Gen VII: Pokemon Sun and Moon Discussion MKII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently from what the press is saying, HM01 is now Work Up. Begin speculating about what this means.
Okay, this whole thing with HMs and Ride Pokemon is getting really confusing. Like, why is Work Up of all moves an HM?

I'm going to try to make sense of it by saying Ride Pokemon replace travel-based HMs like Fly and Surf, but HMs used for puzzles like Strength and Cut will stay. Hopefully, there will be alternate choices for moves to use instead of HMs (like Leaf Blade, Superpower for Strength, etc.)

Apparently from what the press is saying, HM01 is now Work Up. Begin speculating about what this means.
Source? This would be really weird if it were to be the case, as HMs have always been obstacle moves and are now obsolete because of the PokeRide.

Well it used to be 35 Power with 95 Accuracy from Gen I to IV.
Yes, but it's still a change for the worse. They change Tackle power and accuracy in order to give it an advantage agaisnt Quick Attack. Now, they are equal in power and accuracy, but Quick Attack has priority.

HM = hidden machine, aka you have to find it somewhere in the game world. Maybe there's a massive expansion of hidden machines to give people who whined about no postgame another big scavenger hunt.
TM = technical machine, easily obtainable at a pokemart

Or all TMs become HMs now.

If we don't need HMs in the overworld anymore there's not really a good reason to maintain the TM/HM dichotomy.

Just a guess.

I just noticed that alolan pokecentre lacks a changing room. Iirc kalos pokecentres had changing rooms. This is going to make changing clothes a bit annoying.
Maybe you can now change your clothes anywhere, by accessing a menu in your bag.

Are you sure they said HM, and not TM? It doesn't make sense to have HMs that do nothing overworld, and the only one that may not be obsolete is Cut (and I really hope they just eliminate the trees).

Never, ever trust supposed leaks for 3DS games if a bottom screen isn't shown!

This stuff is effortless to fake without a bottom screen and is just a matter of watching a YT video or viewing an image. In this case, it's just the old footage from E3. I can't personally view the video myself, but others are saying the other screen isn't being shown.

I'm honestly a bit worried about movement, the stick of my 3ds is pretty much dead, I hope the + controller works in this game.

I'm honestly a bit worried about movement, the stick of my 3ds is pretty much dead, I hope the + controller works in this game.
I have a similar problem but with the "R" button which sucks bc some games basically require it to function (Luigi's Mansion 2) and Monster Hunter 4 (unless you like walking at a snail's pace). This is why I like games that have customisable controls (I have another 3DS with functioning buttons but that has another issue). Luckily Pokemon doesn't really use the R button (I think it is used in moving the bag but there were two alternate ways of doing this and it was really minor.)

50 BP was also really high for a starting move but I suppose it doesn't matter since since Gen VI you've got the STAB move as well so Tackle is mostly useless early game.

Can someone please provide me with the source to this HM01 Work Up thing ;;

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Actually, from what I understand, though that footage is fake people do "have" the demo downloaded on their 3DS. However its nothing but a placeholder as the demo itself hasn't been made available, just the space for it. Once the demo become available it'll download, but at this moment it's unplayable.

That said, screenshots for the demo has been shown and it does show we'll be trying out the Pokemon Snap Poke Finder feature:

I'm waiting for confirmation that HM01 is Work Up. Already the issue with HMs has become complicated due to Poke Rides but them changing it to a Move that doesn't have any seeable out of battle use just confounds the issue. Unless they're changing exactly what "Hidden Machine" means, I more see it becoming TM01. Currently TM01 is Hone Claws so replacing it with another buffing move isn't that big of a deal. Infact I'd say Work Up being TM01 makes more sense since wouldn't the first TM be the one you would most likely get first and have it be a basic buff move like Work Up? Hone Claws seems more like a specialty buffing move. And yes, in Gen V they had Work Up as TM83 which was replaced by Infestation in Gen VI. Honestly I think the TM list had needed an overhaul just in general, I think the TMs should honestly be numbered so that you either get them in order (thus if you missed on you'll know) or organized in someway. Right now they're all over the place and it just looks messy.

Also, why are we caring about Tackle being reduced to 40 Power? It's Tackle, aka probably on the first move we replace. It only exits for early game purposes so your Pokemon have something to attack with.

About the Tackle Base Power drop... maybe they are doing that to show new players that STAB exists? Given the basic STAB moves for starters also have 40 BP, anyone would notice the difference straight away.

Most unlike someone like me who learned that STAB existed about 8 years after playing Pokemon for the first time, and only because one of the clowns in Jubilife City explained that.

Last edited:
I could see Work Up being HM01 replacing Strength or Rock Smash would be hype. But I doubt the translation meant to say HM01.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Here's the source for those interested.
http://nintendowire.com/blog/2016/10/12/new-pokemon-sun-moon-details-emerge-press-preview-event/
Edit: Specifically for HM01, it got the info from Digital Spy's preview of the game that you can see yourselves by following this link.
http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/pokemon/review/a810712/pokemon-sun-and-moon-review/
Okay, that's not a typo:

It also seems that Pokémon Sun and Moon is throwing another long-standing series mainstay out the window too - HMs. Well, they've not entirely gone, but they're not exactly what we expected. Everyone who's played a Pokémon game to date knows that HM01 is Cut. Always has been, so why would it change?

Well, we got the first HM and it isn't Cut, it's Work Up. Whether the traditional HMs are being dealt with by the new Poké Ride system - where you can hire Pokémon to ride or fly you around - we're not quite sure yet, but we're incredibly intrigued.
They clearly mean Hidden Machines. Of course that's all they say. Maybe if we were given context to how they got HM01 or played around with it we might know, but all they said HM01 is Work Up. *sigh*

I have no idea what to take from this. As I said, Work Up I don't really see having a use outside of battle. Its called "Cheer Up" in Japan and its description is "The user is roused, and its Attack and Sp. Atk stats increase". That's nothing to really go on, like at best I'd say it would have a function in Pokemon Refresh. This makes me think they're putting a new connotation to the term "Hidden Machine". It's no longer a TM that has a required use outside of battle. Maybe it's just a hard to find TM, or maybe it has an outside of battle use but its nothing major and we'll be getting a whole batch of Hidden Machines this gen (like they could make Dig into a HM). Unless a more detailed review comes out I don't think we'll learn more about this, this doesn't seem like something the official site will mention. MAYBE the Demo might have something, give us a taste of how they changed HMs, but that's a big maybe. We'll probably have to wait until the games come out to learn what is actually going on.

That or the writer got HMs and TMs confused.

I like the idea that HM's would be removed/ toned down. With the addition of PokeRide, it seems most rides could replace HM's. Alternatively, I've always been a fan of the idea to still have the HM moves, such as cut, surf, fly, etc... but to make them TM's instead, like they did with Flash. Mostly, I just want them to remove the HM clause were you can't delete them easily to learn a new move, thus forcing you to see the Move Deleter.

I don't think the writer got HMs and TMs confused. It seems they know what they're talking about. They correctly stated that HM 01 is traditionally Cut, and mentioned a popular fan theory that HMs will be replaced with the poke-rides.

The problem is that I have no idea what Work Up's purpose would be as an HM, and idk if there's any evidence to support its potential use. Unless HMs are taking on a different meaning this gen.

Maybe it is future-proofing for any potential remakes? (Remakes would probably lack the PokeRide system.) They have changed the moves used in TMs and HMs during the same generation before, so maybe they are preserving the space?

But then why not just keep Cut as HM01? And if they are supposed to be hard to find, why Work Up as an HM and not a more useful move like Swords Dance or Hyper Voice? I am assuming that Fly and Surf will keep their numbers, but that is more due to their usefulness in battle. (Fly is definitely handy in-game, while Surf is still pretty good.)

The first thing I thought when seeing those dragons were that I'll have to run backup Moonblast on my little Sylveon. With right setting, that little dragon could work in Triples with Soundproof blocking the most overused spread attack ever.

Now, I feel like Type:Null evolving is completely odd. This changes expectation of its base stats and I'm now somewhat curious about how it'll be distributed in the story. I bet almost everyone thought that this was legendary-like that there's only one of those or at least not found anywhere else easily, but now with it revealed to be able to evolve... how will it be found? The lore behind it may be very interesting too.

I don't think the writer got HMs and TMs confused. It seems they know what they're talking about. They correctly stated that HM 01 is traditionally Cut, and mentioned a popular fan theory that HMs will be replaced with the poke-rides.

The problem is that I have no idea what Work Up's purpose would be as an HM, and idk if there's any evidence to support its potential use. Unless HMs are taking on a different meaning this gen.
It's not that difficult to understand.

TM exists no more. Now, all of them are called HM. HM 01 is Work Up as if it was Rock Slide, it doesn't matter. Of course, forgetting HMs wouldn't require a Move Deleter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)