Dewpider, Araquanid Discussion

Wow well this is quite the revelation. He probably won't be OU still but he might be a viable option for any teams that really really need a hard counter to fire types.

Does Water Bubble reduce fire attacks by half? If it does then Araquanid has quite an impressive amount of resistances and should get a decent amount of switch in opportunities.

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
LOL with Water Bubble buff it may work outside of FU, even in higher tiers as a niche powerful attacker. I'd guess this set would be the best wherever it ends.

Araquanid @ Choice Band
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpA
Brave Nature
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Scald
- Toxic

Liquidation kills, Leech Life is the other STAB, Scald is broken (and hits hard asf with the boost even with 50 SpA), Toxic because it learns nothing else. I guess Poison Jab OHKOes Tapu Bulu/Whimsicott/Shitinotic/Cottonee and Crunch can hit Jellicent (or Frillish depending on where this thing may end on).

Entrainment seems gay on doubles too.

I've just noticed that Araquianid gets Entrainment. That could be great for Doubles (although a bit gimmicky). Mega Swampert resists the Electric and Rock attacks that Araquanid is weak to while Araquanid can deal with the grass types that threaten Swampert. If you give Swampert Water Bubble then you've got a Burn immune mega with an incredibly powerful Waterfall.

Or give it to something with Aqua Jet. Golisopod might be good as it appreciates Water Bubble much more than Emergency Exit. The problem here though is that you've got a massive weakness to Rock Slide and Electric attacks.

252+ Atk Choice Band Water Bubble Araquanid Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Druddigon: 165-195 (46 - 54.4%) -- 59% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Araquanid Leech Life vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Druddigon: 157-186 (43.8 - 51.9%) -- 12.5% chance to 2HKO
yeah its only beneficial to use things like leech life, poison jab, crunch when
a. opponent pokemon has a water immunity
b. water is resisted but bug or poison or dark would land a super effective
c. you want to rely on the secondary effect of poison jab(poison) leech life(some health) crunch (defense drop=/= liquidation has defense drop too tho)

Does Water Bubble reduce fire attacks by half? If it does then Araquanid has quite an impressive amount of resistances and should get a decent amount of switch in opportunities.
It feels like this is almost a theme this gen, slow mons with at least 1 crazy high attacking stat and some resistances that give them switch in opportunities. Is this the wallbreaker gen? Problem is they might all be too slow even for that.

So Water Bubble gives you Fire resistance + Burn immunity + x2 power on water moves? That's ridiculously good. Imagine if something with actual offenses got this.

Power Split is also kind of interesting. Its base offensive stats are so shit that it'll almost always be reducing the power of an attacking pokemon and increasing its own power. If you put max EVs into bulk and go -atk or -spa nature you could REALLY screw up an enemy offensive pokemon. Unlike most other pokemon that have power split it's not really suffering 4MSS because due to the ability, 99% of the time you'll want to use one water attack, even if its resisted.

Power Split is also kind of interesting. Its base offensive stats are so shit that it'll almost always be reducing the power of an attacking pokemon and increasing its own power. If you put max EVs into bulk and go -atk or -spa nature you could REALLY screw up an enemy offensive pokemon. Unlike most other pokemon that have power split it's not really suffering 4MSS because due to the ability, 99% of the time you'll want to use one water attack, even if its resisted.
If this thing gets recovery/Sticky Web/ANY GOOD SUPPORTING MOVES through move tutor or something else in future gens, it's actually gonna be quite decent.

GEEZE! Way to bury the lead!
Not only does this make Araquanid a good bulky wall breaker, it also sounds really interesting for monotype and balanced hackmons.

breh

強いだね
it doesn't want to use anything but water moves, so probably something like the following:

Araquanid @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Toxic
- Protect
- Mirror Coat / Power Split / Stockpile

STAB / useful moves / filler slot

or

Araquanid @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Liquidation (scald with SpA evs over atk?)
- Stockpile

it's really hard for me to describe why something with attack higher than azumarill's feels so passive, but I guess it's because its movepool is stupidly restrictive. Mystic Water and Z-move stockpile (full heal) are other ideas of note. choice band seems bad when it practically only has liquidation and sleep talk to fill those slots with; same goes for LO.

It gets a particularly big boost out of investing in either one of its offenses since the stats are so low (i.e. the EVs make a bigger boost relative to the whole stat when the stat is lower). For the same reason it's kind of awkward to run azumarill without max attack, this should probably run a maxed out offense as well.

I know most will opt straight for the offensive sets, but I wonder if a trapping set could be niche enough to work.

Araquanid @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
252 HP / 4 Attack / 252 Speed
- Spider Web
- Toxic
- Liquidation
- Substitute / Leech Life

Due to Water Bubble Liquidation being hard to switch into outside of Water resists or Water immune mons I think this may work. Take something like Alomomola, it switches in thinking it can take the Liquidation hits easily, only for you to use Spider Web (now it can't Regen or Wish pass), then you outspeed it and Sub (it can't break the Sub in one turn) and then you proceed to Toxic it down. Against most bulky Water-types it fairs well with its 68/133 special bulk and immunity to burn, so it's not too bothered by them and doesn't fear burns from Scald. But Toxic is probably going to be pretty expected on most sets, with its movepool being so small, which I guess is a downside.

I think the nature and Speed EVs would depends on which tier it ends up and which things are common there that it could trap (so which it wants to try and outspeed if it can beat them). Might be a bit too gimmicky to work out well but I just wanted to suggest Spider Web on a set really.

edit: whoops, seem to have mentioned someone by mistake :x

I was thinking bulky all-out attacking AV with a speed reducing nature.

252 hp/attack/4 special attack
Liquidation
Scald
Ice beam/frost breath
Leech life for recovery

Ooh, I'm really hyped now! I was already planning on using Araquanid even before the Water Bubble boost was revealed, but now I'm definitely keeping it with me all the way! I did some calcs, and without rain, a fully invested Araquanid can 2HKO a special attacker Magnezone. Of course, this also means it gets 2HKO'd by Magnezone's Thunderbolt, but damn.

I think that might be with Choice Band too though... Still, this squishy spider is definitely looking like a lot of fun!

Good vgc mon.

water z crystal

Wide guard
Mirror coat/ protect
Liquidation
Poison jab/ leech life/ toxic/ rain dance/ lunge/ entrainment

Does it doubles the power of a z-move? if it does then it is totally busted.

Ooh, I'm really hyped now! I was already planning on using Araquanid even before the Water Bubble boost was revealed, but now I'm definitely keeping it with me all the way! I did some calcs, and without rain, a fully invested Araquanid can 2HKO a special attacker Magnezone. Of course, this also means it gets 2HKO'd by Magnezone's Thunderbolt, but damn.

I think that might be with Choice Band too though... Still, this squishy spider is definitely looking like a lot of fun!
I wouldn't consider 68/92/132 defenses squishy by any metric. lol

Last edited:
holy shitttttt

so hype for this monster now, I've been loving it since day 1 and I can see that finally payed off. Finally, another one of my alola favorites that wasn't given the shaft. I'd argue leech life is still almost non negotiable on it, the recovery is very valuable not to mention you hit some water resists for super effective damage, such as certain grass types, the water/darks, etc, not to mention there aren't really any moves in its movepool worth running over it.

guessing uu with solid ou viability

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)