Chimecho @Item

Ability: Levitate
EV's: EV/EV/EV
<insert nature> Nature
- move 1
- move 2
- move 3
- move 4
Do I even need to explain why Chimecho is bad? It has shallow movepool and poor stats except for its average Sp.Atk. It could run heal bell but other than that niche(which several BETTER pokemon have) Chimecho should never be seen on any serious team.

Use these instead:

-Beeheyem can wreck walls and everything with bad special defense with STAB Psychic/Psychock and his Specs set, as well as having 2 good abilities in Synchronize and Analytic.
-Duosion can use Eviolite and while having a shallow move pool, it's less shallow than Chimecho's and unlike our wind chime, can use its move pool to its advantage.
-Mr. Mime is a Fairy, getting STAB Dazzling Gleam which Chimecho lacks and has better stats.
-Grumpig has a fairly good movepool, the stats to use said move pool, and has better bulk.
-Anything i said about Duosion applies to Kadabra except it has a less shallow movepool. It also has better stats than both Chimecho and Duosion.

BUT Chimecho can heal bell..well so can these, and they do it better.

(#Grumpigception)

So yeah, If you need a Psychic-type Special Sweeper, use these:
Beeheeyem
Duosion
Mr Mime
Grumpig
Kadabra

And for heal bell users use these:
Clefairy
(#)Grumpig(ception)
Kricketune
Leafeon
Misdreavus

Which are all better than Chimecho.
Kricketune is not a viable Heal Bell user. Its niche lies in Sticky Web.

*just touching on the D-Ranks*
FOR THE LOVE OF ARCEUS AND LORD HELIX DONT EVER USE THIS

Chimecho @Item

Ability: Levitate
EV's: EV/EV/EV
<insert nature> Nature
- move 1
- move 2
- move 3
- move 4
Do I even need to explain why Chimecho is bad? It has shallow movepool and poor stats except for its average Sp.Atk. It could run heal bell but other than that niche(which several BETTER pokemon have) Chimecho should never be seen on any serious team.

Use these instead:

-Beeheyem can wreck walls and everything with bad special defense with STAB Psychic/Psychock and his Specs set, as well as having 2 good abilities in Synchronize and Analytic.
-Duosion can use Eviolite and while having a shallow move pool, it's less shallow than Chimecho's and unlike our wind chime, can use its move pool to its advantage.
-Mr. Mime is a Fairy, getting STAB Dazzling Gleam which Chimecho lacks and has better stats.
-Grumpig has a fairly good movepool, the stats to use said move pool, and has better bulk.
-Anything i said about Duosion applies to Kadabra except it has a less shallow movepool. It also has better stats than both Chimecho and Duosion.

BUT Chimecho can heal bell..well so can these, and they do it better.

(#Grumpigception)

So yeah, If you need a Psychic-type Special Sweeper, use these:
Beeheeyem
Duosion
Mr Mime
Grumpig
Kadabra

And for heal bell users use these:
Clefairy
(#)Grumpig(ception)
Kricketune
Leafeon
Misdreavus

Which are all better than Chimecho.
Uhh Chimecho is pretty bad but it's certainly viable and it has a niche. Chimecho is a usable defensive Healing Wish user that has speed and a few support moves over Clefairy. It isn't anything to slap on teams but it's not the worst thing ever if you use it for its niche.

Two different pokemon i feel just should be.
Dont use this:
upload_2015-10-17_13-24-5.jpeg

Machoke @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: ?
? Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake

Why not?
Machoke is one of Pu's top pokemon and this set does no justice to its capabilities. I have seen this on ladder way to much and it really should stop all you do is lose your eviolite for a guaranteed burn which isnt at all necessary for it to be effective along with the unnecessary item ive seen it in conjunction with earthquake even though the move looks appealing it provides no benefit like Thunder-Punch or Ice-Punch do in comparison

Also, Not this either:
upload_2015-10-17_13-26-5.jpeg

Meowstic (M) @ Flame Orb / Toxic Orb / Choice Band/Specs/Scarf
Ability: Prankster
EVs: ?
? Nature
- Trick
- Thunder Wave
- Light Screen
- Reflect

Why not?
Meowstic-M requires the Light Clay to be as effective as possible and while using trick and crippling something may be good it greatly hampers the effectiveness of a dual screener such as Meowstic-M who has that as his dedicated role on offensive teams.

Instead, Use these Machoke sets:
upload_2015-10-17_13-24-24.jpeg

Machoke @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 24 Def / 28 SpD / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Ice Punch / Thunder Punch

Or

upload_2015-10-17_13-24-28.jpeg

Machoke @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Knock Off
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Why use these Machoke sets?
Machoke Benefits greatly using an Eviolite upping its decent bulk allowing it to survive hits and becoming the all around tank that he is. Ice or Thunder Punch give Machoke good coverage against the likes of Bulky Flying,Grass,Ground and Water types without the drop in your defenses.

No Guard Machoke [despite my hatred for it] is another viable set to use over Flame Orb thanks to the combination of No Guard+Dynamic Punch. D-Punch and Knock off allow machoke to deal with a majority of the meta while Rest is used for Recovery+getting rid of status while sleep talk allows you to possibly use Dynamic Punch without using its low PP. You can also use Bullet Punch or Ice/Thunder Punch to make an annoying Confusion tank but with the fear of status.

Both of these sets bring out machokes potential and allow it to be the best it can for your team.

And, This Meowstic-M set:
upload_2015-10-17_13-33-32.jpeg

Meowstic-M @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Yawn / Psychic
- Thunder Wave

Why use this Mewostic-M set?
Without Light Clay there isnt any real reason to use dual screen Meowstic-M you want your screens up for as long as you can and getting rid of that capability hampers the overall usefulness of the psychic cat. Yawn and T-Wave are fine enough options for support trick isnt required for anymore and if its damage your looking for psychic over yawn provides you with a source of damage and doesnt keep you taunt bait.

Attachments

Don't use this:

Why it's bad: Meganium does not look that bad on paper, with decent 80/100/100 bulk and a usable support movepool. It is, however, outclassed as a bulky Grass mon by a bunch of other stuff, all having utility that Meganium just doesn't.

Instead, use one of these:

Why they're better: Roselia is arguably the best mon in PU right now, having fair bulk with Eviolite and access to both Spikes and Toxic Spikes, plus a bonus Poison typing. It also has Natural Cure for status absorption, Sleep Powder, and decent offensive presence. Tangela is an excellent pivot thanks to Regenerator, has insane physical bulk which is also Eviolite boosted, and hits just as hard as Roselia. Super Size Gourgeist is rather slow, but makes up for it with its own support movepool, which includes Will-o-Wisp, item scouting with Frisk, and a Ghost typing that lets it block Rapid Spin. It can also surprise a would-be Fire, Ice, or Flying switch in with Rock Slide if it has room for it.

TRIGGER WARNING: MAD @ HAPPY DINO

Don't use this:

Meganium @ Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Petal Blizzard
- Earthquake
- Outrage

Why it's bad: As a set-up sweeper, there are very man problems Meganium faces. For one, base 80 speed means there is little chance of Meganium being able to set up vs. offense and even faster balance builds, and Meganium just doesn't have the power to break through bulkier builds. Secondly, its pure Grass typing does it little favors, leaving it weak to so many common revenge killers like Rapidash, Rotom-F, and Dodrio. Finally, even if these flaws weren't enough, Meganium just finds it hopefully outclassed in an offensive role by the following two mons, who can actually pose a threat..

Instead, use these:

Leafeon @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Iron Tail / X-Scissor / Baton Pass

Sawsbuck @ Life Orb
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Double-Edge / Return
- Jump Kick / Megahorn / Baton Pass

Why they are better: These two are much better in the role HAPPY DINO tries to serve for multiple reasons. For Leafeon, while having less special bulk, has more physical defense and speed, along with more power and can actually sweep offense given that Sun is up thanks to Chlorophyll. Sawsbuck on the other hand, has a strong secondary STAB, better speed and power, and better coverage in Jump Kick or Megahorn, both of which providing much more than Earthquake and Outrage. Plus both have Baton Pass, which allows them to gain momentum and even pass their SD boosts onto a teammate given they can't sweep.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm relatively new to PU and Smogon altogether, but I feel like I need to address this:
Don't use this:
Chatot (Chatot) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Tangled Feet
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid/Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Air Cutter
- Nasty Plot
- Heat Wave

Instead, use this:
Chatot (Chatot) @ Choice Scarf/Specs
Timid/Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Air Cutter
- U- Turn
- Heat Wave

Why? Because chatot doesn't really have a key opportunity to set up. And on the turn it does set up, it will get knocked down to its sash, and then get hefted by a Mach Punch Monferno or something.
Apologies if my reason doesn't make sense, I'm still learning my way around Smogon.

Last edited:
I'm relatively new to PU and Smogon altogether, but I feel like I need to address this:
Don't use this:
Chatot (Chatot) @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Air Cutter
- Nasty Plot
- Heat Wave

Instead, use this:
Chatot (Chatot) @ Choice Scarf/Specs
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Air Cutter
- U- Turn
- Heat Wave

Why? Because chatot doesn't really have a key opportunity to set up. And on the turn it does set up, it will get knocked down to its sash, and then get hefted by a Mach Punch Monferno or something.
Apologies if my reason doesn't make sense, I'm still learning my way around Smogon.
It makes perfect sense, and I just adressed the same issue in the PU chat today. Good post, however you should have Modest slashed on the second set. :]

alright this is disturbing

Don't use this:

Wormadam-Trash @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Protect
- Iron Head

Why it's bad: I admit, the usage numbers above may be out of date a little, but still, i have no idea why this has more usage over Metang, as Metang is better than it in just about every other way. Wormadam may have a nice typing that only gives it one, albeit big, weakness but it's horribly slow, even for a rock setter and it can do little damage to other mons other than toxic stalling them. It's only small redeemable feature, if at all useful, is Overcoat, but i doubt it'll be doing much anyways.

Instead, use this:

Metang @ Eviolite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake/Bullet Punch/Pursuit
- Toxic

Why it's good: Metang has better stats overall, especially in defense and it has numerous useful resistances that make it bulky. A notable fact is that it has a base speed of 50, which allows it to beat other common sr setters such as golem and probopass. To top it off, metang has a decent attack stat, along with priority in bullet punch, allowing it to actually do some damage.

Last edited:
Well, apologies in advance for the necrobump, but scouring the January 1630 stats, I am finding more mons using Assault Vest that shouldn't. 62 of them, to be exact. Hopefully Magnemite doesn't get mad at me for using his idea, but I'll go with different mons than what he posted.

Politoed (11.668%)

Politoed has some nice bulk, but with AV, its only recovery at all is Water Absorb, and while Floatzel is a threat, it's not enough to keep it from being worn down. Politoed also likes to run Encore for support as well, and occasionally Toxic and Perish Song to mess with would-be switch-ins, none of which it can actually do with AV.

Altaria (5.414%)

Altaria's best sets in PU are offensive with Dragon Dance or Life Orb, or defensive with Roost, Toxic, and Heal Bell. Neither one works with AV despite its bulk and decent (by PU standards) typing, as in the former case, it's way too weak, while in the latter, it can't use its support moves, and being weak to Stealth Rock is not nice either.

Camerupt (6.380%)

Camerupt is a tank, but likes to have Stealth Rock because it's Stealth Rock, and Toxic to lure its checks (which are primarily bulky waters). I don't think I need to explain why that does not work with AV. It also gets worn down quickly thanks to its middling bulk and awful speed (both of which are on par with, for example, Beheeyem).

Articuno (2.020%)

This doesn't have a lot of usage, but it's worth mentioning because someone apparently though Ice/Flying was a good defensive typing...

Seaking (18.550%)

Seaking has a niche as a CB user with only one weakness, and while it can't abuse the SpA boost from Lightning Rod, it can still come in on Electric moves and has Drill Run. For some reason, a fair number of people look at its 80/65/80 defenses and think it's a good AV user. No. Just stick to wallbreaking if you want to use Seaking at all.

And for the last two, I present what are probably the most egregious ones I saw on the list.

Dewgong (45.297%)

Dewgong is pretty much a worse Lapras in every way, and AV Lapras is a pretty terrible set for its own reasons, but this is the most used item on Dewgong. I really don't know what else to say here.

Zweilous (3.930%)

NFEs with AV are a huge red flag in the first place, since Eviolite boosts your physical bulk as well while placing no restrictions on your move choices. Zweilous is no exception to that rule, although, thanks to Hustle, it arguably works better as a CB user, making it a powerful, albeit inaccurate, wallbreaker.

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Well, apologies in advance for the necrobump, but scouring the January 1630 stats, I am finding more mons using Assault Vest that shouldn't. 62 of them, to be exact. Hopefully Magnemite doesn't get mad at me for using his idea, but I'll go with different mons than what he posted.

Politoed (11.668%)

Politoed has some nice bulk, but with AV, its only recovery at all is Water Absorb, and while Floatzel is a threat, it's not enough to keep it from being worn down. Politoed also likes to run Encore for support as well, and occasionally Toxic and Perish Song to mess with would-be switch-ins, none of which it can actually do with AV.

Altaria (5.414%)

Altaria's best sets in PU are offensive with Dragon Dance or Life Orb, or defensive with Roost, Toxic, and Heal Bell. Neither one works with AV despite its bulk and decent (by PU standards) typing, as in the former case, it's way too weak, while in the latter, it can't use its support moves, and being weak to Stealth Rock is not nice either.

Camerupt (6.380%)

Camerupt is a tank, but likes to have Stealth Rock because it's Stealth Rock, and Toxic to lure its checks (which are primarily bulky waters). I don't think I need to explain why that does not work with AV. It also gets worn down quickly thanks to its middling bulk and awful speed (both of which are on par with, for example, Beheeyem).

Articuno (2.020%)

This doesn't have a lot of usage, but it's worth mentioning because someone apparently though Ice/Flying was a good defensive typing...

Seaking (18.550%)

Seaking has a niche as a CB user with only one weakness, and while it can't abuse the SpA boost from Lightning Rod, it can still come in on Electric moves and has Drill Run. For some reason, a fair number of people look at its 80/65/80 defenses and think it's a good AV user. No. Just stick to wallbreaking if you want to use Seaking at all.

And for the last two, I present what are probably the most egregious ones I saw on the list.

Dewgong (45.297%)

Dewgong is pretty much a worse Lapras in every way, and AV Lapras is a pretty terrible set for its own reasons, but this is the most used item on Dewgong. I really don't know what else to say here.

Zweilous (3.930%)

NFEs with AV are a huge red flag in the first place, since Eviolite boosts your physical bulk as well while placing no restrictions on your move choices. Zweilous is no exception to that rule, although, thanks to Hustle, it arguably works better as a CB user, making it a powerful, albeit inaccurate, wallbreaker.
All of this is great, except for Seaking's standard set. While CB is at least usable, that set is slightly outdated and current sets use Waterfall / Knock Off / Megahorn / Facade with Leftovers and a bulkier spread found here for switching into each variant of Rotom-F (scarf or subwisp). The rest of this is spot on though!

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
All of this is great, except for Seaking's standard set. While CB is at least usable, that set is slightly outdated and current sets use Waterfall / Knock Off / Megahorn / Facade with Leftovers and a bulkier spread found here for switching into each variant of Rotom-F (scarf or subwisp). The rest of this is spot on though!
Seaking isn't a bad AV user actually, although the Leftovers set is definitely better. But Seaking only switches into special attacks anyway, and AV can help it check some stuff like Scarf Mime and Grumpig.

Don't use This:

Bastiodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Roar
- Magic Coat / Metal Burst

I've seen quite a few Bastiodon on the low ladder and i honestly don't know why. At first glance it's Defense-Stats look very nice for a Stealth Rocker and Mixed Wall, but then you realize how bad it's Typing is defensively with that nasty 4x Fighting- and Ground-Weakness, which hinders it's ability to check Normal- and Flying-Types and either Physical and Special Attackers in general. It's also extremely passive due to very low attacking stats and no attacking move, so many Pokemon (especially the very common and threatening Machoke) can come in almost for free and start to threatening it. Also without the recommended Magic Coat, every random Pokemon with Taunt completely stops it in it's tracks, which really sucks. Many of these flaws also apply to Probopass, who struggles quite a bit in the current Meta, but at least it has a slow Volt Switch to gain Momentum, Magnet Pull to Trap and Kill Pawniard with a bit Prior-Damage and weakening Metang for other Teammates (although Sturdy seems to be more useful in the current meta). There are also other Bulky Stealth Rocker who all get the job way better done and have some good niches, which many teams really appreciate while Bastiodon is completely outclassed and deserving of it's E-Rank Status in the VR.

Instead, use one of these:

Golem is one of the best Pokemon in the tier and fills - depending on the playstyle of the team - different roles very effectively. The sturdy suicide lead with WP / Custap Berry is one of the best suicide leads in the tier with monferno and gets almost assured sr on the field early game. It can also become very threatening with a weakness policy boost, revenge kill weakened threats with sucker punch or blow up with custap explosion and can still be used as a choiced flying-, normal- and electric-check, if really needed, while the spd set with toxic + protect is a really nice normal-, flying- and electric-check, can get stealth rocks up throughout the game + scouting moves from choiced mons and can even stall a bit with toxic + protect.

Gabite is, thanks to Eviolite - really sturdy on the physical side and is unlike most other Stealth Rocker not very weak against fighting-, physical water- and Grass-types like any Monferno, CB floatzel, Leafeon, Sawsbuck and physical based Simisage-Sets. It can also soft check choiced electric-types, Relicanth and Rampardos, countering Arbok and it also checks Fire-Types like Rapidash, Ninetales and Simisear. It also beats most common Stealth Rockers in the tier like Golem, Camerupt, Stunfisk, Metang and even Relicanth 1on1, which is really cool. It really likes Wish-Support though, to check all the aforementioned threats reliably and to get stealth rocks on the field throughout the game.

Camerupt is one of the best Electric-Type Checks in the tier, can soft check ice types like Rotom-F, Regice, Articuno etc., special Fire-Types like Ninetales and Simisear, Klang etc. It can also forme many good Balance-Cores like Camerupt + Roselia / Tangela / Gourgeist-super + Politoed / Lapras or Camerupt + Altaria + bulky water / bulky grass type, beating a few Stealth Rockers like Probopass, Metang and Stunfisk 1on1 and can also get stealth rocks up multiple times, it hates like bulky water defogger like Lumineon and Prinplup though (although all stealth rockers in the tier bar maybe stunfisk don't really like them either, most of them can cripple them with toxic though) and appreciates Wish Support to not get worn down too fast.

Stunfisk is one of the best blanket Electric-Type Checks in the tier and only really fears Blizzard from Rotom-F and LO / Choice Specs Surf from Raichu, while at the same time checking Arbok, Monferno, Pawniard, Mightyena, Dodrio, Stoutland (although there are better Stoutland-Checks out there), Rapidash and Mukrow with max. Def or countering most Electrics and checking Chatot, Ninetales, Simisear and Mr. Mime with max. SpD.
It also fares pretty good vs most defogger and rapid spinner in the Tier like Vullaby, Prinplup, Lumineon and Vibrava after toxicing it on the switch, it loses against Cryogonal, Armaldo and after bit Prio-Damage to Swanna 1on1 though, so Teammates who can get rid of these Pokemon are very appreciated. Like basically all other Bulky Stealth Rocker it also appreciates Wish Support from Audino (its not really nessecary though).

Metang is one of the best Psychic and Ice-Type Checks in the tier, namely Mr. Mime, Grumpig, Beheeyem and Kadabra + Regice, Articuno, Cryogonal, Beartic and Glaceon. It also checks Normal- and Flying-Types like Dodrio, Chatot and Jumpluff (only after it put something to sleep with sleep powder though) + Stoutland, Sawsbuck and Purugly and can get up Stealth Rock pretty easily on the field. Thanks to access to Pursuit, it can trap aforementioned Psychic-Types and can also get chip damage on locked Choice-Attackers. It tends even more than most other Stealth Rocker to get worn down fast though and loses vs most defogger and rapid spinner 1on1, so it depends heavily on other Pokemon to get rid of the Pokemon, who hinder it at getting one of it's main jobs done and very appreciates Wish Support.

Relicanth is one of the best Normal- and Flying-Checks in the tier, like Dodrio, Murkrow, Drifblim (only the Acrobatics-Set though) Stoutland (it hates CB / LO Superpower though), Chatot and Purugly. It also checks threatening Dark-Types like Pawniard and Mightyena + physiscal Fire-Types like Rapidash (it hates Will-O-Wisp Burns though), physical Altaria-Sets, Ninjask etc. It's main niche lies in Rock Head Head Smash though, which gives it a very good offensive presence and lets most defogger and rapid spinner think twice before coming in and trying to get rid of Stealth Rock, so it very reliably gets Stealth Rock up and often they end up staying on the field. It also can run an even more threatening Choice Band-Set, which is one of the most fearsome Wallbreakers in the tier and has got very few switch-ins and a Rock Polish-Set for Lategame-Cleaning.

All of these mentioned Pokemon are really good in this tier and do their jobs way better than poor Bastiodon could ever dream of.

Edit: Just saw, that Raiza posted Bastiodon on page 1 one year ago, i will put up another bad pokemon / set later today or tomorrow though.

Don't use This:

Mothim @ Focus Sash / Life Orb
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest / Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Mothim @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Modest / Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- U-turn

Another Bad Pokemon i've seen in Low and also Mid Ladder, which really shouldn't be used on any serious Team whatsoever and all it's Sets are completely outclassed by at least one another Pokemon. Quiver Dance is really weak (it doesn't even kill healthy Grumpig and Beheeyem with +1 Bug Buzz without Life Orb and without Focus Sash it has even more trouble to actually get off a Quiver Dance-Boost) and been done better by either Butterfree, who also has Tinted Lens, a bit better Speed + Sleep Powder to potentially incapacitate one Pokemon for the rest of the Battle and make Setup easier, while Dustox at least has Iron Defense + Roost to make a bulkier Quiver Dance Sweeper-Set possible (although it's niche as a bulky Special-Sweeper is questionable at best, because Clefairy and Duosion tend to do the job better like 99% of the time and it's E-Rank so y lol). The Choice Specs-Set is also completely outclassed by Butterfree because of the reasons stated above (and Choice Specs Butterfree isn't even in the other options of its analysis), i guess it could also potentially use a Choice Band Set with U-turn as the main move, but that Set is even worse than Quiver Dance and Choice Specs + completely outclassed by Ninjask, who has got a amazing speed stat + infiltrator to troll sub users.

Instead, use this:

Butterfree @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Bug Buzz
- Psychic / Energy Ball

Butterfree does the job as a Offensive Quiver Dance Sweeper just better than Mothim like i explained above, although it needs some support to actually work like something with Rapid Spin or Defog as a teammate (Prinplup, Cryogonal, Armaldo, Lumineon, Vibrava, Avalugg), Hazards (especially Spikes, but T-Spikes can work too and every competitive Team should have Stealth Rock anyway) and maybe T-Wave or Dual Screens Support too, to get better around Scarfers and Priority-Users. Quiver Dance boosts SpA, SpD + Speed to 1 Stage and is a must have, if you ever want to use Butterfree, the same with Sleep Powder which can potentially make one Pokemon useless for the rest of the game and greatly increases the chances to get off at least 1 Quiver Dance. Bug Buzz is the STAB-Move and can hit even some frailer resists for nice damage thanks to it's Ability Tinted Lens, while the last slot is used for some coverage move. Psychic hits Machoke, Monferno, Arbok and Roselia for really nice damage, while Energy Ball OHKO's Relicanth and does more damage to Stunfisk and Bulky Water like Politoed, Prinplup, Lapras, AV Seaking, Lumineon and the niche Chinchou, but Psychic is probably better in the current meta because it hits more relevant threats. I don't go further about Choice Specs, because Butterfree shouldn't really use that, but its still better in this regard than Mothim.

Don't use this

Unfezant @ Choice Scarf / Choice Band
Ability: Super Luck
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Aerial Ace
- U-turn
- Night Slash / Quick Attack

I've seen so many times this mon in low ladder that I finally decided to post something about why this thing is bad. First of all, 115 atk may seem appealing, but unfortunately this mon lacks the powerful flying move Brave Bird, which means it has to rely on a rather weak flying stab as in Aerial Ace to revenge kill fighting mons, making also its movepool really poor and outclassed. Also 93 base speed is outclassed by the bird below, which is also another reason to never use unfezant over him.

Use that

Dodrio @ Choice Scarf / Choice Band
Ability: Early Bird
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Brave Bird
- Knock Off
- Baton Pass / Quick Attack / Pursuit

Dodrio does its job as scarf revenge killer or cb wallbreaker way better than the bird above, while its attack may be sightly inferior to unfezant there's still no reason for not being used over him, 100 base speed and a better movepool are something the bird above could only be dreaming of, bbird is the strongest stab and hits really hard on its cb set, while also showing off useful tools such as knock off and pursuit, making this bird definitely the superior choice if you need a solid revenge killer for fighting mons with reliable stabs or a choiced wallbreaker who can punch holes through teams.

Warning you guys in advance, in case this set becomes super popular on the ladder for some reason:

DON'T USE THIS

Crustle @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- X-Scissor
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

For some reason, I thought Crustle would work well as an Assault Vest Pokemon. So I made this set, tested it out a bit, and guess what? It sucked. Long story short, you shouldn't use Crustle without Shell Smash or Spikes/Stealth Rock, which you can't use with an Assault Vest. Not only that, but I realized the AV was unnecessary, as with this spread Crustle already has good mixed bulk.

So if you want a bulky Crustle set, try this:

Crustle @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock / Spikes
- Stone Edge / Substitute
- Knock Off
- X-Scissor

There you go. I felt like with Crustle's good Defense, it could work well as a bulky hazard setter that isn't setup fodder. With Special Defense investment and a Careful nature, it can take hits while getting hazards up. Of course, if you want a good Assault Vest tank you could try Bouffalant or something.

Basically everything I just said also applies to Golem, except Defensive Golem is "meh" and it does better as a suicide lead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)