Ask a simple question - get a simple answer: PU edition

Why was it decided not to allow shadow tag? Wynaut and gothitelle pre-evo don't seem like they would really have a significant impact, so why can't we use them if we _really_ wanted to?

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Why was it decided not to allow shadow tag? Wynaut and gothitelle pre-evo don't seem like they would really have a significant impact, so why can't we use them if we _really_ wanted to?
We never decided it but UU did and we have to follow. Though there was a thread in PR discussing it, but I don't think it was ever concluded. For reference:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/transitivity-of-bans.3541269/

I personally think that mini-goth may be a problem due to flash/charm sets allowing very easy set up (wynaut is less of an issue as it lacks recovery), but ofc we cannot tell without testing.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Why do people use Braixen in PU? What role does it serve?
They don't, it has none
There are lots of better fire types like ninetales, simisear and rapidash which totally outclass it

They don't, it has none
There are lots of better fire types like ninetales, simisear and rapidash which totally outclass it
Some people do like Shadypenguinn and a few people on the ladder. It just confounds me as to why people would even consider it. I guess because they like the Delphox line....?

People consider it because for some reason they either don't realize or don't care that resources exist to help them actually do well in this tier ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mostly because the people you're watching don't try to play the game at the competitive level. People like Shadypenguinn, Verlisify, and Blametruth come to mind. I wouldn't recommend watching them if you're trying to learn as they poorly show off the meta. (ie using Braixen in PU)

If you want to learn what the meta is and whats good in it, I recommend looking at the Viability ranks.

Last edited:
I don't really see the point with the viability rankings as they are, especially since the mons are ordered inside the ranks

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
note: I am reasonably new to the tier, so take what I say with a grain of salt.
I mean, Gothorita was deemed too much for UU even when it was hyper offense central, so it really doesn't stand much of a chance of being healthy here tbh. As for Wynaut, w/ Shadow Tag legal it'd just be a worse Wobbuffet. Sure, if a decision is made which breaks the synchronicity of clauses in lower tiers then Wobbuffet would probably rise to RU on the basis that people have theorymonned that it'd be pretty amazing there without being broken - which would make Wynaut good - if a decision is ever made it would have to wait for a Wobb rise to truly shine.

Special defensive Vullaby is about the best stop to it, being immune to its psychic STAB and resisting it's grass STAB. It also has access to reliable recovery in Roost so it can keep coming in and walling it. Outside that you have options such as Zweilous who also is immune to psychic and resist grass. You have to use Rest + Sleep talk tho which can be somewhat unappealing at times.

You can also run a dark type + a sap sipper mon such as Bouff or Sawsbuck which allows you to block both its STABs if you can scout what it locks into, but it also means it forces constant 50/50s. If you're having trouble with Exeggutor I recommend exploiting its weakness in low speed and very punishable typing. So basically kill it with offensive teams.

So let's say I made a new alt on PS to get reqs for the suspect test and I got successfully got them but then I accidentally played a UU game with that same alt. Do I have to make a new alt and get reqs again ?

P.S: this is my first time participating in a suspect test

No it doesn't matter what other tiers you've played on your suspect alt as long as you've reached the reqs it'll be fine.

So let's say I made a new alt on PS to get reqs for the suspect test and I got successfully got them but then I accidentally played a UU game with that same alt. Do I have to make a new alt and get reqs again ?

P.S: this is my first time participating in a suspect test
nope, you're fine

wow ninja

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)