How To Become Pro At Chaining

i agree. a chaining discussion with a link and perhaps a very brief overview of chaining in stark mountain may be a better way to go. that way people can post similar to the look what i bred thread.

Yea, I was thinking the same. Good call guys. I'll make that this weekend since I'm still chaining Beldums (slowly but surely) I'm at 8 shinies right now, sweeeet. Okay, well, that solves that problem. Thanks to those who are posting! I'm hoping to draw a larger crowd, but many people are busy with breeding and whatnot, so I'll take what I can get.

Suggestions on a catchy title??

hahaha, I was thinking that already!! I think I might do that. People will get pissed every time they click on the wrong link, and I will lol. But hopefully some of them will fall in love with chaining by accident. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of that immediately.

Yep, no one's posting here. New thread will be up tomorrow or Saturday. I'm on Beldum No. 13 right now, just snagged it. Owning this supposedly mighty pokemon feels damn good.

I'm posting here. Since I don't have to go to school and I haven't got a job yet, I don't really have much else to do except play games...

So I'll be posting here regularly

I've decided that my cut off for shiny pokemon will be 10. Why? Because I can't be ****ing bothered chaining after that. After you've seen the first few shinys of a species, your thumbs start to hurt and the novelty wears off.

Wow Dr.Enzyme, you're on fucking fire. Do you have Wi-Fi? Please say yes.
I managed to get 10 shiny voltorbs today. Not bad eh? Unfortunately Diesel, I don't have Wifi. Part 1 of the problem is that I don't have high-speed internet. Part 2 of the problem is that I don't have a wireless modem. Part 3 of the problem is that I live in New Zealand and wireless hotspots aren't as easy to find over here...

My Dad has wireless though, next time I'm at his place I'll tell you and we can trade.

Yeah, I'm glad a new thread was suggested. This one is good for people getting into chaining, but I want a place to discuss the chaining I'm doing. For instance, I caught 4 shiny Bonslys, put my DS in sleep mode to catch more later, and my brother took my game out of my DS so he could play it (we share an R4... he really should've asked first). So there goes that chain. At least I have a few.

I agree with everything on this page, except for the "bad formations" bit. Just where is the reasoning behind that? Granted I've never gotten to 40, but I never seem to have any trouble getting to about 35, and I've never heard about those before.

Keeping it simple is important, and if there's no real proof behind yet another rule, why include it?

Because they're right. Most of my broken chains have resulted from isolation or 3-away, while I have yet to break a chain when I have 2/4 or 3/4.

i would like a bit more explanation on the bad chains to be perfectly honest. two of my chains (including bronzor at 35) have been broken and i do not understand why it happened. i understand the concept that you're going for, but a more detailed explanation of that concept should really be emphasized.

(2,4) means nothing without an explanation. meaning the 2nd and 4th quadrants if we're putting this on a graph with the x and y axis going straight through the middle? what does it all mean? and you have way too many of the 1s, 2s, 3,s and 4s colored for seemingly one example. make a few seperate examples for both to really show "hey, this is a bad spot in spite of the fact that it looks really good."

I got to 38 in my Beldum's chain, but I spent 60 MAX REPELS and no shinies... how does it look in sandstorm the shiny patch? is it easy to see? maybe I didn't see someone... help!!

I agree with everything on this page, except for the "bad formations" bit. Just where is the reasoning behind that? Granted I've never gotten to 40, but I never seem to have any trouble getting to about 35, and I've never heard about those before.
I asked Diesel the same question. There is no explanation, they just work. If you want proof, I've been using Diesel's method for 4 days and I've gotten 26 shinys of various species. Prior to that, I used my own methods for chaining, and I only caught two shinys... Ever.

So there's your proof. Have faith in the method and it will reward you.

Linksage - Marrilpet and Enzyme are exactly right. There's no real explanation, that's just how it is. I don't think it's like breeding where there's specific formulas, you just have to pick up on and interpret the patterns. I'm just telling you that you have to trust it, because it's the way it is. I don't why it's that way, but I assure you it is, just have faith.

kingbattlus- Okay, I'll try to edit it with a further explanation soon.

Trust - They're very very easy to see, so I'm sure you didn't see one, you just need to get to 40. Your chances of seeing a shiny before 40 get exponentially worse the farther you are from 40 because of that formula. I think 1/800 is correct, or close enough.

I'll make a new thread tomorrow in Stark Mountain for discussion. As for my chain, I got 15 Beldums, which is pretty pro. The IV's and natures fucking suckkkkked though. I got 8 Modests, which was nice, but the other 7 had unusable natures, all were +SpDef or Def somehow. It sucks to spend so much time on a chain and do so well only to get screwed by IV's. Frustration.

You should still list them anyway in a trade thread or something, you'd be surprised what some people are looking for. I'd personally like an Impish one, defensive Metagross is sweet!
I have an Impish Bonsly who's IV's are something like
25/25/10/x/30/x (his speed is base 30 -_-)
It also has Rock Head, I was pleasantly surprised with my luck!
IMO Wood Hammer, Stone Edge, Low Kick, Sucker Punch is a pretty decent set with a Life orb or Expert Belt. He can take a physical hit or two and surprise a lot of people.

The other shiny Bonslys kind of sucked though.

Thanks Diesel. I will try to get a 40 chain, and after that, try to get some Adamant Beldums. What set do you want in your Beldum? The special one?

Just want to say thanks so much for this guide. With it I easily chained my first Shiny today (Starly).

Soma - Very nice!! Congrats! :D

Marril - Why 43? Nicely done, anyway. How'd it turn out?

Trust - Way to stick to it! Feels nice to finally break on through to the other side, eh?

NEW THREAD IS UP IN STARK MOUNTAIN, POST THERE!

Ok question:

Once you get to 40 and are only entering shiney patches, does the "only enter 4 aways" rule go out the window?

I ask because it seems to me that any shiney patches absolutely have to be shineys of the Pokemon you have been chaining up until now, so it's safe to enter any shiney patch?

Omg, I wish I had read this earlier. Today I was chaining and I broke a chain at 41! I had no idea the chance of seeing a shiny maxed out at 40... The funny thing is, it was a pokerader-only pokemon too. That was the highest chain I've ever done.

Very useful information, thanks. =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)