Resource Don't Use That, Use This (V2)

since Bouffalant has now left the tier, i figured i would build off of Froggyboy 's post.

Don't use that:
289.gif

Slaking @ Choice Band
Ability: Truant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Giga Impact
- Retaliate
- Night Slash
- Earthquake

Why it's bad:
While Slaking's sky high stats are extremely appealing to a lot of players (base 150 HP, base 160 Atk, base 100 Speed), it doesn't make up for it's horrible ability (or should I say inability) in Truant. After Slaking has made a move, it becomes complete set-up fodder, as it is forced to either switch out or sit there and do nothing. It is completely walled by a simple Pokemon with Substitute or any Pokemon with Protect.

Instead, use this:
Stoutland_XY.gif

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Ability: Scrappy
Happiness: 0
Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Facade
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Why it's better:
Even without sand, Stoutland is a great wallbreaker and a huge threat in the PU meta right now. Along with a much better ability than Slaking in Scrappy, Stoutland still hits very hard with it's base 110 attack. It can even take status such as Will-o-Wisp, since it uses Facade and it isn't a sitting duck after every turn that it attacks.

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
since Bouffalant has now left the tier, i figured i would build off of Froggyboy 's post.

Don't use that:
View attachment 39586

Slaking @ Choice Band
Ability: Truant
Jolly Nature
- Giga Impact
- Retaliate
- Night Slash
- Earthquake

Why it's bad:
While Slaking's sky high stats are extremely appealing to a lot of players (base 150 HP, base 160 Atk, base 100 Speed), it doesn't make up for it's horrible ability (or should I say inability) in Truant. After Slaking has made a move, it becomes complete set-up fodder, as it is forced to either switch out or sit there and do nothing. It is completely walled by a simple Pokemon with Substitute or any Pokemon with Protect.

Instead, use this:
View attachment 39588

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Ability: Scrappy
Happiness: 0
Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Facade
- Superpower
- Crunch

Why it's better:
Even without sand, Stoutland is a great wallbreaker and a huge threat in the PU meta right now. Along with a much better ability than Slaking in Scrappy, Stoutland still hits very hard with it's base 110 attack. It can even take status such as Will-o-Wisp, since it uses Facade and it isn't a sitting duck after every turn that it attacks.
Pursuit>Crunch tho

MZ

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i'll make a slash for that
Why even slash crunch? It's a bad move to be locked into and you have to predict the ghost to come in/stay in. Even if it's SE, it has a whopping 8 bp more. Everyone who's checked the scrappy stout analysis I'm writing rn has agreed with that, so I'm not the only one saying it's useless.

Why even slash crunch? It's a bad move to be locked into and you have to predict the ghost to come in/stay in. Even if it's SE, it has a whopping 8 bp more. Everyone who's checked the scrappy stout analysis I'm writing rn has agreed with that, so I'm not the only one saying it's useless.
yeah, you make a good point. took that out :p

sorry for double post but my last post was forever ago so deal with it :]

Don't use that:

Lumineon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- U-turn
- Scald
- Defog
- Toxic

Why it's bad: While Lumineon looks like a decent candidate for your "offensive Defogger", it has no recovery and is easily worn down by hazards which it commonly switches into, being a Defogger. It sits in a Speed tier that is below offensive threats it would need to outspeed with max Speed and even with max HP and Defense investment, it struggles to take on the most common physical attackers such as Ursaring and Jumpluff.

Instead, use one of these:

Pelipper @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Air Slash / U-Turn
- Roost
- Defog

or

Swanna @ Life Orb
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Defog

Why they're better: Pelipper and Swanna each outclass Lumineon for very important reasons. First of all, they both have recovery which is very important as a Defogger, therefore they can switch into hazards and replenish the lost health. Pelipper fits the bill so much better as a defensive Defogger because of its ability to take on common threats such as Poliwrath and Leafeon much more easily. Swanna is a better offensive Defogger because it has a strong second STAB and it sits in a better Speed tier than Lumineon, being able to outspeed Pokemon such as Leafeon and Leavanny.

thought I'd try to bring some life back to this thread because the PU ladder is still awful

Akir

A true villain!
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
sorry for double post but my last post was forever ago so deal with it :]

Don't use that:

Lumineon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- U-turn
- Scald
- Defog
- Toxic

Why it's bad: While Lumineon looks like a decent candidate for your "offensive Defogger", it has no recovery and is easily worn down by hazards which it commonly switches into, being a Defogger. It sits in a Speed tier that is below offensive threats it would need to outspeed with max Speed and even with max HP and Defense investment, it struggles to take on the most common physical attackers such as Ursaring and Jumpluff.

Pelipper @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Air Slash / U-Turn
- Roost
- Defog

or

Swanna @ Life Orb
Ability: Hydration
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Defog

Why they're better: Pelipper and Swanna each outclass Lumineon for very important reasons. First of all, they both have recovery which is very important as a Defogger, therefore they can switch into hazards and replenish the lost health. Pelipper fits the bill so much better as a defensive Defogger because of its ability to take on common threats such as Poliwrath and Leafeon much more easily. Swanna is a better offensive Defogger because it has a strong second STAB and it sits in a better Speed tier than Lumineon, being able to outspeed Pokemon such as Leafeon and Leavanny.

thought I'd try to bring some life back to this thread because the PU ladder is still awful

I agree 100% with this post, but if I can be nitpicky I think you should add a mention to Lumineon's ability. People like to argue that Storm Drain gives the fish an edge over the suggestions cuz of the scald immunity and special attack boosts...and they are oh so wrong...

Bumping this thread because of something horrible I've just been made aware of:

Cosmic Power 45.994%

PLEASE don't ever use this:

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Cosmic Power
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Flamethrower / Stored Power

Why it's bad: Cosmic Power is a horrible move. You're basically just relying on luck that the opponent won't ever crit you, all while never actually being any stronger. In addition to being horribly reliant on luck, it means that you're also too weak to prevents things from simply setting up alongside you, like Swords Dance Pawniard or Nasty Plot Raichu. In general, Cosmic Power is a terrible move that is basically just lucky and bad: the move, and the fact that such a good Pokemon has such an awful set taking up half its usage is appalling.

Instead, use this:

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Flamethrower / Stored Power

Why it's better: With Calm Mind, Clefairy actually gets stronger as you set up with it, which means it can actually sweep competent teams, since you're actually capable of damaging things. This set still isn't fantastic, as it requires support to deal with things like Pawniard and Arbok, but aside from its amazing specially defensive set this is the only other viable set Clefairy can run.

Also as a side note Toxic and Seismic Toss are also randomly getting a lot of usage; just use Thunder Wave and Moonblast lol

MZ

So many recent posts have been helping this stat
Guts 32.622%

Stop using this please
217.gif

Ursaring @ Flame Orb / Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect / Swords Dance
- Facade
- Crunch
- Close Combat

This thing sees beyond ridiculous usage for how good it is. It suffers from what I'm gonna call Marowak syndrome. That refers to something that used to be usable and totally destroys stall, but is straight outclassed now and should be used only on things like Trick Room or something. PU has plenty of wall/stallbreakers like Simipour and Stoutland and Vigoroth, and Ursaring isn't as good because of how easily offense handles it. However, there's something more direct that just outclasses it.

Just use this
217.gif

Ursaring @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Quick Feet
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance / Protect
- Facade
- Crunch
- Close Combat

This thing is faster than base 105s like Rapidash and everything slower, and that makes Quick Feet the straight up better ability. It lacks the same pure wallbreaking power, but has Swords Dance anyway and is capable of OHKOing plenty of Pokemon that aren't too bulky but would've just outsped and KOd Guts Ursaring like Simipour. It's a huge threat to balance and stall anyway, but it just has a better matchup versus offense and should pretty much always be used over its Guts counterpart.

Doing these for the E-rank mons. (No one really uses them often anymore, but it's still a reminder as why they're bad)

Don't Use This:

Wailord @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Veil
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Water Spout

Wailord at first glance has many things going for it. Mainly due to its access to Water Spout. However, in practice Wailord doesn't preform all that well. It's main issue is that its STAB moves are really bad to be locked into, and the previously mentioned Water Spout is only useful if you can get Wailord at full HP, which with its low Speed, vulnerability to hazards, and it sucking badly against offense in general is very hard to do. Like the previously mentioned Guts Ursaring, this set breaks a lot of stall teams but is way too slow to be effective. If you want to use this, use it in Trick Room, but even then, in that role its outclassed by the very niche Octillery. (Which outside of Trick Room is outclassed by Simipour) Also, the bulk is very deceiving, and it goes down faster than you would expect. Shame too, because Wailord is actually pretty cool as a Pokemon itself. (Please give it a mega or something Gamefreak)

Instead, Use This:

Floatzel @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Veil
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Baton Pass/Surf

Floatzel has a slightly worse Special Attack than Wailord, so how is it better? The answer: It has a much better Speed tier. PU is a meta where a lot of things are rather quick (With mons like Rapidash, Quick Feet Ursaring, The Simis etc.), and Floatzel's base 115 speed means its better against offense and that it is only outsped by Zebstrika and a few other niche mons. Also, it has a way to create momentum via Baton Pass. Plus its main STAB is much more reliable. (If you are scared of Hydro Pump's shaky accuracy, you can use Surf, if you'd like anyway)

Well at least I tried to give good reasons as to why Floatzel is better. Also the OP is outdated as fuck. (It still has Kecleon and Throh listed, for instance)

Last edited:
Don't use that:

Fearow @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sniper
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Drill Peck
- Drill Run
- U-turn

Why not?
While not bad Fearow is extremely outclassed by Dodrio in almost every way differences being U-turn and Drill run which although cool isn't a good enough reason to use it over Dodrio.

Instead, Use this:

Dodrio @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Early Bird
Jolly Nature
- Drill Peck/Brave Bird
- Double-Edge/Return
- Knock Off
- Baton Pass (Quick attack if Brave Bird)

Why?
Dodrio and Fearow do have few similarities (Typing,Speed) but even with Fearows U-Turn and Drill run it has nothing to Dodrios access of Brave Bird and Knock Off. With Brave Bird (Much better STAB) Knock Off (need i explain) and a base 110 Att stat over Fearows base 90. Dodrio has everything going its way and the reason why people even use Fearow is U-Turn but Dodrio gets its own pivot in Baton Pass and while slightly inferior to U-turn is still a great pivot move. Every single set Fearow uses is just done better by Dodrio plain and simple.

Ps-Thanks to Magnemite for reminding me of Illegal move combination (Dodrio BB+Baton)

Last edited:
Don't use that:

Fearow @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sniper
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Drill Peck
- Drill Run
- U-turn

Why not?
While not bad Fearow is extremely outclassed by Dodrio in almost every way differences being U-turn and Drill run which although cool isn't a good enough reason to use it over Dodrio.

Instead, Use this:

Dodrio @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Return
- Knock Off
- Baton Pass

Why?
Dodrio and Fearow do have few similarities (Typing,Speed) but even with Fearows U-Turn and Drill run it has nothing to Dodrios access of Brave Bird and Knock Off. With Brave Bird (Much better STAB) Knock Off (need i explain) and a base 110 Att stat over Fearows base 90. Dodrio has everything going its way and the reason why people even use Fearow is U-Turn but Dodrio gets its own pivot in Baton Pass and while slightly inferior to U-turn is still a great pivot move. Every single set Fearow uses is just done better by Dodrio plain and simple.
Baton Pass is illegal with Brave Bird; Scarf Dodrio needs to run Double Edge and Drill Peck instead (not that that's an issue).

NINJASK RANT TIME
Don't use that:

Ninjask @ Leftovers
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Protect
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass

Or even this:

Ninjask @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Protect
- X-Scissor
- Baton Pass

Why not?
This is by far the stupidest thing ever. Jask has nothing going for it with this set it practically leaves you with 5 mons and 1 liability. Easy stopped by Piloswine and Setup fodder for so many attackers. The fact people to this day STILL use this makes me cry. Please never use this and if you are please just put X-Scissor on this :/ its embarrassing seeing people use this and still think its the most viable set for ninjask

Instead, just use this:

Ninjask @ Choice Band
Ability: Infiltrator
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- X-Scissor
- Aerial Ace
- Filler
Why?
Choice Band Ninjask is the only Ninjask that should truly be used. It takes advantage if Ninjask massive speed stat and allows you to buff its attack to maximum levels with Adamant+Choice Band combo. Used as a Quick Pivot or Late-game sweeper this is the one true Ninjask of them all that can actually put in work. U-Turn for Pivot,X-Scissor and Aerial Ace for Late-game sweeping and finally a filler move. Usually the last slot goes to Night Slash or Dig but nobody can deny you almost never use them. Hell i sometimes put Roost or Toxic for something actually beneficial. This is Ninjasks actually good set just use it over the stupid Baton Pass crap. RANT OVER

MZ

NINJASK RANT TIME
Don't use that:

Ninjask @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Protect
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass

Or even this:

Ninjask @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Protect
- X-Scissor
- Baton Pass

Why not?
This is by far the stupidest thing ever. Jask has nothing going for it with this set it practically leaves you with 5 mons and 1 liability. Easy stopped by Piloswine and Setup fodder for so many attackers. The fact people to this day STILL use this makes me cry. Please never use this and if you are please just put X-Scissor on this :/ its embarrassing seeing people use this and still think its the most viable set for ninjask

Instead, just use this:

Ninjask @ Choice Band
Ability: Infiltrator
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- X-Scissor
- Aerial Ace
- Filler
Why?
Choice Band Ninjask is the only Ninjask that should truly be used. It takes advantage if Ninjask massive speed stat and allows you to buff its attack to maximum levels with Adamant+Choice Band combo. Used as a Quick Pivot or Late-game sweeper this is the one true Ninjask of them all that can actually put in work. U-Turn for Pivot,X-Scissor and Aerial Ace for Late-game sweeping and finally a filler move. Usually the last slot goes to Night Slash or Dig but nobody can deny you almost never use them. Hell i sometimes put Roost or Toxic for something actually beneficial. This is Ninjasks actually good set just use it over the stupid Baton Pass crap. RANT OVER
But BP isn't bad tho. Not running sd is so stupid it shouldn't even be mentioned and the first set isn't that bad. Hell, I've even used offensive max attack with BP and X-scissor and that was cool. Sub isn't necessary, nor is protect, and an attack is cool. I just really don't agree with BP ninjask deserving one of these

Don't use this:

Why?
Glaceon is a pretty loved Pokemon, mainly because it comes from the Eeveelution group. However competitively, it isn't that impressive. Sure 130 SpA and 110 Def looks appealing at first, and it has Baton Pass, but thats where the ups stop. Firstly Ice is a poor defensive typing, leaving it plenty of weaknesses, like Steel, Fighting, Fire, and Rock, which are common in most metas, so it's physical bulk is worse now, since a lot of physical attackers carry coverage to hit it super effectively. Secondly, it has poor coverage, with only Shadow Ball, Signal Beam, and Hidden Power. Thirdly its speed is pretty bad for an offensive Pokemon in 65, and with as many weaknesses as it has, it isn't really good for it.

Why?
Aurorus firstly has two much better abilities in Snow Warning and Refrigerate, giving it more powerful Ice STAB to abuse. While its typing is worse, it makes up for it for being a better wallbreaker and sweeper with Rock Polish, leaving it with few defensive answers. Secondly it has better coverage with Earth Power and Freeze Dry, hitting harder than Glaceon's coverage and taking on Water and Steel types much easier. Regice is basically the same story, with a better ability in Clear Body, better coverage with Focus Blast and Thunderbolt, better sweeping capabilities with Rock Polish, and having better overall bulk than Glaceon.

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
Don't use this:

Unfezant @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Super Luck
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Aerial Ace
- U-turn
- Quick Attack

Unfezant @ Choice Band
Ability: Super Luck
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Aerial Ace
- U-turn
- Quick Attack

Why it's bad: I don't even know why people use Unfezant with this set on the ladder so much, but they apparently do so posting this. The only niche Unfezant has Dodrio is access to its ability, which allows it to clutch some KOs if lucky, U-Turn(very slight niche), and the capacity to run a Tailwind along with Hypnosis set, as it is totally outclassed by Dodrio in every other set. At a first look the slightly higher attack of Unfezant compared to Dodrio could trick someone into thinking a choice set could be good, but the lack of a good Flying STAB is really heavy along with lack of decent coverage options, making this unable to clean or revengekill threats, whereas Dodrio has an easier job doing it because of access to Brave Bird and also higher Speed.

Instead, Use this:

Dodrio @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Return
- Knock Off
- Quick Attack / Toxic

Dodrio @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Return
- Knock Off
- Quick Attack

Why it's better: Dodrio outclasses almost completely Unfezant when talking about purely offensive sets such as Choice Scarf and Band, because of its higher Speed and access to extremely useful moves and coverage options such as Brave Bird and Knock Off, which allow it to revengekill a bigger variety of threats and give it way more possibilites than Unfezant to clean the opposing team. Access to Knock Off is particularly useful these days, as cores which make use of Eviolite users such as Tangela and Clefairy are really popular.

Bumping this thread because I discovered something rather disturbing that roughly 40% of Avalugg are doing.

Impish:252/4/252/0/0/0 24.034% | Impish:248/8/252/0/0/0 15.658%

Just... no.

Don't use this:

with 252+ Defense or 252 HP

Why it's bad: Avalugg is already stupidly bulky on the physical side, so why people feel the need to amp it up is beyond me, yet paradoxically understandable. If anything, you should be investing in special bulk, which is what it needs. I'll explain why 252 HP is bad below.

Instead, use this:

with 252+ Special Defense and 248 HP

Why it's better: First, as promised, the HP stat. Avalugg is weak to Stealth Rock, and 252 HP gives it an even HP stat, which means SR (and hazards in general) will take a larger portion of its HP away. While one point (which is what it loses by running 248 HP, by the way) may not seem like that much, it can switch in on SR one time more with an odd HP stat. Now for the special bulk. Consider the following sample calculations:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Beheeyem Psychic vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Avalugg: 264-312 (67.1 - 79.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Beheeyem Psychic vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Avalugg: 426-502 (108.3 - 127.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Dodrio Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 120-142 (30.5 - 36.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Dodrio Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Avalugg: 153-180 (38.9 - 45.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Sure, you take some more physical damage, but the increase in special bulk more than makes up for it. You even have a fair chance at living a Psychic from Specs Beheeyem after rocks, for example, whereas the physical spread is always OHKOed, Sturdy notwithstanding.

Shell Smash 77.347%
White Herb 54.496%

Don't use this:
Barbaracle @ Anything but White Herb
Ability: Tough Claws
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Razor Shell
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace

This kinda confuses me. Shell Smash and White Herb are the perfect couple. When Shell Smash lowers your defenses, White Herb boosts them back up. This basically gives you a single turn super boost which can decimate unprepared teams. However without White Herb, Barbaracle becomes frail and very susceptible to priority or bulky revenge killers.

Use this:
Barbaracle @ White Herb
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Razor Shell
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace

With White herb, Barbaracle is now ready to destroy teams with less chance of being revenge killed. Barbaracle's decent 72/115/86 defenses shouldn't be ruined by stat drops. Here are some calcs to show how it could be revenge killed:

252+ Atk Life Orb Carracosta Stone Edge vs. -1 0 HP / 4 Def Barbaracle: 273-321 (95.7 - 112.6%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Carracosta Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Barbaracle: 181-214 (63.5 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Gigalith Superpower vs. -1 0 HP / 4 Def Barbaracle: 392-462 (137.5 - 162.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Gigalith Superpower vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Barbaracle: 260-308 (91.2 - 108%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

This is my first post in this type of forum so correct me if I did something wrong.

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus

Shell Smash 77.347%
White Herb 54.496%

Don't use this:
Barbaracle @ Anything but White Herb
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Razor Shell
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace

This kinda confuses me. Shell Smash and White Herb are the perfect couple. When Shell Smash lowers your defenses, White Herb boosts them back up. This basically gives you a single turn super boost which can decimate unprepared teams. However without White Herb, Barbaracle becomes frail and very susceptible to priority or bulky revenge killers.

Use this:
Barbaracle @ White Herb
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Razor Shell
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace

With White herb, Barbaracle is now ready to destroy teams with less chance of being revenge killed. Barbaracle's decent 72/115/86 defenses shouldn't be ruined by stat drops. Here are some calcs to show how it could be revenge killed:

252+ Atk Life Orb Carracosta Stone Edge vs. -1 0 HP / 4 Def Barbaracle: 273-321 (95.7 - 112.6%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Carracosta Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Barbaracle: 181-214 (63.5 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Gigalith Superpower vs. -1 0 HP / 4 Def Barbaracle: 392-462 (137.5 - 162.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Gigalith Superpower vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Barbaracle: 260-308 (91.2 - 108%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

This is my first post in this type of forum so correct me if I did something wrong.
Barbaracle doesn't actually run Aerial Ance anymore as it was only to hit Tangela and Poliwrath. The better move now is Poison Jab to hit Tangela Harder.

MZ

Ok, I will. The thing is that non White Herb Barbaracle isn't bad. Wacan and Shuca Berry are both cool items that let it set up on the common Electric- and Ground-types respectively (shuca is meh but wacan is actually quite good), and even Lum isn't too bad. Smash Barb doesnt have to run white herb, it's the best option overall but it does have others. Other than that, don't post calc's for irrelevant things when making a post like this, Gigalith shouldnt come into play because it's not actually good or relevant in the tier, calc things that actually are good. Plus what Twix said about Poison Jab being better now (the analysis is outdated). For a good way to check what is actually worth posting here, try asking in the PU room on Showdown, or even checking the analysis of the pokemon in question (the analysis has a main item slash for Lum berry, so something other than white herb is good). Oh, and scarf is a set too. The fact that so few Barb run smash/white herb is bad, but this doesnt really belong here.

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
Don't use this:

Dusknoir @ Spell Tag / Leftovers / Lum Berry / whatever item that isn't Choice Band
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch / Thunder Punch
- Power-Up Punch

Why it's bad: This set variation is seeing some usage on the ladder and I faced it like 4 times in 20 games, basically every time I found a Dusknoir, and I don't know why it is actually used. Losing a moveslot and an immediate boost in power in change of access to Power-Up Punch and not being locked in a single move isn't really worth it, as this is still mediocre offensively, and outclassed by other set up sweepers(hi shell smashers), while outdone as an offensive spinblocker by the Choice Band set.

Instead, Use this:

Dusknoir @ Choice Band
Ability: Frisk
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch / Thunder Punch
- Trick / Pursuit

Why it's better: This Choice Band set allows Dusknoir, in a better way than a PuP set, to make use of its best niches it has over other Ghost-types such as Misdreavus, which are mainly solid physical attack, access to Trick, and Shadow Sneak. In fact, if running Power-Up Punch, Dusknoir won't be able to run moves such as Trick and Pursuit because of the lack of moveslots. While if running Choice Band, Dusknoir will hit harder from the start, and it will be able to cripple walls with Trick or make use of Pursuit to take advantage of forced switches against Pokemon such as Grumpig and Kadabra. Being locked into a move isn't a catastrophe as most setup sweepers will still hardly find any set up on things such as a STAB Choice Band Shadow Sneak, and in the case you are desperate you can still Trick your Choice Band away.

When people use the PuP set its usually this set:

Dusknoir @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Power-Up Punch
- Focus Punch / Pursuit
- Sucker Punch

Myself and others that have actually used this set think that it's pretty good due to the fact that while you don't have the immediate power of band, you can easily catch yourself sweeping/cleaning with a combination of Power-Up Punch + Sucker Punch / Shadow Sneak. This set set is especially nice for catching a Stout trying to get a free switch in and you just hit him with a Focus Punch or even if you find yourself 1 v 1 against an Ursa, Stout, Dodrio, or Linoone you can often get a surprise KO with Sucker Punch or get them within killing range. If my team really appreciates a wounded Kadabra or Grumpig I just use Pursuit over Focus Punch. I honestly have found this set to work best for me the majority of the time instead of band.

Raichu usage:
Modest:4/0/0/252/0/252 3.404%
Hidden Power Water 6.894%

Don't use this
View attachment 34328
Raichu @ Choice Scarf/Expert Belt/Life Orb
Ability: Lightning Rod
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Water]

Hidden power water is an overall weak coverage move for raichu, and modest nature ruins its excellent speed tier that normally ties with tauros and outpaces threats from haunter to simipour to kadabra.

Use this
View attachment 34328
Raichu @ Choice Scarf/Expert Belt/Life Orb
Ability: Lightningrod
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Grass knot

Grass knot is a much better move for raichu as it hits piloswine and golem, the main targets of hp water, much harder. Timid keeps its excellent speed tier allowing it to be a much more effective revenge killer/sweeper/volt-turner

tell me if I need longer descriptions pls
Raichu also gets Surf, so you could use that instead. You could also use HP Ice as it has much better coverage.

Raichu also gets Surf, so you could use that instead. You could also use HP Ice as it has much better coverage.
This post was from a completely different meta, which explains why it has Grass Knot > HP Ice, which is much better in the current meta for Pokemon such as Roselia and Jumpluff.

*just touching on the D-Ranks*
FOR THE LOVE OF ARCEUS AND LORD HELIX DONT EVER USE THIS

Chimecho @Item

Ability: Levitate
EV's: EV/EV/EV
<insert nature> Nature
- move 1
- move 2
- move 3
- move 4
Do I even need to explain why Chimecho is bad? It has shallow movepool and poor stats except for its average Sp.Atk. It could run heal bell but other than that niche(which several BETTER pokemon have) Chimecho should never be seen on any serious team.

Use these instead:

-Beeheyem can wreck walls and everything with bad special defense with STAB Psychic/Psychock and his Specs set, as well as having 2 good abilities in Synchronize and Analytic.
-Duosion can use Eviolite and while having a shallow move pool, it's less shallow than Chimecho's and unlike our wind chime, can use its move pool to its advantage.
-Mr. Mime is a Fairy, getting STAB Dazzling Gleam which Chimecho lacks and has better stats.
-Grumpig has a fairly good movepool, the stats to use said move pool, and has better bulk.
-Anything i said about Duosion applies to Kadabra except it has a less shallow movepool. It also has better stats than both Chimecho and Duosion.

BUT Chimecho can heal bell..well so can these, and they do it better.

(#Grumpigception)

So yeah, If you need a Psychic-type Special Sweeper, use these:
Beeheeyem
Duosion
Mr Mime
Grumpig
Kadabra

And for heal bell users use these:
Clefairy
(#)Grumpig(ception)
Kricketune
Leafeon
Misdreavus

Which are all better than Chimecho.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)