Dewpider, Araquanid Discussion

Araquanid is definitely falling straight down to PU in singles, lol. Which I'm excited for; PU is my favorite tier and I think I'm going to have a lot of fun trying to make this pokemon shine. The defensive stats look similar to what Mantine had pre-boost-this-generation, although with an admittedly less useful typing, but with better recovery options (pre-Roost).

68/132 looks good enough to at least try specially defensive, to me. 68/92 might be alright for taking one physical hit if needed and not crumbling immediately (like Cryogonal did). Cryogonal actually is proof that a specially defensive monster weak to Stealth Rocks can work successfully in Singles, although the crucial differences are that Cryogonal had Recover and considerable offensive presence. Which are large differences, thinking about it.

It's hard to say what in the PU tier Araquanid will wall most effectively until we see what ends up in PU, although I'm sure it'll be mostly Fire types. Araquanid might also put pressure on Ground types, resisting their STAB and firing back Liquidations for okay damage, but is gonna fear Stone Edge/Rock Blast/Rock Slide from the physical ones. It might wall special Ground types better. Araquanid might also give special attacking Psychic types some trouble, with Leech Life offensive presence. But they might fire back Thunderbolt.

Leech Life is going to be this thing's lifeline, I think. It's really the best thing GF gave this thing. Liquidation almost comes in close second; automatically (?) lowering the opponent's attack stat with every use makes Liquidation very spammable. Given that the opponent team doesn't have Water Absorbers/Storm Drainers or heavy water resists, you could spam Liquidation relatively liberally and dissuade physical attackers from switching in somewhat. That's going to help significantly. And strong-enough Bug STAB that heals Araquanid in Leech Life gives Araquanid kinda impressive utility in dual STABS. Now, neither are going to be doing too much at all, especially on something that resists, so this thing's offensive presence is going to be a major issue too.

I don't know off the top of my head what else gets Liquidation, apart from Masquerain I think, but hopefully they stay out of PU so Araquanid gets more of a niche lol.

Water Absorb is always highly useful, and helps Araquanid be part of a core in defensive-oriented/stall teams if you're running one or more walls with a water weakness. However, Water Bubble is intriguing in giving Araquanid an additional resistance (always important to a wall), and prevents burns, which is somewhat important for a physically-attacking pokemon like this one. It also protects Araquanid from residual burn damage, which is also useful, although not as important this generation given that burn now does 1/16th instead of 1/12th.

Here's what I'll try running in the beginning in PU Singles:

Pacifica (Araquanid) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 252 HP/ 4 Atk /252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Leech Life
- Liquidation
- Stockpile
- Infestation

Infestation is mainly there for residual damage but trapping a special attacker in and boosting up on it with Stockpile and then spamming Leech Life might be a passable strategy. I might replace Infestation with Power Split to a) weaken opponents b) boost Araquanid offensively. Power Split sounds appealing if Araquanid tries or is forced to stay in on a physical attacker.

Alternative Soak/Toxic strategy, which I kinda like:

Rebecca (Araquanid) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 252 HP/ 128 Def /128 SpD
Careful Nature
- Leech Life
- Protect
- Toxic
- Soak

Doubles wise; doubles is the format that interests me more (after Rotation RIP) but apart from the Perish Trap strategy nyo marionette presented, I can't think of a whole lot of strategies this thing can be a part of without being a little outclassed. Entrainment is cool for Water Bubble, but what would you want to Water Bubble that's worth it? Water Absorb/Surf is kinda boring, lol. For some reason Smogon doesn't compile tier lists for doubles past UU so I just play PU doubles using the PU singles list, and I think this thing might perform decently in a PU doubles environment. Nothing crazy. Wide Guard is always immensely valuable, and you mainly see Rock Slide in doubles so that's one less weakness Araquanid will have to worry about if it can protect itself continuously with Wide Guard. Then it could annoy with Liquidation, mainly, and use Leech Life if it desperately needs healing. Mantine worked similarly (pre-this-gen), actually.

Mipsy (Araquanid) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP/ 128 Def /128 SpD
Careful Nature
- Leech Life
- Liquidation
- Wide Guard
- Protect

Dewpider doesn't strike me like it's going to be very successful in Little Cup Doubles or Singles. Defensively it could make a specially defensive wall that could also take one or two physical hits, but with Leech Life being more or less its best healing, I think Dewpider would be supbar, even with the useful Liquidation. I don't know how many commonly problematic Fire types there are in Little Cup, which is what Dewpider would be mainly walling (?); maybe its Bug typing could help as a strategic pivot around the Fighting STAB of Timburr, Mienfoo, etc, but not even as a full counter given that both usually carry Stone Edge. I fully admit I don't know a lot about Little Cup, though; it's fun to watch but I don't play it a lot.

EDIT: How could I forget lol? Araquanid's biggest role is going to be in monotype doubles and singles. Far as I know, Araquanid is the ONLY bug type that resists Fire types. That's going to be nearly invaluable on Bug monotype teams, that already heavily struggle covering Fire weaknesses (often, Volcarona is the biggest 'counter', and it's still neutral). That's doubly relevant given how many powerful Bug/Steel types there are, and how often they're used on Bug monotype teams.

I'm actually really glad GF made this pokemon for monotype teams!

Last edited:
Made an account to say this. Check out this thread on 4chan: http://boards.4chan.org/vp/thread/29883617
Unconfirmed right now, but it looks like Water bubble may also boost the power of water moves. Thoughts? Could anyone confirm?
Interesting find.

https://sendvid.com/ij9u2pa1

Here's the video in the thread showing Liquidation dealing more damage than super effective Crunch.

Think this slightly boost araquanid's viability, though not enough to make it usable in the higher tiers.

Made an account to say this. Check out this thread on 4chan: http://boards.4chan.org/vp/thread/29883617
Unconfirmed right now, but it looks like Water bubble may also boost the power of water moves. Thoughts? Could anyone confirm?
It might be specific for Liquidation, it covers the user in water and runs into them and Water Bubble is well, covering something with water I guess.

I wonder if this:
- Works for all water moves
- Works for Only Liquidation
- Only Works for Physical Water moves (aqua jet, Liquidation, Aqua tail) not that is gets any besides Liquidation

68/92/132 defenses + Burn immunity + Fire Resistance + An interaction with water based moves, this mon has a lot going for it actually..

it better get sticky web as a tutor move next games

Sweet! Now I can totally try some stupidly gimmicky Araquanid Entrainment + Gyarados in the rain. Gyarados with a burn immunity, Water Bubble boosted STAB + rain is going to hurt.

Is the power just an Adaptability for Water moves with no STAB involved, so Liquidation becomes 85 x 2 rather 85 x 1.5? Or does it double it and add STAB, so Liquidation is 85 x 2 x 1.5? The latter is pretty huge if so.

Is the power just an Adaptability for Water moves with no STAB involved, so Liquidation becomes 85 x 2 rather 85 x 1.5? Or does it double it and add STAB, so Liquidation is 85 x 2 x 1.5? The latter is pretty huge if so.
The latter. It doubles the power of ALL water moves, and still applies STAB. Like I said earlier, this things effectively has 190 BASE ATTACK when it uses physical water moves.

The latter. It doubles the power of ALL water moves, and still applies STAB. Like I said earlier, this things effectively has 190 BASE ATTACK when it uses physical water moves.
252+ Atk Choice Band Water Bubble Araquanid Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 403-475 (57.2 - 67.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Water Bubble Araquanid Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Garchomp: 228-268 (54.2 - 63.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

This thing hurts but idk if it hurts enough.. even banded it just 2HKO's physical tanks, the only thing that make it threatening is if it can take hits to finish them off.

(These calcs are factoring in +2 and STAB along with a choice band)

70 BP is just so weak it makes the biggest damage calculations we've ever seen look shit.

Another reason to run this as a tank I suspose, its a tank that deals damage and lowers opposing defenses.

Jesus, that's a huge perk to just not mention in the ability description. If only this little guy was a few points faster. Base 70 at least would have been redeemable with a choice scarf.

252+ Atk Choice Band Water Bubble Araquanid Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 403-475 (57.2 - 67.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Water Bubble Araquanid Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Garchomp: 228-268 (54.2 - 63.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

This thing hurts but idk if it hurts enough.. even banded it just 2HKO's physical tanks, the only thing that make it threatening is if it can take hits to finish them off.

Does seem to take special hits quite well. What if you made it a bulky attacking AV? Similar to goodra

Does seem to take special hits quite well. What if you made it a bulky attacking AV? Similar to goodra
Well the main issue is typing, it just 2HKO's physical tanks *adamant banded* so it would 3HKO tanks without band. If you go specially defensive, it'll get murdered by garchomp or it won't do enough damage to 3HKO anything. If you go fully invested, its still underwhelming and can be easily irrelevant with a rotom or mega venasaur.

70 BP is just so weak it makes the biggest damage calculations we've ever seen look shit.

Another reason to run this as a tank I suspose, its a tank that deals damage and lowers opposing defenses.
I don't expect it to get to OU since it only boosts water moves. Still, it's certainly not PU after this revelation.

EDIT: Also I don't think you realize how good being able to 2HKO physical tanks on a neutral hit is. If this was super effective, it's a guaranteed 1HKO.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Shit I guess I gotta use this under TR in doubles and VGC now.

I know that's like the excuse for most of the Alola mons this gen, but I mean like... this thing straight up OHKOs Garchomp in the rain with a life orb...

That is one hell of a boost! Gotta watch out for Pelipper though.

252+ Atk Life Orb Araquanid Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Pelipper in Rain: 84-100 (50.2 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Oh jesus though, I guess its easier to wear down than I thought!

I don't expect it to get to OU since it only boosts water moves. Still, it's certainly not PU after this revelation.

Oh definitely not, I'd argue its strong enough to carry its own weight in OU.

I'm still in the impression this can be a sturdy wall that does tons of damage. Espeically for monobug teams which lack walls and fire resist.

We just have to keep in mind this is only liquidation it can benefit from (unless special araquanid is your fancy) so leech life and coverage moves are weaker than a NSE liquidation.

252+ Atk Choice Band Water Bubble Araquanid Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Druddigon: 165-195 (46 - 54.4%) -- 59% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Araquanid Leech Life vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Druddigon: 157-186 (43.8 - 51.9%) -- 12.5% chance to 2HKO

Well I'm glad that Araquinid is going to be somewhat viable because I love its design
I imagine its ideal habitat will be in Trick Room as nothing wants to switch in on Liquidation especially when they're also risking the defense drop

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 10)