XY OU Analysis Reservation Index - READ CAREFULLY (MAKING A NEW THREAD)

I don't see any mentions of Shuckle here, I've been using it on balanced teams as hazard setter and it's pretty effective, want to know what QC thinks about this mon first, but I'd do an analysis for it if there aren't objections

horyzhnz

[10:02:17 AM] flcl: its hory xD
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I don't see any mentions of Shuckle here, I've been using it on balanced teams as hazard setter and it's pretty effective, want to know what QC thinks about this mon first, but I'd do an analysis for it if there aren't objections
Fairly certain its been mentioned and rejected due to being complete setup fodder and lack of offensive presence

Srn

The Monstrous Bird of New England
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
I feel like shuckle can be enough of a nuisance to prevent sweepers without Taunt from setting up. A moveset like
Stealth Rock/Sticky Web/Encore/Knock Off
Would probably be able to annoy enough to achieve something.
And it would definitely have a defined niche of being able to set Sticky Web more than once throughout a match.
But I'm not going to seriously advocate for an analysis, just wanted to point it out.

Fairly certain its been mentioned and rejected due to being complete setup fodder and lack of offensive presence
As I said, I didn't see its mention, that's why I asked.
Anyway, I disagree it is complete set up fodder thanks to encore, and with mental herb + sturdy you have one of your hazards guaranteed. However, if it's have been already rejected, I guess a can't do anything.

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
As I said, I didn't see its mention, that's why I asked.
Anyway, I disagree it is complete set up fodder thanks to encore, and with mental herb + sturdy you have one of your hazards guaranteed. However, if it's have been already rejected, I guess a can't do anything.
For the record, the reason for Shuckle's rejection isn't just the fact that Shuckle itself isn't good. It's also that Sticky Web is an unreliable and sometimes unwanted (in the case of Bisharp) hazard. This is what Fuzznip had to say about it in the rejection:
We've decided to turn Shuckle down yet again for the same reasons. It's literally one of the worst Pokemon anyone could ever use in this fast-paced, offensive metagame. Yes, Sticky Web is a good move, but the move itself is overblown and oftentimes unnecessary to win the game. Using Shuckle puts you at an instant disadvantage due to its sitting duck nature. Sticky Web is still easy to get rid of as well with the vast amount of Rapid Spin and Defog users, so Shuckle is more or less going to be a wasted slot. It's just not worth it.

TheManlyLadybug is already doing Venomoth. And Forretress' analysis is here.

If you have simple questions (this goes for anyone), instead of posting in this thread, please just PM me and I will answer as soon as possible.

Last edited:
Aww...Me and my big mouth! TheManlyLadybug better make the best Venomoth analysis ever! I wonder if Heliolisk and Typhlosion are viable. Heliolisk is the most weather versatile poke ever and it's a shame it didn't get introduced last gen and Choice Eruption Typhlosion hits like a puppy on steroids eating ketchup on pancakes for breakfast. I am NOT kidding. Specs Eruption is amazing! Sure, he needs Rapid Spin/Defog Support but unless you are going up against a Hyper-Offensive team, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. AND if his HP does get low, he can start kicking out Specs Blaze boosted Fire Blasts so in my experience a solid pokemon.

horyzhnz

Aww...Me and my big mouth! TheManlyLadybug better make the best Venomoth analysis ever! I wonder if Heliolisk and Typhlosion are viable. Heliolisk is the most weather versatile poke ever and it's a shame it didn't get introduced last gen and Choice Eruption Typhlosion hits like a puppy on steroids eating ketchup on pancakes for breakfast. I am NOT kidding. Specs Eruption is amazing! Sure, he needs Rapid Spin/Defog Support but unless you are going up against a Hyper-Offensive team, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. AND if his HP does get low, he can start kicking out Specs Blaze boosted Fire Blasts so in my experience a solid pokemon.
Heliolisk was already discussed and rejected.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...x-read-carefully.3495075/page-27#post-5315968

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
There was a reason I chose to carefully pick who would write Venomoth. TheManlyLadybug presented its niche decently and, after some QC sweeping, should be a good representative of the analysis.

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm not sure if this has been addressed already, but I was wondering if people can reserve Pokemon that have yet to be released. If so, would it be cool to reserve Mega Latios? And if not him, Volcanion? If I can't I totally understand.

Srn

The Monstrous Bird of New England
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Honchkrow has moxie, some recovery (doesn't really matter) and an extra SR weakness.
But the biggest part is Flying STAB, it;s brave birds are amazingly powerful
It could get an analysis as a glass cannon with moxie or what not, but really, it's much more at home in UU. There are much better cannons to use in OU, which can even perform other roles, like Latios (nukes and defogs) or Bisharp (nukes, Knock Off utility (which honchkrow doesn't get ;_;) and defog block).
It's still strong, and may deserve an analysis for the reasons darmanitan did, but I honestly don't see why I'd ever use it.

Last edited:
Valmanway we are not doing unreleased Pokemon yet. Mega Latios would just be incorporated into the current Latios analysis anyway, although once the dex goes up people will be able to submit single sets. Feel free to reserve Volcanion when it is released unless it's only for Badgeholders.

And Honchkrow is too frail and slow to be effective in OU. Its Brave Bird is very powerful, but Pokemon like Talonflame, Mega Pinsir, and Staraptor already supply all of the powerful Flying spam you would need while being faster. Honchkrow is too reliant on Sucker Punch, and this leaves it completely beaten by faster Pokemon that resist Sucker Punch. Bisharp gets away with it because of Defiant and Knock Off, but there's really not much reason to use Honchkrow over other options. If you can provide some replays of it being effective in progress, I'll reconsider, but as we stand, I would say no to Honchkrow.

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Valmanway we are not doing unreleased Pokemon yet. Mega Latios would just be incorporated into the current Latios analysis anyway, although once the dex goes up people will be able to submit single sets. Feel free to reserve Volcanion when it is released unless it's only for Badgeholders.

And Honchkrow is too frail and slow to be effective in OU. Its Brave Bird is very powerful, but Pokemon like Talonflame, Mega Pinsir, and Staraptor already supply all of the powerful Flying spam you would need while being faster. Honchkrow is too reliant on Sucker Punch, and this leaves it completely beaten by faster Pokemon that resist Sucker Punch. Bisharp gets away with it because of Defiant and Knock Off, but there's really not much reason to use Honchkrow over other options. If you can provide some replays of it being effective in progress, I'll reconsider, but as we stand, I would say no to Honchkrow.
Oh, ok. Then I'll just have to wait for Volcanion to come out. Thanks!

horyzhnz

Fuzznip I'm kinda surprised you don't have a blacklist/rejected list in the OP. It could save some old topics from coming up again and again
Honchkrow, Heliolisk, Empoleon, Spiritomb, Wigglytuff, Slurpuff, Accelgor, Tyrantrum, Vivillon, Shuckle, Arcanine, Scrafty, Jumpluff, Malamar, Mienshao, Avalugg, Meowstic-F, Flygon, Archeops, Dusclops, Jolteon, Ninjask, Jellicent, Weezing, Huntail, Delphox, Aromatisse, Pangoro and Azelf have all been rejected in this thread I believe.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi, I would just like to wonder if Lilligant is viable. It has a niche as the fastest Sleep Powder user after a boost from Chlorophyll and it is also a good user of Quiver Dance. Also, while a gimmick which would probably go in Other Options, it has access to both Own Tempo and Petal Dance, meaning that it can also work on non-sun teams. While you couldn't use it as a sun counter (I mean, a Fire-type weakness is pretty damn crippling to be honest), but it is a brilliant Chlorophyll sweeper with Chlorophyll, Sleep Powder and Quiver Dance to let it deal heavy damage to the opponent's team, and it can run HP Rock to deal with opposing Talonflame and Charizard switch-ins, effectively negating its main weakness with the correct prediction.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I think the main reason with Lilligant, as always, is that its movepool is really shallow. Aside from Giga Drain, Grass Knot, and Petal Dance you have Hidden Power (nerfed) and Tri Attack from Nature Power. There are a shitload of Pokemon that resists Grass, Unaware Clefable just laughs at it for the most part (might take a chunk from Own Tempo Petal Dance), and Talonflame / Pinsir just shit on you.

It seems really bad on paper.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, Lilligant isn't good. First of all, sun is a pretty bad playstyle, and even then, Venusaur is better on pretty much all accounts.

Wow. So many good Pokemon are taken. Alright, let me write up Golurk then. It's not the most impressive Pokemon, but I think it has a niche as a good lead because it's the only Ghost type with access to Stealth Rock, so it can't get Faked Out and it can spinblock. It also has three helpful immunities and a resistance to stealth rock. It got one for gen V; I think it's worthy of an OU Analysis.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Golurk had an anaylsis for BW OU on the grounds that spin blocking as way more useful as defog didn't do anything useful, and it was one of Terrakion's counters which in XY isnt as useful as it once was in BW. The XY OU meta isnt very kind to golurk who is slow, unimpressive defensively, and not hard to wall.

I don't support it receiving an analysis, sry

lab report ᐛ
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm going to agree w/ Ash and say that I don't think Golurk deserves an analysis, sorry. It struggles versus pretty much every single Pokemon in S-rank, unable to exploit its decent-ish defensive typing (which is also a double-edged sword) and bulk due to its complete lack of reliable recovery. Its weaknesses in terrible Speed and inability to contribute greatly to teams are not even alleviated by its Attack stat, which isn't even particularly spectacular by OU standards. I've also never seen Golurk be used in a serious competitive match as it brings very little to the table for both offensive and defensive teams, with something else always demanding the valuable team slot more. Heck, its niche as a Stealth Rock setter immune to Rapid Spin isn't even useful given that it is destroyed by Latios and Starmie (examples of hazard removers), anyway.

edit: ash borer is a nerd good QC member for ninjaing me by a minute :toast:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)