XY OU Analysis Reservation Index - READ CAREFULLY (MAKING A NEW THREAD)

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I am also going to agree with Ash here. Golurk is outclassed as a Stealth Rock setter by Ferrothorn, Forretress and even freakin Rhydon and Shuckle. It is outclassed as an Iron Fist attacker by Conkeldurr, Infernape and Hitmonchan. It is outclassed as a No Guard/Dynamic Punch user by Machamp (and it kinda sucks on Golurk anyway due to the lack of STAB). The only thing it has over Conkeldurr, Infernape and Hitmonchan as an Iron Fist attacker would be STAB on Shadow Punch and Earthquake, but even then it is a little lacking due to its defensive typing basically making it a Pursuit lure (provided its not from Bisharp or Tyranitar due to their Ground-type weakness) and as an Assault Vest attacker you just need to look up the page to see Conkeldurr, Hitmonchan, Machamp and Ferrothorn to see better users of the item in OU. Furthermore, the buff to Defog makes its main niche (and the main reason to use it in OU over Conkeldurr) - being a spinblocker with Iron Fist and all that s*** - more of a gimmick as I personally see more Defog than I do Rapid Spin (but it isn't irrelevant though) and also it is outclassed by Aegislash as a physical spinblocker anyway due to its superior bulk, superior typing and Stance Change.

horyzhnz

[10:02:17 AM] flcl: its hory xD
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So yeah, basically Golurk is terrible in the OU meta. It gets outclassed in all its possible roles + its weaknesses are very popular types in OU.

I don't think Typhlosion should get an analysis. Its SpA is decent at best, it gets walled to infinity and beyond by common mons like Goodra and Ttar; not to mention Flash Fire, its special movepool is awful in terms of coverage, its weak to common priority (tflame BB and aqua jet OHKO most of the time), there are better things to use for a special fire type like Volcarona, Houndoom and Chandelure, and base 100 speed just isn't as good as it used to be.

Also, small nitpicks for the reject section. Articuno, Regirock, Furfrou, Gogoat, Swellow, Magmar, Druddigon, Sigilyph and Bronzong are extra mons that got rejected/declined (now + Lilligant and probably Golurk). Meowstic-F is also spelled incorrectly.

I took a look at the "In progress"-list in the OP, and there were some pretty obscure Pokemon there. I have to ask: are Clawitzer and Granbull really getting an OU analysis?

horyzhnz

[10:02:17 AM] flcl: its hory xD
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I took a look at the "In progress"-list in the OP, and there were some pretty obscure Pokemon there. I have to ask: are Clawitzer and Granbull really getting an OU analysis?
It hasn't been updated. Both Clawitzer and Granbull are in the rejected list.

Golurk had an anaylsis for BW OU on the grounds that spin blocking as way more useful as defog didn't do anything useful, and it was one of Terrakion's counters which in XY isnt as useful as it once was in BW. The XY OU meta isnt very kind to golurk who is slow, unimpressive defensively, and not hard to wall.

I don't support it receiving an analysis, sry
Alright, that's fine. I know it's outclassed in most roles, but I was thinking suicide lead because it can't be faked out and will get up at least a stealth rocks layer - one of the better leads against anti-leads such as Infernape. However, I did do a damage calculation, and Ferrothorn w/ an Occa Berry can take a hit from Flare Blitz, so I'll let it go.

Though maybe I could do Cobalion instead? It's got the speed, the stats, the support movepool, and the defense to work. It has less weaknesses than Terrakion for setting up stealth rock and has volt switch to pivot. It can run a pretty good mixed set for a support role and perhaps a defensive role.

Will there be any soon? or is it we dont have any more to be reserved?
Well, each Pokemon that can be reserved is already having their analysis written, though eventually they will be updated, if that is what you are referring to. This won't be soon though, as there would have to be a reason for updating them, and besides, if there was, then the analyses could be changed now, as they are not on the site yet.

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
Just to clarify something for new users to the C&C forum, there are two ways that Pokemon can be put up for reservation. The first way is if something appears on the "Unreserved" category in the original post. If there is nothing in the "Unreserved" category, assume there is nothing up for immediate reservation. However, there is a second method of putting up a Pokemon for reservation, and this is the part that you have active control over. If you find a Pokemon that you think is deserving of an OU analysis, make an intelligent, thorough, and convincing post as to why you believe this Pokemon can be viable in OU. In order to do that, it requires that you:
  1. Have legitimate experience with the Pokemon in question, and a good idea of its strengths and weaknesses.
  2. Have a good enough grasp on the metagame to make such a declaration.
  3. Be open to further discussion.
In other words, DO NOT make one-line posts asking if a Pokemon can be reserved if it is not already up on the reservation index. You don't have to write a whole essay, but your post should be thorough enough that it accurately conveys the information the QC team needs to know in order to approve a reservation.

I strongly believe that Kyurem-B should get an OU analysis. It has two strong STABs that complement a unique typing with handy resistances, one of the most powerful Ice Beams in the tier, and it possesses two excellent coverage options in Earth Power and Fusion Bolt to get perfect coverage. Teravolt allows Kyurem-B to hit Rotom-W with a super effective Earth Power and Mega Venusaur with a super effective Ice Beam, also making short work of any other Pokemon that rely on their abilities to protect them from attacks. Its unusually high base stats make it a decently fast mixed attacker with excellent uninvested bulk, taking neutral hits with ease and creating 101 HP Substitutes, allowing it to excel against Stall and Offense alike. Although foes like Assault Vest Conkeldurr and Chansey may stop Kyurem-B from outright rampaging, there's no denying that Kyurem-B is an extremely potent and powerful Pokemon that will threaten nearly every team it comes across.

I noticed Donphan isn't on the reservation list. Can I reserve it? It has Rapid Spin and Ice Shard.

Also, when posting replays, make sure they (a) truly show off the Pokemon in question doing work, and (b) are against a fairly competent opponent (this is subjective but use judgment skills). Even if you're playing well, it's hard to judge the efficiency of Pokemon in a match unrepresentative of higher-level play.

Last edited:
I believe that Emolga a lot should have an OU analysis, taken from my BW season and XY season Experiences. For Starters Its a great lead, Having Access to Light Screen, Encore, Thunder Wave (for faster leads) and much more. Secondly, If fully invested with speed, it is on of the fastest Electric types (Second Fastest Electric/Flying type, first if you don't count Thunderus T) and can half speed (from use of thunder wave) of non-Electric, non-Ground pokemon. With its speed, you can use Volt Switch to switch into a Bulky Attacker (I recomend Aggron with its Mega stone as it can cover its weaknesses). Emolga is an amazing support Pokemon, the only things that can stop it are Offensive Rock/Ground Pokemon or powerful mixed attackers.
Here are some battle videos of me using Emolga:
OU replay: superbobbobbob3 vs. blueoak914 - Pokémon Showdown
OU replay: kkkkkk vs. superbobbobbob3 - Pokémon Showdown
i also want to do the analysis if i have convinced you enough.

I believe that Emolga a lot should have an OU analysis, taken from my BW season and XY season Experiences. For Starters Its a great lead, Having Access to Light Screen, Encore, Thunder Wave (for faster leads) and much more. Secondly, If fully invested with speed, it is on of the fastest Electric types (Second Fastest Electric/Flying type, first if you don't count Thunderus T) and can half speed (from use of thunder wave) of non-Electric, non-Ground pokemon. With its speed, you can use Volt Switch to switch into a Bulky Attacker (I recomend Aggron with its Mega stone as it can cover its weaknesses). Emolga is an amazing support Pokemon, the only things that can stop it are Offensive Rock/Ground Pokemon or powerful mixed attackers.
Here are some battle videos of me using Emolga:
OU replay: superbobbobbob3 vs. blueoak914 - Pokémon Showdown
OU replay: kkkkkk vs. superbobbobbob3 - Pokémon Showdown
i also want to do the analysis if i have convinced you enough.
You haven't. It has terrible bulk, terrible offenses, and its Speed isn't exactly great in terms of a fast Electric-type. If you want a lead that can set up Dual Screens, Deoxys-S is faster and has existent offenses as well as Stealth Rock. If you want a fast Electric-type, there is literally no reason not to use Thundurus, one of the best Pokemon in the tier. It is actually fast, has Prankster Thunder Wave and Taunt, can go special, mixed with Defiant, or physical with Defiant + Bulk Up. It's also insanely powerful after a Nasty Plot. A lot of things can use Thunder Wave, and a lot of things can use it better, that doesn't make Emolga good. It is definitely not an amazing support Pokemon. Also, those replays are atrocious. Not only does your opponent battle terribly and uses shocking sets, you do as well. There are many flaws in that replay that I'm not even going to try and explain them to you. Just consider Emolga rejected and blacklisted as it is not viable in OU.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Look if you are going to argue a Pokemon deserving of an analysis, at least make sure it is good / has a decent niche.

Despite Venomoth being rejected and Lilligant not getting an analysis this generation, they had a greater chance of receiving an analysis than dead sparks like Emolga is.

I cant even believe it has to be justified on how much it sucks. That alone makes my jaw agape.

Reactions: trc

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
Alright, so I strongly think that Machamp deserves an OU Analysis and for a variety of reasons. First off, Machamp can easily stop common leads like Ferrothorn, Excadrill, Heatran, Landorus, Mamoswine, and Tyranitar from setting up stealth rocks by confusing them with Dynamic Punch, then wrecking with a coverage move. I usually put enough evs in speed to out-speed Heatran at its base speed, then invest the rest in hp and atk. Machamp won't be able to out-speed Mamoswine, Excadrill, and Landorus, but can easily OHKO Mamoswine and Excadrill while being able to confuse Landorus and finishing it off with ice punch. However, this is not Machamp's only niche in OU. He can abuse his other ability, Guts, to inflict heavy damage on a lot of Pokemon. He may seem out-classed by Conkeldurr in this, but Conkeldurr can't play mind games with his potential ability. For example, and I know this from experience, I led with Machamp and my opponent led with Rotom-W. He knew that Machamp has Guts, so Rotom-W switched out and his switch in took a dynamic Punch to the face (he switch into Talonflame). The Talonflame then hurt itself in confusion and Machamp easily finished it off with Thunderpunch. Other than Machamp's No-Guard niche over Conkeldurr, Machamp has one other niche: Encore. It doesn't sound very impressive at first, but think about it. Machamp is generally slower than most pokemon, even leads, so being able to make the opposing pokemon encore stealth rocks or sticky web ( I rarely see spikes used due to the defog buff) will force a switch at the risk of being KO'd, but most pokemon don't appreciate a Dynamic Punch to the face. There is only one other pokemon who can abuse Dynamic Punch and No-Guard and that is Golurk. Why choose Machamp over Golurk? Well, for a variety of reasons. Golurk misses out on the fighting type stab of Dynamic Punch and Machamp has superior attack and bulk while they both stand at the same base speed. Machamp also has 2 things that Golurk would kill to have: A priority move and a better defensive typing. Golurk does have access to stealth rocks, which definitely gives it a niche over Machamp. Machamp's greater power with Dynamic Punch is very important to point out, as Machamp 2HKO's Max hp max def Ferrothorn while Golurk only manages to 3HKO, and with many Ferrothorn's carrying a Rocky Helmet, Golurk can be wiped out by the combined Rocky Helmet, Iron Barbs, and Power Whip damage. Machamp's better typing is also a very important detail to point out as aside from a few uncommon leads, Machamp will only be taking neutral damage at most from the most common leads in the current OU Metagame (aside from Skarmory) while Golurk has to worry about Ferrothorn, Breloom, Tyranitar, and Mamoswine, just to name off a few. Overall, Machamp's niche as a Dynamic Puncher is almost unparalleled by any pokemon. I really thought this through and I hope it can be considered.

EDIT: The following replay represents both Machamp's raw power and bulk: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oususpecttest-106680308

Last edited:

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
Alright, so I strongly think that Machamp deserves an OU Analysis and for a variety of reasons. First off, Machamp can easily stop common leads like Ferrothorn, Excadrill, Heatran, Landorus, Mamoswine, and Tyranitar from setting up stealth rocks by confusing them with Dynamic Punch, then wrecking with a coverage move. I usually put enough evs in speed to out-speed Heatran at its base speed, then invest the rest in hp and atk. Machamp won't be able to out-speed Mamoswine, Excadrill, and Landorus, but can easily OHKO Mamoswine and Excadrill while being able to confuse Landorus and finishing it off with ice punch. However, this is not Machamp's only niche in OU. He can abuse his other ability, Guts, to inflict heavy damage on a lot of Pokemon. He may seem out-classed by Conkeldurr in this, but Conkeldurr can't play mind games with his potential ability. For example, and I know this from experience, I led with Machamp and my opponent led with Rotom-W. He knew that Machamp has Guts, so Rotom-W switched out and his switch in took a dynamic Punch to the face (he switch into Talonflame). The Talonflame then hurt itself in confusion and Machamp easily finished it off with Thunderpunch. Other than Machamp's No-Guard niche over Conkeldurr, Machamp has one other niche: Encore. It doesn't sound very impressive at first, but think about it. Machamp is generally slower than most pokemon, even leads, so being able to make the opposing pokemon encore stealth rocks or sticky web ( I rarely see spikes used due to the defog buff) will force a switch at the risk of being KO'd, but most pokemon don't appreciate a Dynamic Punch to the face. There is only one other pokemon who can abuse Dynamic Punch and No-Guard and that is Golurk. Why choose Machamp over Golurk? Well, for a variety of reasons. Golurk misses out on the fighting type stab of Dynamic Punch and Machamp has superior attack and bulk while they both stand at the same base speed. Machamp also has 2 things that Golurk would kill to have: A priority move and a better defensive typing. Golurk does have access to stealth rocks, which definitely gives it a niche over Machamp. Machamp's greater power with Dynamic Punch is very important to point out, as Machamp 2HKO's Max hp max def Ferrothorn while Golurk only manages to 3HKO, and with many Ferrothorn's carrying a Rocky Helmet, Golurk can be wiped out by the combined Rocky Helmet, Iron Barbs, and Power Whip damage. Machamp's better typing is also a very important detail to point out as aside from a few uncommon leads, Machamp will only be taking neutral damage at most from the most common leads in the current OU Metagame (aside from Skarmory) while Golurk has to worry about Ferrothorn, Breloom, Tyranitar, and Mamoswine, just to name off a few. Overall, Machamp's niche as a Dynamic Puncher is almost unparalleled by any pokemon. I really thought this through and I hope it can be considered.

EDIT: The following replay represents both Machamp's raw power and bulk: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oususpecttest-106680308
Ouch... I'm sorry you wrote all of this. Your reservation post is thorough, but we unfortunately already discussed Machamp in a previous thread and determined that it was not viable, being outclassed by Conkeldurr. You can read up on it here.

Fuzznip, if you could add Machamp and Kyurem to the Rejected Pokemon list in the OP, that would be wonderful. Thanks!

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
On the other hand, HypnoEmpire did a decent job with a reservation post - even if some of the post was a little questionable.

But yes, Machamp was sadly rekt... i mean rejected.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)