludicolo @ Assault Vest
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 156 HP / 52 Def / 156 SpA / 4 SpD / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Fake Out

Politoed @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 4 HP / 4 Def / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Hidden Power Grass

Rain offense core

I'm surprised this core hasn't been posted yet. Politoed sets up rain while Ludicolo sweeps with excellent coverage and swift swim. By using assault vest modest Ludicolo, you get special bulk as well as power boosted by rain. Choice scarf is chosen for politoed because of the offensive pressure it creates. 252 speed and choice scarf also out speeds mega Salamence and kos with ice beam.

Ludicolo @ Assault Vest
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 156 HP / 52 Def / 156 SpA / 4 SpD / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Fake Out

Politoed @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 4 HP / 4 Def / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Hidden Power Grass
I love ScarfToed so much, nothing really makes me feel like an asshole quite like forcing my foe to Surf himself to death. Surf ScarfToed + Absorb Bulb Ludicolo + Gastrodon wasn't uncommon in the BW2 era.
Has issues with Thundy, Char-Y, and bulky grass types, and weird things like Tentacruel, but tbh it's an infamous, and effective, core. Would put Psychic on Toed if only to avoid complete coverage redundancy and bop so many of its usual counters. Small, splashable core that fits in with PerishCancer, and Toed's been on high-rated and accomplished teams since BW. Oh, and Wacan Berry Toed hits Thundy hard too; ran into one of those fuckers a few hours ago with my Rotom-H ._.

Yeah I did notice that HP grass when u already have ludi was sort of out of place. :p
Teammates could be gothitelle and co on a perish trap team (use a bulky spread with Sitrus and perish song)
Or ferrothorn/aegislash/Mawile/Metagross and rotom-H

Yeah I did notice that HP grass when u already have ludi was sort of out of place. :p
Teammates could be gothitelle and co on a perish trap team (use a bulky spread with Sitrus and perish song)
Or ferrothorn/aegislash/Mawile/Metagross and rotom-H
Honestly, I've been playing Battle Spot a lot between shifts, and Toed + Ludi + Mega Gardevoir has been very popular among the Japanese players I've been getting. I'm, you know, 1580 and plummeting in ranking, so I get nothing but 1700+ JP players at 3am Tokyo time, because we all know they don't sleep, work, or go to school. Even matchmaking and all that.

I do realize Khan is the #1 most used Mega atm, but this core seems really prevalent among the Japanese I'm getting atm on Battle Spot. Timid Max Speed non-Scarf Toed seems to be what I get most, only seen one with a Scarf.
Not just the low ranking or high ranking ones - five of my last 8 foes were Japanese and 4/5 ran Toed + Ludi (3 with Mega Gardevoir, one with Mega Mence) anywhere from 1526 to 1714 ranking. I don't read Japanese blogs and whatnot but the PoliColo core + Garde/Mence might be the new Japanese archetype to follow Japan Sand (TTar+Excadrill with MegaMence), counters it pretty hard after all.

edit: actually, what does that Ludicolo spread accomplish?

Honestly, I've been playing Battle Spot a lot between shifts, and Toed + Ludi + Mega Gardevoir has been very popular among the Japanese players I've been getting. I'm, you know, 1580 and plummeting in ranking, so I get nothing but 1700+ JP players at 3am Tokyo time, because we all know they don't sleep, work, or go to school. Even matchmaking and all that.

I do realize Khan is the #1 most used Mega atm, but this core seems really prevalent among the Japanese I'm getting atm on Battle Spot. Timid Max Speed non-Scarf Toed seems to be what I get most, only seen one with a Scarf.
Not just the low ranking or high ranking ones - five of my last 8 foes were Japanese and 4/5 ran Toed + Ludi (3 with Mega Gardevoir, one with Mega Mence) anywhere from 1526 to 1714 ranking. I don't read Japanese blogs and whatnot but the PoliColo core + Garde/Mence might be the new Japanese archetype to follow Japan Sand (TTar+Excadrill with MegaMence), counters it pretty hard after all.

edit: actually, what does that Ludicolo spread accomplish?
Makes Sylveon hyper voice 3hko, kills bulky mega Salamence, outspeeds scarf Lando
We all know the japanese are super serious about they're doing.
What does gardy actually do on a rain team tho? It's weak to ferrothorn and doesn't seem too provide much to take down rains counters.
(Hyper voice spam op)

The OP is still goofed, lol; I'm credited for Infernape + Mega Gardevoir (don't remember who posted it, but I've never, ever used either in Gen 6) and my Aegislash + Togekiss duo is still uncredited :P

Anyway, here's another one I blundered into; you guys might like this one; I consider it an offensive core but one could argue for balanced as well:

Virizion @ Life Orb
Jolly, 252 Atk, 4 Def, 252 Speed
Ability: Justified

- Leaf Blade
- Protect
- Stone Edge / Quick Guard / Taunt
- Close Combat

Painfully simple, I hope.

Rotom-Heat @ Expert Belt
Modest, 252 HP, 196 Sp. Atk, 60 Speed
Ability: Levitate

- Thunderbolt
- Protect
- HP Ice
- Overheat

Outruns most variants of Suicune and Cresslia (they typically aim for 113 Speed, max, this hits 114). Can be slowed down and dumped into Sp. Atk for better KO chances on Mega Salamence. Max HP because Rotom, rest in Sp. Atk

Small, very splashable core that fits into almost any team archetype except dedicated TR. In terms of resistances, Rotom-H covers Flying, Ice, Fairy, and Fire for Virizion, while being adequate against the 2/3rds of the most common Psychic-type attackers (Gardevoir, Mega Metagross, Sylveon's Psyshock, pretty bleh against Cresselia though) and neutral to Poison. Virizion handles Rock and Water types extremely well for Rotom-H, and offensively they work great as well. Virizion checks troublesome foes like Mega Khan, Hydreigon, Rotom-W, Suicune, Milotic, TTar, Excadrill (dat Mold Breaker), Mega Gyarados, and can usually come out on top against Landorus-T thanks to walling it. Rotom-H beats the things Virizion can't, such as Mega Salamence, Talonflame, Aegislash, Amoonguss, Mega Metagross, Thundurus, and Charizard-Y (because fuck depending on Stone Edge). Rotom-H also threatens Landorus-T with an Expert Belt HP Ice, while Landog fails to OHKO without Stone Edge.

Two very anti-Meta pokemon that pair well, and of course adores various water types like Milotic, Swampert, Gastrodon, and Suicune for a FWG core. No mega slots consumed. Garchomp and Landorus are annoying, opposing Rotom-H is awkward, but Mega Gardevoir / Sylveon can be troublesome as well.

Last edited:
The OP is still goofed, lol; I'm credited for Infernape + Mega Gardevoir (don't remember who posted it, but I've never, ever used either in Gen 6) and my Aegislash + Togekiss duo is still uncredited :P

Anyway, here's another one I blundered into; you guys might like this one; I consider it an offensive core but one could argue for balanced as well:

Virizion @ Life Orb
Jolly, 252 Atk, 4 Def, 252 Speed
Ability: Justified

- Leaf Blade
- Protect / Quick Guard / Taunt
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat

Painfully simple, I hope.

Rotom-Heat @ Expert Belt
Modest, 252 HP, 196 Sp. Atk, 60 Speed
Ability: Levitate

- Thunderbolt
- Protect
- HP Ice
- Overheat

Outruns most variants of Suicune and Cresslia (they typically aim for 113 Speed, max, this hits 114). Can be slowed down and dumped into Sp. Atk for better KO chances on Mega Salamence. Max HP because Rotom, rest in Sp. Atk

Small, very splashable core that fits into almost any team archetype except dedicated TR. In terms of resistances, Rotom-H covers Flying, Ice, Fairy, and Fire for Virizion, while being adequate against the 2/3rds of the most common Psychic-type attackers (Gardevoir, Mega Metagross, Sylveon's Psyshock, pretty bleh against Cresselia though) and neutral to Poison. Virizion handles Rock and Water types extremely well for Rotom-H, and offensively they work great as well. Virizion checks troublesome foes like Mega Khan, Hydreigon, Rotom-W, Suicune, Milotic, TTar, Excadrill (dat Mold Breaker), Mega Gyarados, and can usually come out on top against Landorus-T thanks to walling it. Rotom-H beats the things Virizion can't, such as Mega Salamence, Talonflame, Aegislash, Amoonguss, Mega Metagross, Thundurus, and Charizard-Y (because fuck depending on Stone Edge). Rotom-H also threatens Landorus-T with an Expert Belt HP Ice, while Landog fails to OHKO without Stone Edge.

Two very anti-Meta pokemon that pair well, and of course adores various water types like Milotic, Swampert, Gastrodon, and Suicune for a FWG core. No mega slots consumed. Garchomp and Landorus are annoying, opposing Rotom-H is awkward, but Mega Gardevoir / Sylveon can be troublesome as well.
As a Virizion user, all the 3rd moveslot options should be Taunt / Quick Guard / Stone Edge. Virizion without Protect is pretty bad. Also, i feel like the most optimal Water type for the FGW core would be Milotic, because that DOES scare Landorus-T from constantly switching-in, which is something Virizion truly does not appreciate.

As a Virizion user, all the 3rd moveslot options should be Taunt / Quick Guard / Stone Edge. Virizion without Protect is pretty bad. Also, i feel like the most optimal Water type for the FGW core would be Milotic, because that DOES scare Landorus-T from constantly switching-in, which is something Virizion truly does not appreciate.
typo, lol. fix'd
Milotic is best, yeah, but pretty much any Water type not named Tentacruel discourages Landog. Figured I'd leave it at a 2-mon core for flexibilty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)