Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - mark 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the best Spinners in Overused that can do something about Ghosts? Forretress can use Payback and Claydol can Calm Mind + Shadow Ball, but are they effective?

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What are the best Spinners in Overused that can do something about Ghosts? Forretress can use Payback and Claydol can Calm Mind + Shadow Ball, but are they effective?
Prior to platinum, for Gengar, Timid Starmie outsped, Forretress could use Gyro Ball and Tentacruel could sponge Thundebolt-less variants. Donphan was seen as the only thing really that could really kill off bulky Ghosts like Spiritomb and Dusknoir with its STAB earthquakes. As of now, however, the Rotoms are running riot, Dusknoir and Spiritomb have pretty much fallen into obscurity, and none of the OU rapid spinners can stop them. Forretress rarely use Payback as it is a waste of a moveslot, and Rotom-h still beats it easily (and the others aren't too bad either)

In UU, of the two ground-types with RS, Claydol is weak to ghost and Sandslash's SDef is pathetic. The rest are either weak to Electric (Kabutops, Cloyster) or Fighting-type (the Hitmons). This leaves Armaldo, Delibird and Torkoal. All weak to SR. Take your pick.

In short, every Rapid spinner in the game is either a) specially weak but heavily defensive, b) weak to Rotom's STAB, or c) offensively lacking.
EDIT:
Or d) weak to Stealth Rock

Prior to platinum, for Gengar, Timid Starmie outsped, Forretress could use Gyro Ball and Tentacruel could sponge Thundebolt-less variants. Donphan was seen as the only thing really that could really kill off bulky Ghosts like Spiritomb and Dusknoir with its STAB earthquakes. As of now, however, the Rotoms are running riot, Dusknoir and Spiritomb have pretty much fallen into obscurity, and none of the OU rapid spinners can stop them. Forretress rarely use Payback as it is a waste of a moveslot, and Rotom-h still beats it easily (and the others aren't too bad either)

In UU, of the two ground-types with RS, Claydol is weak to ghost and Sandslash's SDef is pathetic. The rest are either weak to Electric (Kabutops, Cloyster) or Fighting-type (the Hitmons). This leaves Armaldo, Delibird and Torkoal. Take your pick.

In short, every Rapid spinner in the game is either a) specially weak but heavily defensive, b) weak to Rotom's STAB, or c) offensively lacking.
I play Wifi, not on Shoddy, so the Rotoms shouldn't be a problem yet (until the Key is released, of course). It's a shame, though Rotom is probably my second favorite Pokemon!

I call Delibird!:jump:

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The best way to deal with Rotom and Spin would be CB Assurance Donphan, Payback Forretress, or Life Orb Hydro Pump Starmie, all of which _can_ beat Rotom.

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
Legacy Raider mentioned JibakuTar in that Tbolt/Twave topic. My questions are:

1) What is it?
2) Why would I use it?

What moveset could I use on a Jolly Dodrio without egg moves. (I chained it, so no XD moves or anything either)

I dunno what I can do. D:

I came up with this after a few seconds of looking at Serebii's Pokedex, but:

Drill Peck (STAB)
Pursuit (Hey, why not? Coverage and the usefulness of Pursuit)
Steel Wing (For Rock and Ice types)
Return/Endeavor (Return for STAB, Endeavor if Dodrio somehow manages to survive an attack, maybe Focus Sash?)

So... Does it look more like this one?

If you mean it literally looks like CotH's picture, but with only those missing icons, then it's most likely your browser/computer.
No, it doesn't, it's closer to CotH's. Maybe it is my browser, lemme check...

You WERE RIGHT:D!! Awesome, maybe I should stop using Google Chrome then...

Do you guys just think that this would work?

Dodrio @Choice Band
Jolly - 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spe
Drill Peck/Quick Attack/Pursuit or Payback/Return

Dunno. It's the same set as Dodrio's main one, just with Drill Peck instead of Brave Bird.

Altair

just who is the coon?
Do you guys just think that this would work?

Dodrio @Choice Band
Jolly - 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spe
Drill Peck/Quick Attack/Pursuit or Payback/Return

Dunno. It's the same set as Dodrio's main one, just with Drill Peck instead of Brave Bird.
I guess it would, since drill peck is one of the few advantages (if you can call it that) that Dodrio has over Staraptor.

Can someone detail what exactly is the Bounce glitch? Just had a battle where my opponent's Gyara used Bounce... and things went odd.

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a defending SPL Championdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
Can someone detail what exactly is the Bounce glitch? Just had a battle where my opponent's Gyara used Bounce... and things went odd.
A glitch that happened to me twice was that after using Bounce twice, i selected Waterfall, but Shoddy chose Bounce with no reason. Then the animation always said "Gyarados bounced to the air" or something and never got down, but my opponent could hit Gyarados with moves like Rock Slide or thunderbolt.

A glitch that happened to me twice was that after using Bounce twice, i selected Waterfall, but Shoddy chose Bounce with no reason. Then the animation always said "Gyarados bounced to the air" or something and never got down, but my opponent could hit Gyarados with moves like Rock Slide or thunderbolt.
To add on to this, this glitch usually happens when the Pokemon gets fully paralyzed or hits itself with confusion on the second turn of Bouce (i.e., while it's up in the air). I don't know how often it can happen outside of this, though, if at all.

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a defending SPL Championdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
Well, on my battle, my Gyarados was completely healthy (except SR and LO recoil). I mean, no confusion or paralized. It happens randomly, i think...

reyscarface

World Defender
I think Staraptor likes Brave Bird more than Drill Peck, he doesnt care too much about the recoil (it can roost it off) and the big difference in power is very important.

I would go with Brave Bird on Dodrio instead of Drill Peck on a CB set. But thats just me...

I think Staraptor likes Brave Bird more than Drill Peck, he doesnt care too much about the recoil (it can roost it off) and the big difference in power is very important.

I would go with Brave Bird on Dodrio instead of Drill Peck on a CB set. But thats just me...
The problem is that Brave Bird is an Egg Move, and the Dodrio in question is a Pokeradar'd shiny, thus no Egg Moves. This is the reason why I've not chained Zubats too. :(

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
i need a mixed ev spread for a choice scarf version of this, along with a moveset, any ideas?

Delibird
Hasty
Shiny
30/31/7/30/31/31 - HP Grass 70

reyscarface

World Defender
For the moves i can think about Ice Punch/Ice Shard, Blizzard/Ice Beam, Seed Bomb & Signal Beam/Brick Break/Return.

Since its mixed, you can give more EVs to Sp Attack and Speed so you can abuse Hustle while giving power on special side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)